Madcatz Street Fighter V Fightstick Alpha

Comments

• FrankCastleAZFrankCastleAZ SRKTT Modder of the Year 2014 & AZHP Gaming Founder Joined: Posts: 910
    edited September 2015
    gahrling wrote: »
    That top panel still seems like a wrist-killer to me. Will wait to see what the final retail design is like..

I agree I'd rather have a flat panel. It'd also open up plexi options for customization. I believe if people have the option to buy a plexi for a stick later down the road to customize, they're more likely to buy it.
    It's probably too far into production for changes at this point though.
    SRK Tech Talk Modder of the Year 2014 - Best retail sticks of all time = Onyx/Pearl, TE1, Dragon, VLX
    AZHP Gaming - Providing casual and tournament video gaming services at events and conventions since 2006
    Paradise Arcade Shop <-- Buy all of your arcade parts from here
    Eightarc <-- Buy all of your arcade sticks from here (Code AZFGC2015 for $10 off $50+ or AZHPGAMING for $15 off $100+)
  • trinifella1trinifella1 Joined: Posts: 326
    Yea I'm not sure why companies think resting your wrist on a slanted surface is a good thing. The point of the slant in my opinion should be more for the forearm as opposed to the wrist
    "Foolish Worm"
  • buyproductbuyproduct Chemist for Hire Joined: Posts: 1,035
    I like the wrist slant. Its like typing on a keyboard.
    "weekly 8 on the break tournaments >>> cali majors " skyet
    "Lol, the break is pretty serious when the real players show up, because everyone is a killer! " Dr. Chaos
    8 on the Break weekly thread: http://forums.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=194801
  • codykcodyk 2,6 P+K+G Joined: Posts: 227
    Yea I'm not sure why companies think resting your wrist on a slanted surface is a good thing.

Maybe because almost every candy cab in existence has a slant or rounded bevel where your wrist rests?
  • Missing PersonMissing Person Quickly becoming the Sailor Moon S guy. Joined: Posts: 14,071
    It looks like a modern day Namco.

@MarkMan please tell me that's where the inspiration is coming from.
    XBL: WatCnBrwnDo4U | PSN: LanierIsPlusEV/FORpowerfulGame | CFN: MissingPerson/YddeDdeDe GGPO/FightCade: Missing Person | Steam: [TAS] Missing Person | Battle.net: MissingPersn#1365
    Twitter: JTMMissingPersn | Instagram: jtmmissingperson | Twitch: twitch.tv/missingpersonsrk
  • d3vd3v Coughing DAT PINK SPIT Joined: Posts: 37,296 mod
    I've played on small sticks and the corners always tends to irritate my wrist, especially when using "eagle claw" or "wineglass" grips.

If you use those grips (which are pretty common in asian arcades), then your wrist will fall naturally into the slanted area.
    I do prefer a stick with a slanted edge, but that's because it eases up on forearm irritation. Its a matter of preference (jeez how cliche is this line becoming) but I personally think that resting the wrist on a slant is giving your joints more work. I guess this is such a huge issue to me because i have a weak-ish left wrist from a soccer injury, but for ordinary persons this would be more than fine
    "Foolish Worm"
  • buyproductbuyproduct Chemist for Hire Joined: Posts: 1,035
    Well I dont rest my wrist on the slant, I rest the butt of my palm on the slant. But then again I use the right most six buttons and never use my thumb to hit buttons.
    "weekly 8 on the break tournaments >>> cali majors " skyet
    "Lol, the break is pretty serious when the real players show up, because everyone is a killer! " Dr. Chaos
    8 on the Break weekly thread: http://forums.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=194801
    ^Gateway stick as in gateway drug right? Lol, just making sure i understand you
    "Foolish Worm"
  • jigglypurinjigglypurin official pinkorb princess Joined: Posts: 26
    Yeah, an inexpensive, entry-level fightstick for people wanting to give arcade sticks a try.
    hey im tia. open for fightstick commissions if you're interested. psn: jigglypurin
    =) =) =) =) =) =)
    "Foolish Worm"
  • PresidentCamachoPresidentCamacho Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho Joined: Posts: 3,473

That's correct. Someone who buys an entry level stick with limited moddability will end up wanting more arcade sticks.
    Play Crimzon Clover, or go to hell.
  • ReirakuReiraku Joined: Posts: 938

That's correct. Someone who buys an entry level stick with limited moddability will end up wanting more arcade sticks.

This is basically what happened to me. Came here looking at SF4 skin mods, browsed a bit and saw some of the sticks displayed, suddenly sold my house and spent my life savings on my stick collection.

I might be homeless, but I have a Hori vlx Kuro.
  • ReirakuReiraku Joined: Posts: 938
    Reiraku wrote: »

This is basically what happened to me. Came here looking at SF4 skin mods, browsed a bit and saw some of the sticks displayed, suddenly sold my house and spent my life savings on my stick collection.

The VLX is almost big enough to sleep in.

I can actually fit in the cable compartment.
    ^LOL! Yall fools crazy
    "Foolish Worm"
  • General_AwesomoGeneral_Awesomo "Hyouh!" Joined: Posts: 372
    Darksakul wrote: »
    Reiraku wrote: »

The VLX is almost big enough to sleep in.

I am renting mine out to a small Mexican family of 50, they still say they plenty of room.
    Before that it was a Italian family of 45 and their dog.

@Darksakul, I'm stealing that joke lol.
    GT: GeneraI Awesomo USFIV Main: Vega
    PSN: General_Awesomo UMvC3 Team: Zero (β) / Taskmaster (α) / Vergil (γ)
  • xpulsexpulse Ice Ice Baby... Joined: Posts: 372
    Looking at this image, I think the height of the case is *just* enough for a JLF. I don't think it has a mounting plate though. So the shaft height is going to be funky for those who are used to the standard "sunk" height of joysticks these days.

If it's generic parts, a $40-50 range would be fine (cost of a new DS4). If they can cram in Sanwa for $60, that would make it a DAMN good deal all things considered. Couple that with a $100 game + stick combo (and possibly in-game incentive, like costumes), and you've got a rather appealing purchase option.
    "Do you know what happens to a toad when it gets struck by lightning?"
  • FurryCurryFurryCurry The World's Finest Joined: Posts: 5,648
    They should have done this last generation. I hope both this and the new pad are of great quality. I look back on all the third party fighting game pads I have and I don't think there is a single one I really like. May this be the first.

I'm sure this stick will be fine though. I still like the wireless hori one that came with Tekken 6? Madcatz can't do worse than that can they?
    where yo tear drop at, gangsta? I'm so hard my cheeks look like i've been watching a lifetime movie marathon so what's really hood. - Monte
  • PresidentCamachoPresidentCamacho Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho Joined: Posts: 3,473
    The SE filled that gap last gen, hori had several cheaper offerings as well.
    Play Crimzon Clover, or go to hell.
  • truendymiontruendymion Beer Me! Joined: Posts: 2,280
    I'm hoping it uses Sanwa parts. It should be feasible considering the size and its only 6 buttons...
    I'm making a fighting game!
    SRK thread - Discord server.
  • DarksakulDarksakul I find your lack of Faith Disturbing. Joined: Posts: 24,718
    I'm hoping it uses Sanwa parts. It should be feasible considering the size and its only 6 buttons...

A budget stick isn't going to use authentic parts
    “Strong people don't put others down... They lift them up.”
    - Darth Vader, Philanthropist
  • d3vd3v Coughing DAT PINK SPIT Joined: Posts: 37,296 mod

Actually might be feasible this time, especially seeing as MadCatz doesn't have a lower end stick with Sanwa parts at the moment.
  • NENDONENDO I will meditate and then destroy you. Joined: Posts: 3,356
    d3v wrote: »

Actually might be feasible this time, especially seeing as MadCatz doesn't have a lower end stick with Sanwa parts at the moment.

You don't know the future. ;)
  • DarksakulDarksakul I find your lack of Faith Disturbing. Joined: Posts: 24,718
    NENDO wrote: »
    d3v wrote: »

You don't know the future. ;)

I just going off past experiences with how Mad Catz (and Hori) always use generic parts in their cheaper sticks.
    “Strong people don't put others down... They lift them up.”
    - Darth Vader, Philanthropist
  • appoappo (¬‿¬) Joined: Posts: 5,100
    edited December 2015
    official prices and stuff now up
    http://madcatz.com/street-fighter-v-arcade-fightstick/

the new hori cheap entry sticks seems more attractive.
    with its price and 8 instead of 6 button layout.

http://shoryuken.com/2015/11/20/hori-fighting-stick-mini-4-now-available-through-arcade-shock/

edit: the german price difference is a joke on the madcatz ones...

• ogerrob147ogerrob147 Robbles Joined: Posts: 57
    Wait are they back-peddling on this thing being moddable? From the description on the official product page found here: http://store.madcatz.com/Street-Fighter-5-Arcade-FightStick-Alpha-for-PS4-PS3.html
    Alpha gives you a genuine feel for arcade battles, without the heft or customizable elements found within the world-renowned clan of Mad Catz Arcade FightSticks.
  • BurnYourEgoBurnYourEgo Ishikawa don't care about your weeabullshit avatar. Joined: Posts: 1,997
    edited December 2015
    ogerrob147 wrote: »
    Wait are they back-peddling on this thing being moddable? From the description on the official product page found here: http://store.madcatz.com/Street-Fighter-5-Arcade-FightStick-Alpha-for-PS4-PS3.html
    Alpha gives you a genuine feel for arcade battles, without the heft or customizable elements found within the world-renowned clan of Mad Catz Arcade FightSticks.

The case certainly looks like it's not meant to be opened, but I think they're more referring to the art/plexi/bezel and sideplate options. I think moddable is still on the table.
    Steam: BurnYourEgo: Terribly playing KOFXIII and Xrd, want to learn Skullgirls
    Fightcade:Bathtub_Leviathan: ST, maybe 3s
  • SleazoidSleazoid Joined: Posts: 4,744
    they probably just want to differentiate this from the TE2 where modding is as easy as pushing a button to open the case and moving around a few QDs.

you can modify anything with the knowledge and the tools, these sticks will still be moddable to some degree. it just won't be as accessible to the average buyer.
    ogerrob147 wrote: »

The case certainly looks like it's not meant to be opened, but I think they're more referring to the art/plexi/bezel and sideplate options. I think moddable is still on the table.

I hope so. The entire new stick lineup from Mad Catz is pretty disappointing. At this point I'm debating getting one of these and putting in new parts or gutting my 360 TE and putting a PS4 pcb inside.
  • BurnYourEgoBurnYourEgo Ishikawa don't care about your weeabullshit avatar. Joined: Posts: 1,997
    MarkMan wrote: »
    You can still mod it. It still fits standard Sanwa/Seimitsu parts.

It's meant to be an entry level arcade stick. The design idea behind it was because the current market and previous mini-arcade sticks always scaled down the parts as well (lever and buttons). It wasn't intuitive for someone playing on standard size setups and because of this the idea for the Alpha was born. Smaller form factor, compact, easy to travel with -- without sacrificing the true arcade layout.

Can you say if it has quick disconnects and a 5-pin or not, will we just have to wait and see? I'd buy one just as a prewired PCB so I could lift and transplant it into a case with a layout I like better. Don't have the time, space, and tools to deal with padhacking and such right now.
    Steam: BurnYourEgo: Terribly playing KOFXIII and Xrd, want to learn Skullgirls
    Fightcade:Bathtub_Leviathan: ST, maybe 3s
    Transplanting this into another stick would be pretty sweet, but I'm guessing it will be difficult to move the touchpad over to a new case?

Thanks for the reply Markman! It's really nice to see the S+ being offered on PS4. I'll pick one up eventually.
  • el_Principeel_Principe EL CHAPO Jr. Joined: Posts: 135
    Does this stick have the touchpad button? I don't care about the actual touchpad, just the button
  • buuduhbuuduh Joined: Posts: 44
    Will this stick come with sanwa parts in it already at that price point?