Zangief Match-Ups Thread

jchensorjchensor Salty ChenJoined: Posts: 1,934 admin
edited March 2016 in Zangief
If you’re having problems with a specific character match-up, look for advice here!

=== NOTE: If you want to become the OP for this thread so you can maintain the top post to aggregate the thread's information here, contact me via the SRK messaging system and I will be able to convert you to become the OP for this thread. ===
Post edited by jchensor on
http://jchensor.blogspot.com

"We don't stop playing because we get old. We get old because we stop playing." -- Doyle Brunson

"Every time you win, it diminishes the fear a little bit. You never really cancel the fear of losing; you keep challenging it." -- Arthur Ashe

(AV art obtained from here: http://meatbun.us/blog/?p=162)

Comments

• USMCOgreUSMCOgre I am an asshole,thnx Joined: Posts: 142
    Seriously, WTF do you do against that little bitch Rashid. So fucking annoying trying to get in through his projectile.
  • Janitor NedJanitor Ned Joined: Posts: 139
    Where are we on Gief vs Banana?
  • TekkenManTekkenMan Joined: Posts: 77
    USMCOgre wrote: »
    Seriously, WTF do you do against that little bitch Rashid. So fucking annoying trying to get in through his projectile.

Man he's a bitch to handle but I have had success using the V skill against his tornadoes when they playing turtle. I have more trouble with Nash!!!! Any tips?
  • TresjinTresjin Joined: Posts: 529
    Zangief vs. Dhalsim. So far the only advice I've heard is "Just put down the stick and wait for it to end." Anyone got anything better?
  • JoshkazJoshkaz Princess Luna is my Waifu Joined: Posts: 15,342
    Looks like an impossible match. 9-1/10-0 in sim's favor easily.
    Gief has nothing to boost him forward and Lariat lost all it's invulnerability making catching limbs insanely hard to impossible. Sim also can rush the shit down free.
    "You embarrass me," said Shadow, smiling. Then Shadow took his penis out and picked Cream up. "Let me charge up for a super ejaculation!" Shadow laid Cream down on the ground and then took his penis with him, which was already huge and shaking with sex energy, and found Cream's Piggy Bank, which was full of coins and dollars and things to save up for money, so she could buy what she wanted when she had enough inside it. Shadow took it and using his muscular penis, smashed a hole right through the piggy bank so now it was sitting on top of his penis like a hat. Shadow's penis looked like it belonged in a fashion show.
  • RedieRedie Joined: Posts: 34
    Joshkaz wrote: »
    Gief has nothing to boost him forward and Lariat lost all it's invulnerability making catching limbs insanely hard to impossible. Sim also can rush the shit down free.

Usually, dhalsim will mass his st.med punch so you can jumping hk to his aim, it requires a little bit of timing but worth to try.
    Can't you just headbutt his limbs, or EX Bear Grab through a grounded read?
  • USMCOgreUSMCOgre I am an asshole,thnx Joined: Posts: 142
    I feel like everyone can rush Gief down pretty easy now since SPD has such shitty start up now besides EX. I really hope capcom makes him stop sucking eventually with Super Mega Hyper SFV Arcade Edition 2019

• J0E LEWISJ0E LEWIS Always Godlike Joined: Posts: 834
    edited February 2016
    Sim is even. The game obviously has to mature but the fact that he does not have an answer to light normals in the poke game and upclose makes really tough for him to escape and comfortably zone.

F.A.N.G is tougher but when he gets knocked down, hes just as free.
    I am a member of Always Godlike.
    You can find more information about our Team what what we do at.
    alwaysgodlike.com
  • LariatoGrillLariatoGrill Joined: Posts: 62
    I feel like everyone can rush Gief down pretty easy now since SPD has such shitty start up now besides EX. I really hope capcom makes him stop sucking eventually with Super Mega Hyper SFV Arcade Edition 2019

all SPD are 5frames, even EX SPD and it has no invincible frames or armor. Use more V-reversal that's your own chance to get out of Karin's "Kanzuki's hell of pressure".
    Sorry for my bad English, I'm from South Korea (feels like a meme, but I'm serious!)

all SPD are 5frames, even EX SPD and it has no invincible frames or armor. Use more V-reversal that's your own chance to get out of Karin's "Kanzuki's hell of pressure".

You cannot rush geif down. the first of getting thrown is still there. We just need to have real defense and not rely on reversals and jabs to get us out of sticky situations. Guessing on an opponents offense works both ways

Save V meter for ex reversal to get them off of you, because when you do and it connects, they are in a throw mix-up.

Bear grab has armor btw, we dont just have SPD at our disposal.
    alwaysgodlike.com
  • chief713chief713 Texas Cyclone Joined: Posts: 618

V-Reversal. Gief gains V meter ridiculously fast with his V-Skill. If you're getting rushed down and killed before you can even get a bar of V meter, then you need to play better. But in my matches (and not saying I'm gdlk cause I'm not) I almost ALWAYS have a V bar. If I block a jump-in I wasn't expecting or get swept and put in a mixup, I block and VR that shit.
  • Raz0rRaz0r Did you really just write that? Joined: Posts: 26,120 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    This Sim match up needs to die.
    Raz0r wrote: »
    I love punk's posting style. Those emotes are hilarious.
  • filldohfilldoh Chief Beata Bitch Joined: Posts: 1,195

Try crouching medium punch seems to beat his light attacks. People keep forgetting about the priority system heavies beat mediums, mediums beat lights. Sim really doesn't seem that bad to me. Nacalli on the other hand is very difficult for me right now. After a stomp he can back dash for free. Anyone got any tips
  • GunmadGunmad Joined: Posts: 96

As LoyalSol has said, you can use V-skill to catch his limbs. You can use medium and heavy bear grabs to catch his TP on his wakeup.
    Seriously though, how do you beat the banana?
  • LLStoolJLLStoolJ Joined: Posts: 88
    Ok....all other match ups seem pretty decent if controlled effectively (EVEN SIM) but I came across a Rashid who just spammed qcf.Lk and qcf.Hk and when I finally got in he just V Skilled out of there.
    I could not do anything. Even J.SPD couldnt hit him as he was always covered by a fireball.

It wasn't as if I wasn't patient, in fact one of the games timed out but OMFG that match-up is hard if played in that manner

Any tips?

SFV-Gief, Vega / SFIV-Gief, Vega / KI-Tusk, RAAM
    GGXRD-Potemkin / BlazBlue-Tager / 3S-Alex

TEAM BIG BODY!

LLStoolJ
    Youtube/LLStoolJ
    LLStoolJ wrote: »
    Ok....all other match ups seem pretty decent if controlled effectively (EVEN SIM) but I came across a Rashid who just spammed qcf.Lk and qcf.Hk and when I finally got in he just V Skilled out of there.
    I could not do anything. Even J.SPD couldnt hit him as he was always covered by a fireball.

It wasn't as if I wasn't patient, in fact one of the games timed out but OMFG that match-up is hard if played in that manner

Any tips?
    Parry and Headbut to deal with fireballs really helps in this matchup, parry at distance and Headbutt in sweep range.
    for the VSkill him jumping away, it is easy to react with jumping jab as that comes out in 5 frames and has a great hit box.
  • JoshkazJoshkaz Princess Luna is my Waifu Joined: Posts: 15,342
    For nearly every matchup J.LP and st.lp will just put a stop to any shenanigans someone is trying to do.
    "You embarrass me," said Shadow, smiling. Then Shadow took his penis out and picked Cream up. "Let me charge up for a super ejaculation!" Shadow laid Cream down on the ground and then took his penis with him, which was already huge and shaking with sex energy, and found Cream's Piggy Bank, which was full of coins and dollars and things to save up for money, so she could buy what she wanted when she had enough inside it. Shadow took it and using his muscular penis, smashed a hole right through the piggy bank so now it was sitting on top of his penis like a hat. Shadow's penis looked like it belonged in a fashion show.
  • AznDreamerAznDreamer Joined: Posts: 247
    Who here can help this guy out in learning frame rates and such? Z is my main and it is so hard at this point without the use of GH. I, too ended up trying to use GH a few times. GaH!!
    edited February 2016
    Geif Dhalsim is 5/5 A majority of matchup problems can be solved from using Jab more.

Get this fucking SF4 logic out of your heads. Stop letting an old game influence your opinions on a new game. I know its hard, but you just have to.
    alwaysgodlike.com
    Yup. Trying to forget IV. Used a lot of jabs and s.hk works well. Just have to utilize it better and play a bit more defensively.
  • Zangiefs_chest_beardZangiefs_chest_beard Joined: Posts: 78
    Struggling hard vs vega. Any tips?
    Have not faced a Vega yet. Lots of R. Mika and Rashid today. One Bison and shotos. But I've won 7 in a row so far. Not too shabby for a noob like myself. The headbutt is so useful guys. Use it.
    edited February 2016
    AznDreamer wrote: »
    Who here can help this guy out in learning frame rates and such? Z is my main and it is so hard at this point without the use of GH. I, too ended up trying to use GH a few times. GaH!!

Frame data follows these basic rules.

On block
    0 is not a number. it is zero. Think of it as "neutral".
    Meaning, if Zangeifs crouching HK is 0 frame of advantage on block, that means the move does create any advantage or disadvantage

Negative numbers delay your ability to do an action based on the number after the "-" sign.
    If Zangeifs crouching HK is -5 on block, you cannot make a "neutral action" for 5 additional frames.

Positive numbers delay your opponents ability to make an action based on the number.
    If Zangeifs crouching HK is +5 on block, your opponent cannot make a "neutral action" for 5 additional frames.

Think of a neutral action like you are standing there not doing anything, and you press a button.

This can be applied to punishes also.

If Zangeifs crouching HK is -5 on block, your opponent can punish that move with a move with a startup equal to or less than that number.

I personally think of hit and block advantage as currency.

So lets say I have a move that is +10 on hit. I'll use the Zangeif HK example again.

Zangeifs crouching HK connects on my opponent for +10 on hit.
    I now have 10 dollars to spend on another attack. (I can use another move that is 10 frames or less and it will connect. )

Because my move is +10 on hit, I choose to use (spend) that advantage by using a Cr.LP which is +4 on hit and have 3 frames of startup..

*The next move you use, you use the currency of THAT move for your spenditure, The advantage from the previous attack no longer exists.*

Because my move is +4 on hit, I choose to use (spend) that advantage on another cr.lp which is +4 on hit and have 3 frames of startup.

This is where pushback comes in. All moves in fighting games push you back. This is so you can't just go a crouching LP and a specific chain of moves for an infinite amount of time.

It's a bit more complicated than that, however, I consider that the general jist. Feel free to ask questions, because this may be a little over complicated.

alwaysgodlike.com
  • MeeefiusMeeefius Joined: Posts: 15
    edited February 2016
    How can I beat Cammy's s.mk with gief? This move can beat all my poking tools like s.mp, s.lk or cr.lp.
    Joe. A bit, yes. But I do understand it somewhat, surprisingly. Thank you though. I guess I'll try and start learning a new thing.

I've always been a casual fighter. Not caring about frame data or anything at all. Not very fun when you get your a$$ handed to you more often than you want.

I'll have some game play up in a few I did last night. Feel free to call me scrub or whatever. Ha. Thought I might get suggestions and critiques of things I do and do not do.
    Meeefius wrote: »
    How can I beat Cammy's s.mk with gief? This move can beat all my poking tools like s.mp, s.lk or cr.lp.

I've been pretty successfull with cr. lp, cr.mp and fHp. Still very tough to deal with tho.
    Meeefius wrote: »

Crush counter with standing hard kick from distance. Beats it clean
  • scratchbackscratchback Joined: Posts: 1,043
    It's impossible learning anything matchup-wise when every single player I'm paired with in casual matches is a horrendous freaking scrub. I knew it would be bad but good lord lol. People literally mashing every single special move with no purpose or reason. Mashing lights when I'm half screen away, nowhere near them. Really?
    edited February 2016
    Fang tips:

When he does the poison grounded attack walk forward and block it will go away.
    When he does vskill don't try to avoid it this is your chance to dash forward and keep backing him to the corner.
    Armored moves are useless so don't use them. Main buttons in neutral are c.jap, st. Mp, s. Roundhouse, st. Mk.

Now once you get him to the corner stand at sweep range and pressure with cr jab mainly. If he jumps back cr jab recovers fast enough to cr hp on reaction. If you continue to cr jab eventually they will try to do the slide teleport. If you are able to end the round with an spd do it on reaction. If you can't end the round do a normal throw to put them back in the corner. As long as you stay at max jab spd range he can't get out
    Q: How do I learn matchups when I am fighting against scrubs!? They just do shit!

A: Then don't do shit. Most of the time a lot of issues can be solved by just doing less and not trying to force anything. If you they push buttons on their wake don't push buttons when you knock them down. It's ok to let people get up. You can learn a lot from a player by just letting them get off the ground. It also gives them a false sense of comfort. Players don't like the feeing of being powerless. No one does. Use that irrational fear to their advantage.
    alwaysgodlike.com
  • Raz0rRaz0r Did you really just write that? Joined: Posts: 26,120 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    I tend to just record stuff with characters I want to learn to play against. Trying to learn Zangief online is a monumental waste of time as most people are not very good.
    Raz0r wrote: »
    I love punk's posting style. Those emotes are hilarious.
  • Kanon42Kanon42 Joined: Posts: 96
    Anybody have tips for nash? I seem to get stomped by people well below me and it's frustrating.
    edited February 2016
    Kanon42 wrote: »
    Anybody have tips for nash? I seem to get stomped by people well below me and it's frustrating.

V-skill his backfist and medium scythe into l.spd. After eating few of those be ready for his dash > grab.
    Keep an eye on his v-trigger gauge. His trigger loses to meaties. His v-reversal is even more annoying, but afaik you can meatie into spd to snatch him out of it (feels more like a hard read if anything).
    Super is his only inv. move.
    When he is throwing slow boom and is walking behind it you can try lariat to bypass the projectile and hit him outside of whatever normal he was going to do (again, risky)
    Pay very close attention to his super bar. When you jump over boom and he is doing super, you can do regular air spd to bypass it.
    When he vtriggers on top of you, you can do lariat (usually trades), not sure if you can st lp or dhp...
    And learn to headbutt those booms.
    Post edited by Gunmad on
  • DhalsimownsDhalsimowns Joined: Posts: 976
    ok honestly, is there anything to do vs ryu? You simply cant catch him cause giefs walk speed is too slow. Then he can just jump to other side and runs away even more. I mean, in ST gief could dash over lows, and had green hand, and his lariat worked. I cant even stop incoming jump kicks with the lariat because it starts up so late.
  • DhalsimownsDhalsimowns Joined: Posts: 976
    Struggling hard vs vega. Any tips?

Lariat that dive and play def. Dont chase him. Also, pray.
  • Kanon42Kanon42 Joined: Posts: 96
    ok honestly, is there anything to do vs ryu?

Versus a good ryu, this match takes patience. Vskill/headbutt through fireballs with occasional jumps when safe to gain ground. Be wary of dash ins. St lp on reaction can shut that down. Also I find f. Hp to be useful for that too.

If he jumps in, cr. Hp for when you have time. St lp if you don't have much time. If it looks too late, just block. It's better than eating a full damage combo and losing your ground. If your reactions are really good air spd will scare him out of ever jumping again, which is good for business.

Keep pushing him to corner, when you have him at the corner hold your ground at about sweeps distance and pressure him with st. Mk./ cr. Mk./st. Lp. Punish his whiffs, and throw down a l. Spd when he starts turtling. If he tries to jump back then rh him on the way down. If forward, cr. Hp./st. Lp/air spd will put him back in the corner.

Vega Tips

Standing LP any dive, lariat works but is inconsistent. air SPD if you have time though.
    From Neutral dont use a lot of S. HP as his slide kills it. His standing MP beats most buttons you have but Parry Destroys him from sweep distance. Walk forward pressuring with Cr. Jab from distance and Parry on reaction at sweep range, it beats all his options.
    Dont forget his jab is 3 frames so some of your frame traps arent as good on him.
    once you knock him down meaty headbutt everytime, it kills his wakeup options. This is a very even match and will most likely go to full time against a good vega.

Ryu Tips
    Cr Jab from Distance beats every button he has except CC. If you can get him to start throwing this out in neutral though parry and get a free J. SPD.
    Dont headbutt fireballs!!! Parry as many as you can, you need v trigger for this match because once you have that you take away his best tool fireballs.
    Headbutt on his wakeup is your best option but he can uppercut you, if you read that though free 300-500 damage.
    In my opinion this matchup is in Gief's Favor.

• chief713chief713 Texas Cyclone Joined: Posts: 618
    Also, don't jump at Vega when he has VT. He can punish with a VT combo for free.