SFV Character Request/Anticipation Thread

Comments

• NCK_FeroceNCK_Feroce In Makoto I Trust Joined: Posts: 3,078
    Shoto= Shotokan karate practitioner. Sakura and Akuma are shotos,Sagat not.
    DarthEnder wrote: »
    Cestus wrote: »
    VARIETY

Let's be real pls
    VohLLOR.png
    Looks like a pretty diverse variety of fighting styles to me.

Different unique traits starting from an unique subject (Cammy). Probably we gonna have just one of them, but then the shoto hate need to stop.
  • HawkingbirdHawkingbird I am thou...thou art I Joined: Posts: 26,243
    NCK_Feroce wrote: »

Shoto is an archetype.
    PSN: Hawkingbird
    FC: 0834-1564-0151
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/runawayavenger
  • gigglzgigglz Joined: Posts: 493
    Incorrect.

Anyone with a QCF projectile and a DPM rising physical attack is a shoto.

Sakura, Akuma, Sagat and Seth are shotos. Gouken and Sean are not.

So a character with a qcb projectile and a reverse dp motion uppercut is technically not a shoto..?

Wait, is poison a shoto?!
    gigglz wrote: »
    Incorrect.

So a character with a qcb projectile and a reverse dp motion uppercut is technically not a shoto..?

Wait, is poison a shoto?!

Yes. She's a shoto with a rekka.
  • just5moreminutesjust5moreminutes Eagle will return Joined: Posts: 7,908
    Incorrect.

So Juri, Rashid, and Ibuki are shotos?
    Incorrect.

Rashids rising physical move is technically not a dp motion.. but yeah, according to this rule juri and ibuki have been turned into shotos in SFV
  • shadokenshadoken Joined: Posts: 564
    edited November 2016
    Cipher wrote: »
    shadoken wrote: »
    To summ this up:
    Lets kill the varierty of the cast,for people who won't stay anyway.

I rather take fucking Q over Sagat,Akuma or Sakura and I hate Q.

I mean you can use this same argument for people wanting niche characters too. People asking for Sodom,Q..etc. People are just going to try them out and then dump them after the novelty wears off. At least Sagat,Akuma,Sakura players will stick to the character.

Also why are you making it out like this is my opinion? I am just trying to guess how Capcom would handle the situation. Personally I dont want Season 2 to be overrun with Shotos or SF2 characters again. But you need to understand the situation of the game and why they are important.

To me every character added in S2 must contribute to variety in Gameplay,Visual/Character design Diversity or National Diversity. Someone like Sakura barely does any of this. At least Sagat is from a different country.

If we get OG SF2 Lanky Sagat thats another plus point for visual diversity since we dont have a Tall Skinny character.
    Whelp, I'll make sure we get Maki over Guy now.

I dont mind Maki if they change her design. But is she ends up being just another Blonde Waifu Clone of a better character = meh.
  • S_KelsonS_Kelson Joined: Posts: 143
    edited November 2016
    But do we really care much about how specifically "shoto" is defined (and to even assert there is one proper functional definition for something that isn't a real word may very well be a mistake)? I think what we actually care about is whether or not the inclusion of these "shoto-ish" characters will take away from the cast's diversity, whether or not it is a good move for Capcom to add these characters, whether or not the characters can be reinvented so that they are different from other "shoto-ish" characters while still retaining their niche in the roster (like Ken in SF5)....etc.

Like I said, "shoto" isn't even a "real" word, so we all have different conceptions of the meaning of "shoto". I for example, do not consider Ibuki, Juri, or Rashid to be shotos because, among many other reasons, they don't have meterless reversals (their upwards moving attacks), and their projectiles are unconventional. And this is of course an arbitrary distinction I'm making (who is to say where the lines get drawn for what makes something too different to be considered a shoto-kit), but I think most people agree with me and do not consider those characters to be shotos. At the same time, I wouldn't say that someone is wrong for calling Ibuki a shoto, since those people are probably just thinking of the conceptualization of "shoto"-ism as in - 1. Has a projectile, 2. Has a move with uppercut trajectory

What we all want (at least most of us) is characters that are legitimately unique and not half-baked in their design inspirations. I personally don't really want Akuma, since I think he is the closest to the typical "shoto" conceptualization. Unlike Sagat and Sakura, who possess more nuanced versions of the Ryu-toolkit (and with some very different normals), Akuma is pretty much what happened when Capcom said "lets make an OP version of Ryu/Ken" and then gave him no health to compensate. Because of this I think it would be very difficult to dinstinguish Akuma from the whole shoto idea while still maintaining his original appeal to make Akuma players happy. With Sakura and Sagat though, I think its easily doable
    3S- Oro, some Q
    USFIV- Gen, Rufus
    SFV- Karin
  • The_ShakunetsuThe_Shakunetsu COULD YOU NAME ALL THE CHARACTERS APPEARED IN MY PIC? (spoilers is in my sig) Joined: Posts: 3,356
    edited November 2016
    Shadaloo Dolls with weapon and in pair should work nowhere as a clone but closer to the play style often used in anime fighters for those that desire waifu they get 2 in 1. Combined effort also reflect the weakness and capabilities of the Dolls that they even have a hard time with Birdie.

If in case there would be a Jianyu and Xianyu:

latest?cb=20140212230027

I believe Xiayu and Jianyu would do work as a Pair Character like Choi and Chang CVS2

Or something like this...

Interesting would be they are fighting with "combined efforts" which would reflect their characterization and capabilities in the storymode as a Shadaloo Doll..

It will also serve as a great nostalgic reference for Alpha's Dramatic Battle/Mode and a recollection to the encounter with both Juli and Juri at the same time in Alpha 3 which is a rare event in SF game history. This is probably the right moment and only chance for us to have a dual fighter in a character selection Because of their much design space for their characterization is a potential.

Post edited by The_Shakunetsu on

SFV Arcademode, Storymode with SFA3 World Tour Challenges & Vtrigger/Vskill ideas
    Arcade Mode Concepts - Better than traditional Arcade Mode | Story Mode Suggestion - Battle Challenges, Battle Attack & Battle Type | V-Trigger & V-Skill Ideas

Character Wishlist SFV, DBFZ and MVCi

My DB Characters for DBFZ
    Solo Characters
    1.) Picolo
    2.) Killin
    3.) Kid Buu
    4.) Pikon
    5.) Hit
    6.) Broly - legendary
    7.) Super Janemba
    8.) Gotenks SSJ3
    9.) Great Ape Baby or Adult Form
    10.) Syn Shenron - can transform to Omega
    11.) Caulifa
    12.) Kale
    13.) Hirudegarn

Pair/Tag Character - Can be either like the implementation of this characters in the named game: Choi with Chang in CVS2, Cait with Sith in Code Chaos, Hisuii with Kohaku in MB, Danny with Demi in the Outfoxies, Jie Mei Hua in Dong Dong Never Dies and Groove-&-Fight's Oume with Otane.
    14.) Android 18 with Andriod 17
    15.) Rose with Zamasu
    16.) Dr Jero with Andriod 19
    17.) Yamcha with Puar
    18.) Dabura and Babidi

Team Character - Can be either like the implementation of this characters in the named game: Captain Commando in MVC2, Doronjo in TVC, Tronbone in MVC2 or Ace Attorney in UMVC3.
    19.) Tien - Some specials summons Chiaozu and Launch
    20.) Ginew Forces - with The Ginew Forces Plays like (Captain Commando in MVC2 or Doronjo in TVC)
    21.) Meta Cooler - Plays like Ultron in MVCi
    22.) Roshi - Some specials summons Turtle and Oolong
    23.) Napa - Summon numerous Saibamen (like Gargos Ki or Tronbone in MVC2)
    24.) Bojack

My Capcom Characters for Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite
    SIGMA X ULTRON HENCHMEN- Consist of bounty hunters, heroes rival, dominant forces and altered or robotized Capcom characters.

1.) Cyber Akuma - Akuma with cybernetic enhancement, Ryu's recurring rival.
    2.) Mecha Zangief - A Zangief cloned Repliod.
    3.) Devilot with Super-8 from Cyberbots. (older version that look like Doronjo and plays like Doronjo TVC and Trone bonne combined)
    4.) Cyborg Charlie Nash -MvSF Bison's Ending with Shadow lady missiles and electric shock

CAPCOM- New Characters

1.) Felyne - from Monster Hunter (rival to Rocket Racoon)
    2.) Hauzer - from Warzard (Godzilla and Kaiju)
    3.) Son-Son - the original son-son (male) (Goku) (plays like Tekkaman Blade in TVC)
    4.) Nina - from Breath of Fire (plot can be from the cause of using Reality Gem)
    5.) Saturn Dyer - Plasma Sword Character (The Mask) (plays like Yatterman -1 in TVC)
    6.) Tessa/Tabasa - from Warzard (her previous plots revolves on crystals involvement)
    7.) Pure and Fur - Protector of Capcom world.
    8.) Rouge - Power Stone (her previous plots revolves on acquiring power stones involvement)
    9.) Anita(Older) (DS/VS What if Character) - A like a Jojo bizzare character/persona/shaman king, summoner that summons Donovan and his sword (Touhou)
    10.) Ingrid - A crossover character
    11.) Ruby Heart - MVC2 (Magic stone involvement) Pirate
    12.) Asura - from Asura's Wrath.
    13.) Astaroth - from Ghost and Goblins size is like Dormammu or from Project-X-Zone
    14.) Nero - Devil May Cry (mix of Vergil, Dante and TVC Soki)
    15.) Shoma - Rival Schools

MARVEL

1.) Doom
    2.) Spider-man
    3.) Wolverine
    4.) Thanos
    5.) Venom
    6.) Cyclops

My Characters for SF5's 3rd Season on wards

Different Playstyle I want in SFV
    1.) Xianyu and Jianyu - as a pair fights like Choi and Chang in CVS2.
    2.) Delta Red Rep!! - Can play like Captain Commando.
    3.) Yun and Yang - play like how rival school or Capcom Fighting Jam works you can switch characters after or before round in matches.

Characters I want to return
    1.) Haggar
    2.) Eagle
    3.) Maki
    4.) Sodom
    5.) Blanka
    6.) Lee - Drunken master
    7.) Feilong -(with Iron Fist playstyle like in UMVC3)
    8.) Necro
    9.) Oro - all projectile are now angled diagonally like Dr Fate(Injustice2) to be different from sim & other shoto
    10.) Sagat
    11.) Q
    12.) Viper

Characters and concepts that need to explored before going to SF3 Timeline
    1.) Tom
    2.) Effie
    3.) Byron
    4.) Noembelu

Designs I want to see again in SF
    1.) Asuka (from concept design) - play like KOF kazumi and Hokuto from SFex
    2.) Wraith (Slam Master)

SFV Guest from SF expansions
    1.) Skullomania
    2.) Garuda
    If we get OG SF2 Lanky Sagat thats another plus point for visual diversity since we dont have a Tall Skinny character.
    latest?cb=20160619020207

I dont mind Maki if they change her design. But is she ends up being just another Blonde Waifu Clone of a better character = meh.

I mean, Maki isn't TRULY a clone of Guy unless you would consider Gouken a clone of Ryu. Normals are completely different, and CvS2 Maki has:
    -Back Run
    -Invincible move that costs health
    -Air SPD

At the cost of not having Guy's target combos, spin kick, or flip+grab. The only reason I consider them mutually exclusive (before something like Season 5/6 if we get there) in the roster is that their moveset is built around a run into follow ups, which kind of makes whomever is second redundant.
  • RacconRaccon Tears of joy Joined: Posts: 938
    More than shotos, dolls, newbies or whoever on the scene, the game needs to be relaunched. Take the same route of Super SF4 (tons of chars, content and stages) and boom: we got more casuals buying this game.
    Bring Rose back, Capcom!
    edited November 2016

I mean, Maki isn't TRULY a clone of Guy unless you would consider Gouken a clone of Ryu. Normals are completely different, and CvS2 Maki has:
    -Back Run
    -Invincible move that costs health
    -Air SPD
    At the cost of not having Guy's target combos, spin kick, or flip+grab. The only reason I consider them mutually exclusive (before something like Season 5/6 if we get there) in the roster is that their moveset is built around a run into follow ups, which kind of makes whomever is second redundant.[/quote]

Rofl ... I forgot that character existed. But yea maybe they could both come in S2 , Maki being more scramble/oki based like Elf fuerte. And Guy being the traditional RTSD.

Also Bushin grab has to be one of the best looking moves in SF. Seeing that Target combo -> Bushin flip grab was always so cool in Alpha 3. Its what got me interested in the character.
  • The_ShakunetsuThe_Shakunetsu COULD YOU NAME ALL THE CHARACTERS APPEARED IN MY PIC? (spoilers is in my sig) Joined: Posts: 3,356
    Raccon wrote: »
    More than shotos, dolls, newbies or whoever on the scene, the game needs to be relaunched. Take the same route of Super SF4 (tons of chars, content and stages) and boom: we got more casuals buying this game.

Wait after season 2 or season 3... when Capcom would post something asking if consumers wanted a sequel...

SFV Arcademode, Storymode with SFA3 World Tour Challenges & Vtrigger/Vskill ideas
    Arcade Mode Concepts - Better than traditional Arcade Mode | Story Mode Suggestion - Battle Challenges, Battle Attack & Battle Type | V-Trigger & V-Skill Ideas

Solo Characters
    1.) Picolo
    2.) Killin
    3.) Kid Buu
    4.) Pikon
    5.) Hit
    6.) Broly - legendary
    7.) Super Janemba
    8.) Gotenks SSJ3
    11.) Caulifa
    12.) Kale
    13.) Hirudegarn

Pair/Tag Character - Can be either like the implementation of this characters in the named game: Choi with Chang in CVS2, Cait with Sith in Code Chaos, Hisuii with Kohaku in MB, Danny with Demi in the Outfoxies, Jie Mei Hua in Dong Dong Never Dies and Groove-&-Fight's Oume with Otane.
    15.) Rose with Zamasu
    17.) Yamcha with Puar
    18.) Dabura and Babidi

Team Character - Can be either like the implementation of this characters in the named game: Captain Commando in MVC2, Doronjo in TVC, Tronbone in MVC2 or Ace Attorney in UMVC3.
    20.) Ginew Forces - with The Ginew Forces Plays like (Captain Commando in MVC2 or Doronjo in TVC)
    24.) Bojack

SIGMA X ULTRON HENCHMEN- Consist of bounty hunters, heroes rival, dominant forces and altered or robotized Capcom characters.

3.) Devilot with Super-8 from Cyberbots. (older version that look like Doronjo and plays like Doronjo TVC and Trone bonne combined)
    4.) Cyborg Charlie Nash -MvSF Bison's Ending with Shadow lady missiles and electric shock

CAPCOM- New Characters

3.) Son-Son - the original son-son (male) (Goku) (plays like Tekkaman Blade in TVC)
    4.) Nina - from Breath of Fire (plot can be from the cause of using Reality Gem)
    5.) Saturn Dyer - Plasma Sword Character (The Mask) (plays like Yatterman -1 in TVC)
    6.) Tessa/Tabasa - from Warzard (her previous plots revolves on crystals involvement)
    8.) Rouge - Power Stone (her previous plots revolves on acquiring power stones involvement)
    9.) Anita(Older) (DS/VS What if Character) - A like a Jojo bizzare character/persona/shaman king, summoner that summons Donovan and his sword (Touhou)
    13.) Astaroth - from Ghost and Goblins size is like Dormammu or from Project-X-Zone

MARVEL

1.) Doom
    2.) Spider-man
    3.) Wolverine
    4.) Thanos
    5.) Venom
    6.) Cyclops

3.) Yun and Yang - play like how rival school or Capcom Fighting Jam works you can switch characters after or before round in matches.

1.) Haggar
    2.) Eagle
    3.) Maki
    4.) Sodom
    5.) Blanka
    6.) Lee - Drunken master
    8.) Necro
    9.) Oro - all projectile are now angled diagonally like Dr Fate(Injustice2) to be different from sim & other shoto
    10.) Sagat
    11.) Q
    12.) Viper

1.) Tom
    2.) Effie
    3.) Byron
    4.) Noembelu

2.) Wraith (Slam Master)

1.) Skullomania
    2.) Garuda
  • CipherCipher Catchphraser Joined: Posts: 1,813

SF Shotos are a bunch of headswaps with not much more charadesign than try hard to pretend old SFA Ryu sprite-edits are now someway unique, but at the end they are what they are

At least be fair.

You should also finaly learn what waifu means, you spit the term without knowing it.
    SteamId, leave a comment before adding!
    Street Fighter: Cammy, Rose
    Tekken: When's Jun? , Asuka
    Guilty Gear: Ramlethal, Jack-O

My SFV Cammyguide!
  • DarthEnderDarthEnder Dragon Force Kin Joined: Posts: 2,633
    But is she ends up being just another Blonde Waifu Clone of a better character = meh.
    Great, now we have TWO shitheels who don't know wtf Waifu means...
  • CestusCestus Sorry for my english :D Joined: Posts: 6,227

SF Shotos are a bunch of headswaps with not much more charadesign than try hard to pretend old SFA Ryu sprite-edits are now someway unique, but at the end they are what they are

At least be fair.

Except i was talking about Sagat, who is not a shoto headswap

Tell me where i was asking for Akuma, Evil Ryu or Dan

I will kinda accept Sean because
    -in new SFV design (the yellow jumpsuit) he have nothing of shoto design
    -in new SFV design have completely different body build
    -story wise he should be even less shoto than SF3
    I designed SFV Ken, your argument is invalid.
    "@Cestus tightened her ass up" - YagamiFire

All SFV Colors here!- http://forums.shoryuken.com/discussion/214626/new-colors-for-story-and-battle-alts/p1
  • DanoninoDanonino Winning for once. Joined: Posts: 701
    I honestly think Sagat could be awesome if done right.
    Never attempt the same move after you have been once thwarted!
    But is she ends up being just another Blonde Waifu Clone of a better character = meh.

Nah, Maki is waifu-tier
    latest?cb=20120301033406
    latest?cb=20160512033016
    Maki--Street-Fighter--psd72562.png
    giphy.gif
    edited November 2016
    Dan, Gouken and Sagat would work along with Sean than Akuma or Sakura.

Even in the future Sean's and Dan's move set can just show influences of being an Ansatsuken practitioner like Gouken in SF4 that plays nowhere near Akuma, Ken and Ryu. Since SF3 NG and 2i Sean is more Shoto than 3s because his DP. SF4 Dan did a good variant of Dan.

Sagat can keep Tiger Uppercut but has conditional effect or like just an exclusive follow up move from another move not as a regular anti- air to toned down it's responsiveness and effectivity. Make his Upper Tiger Shot bigger like Krauser's Kaiser Wave but as a close range projectile like Ken in MvSF.

Then remove his low Tiger Shot as a tribute to his SF1 debut that has no lower tiger shot which is an awkward way to see when fighting. Imagine Sagat doing lower Tiger Shot in Anime or live action against someone looks kinda weird IMHO.

<--- not a fan of Dan and Sean

As for the dolls... just make the pair sister dolls Jianyu and Xianyu as one character no need for every other dolls this conclude and reflect their weakness that they need to work together like the other dolls that gang up against Birdie. This alone would be a nice tribute already in the SFZ3 Dramatic battle and SFV Cinematic mode but not similar because it's a whole new character concept in SF5 inspired that is never in SFA, Sf4 and Sf3. It's is more unique than the Cinematic NPC Dolls, Cammy, Decapre or the pair of Juni & Juli or even from where it is inspired from Chang and Choi but managed to cover all them as a tribute.
    Post edited by The_Shakunetsu on

Solo Characters
    1.) Picolo
    2.) Killin
    3.) Kid Buu
    4.) Pikon
    5.) Hit
    6.) Broly - legendary
    7.) Super Janemba
    8.) Gotenks SSJ3
    11.) Caulifa
    12.) Kale
    13.) Hirudegarn

15.) Rose with Zamasu
    17.) Yamcha with Puar
    18.) Dabura and Babidi

24.) Bojack

CAPCOM- New Characters

MARVEL

1.) Doom
    2.) Spider-man
    3.) Wolverine
    4.) Thanos
    5.) Venom
    6.) Cyclops

1.) Haggar
    2.) Eagle
    3.) Maki
    4.) Sodom
    5.) Blanka
    6.) Lee - Drunken master
    8.) Necro
    10.) Sagat
    11.) Q
    12.) Viper

1.) Tom
    2.) Effie
    3.) Byron
    4.) Noembelu

2.) Wraith (Slam Master)

1.) Skullomania
    2.) Garuda
    I we're talking about shotos and shoto-inspired characters, I'm really only interested in a redone Sean (with more Basketball and MJJ influence), Sagat, and Sakura (both based on CvS2). As for the Dolls, I just want one of the martial weapon users to fill out the roster. One of Satsuki (based on Hibiki/Haohmaru from CvS2), Santamu, Xiayu/Jianyu (one or both), or Noembelu.
  • to1v11v1yto1v11v1y Joined: Posts: 58
    Who said casuals would be more inclined to play the game if Sakura was released instead of Oro? Why? I'd guess casuals wouldn't be that bothered about who is being released now, they'd pick up the game based on game play and visuals rather than characters that, as casuals, they probably don't recognise anyway. If Capcom want to create more revenue from casuals they have to sell the game as a whole package not based on the newly downloadable character that the casual player has no vested interest in. IMHO.
    I think the term "casual player" is somewhat misguiding.. we're not talking about people that play the game one or two weeks. We're talking about the audience that picks up the game because of recognition/ nostalgia who will turn into competitive players.

Sakura has more recognition than Oro for example. So Sakura would be the better choice in this case. Capcom wants to milk their customers (as every company) so they need a larger base, not just one-and-done deals.

There could still be hundreds/ thousands of "active" players that havent picked up the game yet because their main sagat/ akuma isnt in the game. I doubt there are as many waiting for Q, Oro, Dolls that havent already bought the game anyway.

Except i was talking about Sagat, who is not a shoto headswap

Excuse me, he's a shotoclone basicly Ryu with a second fireball.

I can see that you want a Muai Thai rep,but I rather take a new one and not the two we have right now.

Even if they remove his Uppercut, he would still relie on fireballs for the majority of his gameplan. If you want a zone heavy character you got Guile, if you want a zone/footsies hybrid,you have Ryu.

The only way Sagat could be justified would be a major overhaul,remove the fireballs and change him into a real Maui Thai fighter and not angry Ryu with two fireballs.

My SFV Cammyguide!
  • javertjavert 'sup Joined: Posts: 1,216
    Incorrect.

To the definition:

Shoto fireballs are horizontal and don't fade out.
    The anti air move has invincibility frames so it doubles as a meterless reversal.

So none of those qualify.

Although Poison does appear a shoto, her AA was so terrible and non invincible the traditional zoning plan was over as soon as the opponent decided to jump towards you. On a similar note, Sakura's shoouken is not an AA at all, so at these point to her shoto motif is more about her relationship with Ryu in the story and the move names than actual mechanic similarities.
  • FrágmentFrágment Joined: Posts: 536
    edited November 2016
    The only way Sagat could be justified would be a major overhaul,remove the fireballs and change him into a real Maui Thai fighter and not angry Ryu with two fireballs.
    Yeah, well... all of this brings the discussion...

Do you think after SFV these classic characters (like Ken, Dhalsim, Claw, Ibuki, etc.) will keep evolving further, will stay with their current moveset, or they will rever to their classic gameplay?

I would think they will adapt to whatever new game system the next games bring, but I'm not sure if Capcom will revert them again into their former, most "classic" stage. We already saw that in Street Fighter Ⅳ and the Street Fighter Ⅱ days are so long time gone, so the nostalgia factor I don't think it's going to rule a "back to basics" in terms of movesets ever again.
  • mykkamykka Joined: Posts: 2,269
    It depends if they consider Sagat a Ken/Ibuki/Dhalsim, or a Ryu/Chun Li/Cammy
    SF5: R Mika, Urien, Kolin, Xiayu
  • NCK_FeroceNCK_Feroce In Makoto I Trust Joined: Posts: 3,078
    Incorrect.

Nope.

The term "shoto" was made by Capcom referring to Ryu and Ken first because their karate style resembled the original Japanese karate style. Only after that every character with moves similar to them was called "shoto" because of the fireball-uppercut-horizontal kick move arsenal. The general player audience refers to shotos because of their special moves,but a real shoto is who use this particular karate style. If we gonna go even further the Rindokan karate style of Makoto (who is fictional) has more resemblance with the original Shotokan karate than the Ryu and Ken own style. Go figure.
  • DarthEnderDarthEnder Dragon Force Kin Joined: Posts: 2,633
    Only after that every character with moves similar to them was called "shoto" because of the fireball-uppercut-horizontal kick move arsenal. The general player audience refers to shotos because of their special moves
    Right, which is how the fighting game community uses it now. Anyone who still uses it the way it was used 20 years ago is using it wrong, because it doesn't mean that anymore, and hasn't for ages.

Characters that aren't even SF characters are considered shotos now. Morrigan and Demitri are shotos.
    Yet he would still play like a Zoner with no Walkspeed and some long reaching Normals.

His normals have no unique use either.
    Lets use SFIV as comparison,shall we?
    All lp's generaly used as filler,no real use outside of jab,jab,uppercut combos. Ryu uses his for the same reason
    All mp's generaly used for either a combo or as a cancleable move up close for a fireball. Ryu uses his for the same reasons
    HP. st.hp is generaly not used,since it has no real use outside of a slow poke with a bad hurtbox. Same goes for Ryu. Now cr is different,since Ryu's is a anti-air and Sagats just another poke.
    Lk's. Both are pokes,mainly used for spacing,thats it
    Mk. Standing variations are both used as poke and look quite identical. And cr.mk xx fireball is something I don't have to mentoi
    HK. Both use st.hk as anti-air and cr.hk to fish for a knockdown.

Outside of the cr.hp there is no different in use for their normals.
    Sagat is bigger,wow,doesn't help him that he plays like Ryu. High Tiger Shoots weren't used frequently either,since they have more recovery and are absurdly easy to dodge. What left Sagat using low fireball all the time. This was the case since freaking SF2.
    Again plays identical to Ryu,while having similiar working normals.
    The very slow part is also not worth a damn,Ryu definitly visited the retiremeant home,before he decided to go to SFV.

Again a K Special that works EXACTLY like a Tatsu.

There, I told you more. He was made as Ryu clone,he will die as Ryu clone. Removing the TU would make him a Shotoclone without Uppercut,he would remain his gameplay that is already coverd by numerous characters and bring absolutly no addition.

All that for a clone,you basicly ask for this:
    FjO6s6P.jpg

Your turn, I'll wait for the people who complain since the beginning of SFIV about Shotoclones and now start to defend them,because reasons.

My SFV Cammyguide!
  • QuarkQuark Joined: Posts: 4,068
    edited November 2016
    Yet he would still play like a Zoner with no Walkspeed and some long reaching Normals.

His normals have no unique use either.
    Lets use SFIV as comparison,shall we?
    All lp's generaly used as filler,no real use outside of jab,jab,uppercut combos. Ryu uses his for the same reason
    All mp's generaly used for either a combo or as a cancleable move up close for a fireball. Ryu uses his for the same reasons
    HP. st.hp is generaly not used,since it has no real use outside of a slow poke with a bad hurtbox. Same goes for Ryu. Now cr is different,since Ryu's is a anti-air and Sagats just another poke.
    Lk's. Both are pokes,mainly used for spacing,thats it
    Mk. Standing variations are both used as poke and look quite identical. And cr.mk xx fireball is something I don't have to mentoi
    HK. Both use st.hk as anti-air and cr.hk to fish for a knockdown.

Outside of the cr.hp there is no different in use for their normals.
    Sagat is bigger,wow,doesn't help him that he plays like Ryu. High Tiger Shoots weren't used frequently either,since they have more recovery and are absurdly easy to dodge. What left Sagat using low fireball all the time. This was the case since freaking SF2.
    Again plays identical to Ryu,while having similiar working normals.
    The very slow part is also not worth a damn,Ryu definitly visited the retiremeant home,before he decided to go to SFV.

Again a K Special that works EXACTLY like a Tatsu.

There, I told you more. He was made as Ryu clone,he will die as Ryu clone. Removing the TU would make him a Shotoclone without Uppercut,he would remain his gameplay that is already coverd by numerous characters and bring absolutly no addition.

All that for a clone,you basicly ask for this:
    FjO6s6P.jpg

Your turn, I'll wait for the people who complain since the beginning of SFIV about Shotoclones and now start to defend them,because reasons.

LOL

Sagat is a Ryu clone?

Summoning @Highlandfireball to tear this guy a new asshole
    "Please understand, I never had a secret chart
    To get me to the heart of this or any other matter"
    Well, for the sake of killing time, I'll throw out some ideas for the Dolls I consider most interesting:
    Satsuki
    • In Story Mode, we saw her fight Zangief.
    • She has a slash special and a slide
    • The slash special is very interesting because it can Crush Counter. I would have just assumed it to be a command normal on this alone, but I've also seen an EX version. We've seen a Crush Counter V-Skill from Laura, but never a Crush Counter special. It also does obscene damage on a counter hit.
    • From this base, I can imagine Satsuki as a character who draws her sword for regular/metered attacks, but probably not normals.
    • We have never seen a sword wielder in a true SF game aside from Sodom. Before I go any further, I should mention that this possible overlap with Sodom may be what disqualifies her from becoming a fully-fleshed character.
    • However, in CvS2 we had 2 katana-wielders on the SNK side: Hibiki and Haohmaru. Hibiki would make a good base for Satsuki as many of her attacks revolve around her sword. The slash special may be an indirect homage to Haohmaru, whose infamous st.HP was very similar in animation.
    • Darkstalkers also bears a samurai named Bishamon. His blade specials include a DP and a pair of charge moves that perform multi-hit sweeping attacks.
    • Between these two examples, I think a good fit for Satsuki would be as a mid-range poke/harass character. She already has the CC Slash and slide, but to add a bit more variety to her she should get Bishamon's charge slashes (single hit, strength determines range/start up) and something like Hibiki's running attack that forces a 50/50 on the opponent. (Also resembles Oni's slash move)
    • I could see V-Skill as some kind of pre-charge for her moves. Satsuki builds VT from her next special after performing her V-Skill, similar to Urien.
    • V-Trigger would probably have something to do with the sword too. Maybe give her access to UMvC3 Vergil normals?

Santamu
    • Fought by Guile in Story Mode.
    • Specials include spinning her spear and throwing a spear
    • Has a pet Golden Lion Tamarin monkey named Kiki
    • Do you want to know something really interesting? Santamu was described as Vietnamese in some works around the Alpha era. Her nationality is officially Ethiopia as of the CFN profile update. The spear may seem random, but here's something else: During the time SF3's new characters were being designed, one of Elena's early concepts had her wielding a spear. Santamu may build off of that, similar to FANG being the poison user we never had in 3S.
    • I can see Santamu as a pretty standard Billy Kane-esque poke character who wants to stay at max range with her spear. If made into a full character, I'd really like some spear command normals.
    • For a V-Skill, Santamu (who is described as a fan of sports) could have some kind of pole vault. This lets her make up for not having Cammy's forward moving specials.
    • Now hear me out: What if we got the monkey as her VT? Many SFV characters take influences from the anime games, and I can see the monkey having a very Zato/Eddie style dynamic with Santamu. The monkey's attacks are negative edge VT specials, so you have to release HP+HK while holding a direction to command it. Hitting the monkey (you bastard) damages Santamu's VT gauge and depletes it faster.

Xiayu
    • Not fought in Story Mode, but appears in Bison's prologue and the scene with all the Dolls
    • Uses nunchucks
    • A lot of what I say about her using nunchucks could be applied to a SFV Fei Long. In fact, that might be what ends up excluding her from the cast.
    • Nunchucks are a weapon that flows into continuous strikes from the user, which could be represented as having specials that chain into each other. This base concept seems a little powerful since Karin needs V-Trigger to do that, so I don't know how that could happen with her base move set.

Jianyu
    • Not fought in Story Mode, only appears off-hand in the scene with all Dolls
    • Wields a bo staff
    • Street Fighter has actually hosted a staff user before: Nanase, from Street Fighter EX 2.
    • Something about Nanase I really liked in motion was her staff throw super, where it basically was a projectile that went out to long range then returned. This could be a V-Trigger or some kind of EX move (hehehe)
    • The pole vault I brought up with Santamu is still applicable here

Xiayu/Jianyu as a pair
    • The two Dolls are closely associated with one another, like Juni and Juli (and in fact are twins)
    • Switching between the sisters is a mechanic I've heard people bring up for them, Juni/Juli, and Yun/Yang. Maybe not a straight tag system, but specials that switch them out could work. A lot of Mika's cinematic EX moves have Nadeshiko pop in, so I could see something like that but having the other doll stay on screen could work.
    • As for a combined V-Trigger, there are 2 approaches. I've heard a Dramatic Battle-style 2v1 brought up, but I don't know if Capcom wants to implement something that would likely set up unblockables and have a high execution barrier. An assist system more fleshed out than Nadeshiko could work better, where the two dolls call each other at the cost of some VT. To keep this from being outright better, damaging the assist doll does unscaled damage to the active one, so there is more risk/reward involved.

Noembelu
    • Not fought in Story Mode, but is seen one-hit-KOing Birdie by surprise.
    • Wields a tomahawk (and is T.Hawk's sister. Subtlety kills?)
    • Described as the Dolls' powerhouse, and takes a brute force approach to combat
    • As a V-Skill, Noembelu could do an overhead strike. This by itself isn't much, but if the buttons are held, the overhead is charged into an unblockable attack. Maybe let the hitbox nullify projectiles to keep with the anti-zoning theme of most V-Skills.
    • Regular specials are just straightforward attacks; Noembelu doesn't dance around like a certain Killer Bee.
    • Hard to think of a V-Trigger. Maybe a power/damage buff?
    I just want them to give Sagat the Dhalsim/Ken/Ibuki treatment, change him up real good.
    I want the SF4 Sagat enthusiasts to cry like little babies because he's so different.
    If Capcom changes Sagat it would be awesome if they model his new style after this guy
    If Capcom changes Sagat it would be awesome if they model his new style after this guy

With this I would be 100% fine.

My SFV Cammyguide!
  • SkortSkort Joined: Posts: 882
    edited November 2016
    Seems people want all these dolls,i guess everybody has his favorites, no probs there.

I still hope he makes it in though.He is the only "shoto" i actually care about,pretty sad there are far more popular ones....

goukenfix.jpg

The old man would fit in SF 5 pretty good,it would be great to see him again and if Capcom manages to implement his power of nothingness into his gameplay it would be fantastic.
    Skort wrote: »
    Seems people want all these dolls,i guess everybody has his favorites, no probs there.

I still hope he makes it in though.He is the only "shoto" i actually care about,pretty sad there are far more popular ones....
    goukenfix.jpg

The old man would fit in SF 5 pretty good,it would be great to see him again and if Capcom manages to implement his power of nothingness into his gameplay it would be fantastic.

True.. true..

Though I'd much rather want him, even though I know how foolish that request is.. :(
    sfv-goutetsu.jpg
    edited November 2016
    Dolls and Sagat are like the opposite of one another.

Sagat
    Unique Visual design
    Familiar Shoto esque Zoning gameplan
    ( He is still unique enough to warrant a slot though , this game does lack pure fireball zoners )
    Iconic and popular

Dolls
    Very body structure and design
    Completely different movesets and gameplan
    Not exactly popular or iconic.

Wow that was uncalled for. Calm the hell down man. Please do elaborate how Maki is not a heavily sexualized character? She is just as revealing as Cammy and Laura than someone a little more conservative like Rose,Makoto.
    Nah, Maki is waifu-tier

Lmao those images. Yea , I can see the appeal of the character. I dont get why people get so defensive , its not like I am saying its a bad thing.
    But this game is pretty good on the Super revealing female characters , I'd rather take someone like Rose or Makoto next.