The Nintendo Switch Thread! - Take Me To Elysium! Xenoblade Chronicles 2 Out Now! Bayonetta 3 2018!

Comments

• Plaid_UnicornPlaid_Unicorn Camron should have won an Oscar for Paid in Full Joined: Posts: 10,442
    Also Amazon has Micro SDxc 64 gb cards on sale between 16-20 usd.
    Just because I lost... doesn't mean I was defeated
    "Say it loud... I main Rog and I'm proud!!!!" - Plaid Unicorn
    "I'll be honest, I don't know why you hang out in Nintendo threads. You seem to hate everything they do." - Po Pimpus
  • Kinniku BusterKinniku Buster Like Like Like Joined: Posts: 9,379 ✭✭✭ Former OG
    Also Amazon has Micro SDxc 64 gb cards on sale between 16-20 usd.

Good to know seeing as I'll need to invest in one or two of them.
    Peace to the Mountain
    Amiibo Aficionado

Negro Install

The sky's fallin', baby, drop that ass 'fore it crash.

• Ki ShimaKi Shima This tiger isn't dead.... Joined: Posts: 8,405
    Aren't those too small?
    "The telephone is virtual reality in that you can meet with someone as if you are together, at least in the auditory sense."

Ray Kurzweil
  • crotchpunchacrotchpuncha Joined: Posts: 22,110
    Probably not honestly.
    It's not the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
  • Kinniku BusterKinniku Buster Like Like Like Joined: Posts: 9,379 ✭✭✭ Former OG
    Ki Shima wrote: »
    Aren't those too small?

not really unless you plan on going 100% digital.

Peace to the Mountain
    Amiibo Aficionado

Negro Install

• S00perCamS00perCam Cold as ice Joined: Posts: 2,460
    Install sizes for current gen hover around 50 gb anyway I'm not sure if i'd rather have a case full of cartridges or sd cards Cartridges would sound cool but at the same time buying digital gives me the insurance that should anything happen to the physical media I have it stored on I still have the license.
    Just because your buff, don't play tuff Cause I'll reverse the earth and turn your flesh back to dust
  • Plaid_UnicornPlaid_Unicorn Camron should have won an Oscar for Paid in Full Joined: Posts: 10,442
    edited January 25
    Ki Shima wrote: »
    Aren't those too small?

With Zelda prolly being the biggest game at 16 gbs prolly not. You may need more than one but they should suffice. Biggest size I've found was 256gb but that was close to 200 bucks.. I'll wait until the market catches up with the format.
    Just because I lost... doesn't mean I was defeated
    "Say it loud... I main Rog and I'm proud!!!!" - Plaid Unicorn
    "I'll be honest, I don't know why you hang out in Nintendo threads. You seem to hate everything they do." - Po Pimpus
  • SonichumanSonichuman You're too sloooww!! Joined: Posts: 19,284
    More than likely when it comes to space for physical games you will have to worry more with 3rd party games. Nintendo seem to be wizards when it comes to optimization. Im more than lukely gonna go for a 256 or whatever the highest i can get starting out. Probably should last for a good while and then when i start running out ill see whats good around cyber monday/black friday of that year.
    High Enough

If you haven't seen this before you may have questions...

• po pimpuspo pimpus Beyond Anger... Ultra Rage Joined: Posts: 26,375
    edited January 25
    S00perCam wrote: »
    Install sizes for current gen hover around 50 gb anyway I'm not sure if i'd rather have a case full of cartridges or sd cards Cartridges would sound cool but at the same time buying digital gives me the insurance that should anything happen to the physical media I have it stored on I still have the license.

They are game cards, actually. I'm not sure, correct me if I'm wrong, but they seem to be about the same size as DS/3DS game cards, so if you have any of those card cases lying around, you could probably make use of those.
    "Capcom should listen to their fans... Mega Man is a cool character." -2048 President Elect Kevin at Age 10
    po pimpus wrote: »
    S00perCam wrote: »

They are game cards, actually. I'm not sure, correct me if I'm wrong, but they seem to be about the same size as DS/3DS game cards, so if you have any of those card cases lying around, you could probably make use of those.
    Yeah I figured as much they wouldn't take up as much physical space I think I'm going to buy physical games for games I might end up selling and digital for the games that I know I want forever except Zelda Because I want that case.
    Just because your buff, don't play tuff Cause I'll reverse the earth and turn your flesh back to dust
    I have tomorrow off so I'm going to update the OP and clean it up a bit. I've been adding little things here and there but nothing major.

Also I'm on the fence of whether or not I want to get Super Bomberman R. I want to have more than one game at launch but I also know that Zelda is going to destroy all of my free time and I won't want to play anything else. So it's a toss up.
    Peace to the Mountain
    Amiibo Aficionado

Negro Install

• javertjavert 'sup Joined: Posts: 1,294
    No way I'm getting Zelda alone... if there's nothing else to distract me I'm gonna end swooping through it in a week or two and then having remorse of not getting the most fun out of it like a dirty speedrunner.

Arms and Splatoon look locked for me. Bomberman R as long as Konami behaves as if it were the 90s.
    javert wrote: »
    No way I'm getting Zelda alone... if there's nothing else to distract me I'm gonna end swooping through it in a week or two and then having remorse of not getting the most fun out of it like a dirty speedrunner.

Arms and Splatoon look locked for me. Bomberman R as long as Konami behaves as if it were the 90s.

It seems like Nintendo has some oversight over Bomberman R, or at least told Konami to keep their bullshit in check at least.
    "Capcom should listen to their fans... Mega Man is a cool character." -2048 President Elect Kevin at Age 10
  • AlphaCharlieAlphaCharlie Joined: Posts: 1,095
    Ok so besides the portability aspect, are there any OTHER notable selling points to the Switch?

At first i found the device intriguing but, the more i looked at it, the more it just comes off like a portable Wii U. Which i guess is an improvement but, it has to have more going for it than that.

Also i heard the battery is non-user replaceable. That kinda sucks. What happens in a few years when they wear down and the battery life gets even shorter? I'm sure tech-capable geeks will find a way to crack it open and replace it but, for the average consumer, they'll be stuck with a neutered handheld.
  • DimfishDimfish Joined: Posts: 369
    Ok so besides the portability aspect, are there any OTHER notable selling points to the Switch?

At first i found the device intriguing but, the more i looked at it, the more it just comes off like a portable Wii U. Which i guess is an improvement but, it has to have more going for it than that.

Also i heard the battery is non-user replaceable. That kinda sucks. What happens in a few years when they wear down and the battery life gets even shorter? I'm sure tech-capable geeks will find a way to crack it open and replace it but, for the average consumer, they'll be stuck with a neutered handheld.

well i mean, its a nintendo platform. Its number one draw will always be that it plays nintendo games. With the 3DS on the way out over the next two years and the switch being their new unified mobile and home gaming platform, you're going to get all the content you expect on a nintendo console here and only here, foresee-ably at least. If the switch even lives up to being half the platform the 3DS was it'll have a library worth buying the thing for. They've already avoided the marketing mistakes of the Wii U. People know what a switch is. Its appeal is simple to explain and they are aware that it is infact a new and different device, not just an expansion for the wii. Also, the 3DS had about the same battery life at launch that this thing has and the new 3DS still has that same battery life range. With software updates and various power settings the 3DS was slowly optimized over its lifetime for longer play periods, I expect the same to happen with the switch. Infact on the topic of battery life, the Joycons are rocking an alleged 20 hour battery life. for a controller, thats fucking great and I wish my ps4 controller would last half as long as that.

My point is, if youre not interested now thats fine, because you can always buy one later if it does get a library that interests you. Buying consoles at launch is rarely a bright decision anyways, which is exactly why im waiting till summer to pick up my Switch.
  • IdunoIduno ...what to put here Joined: Posts: 5,425

Portability is the big one, more games than you can count on one hand is the other.
    “It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so ****ing what."
    -Stephen Fry

"I know crackheads that could sneak into a house better than an 8th century shinobi."
    -Jimmy1200
    edited January 27
    Oh hell naw, nigga.

If I can leave the Xbone and PS4 threads alone(for the most part, I did shit on PS Plus for a bit a while back), then you can take your hating ass right on up out this thread.

Who said i care about the XBONE and PS4?

And, i missed you too, Po. Let the nintendo switch discussion begin!! :)
  • NeoBloodNeoBlood kara bank account Joined: Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG

While not a huge feature, I can't gush enough about the gyro controls present in each switch controller and in the WiiUs tablet controller. I honestly believe it's a better improvement to the experience of gaming in general than VR is by itself. I never want to play a shooter without it again, unless with a mouse and keyboard.

For real, after playing Splatoon for so long I went to a friends house and played Gears 4 and I was like "how can you play this clunky shit?"
    NeoBlood wrote: »

While not a huge feature, I can't gush enough about the gyro controls present in each switch controller and in the WiiUs tablet controller. I honestly believe it's a better improvement to the experience of gaming in general than VR is by itself. I never want to play a shooter without it again, unless with a mouse and keyboard.

For real, after playing Splatoon for so long I went to a friends house and played Gears 4 and I was like "how can you play this clunky shit?"

really though, gyro aiming in splatoon and even in shit like TP with the bow and arrow is just fucking great. I wish more games made use of it on other consoles
  • robertman2robertman2 Joined: Posts: 2
    I'm super excited for the Switch. It's going to be my first time buying a console at launch!
  • NeoBloodNeoBlood kara bank account Joined: Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Dimfish wrote: »

really though, gyro aiming in splatoon and even in shit like TP with the bow and arrow is just fucking great. I wish more games made use of it on other consoles

Twilight princess? That was just IR camera (Wii) controls wasn't it? Gyro is even better and more responsive than the IR stuff IMO.
    Dimfish wrote: »

Twilight princess? That was just IR camera (Wii) controls wasn't it? Gyro is even better and more responsive than the IR stuff IMO.

i meant the HD remake on wii U, you could use gyro controls for the bow and arrow and other pointer-based shit
    I've been out running errands most of the day so I haven't been able to update the OP. Apologies.
    Peace to the Mountain
    Amiibo Aficionado

Negro Install

High Enough

edited January 28
    Sonichuman wrote: »

That climbing wall is going to make for some hilarious ambushes.

Also, good to see they're still being creative with the level designs.
    edited January 28
    nvm! Got it! Woo! Enjoy the first page! Again, if anyone has anything to add let me know and I'll add it to the OP.
    Peace to the Mountain
    Amiibo Aficionado

Negro Install

edited January 28
    Sonichuman wrote: »
    Something interesting of note is that on the official Switch specs it's stated that the headphone jack on the switch will support headphones, mics and headset
    http://i.imgur.com/CQPVPtM.png

sooo...this is making me ???? even more about this phone app.

I've always wondered why the Switch doesn't have any kind of spiffy logo on the front. It just looks like a plain tablet. A little more work into it's presentation would go a long way.

Also why does having a headphone jack suprise you? That's a good thing. I hope you're not buying into Apple's BS about how the headphone jack is an "outdated" connection.

IMO, it's rare but there are some PC/Device connector types that will never truly go out of date, especially if it's something still in wide-range of use by consumers. The headphone jack is a big one.
    F

For someone like me who doesn't own a Tablet or a home console (Have tried all current gen consoles and sold them they are all rubbish) the Value speaks for itself. Expandable memory Tablet + console + 2 controllers out the box. I am constantly on the go and tbh I still put priority on local multiplayer features over online, I just don't often have the time or patience to get immersed in online gaming and find groups of people that play on the same schedule I do. Nintendo brings the local multiplayer, and just gameplay in general that keeps me interested , accessible, polished and deep when I need it to be. I loved the Wii U library I just hated the console, and the times I did want to play with friends online I really couldn't cause the online was boo boo.

battery life does seem like an issue down the line I agree but I'll deal with it and if/when the upgrade comes along with better battery or 4 k or whatever I will do what I have done with every Nintendo handheld flip the one I have and buy the upgrade used costing me 50-100 for the whole deal.
    I can't remember...has it been mentioned before that Splatoon 2 will let you Switch weapons between matches?
    http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=229297849

This is from a impressions thread of someone who played the system at PAX
    High Enough

• MillionMillion King of Creeps Joined: Posts: 10,863 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Y'know, even if the battery really only lasted 2.5 hours straight... I can't think of a time when I'm away from a wall outlet for that long, along with having that much time to play. At home, naturally there's a plugs to charge up if necessary... and it's no longer in "portable mode" anyway at that point since you'd be at home with a television + wall outlets nearby. Naturally at work I'm only going to have that 1 hour lunch break to play, along with the morning and afternoon breaks; at most that's 1 hour and two 15-minute sessions for portable gaming right there. Maybe that short battery life may be a problem for kids that have so much more "portable game time" moments (like summer vacation; or road trips), or something....it just doesn't seem like a major issue at least for me.
  • DrellyFishDrellyFish Joined: Posts: 4,569
    Million wrote: »
    Y'know, even if the battery really only lasted 2.5 hours straight... I can't think of a time when I'm away from a wall outlet for that long, along with having that much time to play. At home, naturally there's a plugs to charge up if necessary... and it's no longer in "portable mode" anyway at that point since you'd be at home with a television + wall outlets nearby. Naturally at work I'm only going to have that 1 hour lunch break to play, along with the morning and afternoon breaks; at most that's 1 hour and two 15-minute sessions for portable gaming right there. Maybe that short battery life may be a problem for kids that have so much more "portable game time" moments (like summer vacation; or road trips), or something....it just doesn't seem like a major issue at least for me.

Agreed. When Im out and about, I legit may only play my handheld on the train to and from where Im going. Round trips about 2 hrs or sometimes less
  • InfernomanInfernoman Bro as Hell Joined: Posts: 9,630
    edited January 29
    Have we confirmed that a power bank/portable charger can be used to keep it running?
    Who else in a movie wrestled an evil lesbian and by forcefully kissing her, turned her not only heterosexual but good as well? Exactly. That, my friend, is the power of Sean motherfucking Connery - Valaris
    Infernoman wrote: »
    Have we confirmed that a power bank/portable charger can be used to keep it running?

It has a standard USB C port, and the Switch reveal trailer showed the guy using it at an airport terminal plugged into a wall outlet.
  • InfernomanInfernoman Bro as Hell Joined: Posts: 9,630
    Infernoman wrote: »

It has a standard USB C port, and the Switch reveal trailer showed the guy using it at an airport terminal plugged into a wall outlet.

yeah...but hope there's no weird thing that nintendo may do regarding that. after the phone app thing, I need to wait for an official word.
    Who else in a movie wrestled an evil lesbian and by forcefully kissing her, turned her not only heterosexual but good as well? Exactly. That, my friend, is the power of Sean motherfucking Connery - Valaris
  • Jion_WansuJion_Wansu Joined: Posts: 6,261
    Only reason I bought a PS2 was for CVS2 and MK5. So, USF2 might be a reason for me buying a Switch

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file