Video Game General 4.0: You wanna enjoy your console? There's an app for that.

Comments

• Swedish ChefSwedish Chef Cream of the Crop! Joined: Posts: 8,802
    edited March 20
    twigster wrote: »
    Do people here think the "remaster" of FF7 is going to radically change the story?

*cough*SOMEONE not dying*cough*
    Hell no.
    I can see them adjusting stuff to fit in better with later FF7 titles (i.e. changing the Zack scenes to more closely fit Crisis Core), but Aerith's death is a key point in the narrative and one of the most well remembered parts of the series.
    It would be like if they remade FF6 but the world didn't end halfway through the game.
    TAKING YOU PUNKS DOWN!!!
    ^Bubbleberry_VII you are so godlike for making this.
  • SonicabidSonicabid What's wrong with- Joined: Posts: 12,263
    po pimpus wrote: »
    I just want a Mark of Kri/Rise of the Kasai dual HD remaster with a sequel on the horizon.

FUA USU RUTU

This kind of exists already..

https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-ca/games/the-mark-of-kri/cid=UP9000-CUSA01729_00-SCUS971400000001
    https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-ca/games/rise-of-the-kasai/cid=UP9000-CUSA01730_00-SCUS974160000001
  • King9999King9999 Joined: Posts: 10,911 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Do people here think the "remaster" of FF7 is going to radically change the story?

No, because that's a major change in the story. If you change that scene, then you have to basically re-write everything else.
    Switch Friend Code: SW-2722-8799-3295
    PSN/Steam ID/NNID: mmking9999
    Tile Crusher now available on Android & Itch.io!
    "On my business card, I am a corporate president. In my mind, I am a game developer. But in my heart, I am a gamer." -Satoru Iwata, 1959-2015
  • ChiroChiro Not actually pronounced cheero Joined: Posts: 2,248
    edited March 20
    I want to see paid DLC to avoid Aerths death then just kill her right before the end anyhow.
    Post edited by Chiro on
  • twigstertwigster Joined: Posts: 585
    King9999 wrote: »

No, because that's a major change in the story. If you change that scene, then you have to basically re-write everything else.

Yeah, that's my point. A lot of the story could easily be re-written.

I'm guessing there will be some sort of choice you can make to alter the storyline at some critical moments.

Frankly, if we wait 20 years for FF7, people will want more than... well okay Squaresoft already made it HD and completely changed combat, but people will still want some choices in the story (besides dating).

We'll see. I don't have a PS4 so it probably won't matter to me.
  • ShogunZShogunZ When's DBZ? Joined: Posts: 1,916
    d3v wrote: »
    I'd have never played TLoU if not for the remaster.

One of the many reasons why I don't see anything wrong with them. This was the case for me with Darksiders 2 and Borderlands TPS (which I enjoyed a lot more than I thought I would).
    PS4 Now Playing: Destiny 2, Warframe, Skyrim
  • Shinkuu TatsumakiShinkuu Tatsumaki Joined: Posts: 6,937
    That doesn't bother me too much really. I still think the switch is neat, but what has killed the hype for me is all the issues people are having. I think what irks me the most is how cheap the POS dock is.
  • Phantom AngelPhantom Angel The Divine One™ Joined: Posts: 27,403
    King9999 wrote: »

Yeah, that's my point. A lot of the story could easily be re-written.

I'm guessing there will be some sort of choice you can make to alter the storyline at some critical moments.

Frankly, if we wait 20 years for FF7, people will want more than... well okay Squaresoft already made it HD and completely changed combat, but people will still want some choices in the story (besides dating).

We'll see. I don't have a PS4 so it probably won't matter to me.

Changing the story is the worst decision they could make. You don't buy a remake of a classic title expecting "something different." You buy it to relive the experience. This isn't one of those games where you get to decide how the story pans out and I'd like to keep it that way....

...because if it was up to me, Zack would be the main character.
    "Old enough to know better, Young enough to not give a fuck"

R.I.P. YusukeUrameshi aka Yusuke_The_Detective
  • ShogunZShogunZ When's DBZ? Joined: Posts: 1,916
    FF7 doesn't need to change a ton of story stuff, but I think they could provide a couple of alternative scenarios. The one the sticks out to me is saving/redeeming Dyne and maybe getting him as a new party member. I know people who don't like Barrett really don't care about that story, but it could have more impact, as Dyne was one of the many characters that I've never even seen artwork for, so I don't know exactly what he's supposed to look like.

I'm really not sure how I feel about no random encounters being confirmed, main problem being that means probably no overworld. WTF is FF7 without an overworld with random enemy encounters?? Are they just gonna spawn out of sight?

Meh, doesn't really matter I guess, shit won't be out for another 5 years.
    PS4 Now Playing: Destiny 2, Warframe, Skyrim
  • Bomberman3000Bomberman3000 The Headshaker Joined: Posts: 2,336
    ShogunZ wrote: »
    I'm really not sure how I feel about no random encounters being confirmed, main problem being that means probably no overworld. WTF is FF7 without an overworld with random enemy encounters?? Are they just gonna spawn out of sight?

Since the game's going the action route, and seeing what they did with FF 12 to 15, more than likely you'll just see monsters and enemies going about their business, and have the option of moving/driving around those bums when you don't care to fight.
    "What Strength!!
    But Don't forget,
    There are many guys like you, all over the world!!!"

SteamID: BombermanGOLDEN
  • LordWilliam1234LordWilliam1234 Permanent Character Crisis Joined: Posts: 22,148
    FF7 remake isn't turn-based, that's the best improvement it could get.
    PSN/Steam/NNID/CFN: LordWilliam1234
    SFV: Ed | Smash 4: Toon Link | Pokken: Braixen | Guilty Gear: Dizzy, Ky Blazblue: Kokonoe, Platinum MvC:I - Zero, Strider | Tekken 7: Lee, Noctis (Probably)
    Smash 4 Frame Data
    SFV Frame Data
    SFV Combo Tier List (Season 2.1)
  • SaitsuSaitsu When a Kid, Becomes a Legend Joined: Posts: 35,107

Aerith NOT dying now would cause as much of a riot as her dying did back in the OG FF7.
    PSN: Saitsuofleaves SF5 Tag: Saitsu  Baby Steps to Giant Strides
    FC: 0490-4604-8179 
    Street Fighter 5: Vega
  • DrellyFishDrellyFish Joined: Posts: 4,541
    Not sure why people want the story changed for FF7, only changes that should be made is the ones Square said they were gonna do like better presentation via dialog and and prob some new and/modified plot to better incorporate events of Crisis Core since now people are away of those events
  • Shinkuu TatsumakiShinkuu Tatsumaki Joined: Posts: 6,937
    edited March 20
    Changing the story is the worst decision they could make. You don't buy a remake of a classic title expecting "something different."

The story probably won't change, but they've already confirmed it's not just a "remake" so it's gonna be a whole new experience altogether.

Like they also said, if you want the original, just play the original.
  • GespenstRitterGespenstRitter The Deadliest SOB In Space Joined: Posts: 3,247
    "Classic" style turn-based gameplay in the style of FF and DQ and the like really just doesn't cut it anymore in a large majority of cases. They were rarely as deep as its proponents like to claim.

Going forward, more turn-based RPG systems need to take inspiration from the turn-based tactics genre, which lends itself better to having actual strategy and interesting tactical decisions.
    Prove your justice to society.
  • HawkingbirdHawkingbird I am thou...thou art I Joined: Posts: 26,551
    Dead Rising 4 will get new DLC called "Frank Rising" released on April 4th
    http://news.xbox.com/2017/03/20/dead-rising-4-frank-rising/

Preview for Uncharted: The Lost Legacy. Dicusses characters and level design. It takes place a year after Uncharted 4 and Drake won't make an apperance.
    http://blog.us.playstation.com/2017/03/20/first-look-at-uncharted-the-lost-legacy/

Examu, developers of Arcana Heart turned to crowdfunding to raise money to port Arcana Heart 3 Love Max Six Stars!!!!!! to PC with English localization.
    http://prefundia.com/projects/view/arcanaheart3_lmsss/12340/

Digimon Cyber Sleuth sequel announced.
    http://gematsu.com/2017/03/digimon-story-cyber-sleuth-hackers-memory-announced-ps4-ps-vita
    PSN: Hawkingbird
    FC: 0834-1564-0151
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/runawayavenger
    edited March 20
    I am honestly rather glad they ditched the turn base gameplay.

What I would REALLY like is if it will let you actively switch between party members during fights on the fly.

This is really my only concern regarding the gameplay and it seems like you can so I'm not even that worried about it.

Having regular attacks with magic and specials on cool down sound like it could replicate the feeling while still making the battle feel more active which I would certainly hope is the plan.

I'm honestly excited just to see Cyber Connect making a PvE game again. I really like .hack GU and since then all I've seen is poorly balanced spectacle fighters and that Asura movie.

• PVL_93_RUPVL_93_RU When's Dragon Ball? Joined: Posts: 10,865
    So the Switch is just a re-branded Nvidia Shield Tv with revamped software?

Told you so
    SRK's Story Thread Crew:
    • bakfromon, Miðgarðsorm, & Lord Vega - Translations and Lore info
    • just5moreminutes - Story Mode v2.0
    • Doctrine Dark - Character Bios and Endings
    • Shockdingo - The paragraph writer
    • YagamiFire & Darc Requiem - The thread MVPs
    • Cestus - the Dolls endorser
    • The Shakunetsu - The character concept machine
    • Caio_Lins - The CFN profile cropper
    • Daemos - The thread dictator, also a Bison fanboy
    • DarthEnder - The bullshit caller

Also starring (but not limited to):
    Mykka, Scotia, Hawkingbird, TrueBackLash, Chun-Li_Forever, Kecka, ruthless_nash, mikros, ...
  • PresidentCamachoPresidentCamacho Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho Joined: Posts: 3,455
    Just finished another play through of Hyper Light Drifter- I highly recommend it to anyone who missed it before.
    Play Crimzon Clover, or go to hell.
    I guess they weren't lying about that new Megaman Cartoon teaser being old because

c7xipkau8aaenmsfguou.jpg

I guess it's...better...

It's definitely a better design. Now Mega Man's head is too big for his body.
    what the fuck does 52 x 11' mean? please tell me thats the title of the show so i can laugh at it more.
  • XthAtGAm3RGuYXXthAtGAm3RGuYX SRK's ResidentSleeper Joined: Posts: 11,927
    Chiro wrote: »
    what the fuck does 52 x 11' mean? please tell me thats the title of the show so i can laugh at it more.

It's stylised the same way as the Mega Man text so it probably is
    Unchallenged owner of worst user name on SRK
  • FaceMeAndBeBrokenFaceMeAndBeBroken FUCK JAPANESE STICKS Joined: Posts: 3,518
    the only hd re-releases I need are

Full SF2 collection
    Full SFA collection
    Tokyo Xtreme Racer collection
    CPS2 Marvel collection (or XSF)
    DS Castlevania collection - add option for arranged OST

I have no desire to play anything else older than 360 era.

No changes to graphics in games - only filters. No gameplay changes in either. Added online.

As much as Capccom loves money grabs - I can't figure out for the life of me why those games haven't been released since PS2/PS1 era. If only HDR had full CPS2 mode available...

XBL/PSN DiegoElFuego

Will play
    (PS4): KOF14, Skullgirls, Blasterz, DBXV2
    (360): MVC2, MVC:O
    (XB1): Everything else non FG's
  • odinodin crystal clear Joined: Posts: 15,586 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Grandia 2 system would be sweet for FF7 remake.
    Arms character introduction trailer. I like this announcer

• Phantom AngelPhantom Angel The Divine One™ Joined: Posts: 27,403
    I guess they weren't lying about that new Megaman Cartoon teaser being old because

c7xipkau8aaenmsfguou.jpg

I guess it's...better...

He looks like Tron, but it's not that bad. What irks me is the title. Looks like ass.
    "Old enough to know better, Young enough to not give a fuck"

R.I.P. YusukeUrameshi aka Yusuke_The_Detective
  • Kinniku BusterKinniku Buster KIMO! KIMO! KIMO! Joined: Posts: 9,271
    Arms character introduction trailer. I like this announcer

Ribbon Girl and Mechanica are too cute.
    Peace to the Mountain
    Amiibo Aficionado

Negro Install

The sky's fallin', baby, drop that ass 'fore it crash.

Currently Playing -Steven Universe: Save the Light (PS4), Super Mario Odyssey (Switch)
    Currently Reading - Rick and Morty (Oni Press), TMNT (IDW)
    Currently Watching (Animated) - Ducktales (2017), We Bare Bears
    Currently Watching (Live Action) - Sons of Anarchy

• DarksakulDarksakul Your lack of faith disturbs me Joined: Posts: 23,841
    Yea Mark of Kri was fuckin cool. Picked both of those up for my PS2 last year. Was impossible to play on my HDTV tho, was impossible to see anything. Gotta dig out the CRT.

And people wonder why I spent so much on RGB cables, switchers and upscallers.
    The difference is being able to play that very PS2 game on a HDTV or not.

It's also when someone wants to play a Retro console on a HD TV and buys the $2 AV cable, I tell them it is simply not good enough.
    “Strong people don't put others down... They lift them up.”
    - Darth Vader, Philanthropist
  • po pimpuspo pimpus Beyond Anger... Ultra Rage Joined: Posts: 26,018
    Darksakul wrote: »
    Yea Mark of Kri was fuckin cool. Picked both of those up for my PS2 last year. Was impossible to play on my HDTV tho, was impossible to see anything. Gotta dig out the CRT.

And people wonder why I spent so much on RGB cables, switchers and upscallers.
    The difference is being able to play that very PS2 game on a HDTV or not.

It's also when someone wants to play a Retro console on a HD TV and buys the $2 AV cable, I tell them it is simply not good enough.

This is very true. Old man gaming needs specific setups to work right on modern HDTVs.
    "Capcom should listen to their fans... Mega Man is a cool character." -2048 President Elect Kevin at Age 10
  • FaceMeAndBeBrokenFaceMeAndBeBroken FUCK JAPANESE STICKS Joined: Posts: 3,518
    edited March 21
    RIP XB1

just got back from getting mea. got lists of the preorders, ps4 is 2 pages and xb1 1 page.

Im just wondering why and how is that possible? I dont want to play anything thats not a fighter on ps4. gaaaaay

XBL/PSN DiegoElFuego

Will play
    (PS4): KOF14, Skullgirls, Blasterz, DBXV2
    (360): MVC2, MVC:O
    (XB1): Everything else non FG's
  • Kinniku BusterKinniku Buster KIMO! KIMO! KIMO! Joined: Posts: 9,271
    Every xb1 game I want is a 360 game.
    Peace to the Mountain
    Amiibo Aficionado

Negro Install

The sky's fallin', baby, drop that ass 'fore it crash.

Currently Playing -Steven Universe: Save the Light (PS4), Super Mario Odyssey (Switch)
    Currently Reading - Rick and Morty (Oni Press), TMNT (IDW)
    Currently Watching (Animated) - Ducktales (2017), We Bare Bears
    Currently Watching (Live Action) - Sons of Anarchy

• SonichumanSonichuman You're too sloooww!! Joined: Posts: 19,089
    The only notable game that we know of retail exclusive wise that's probably coming out this year for Xbone is Sea of Thieves. I can't think of anything else at the moment. Actually I just did...maybe Crackdown 3?
    High Enough

If you haven't seen this before you may have questions...

• DarksakulDarksakul Your lack of faith disturbs me Joined: Posts: 23,841
    RIP XB1

just got back from getting mea. got lists of the preorders, ps4 is 2 pages and xb1 1 page.

Im just wondering why and how is that possible? I dont want to play anything thats not a fighter on ps4. gaaaaay

Microsoft got cocky and felt they can do no wrong and the whole DRM thing burned more bridges that Microsoft could afford to lose.
    XB1's DRM where you always have to be online and individual game discs have a unique code that only works for the console it was registered for.
    Also the day after the announcement, Sony had their own announcement saying you are free to share your game discs and they are not making always on a requirement for gaming.
    Although individual publishers could still bring in their own Always online DRM package.

This was all before E2 of 2013. And Microsoft has yet to gain that ground back. Most people I spoke who work game retail told me PS4 tends to sell well, while Xbone stays in the backroom for months at a time.
    Unless the Console as Limited edition version or bundled with a hot game, skus for consoles don't sell for MS.
    “Strong people don't put others down... They lift them up.”
    - Darth Vader, Philanthropist
This discussion has been closed.