ETERNAL SUCCESSORS ANNOUNCEMENTS AND SUPPORT THREAD

EternalChampions2018EternalChampions2018 Joined: Posts: 21
Greetings FGC.

Michael Latham the Creator of Eternal Champions wants to know from you if we should bring back a game in the vein of Eternal Champions?
We currently have the opportunity with a team of FG vets, former Sega\SNK\Namco to do a new fighter, and we personally want to hear from you if you think we should do this.

Currently we are in the planning phase, and would be looking for community support and feedback to make the best product possible, but first do you wwant it?

Please post your opinions, feedback, and constructive thoughts, favorite memories, etc. What would you all like to see?

Vote here
https://goo.gl/rb9XVi

EC18.png

Sincerely,

The Eternal Champion

UPDATE 3/25/20171. We want to thank you all for the tremendous feedback and support we have gotten over the past week. We are happy with all feedback, and glad to know there are so many of you that still love EC. That being said we got 1400+ votes for yes and about 50 or so for no on a reboot. I wonder if we could get 10X that in the coming weeks? We need your help to make this happen. Michael, has been quite ill and apologizes for the lack of info up to this point. Once he is back on his feet we will be organizing more updates.

Most importantly for this project to happen we need you! We are looking for Community Champions who can help us with constant feedback, even brutal feedback. Don't think we don't notice the ones of you who don't play or haven't played because if we can build something that you would play, this would be huge for us. So those who hated it, let us know what you feel would make it work in the market now, so we can make it even better.

UPDATE 4/12/2017
We have been working on the plan for the game, as well as doing early visualization and mockups of how we envision the game. Obviously this is still early and we are getting more excited daily. We are considering what path to take with the project, but excited to share more with you as it develops. Michael has been sick for a few weeks now, but is on the road to recovery and getting back into the groove with us.

We are adding some visualization tests, we want to be open and transparent with some ideas, but nothing is decided but rather ask the community for feedback and see what gets you excited outside the core mechanics, which is obviously the most important part, and something we won't show until we feel its ready.

We are always going to try to offer some transparency throughout this process, to better give you all insight to what goes on internally, but also to make sure when we do move forward, its in the right direction.

Added 2 mockups in UE4, tests right now are to make it feel retro optionally in settings. Trying to tribute the color pallets of Ernie Chan and the original Sega titles.

adam-starcaster-highresscreenshot00195.jpg?1492053814
adam-starcaster-highresscreenshot00203.jpg?1492053492
adam-starcaster-overtkill.jpg?1492053278

UPDATE 4/27/2017
Our first official character, "Skinner Chen". We have left some hints in the text for the next announcements. The design is not final, but wanted to tell the story early and be transparent with everyone. Have a good weekend everyone!
skinner_paper.PNG?format=2500w
Post edited by EternalChampions2018 on

Comments

• Raij1nRaij1n Joined: Posts: 1,194
    All about it
  • rogueyoshirogueyoshi Nothing Comes Easy Joined: Posts: 1,929
    i would love this. will try to spread awareness of it through social media.
    nignagnog: minority report
    nignagnog: you got punished for your future crimes
    BossG: anybody that's black already suffers under pre-crime laws
  • Hanzo_HasashiHanzo_Hasashi Primal Rage rules Joined: Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Is this a dream or what?

VOTED
  • BearrickBearrick Joined: Posts: 1
    Literally just a few days ago I was tweeting about this game. Hell some months back I had even thought of using Unity to play around with a remake myself. I would absolutely LOVE to see this game come out again remade.
  • CrayRavenCrayRaven Joined: Posts: 181
    Eternal Champions was pretty unique and it had a story that was interesting for a fighter. I'd say yeah I'd love to see a next gen eternal champions. But only if you guys can get Bone Thugs N Harmony to do some musical tracks for it lol.
  • itsOneOitsOneO Joined: Posts: 452
    I'm all for an Eternal Champions reboot. If yall need one, go ahead and open that Kickstarter!

Keep the lore, keep the gore, keep the cool characters that lived then died throughout time. The gameplay can be overhauled. Just make sure it's very fun to play & watch, but also balanced & deep enough for competitive play. :#
    The King of Pennsylvania Ave
    Watch My Animated Series "The Yard" !!
  • Hanzo_HasashiHanzo_Hasashi Primal Rage rules Joined: Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    edited March 26
    Afai remember, it was one of the first games that used mid fight buffs and debuffs on opponents right? Not counting Sub zero freeze in MK1
  • VoltaVolta Joined: Posts: 231
    I'd like another EC game, it holds a soft spot in my heart. I would love for it to be a deep, competitive fighter, but the sad truth is that complex fighting games don't sell well. If they did, the Virtua Fighter games would've sold like hot cakes. The fact that the last entry in the main series was released more than ten years ago should tell you something.

This generation of Call of Duty kids doesn't have the patience for a deep fighter. Make it shallow and accessible, and keep the gore. That's the recipe for commercial success. Just look at Mortal Kombat X.
  • KhaosKruzerKhaosKruzer Joined: Posts: 5
    ItsOne0 posted...
    "Keep the lore, keep the gore, keep the cool characters that lived then died throughout time. The gameplay can be overhauled. Just make sure it's very fun to play & watch, but also balanced & deep enough for competitive play"

This. Especially if you can do a proper reboot, and not just a spiritual successor.

Personally, I'd love for it to be closer to the Sega CD versionot, with several of those characters included. On that note, I'd love for both the Champions to be playable as regular fighters.
  • UncleBibbyUncleBibby Joined: Posts: 23
    i would totally play a new eternal champions, or heck, even an HD port. i never played the first ones but im trying to get better at cult-hit fighting games. if i could suggest where to go with it, customizability and accessibility are becoming more common in fighting games. but the most important things are overall gameplay design, and fun. good character-balance would be a good cherry-on-top but its less important
  • VoltaVolta Joined: Posts: 231
    Maybe it would be a good idea to sticky this thread? I think we should support this as much as we can.
  • Running WildRunning Wild Rock You Like A Hurricane Joined: Posts: 3,176
    Keep it 2D, with sprites.
    YouTube Channel - All sorts of random vidya's of fighting games and shit.
    Stream - Watch me bad in various classic fighting games.
    RB2: Xiangfei, Cheng, Mary, Geese
  • ShogunZShogunZ When's DBZ? Joined: Posts: 1,886
    Yes, I had been thinking about this for years. Hell, I even came up with character/story concepts. I agree with keeping the lore, and the basic premise of lost souls needing a second chance. Only thing that I really really need for a nostalgia-gasm, is you HAVE to remix the main theme. I do not care about the other music, it was mostly forgettable, but the main theme....so...fucking...classic.
    PS4 Now Playing: Destiny 2, Warframe, Skyrim
  • d3vd3v Coughing DAT PINK SPIT Joined: Posts: 36,689 mod
    I just want the visuals to remain close to Ernie Chan's (R.I.P.) original art for them.
    You can't ask for well-thought-out changes off day 1, week 1, or mostly even month 1 play...and that's when the game is out and everyone's in the lab.
    -Mike_Z

If there's anything we do best, it's breaking games and then making everyone suffer with all the cheapness.
    -PersiaXO
  • ShinjojinShinjojin The quiet one Joined: Posts: 303
    edited March 27
    Hell yeah!!! I would love to see that series make a comeback with a reboot!
    Currently playing: Nothing at the moment

To One Piece fans:
    Check out my Rokushiki Robin project here: http://goo.gl/W134Uu (UPDATE 4/15/17)
    And the gallery here: http://shinjojin.deviantart.com/gallery/28979731
  • The MartianThe Martian We Out Here. Joined: Posts: 12,248
    Is this real fucking life right now?

Damn. I was always hoping we could get a revival of this game, ala Killer Instinct style. Fucking voted. :tup:
    "Every moment gives us a chance to become more than what we are."

Tumblr (NSFW)
    PSN: Shadaloo_Martian
  • BombasticBombastic Joined: Posts: 14
    edited March 27
    I would totally love the idea. They can even reuse the ideas they had prepared for the cancelled Sega Saturn sequel.

Btw, if you want some personal anectodes or memories, I can tell you that in my student folder I used to have Eternal Champions stickers. They belonged to this Panini sticker collection, which I actually finished (yeah, my younger self was quite "fixated" with the game) :

EternalChampionsPanini_Book_UK.jpg
    Post edited by Bombastic on
  • Raij1nRaij1n Joined: Posts: 1,194
    I always loved that Slashes fighting style was called Pain.

The state fatalities were always pretty cool. I spent quite a bit of time working out how they triggered. Xaviers fire would change from the standard orange and red flames to other colors of you'd seems the opponent into it using Rax's overload attack.
  • GreenwoodGreenwood Earth, the only true God Joined: Posts: 888
    I randomly fired up Eternal Champions on my Sega CD about a year ago. The introduction scene for the SCD version has got to be 10-15 minutes long. It's great.

In light of this thread, I'm going to play it tonight!
    Injustice 2 - Wonder Woman, Joker
    Boring, stale, predictable FGs - Cammy, Kuma, whatever yawn zzzzz
  • affinityaffinity Joined: Posts: 2,712
    edited March 27
    sega better not tamper with it nor mess it up like they ruined Shining Force and Valkyria Chronicles's new game.

and they should use Challenge from the Dark Side as a foundation for roster size and ultra violence, even if its a new spiritual successor IP under a different publisher

• maxi2099maxi2099 Joined: Posts: 13
    This is the honest opinion of someone who played both versions of the game a lot in childhood, and now I don't think its gameplay still holds at all.

If you guys really want to revive the title, take Mortal Kombat 2011 as your best example of what to follow.
    Eternal Champions has unforgiving difficult and it exploited a few moves of the characters to be playable both against the CPU as other player (just look at youtube and you can easily notice). Scrap this, make the moves with easier inputs, not necessarily like Street Fighter, and bring back what makes each character individual but working the necessary to make them fit the new gameplay, like Xavier's gold magic, Trident's colored barriers and so.
    EC had a great advantage over MK in art direction back on the day, with great sprite work and very different style of fighters and stages thanks to its theme. It's a colorful game despise the violence. Try to not change this much, but scrap the ridiculous things like some secret characters from the Sega CD game (animals, Senator and Xavier with a face-swap). Also it has a great soundtrack, paired with Killer Instinct qualitywise, mainly the Mega Drive version, but the Sega CD also have some killer tracks like the themes of Midknight and Ramses. Don't try to modernize this like Capcom is doing with SF, just do like the team would have done back in that generation.
    It have a exaggerated number of fatalities and they could be resumed for the sake of a better cost-effective player experience, without kill the trademark gore. Again, look at MK and not KI, which removed them in favor of a more family friendly game.
    For the last, do a robust story mode, preferentially retelling the events of the original games since they're almost obscure by this day, and focus on the online component. Don't be like Capcom or Netherrealm in this one, look at what Microsoft achieved with KI.

That's all. Good luck and would be cool if you guys share a few more details, like if Sega is planed to join the production or if you're following the new ToeJam & Earl way.
    edited March 28
    maxi2099 wrote: »
    If you guys really want to revive the title, take Mortal Kombat 2011 as your best example of what to follow.
    Ugh, please don't. NRS's games are full of questionable decisions (not using hit stun, using 3D hit detection, bad meter management in all their games) and decisions on top of those to try to justify those decisions, and shouldn't really be seen as a standard to be copied.
    You can't ask for well-thought-out changes off day 1, week 1, or mostly even month 1 play...and that's when the game is out and everyone's in the lab.
    -Mike_Z

If there's anything we do best, it's breaking games and then making everyone suffer with all the cheapness.
    -PersiaXO
    Make the execution more forgiving but keep the 90's style simplicity.
    -Mike_Z

-PersiaXO
  • PoisonKissPoisonKiss Beautiful Disaster Joined: Posts: 775
    I would absolutely want a real reboot! This was such a fun franchise and it never really got a fair shot. Would love to see it make a comeback like Killer Instinct.
    SFV: Laura, Kolin, Cammy, Menat. | IJ2: Black Canary, Cheetah, Poison Ivy, Starfire. | MvCI: Morrigan, Gamora, Captain Marvel. | PSN: eleusiswalks
  • Intuitive2011Intuitive2011 Cr.Mk XX Hadoken Joined: Posts: 3,639
    Remember waiting for my brother to be born in 93 and this was being advertised. I was so hyped about it, but my house was to poor to own a Genesis. Now, that can all change!
    "Often times, a loss will strengthen and benefit the player more than a win, so I would say don't be afraid of losing and keeping competing." ~Infiltration
  • PiccoroPiccoro Joined: Posts: 75
    Oh, yes please. You have my full support for a remake/spiritual sequel.

The MD and Mega CD versions are among my favorite games of all time. Too bad that Eternal Champions is only available on Steam, and Challenge from the Dark Side isn't available anywhere...
    PSN: PiccoroDaimaoh
  • PoisonKissPoisonKiss Beautiful Disaster Joined: Posts: 775
    edited March 28
    Thank you all for the support. we hope to hear more feedback and get even more interest before we take the next step. 800 votes is a great start in the right direction.

If we do this game, it will inherit the unique story features which made the first games unique. Violence factor definitely noted.

I hope you can bring back at least some of the characters! I loved Shadow and Jetta. I remember Shadow had her own spin-off game. Experts? X-Perts?

99493-eternal-champions-genesis-screenshot-ready-to-go.gif
    SFV: Laura, Kolin, Cammy, Menat. | IJ2: Black Canary, Cheetah, Poison Ivy, Starfire. | MvCI: Morrigan, Gamora, Captain Marvel. | PSN: eleusiswalks
  • truendymiontruendymion Beer Me! Joined: Posts: 2,226
    Hmmm, who are these FG vets involved? Also what engines are you looking at?
    itsOneO wrote: »

Do follow SF4/3rd Strike/MVC3 when comes to creating a fighting game with a long shelf life and building a dedicated competitive scene. You don't want to have to keep making new content post-launch just to keep the game alive. Make sure the gameplay is deep enough for players to be stuck in training mode for hours. Of course make the game easily accessible to pick up and play, but make sure there's a deep side of the pool & its loaded with discovery.

Wouldn't the opposite be better for a smaller game by a smaller company. A lot of smaller indies do this (SFV notwithstanding) and it allows for them to have a smaller development budget and it allows the game to keep growing beyond its initial scope, while continuing to earn money for additional content and patches for it (e.g. Skullgirls).
    -Mike_Z

-PersiaXO
  • itsOneOitsOneO Joined: Posts: 452
    d3v wrote: »
    itsOneO wrote: »

Do follow SF4/3rd Strike/MVC3 when comes to creating a fighting game with a long shelf life and building a dedicated competitive scene. You don't want to have to keep making new content post-launch just to keep the game alive. Make sure the gameplay is deep enough for players to be stuck in training mode for hours. Of course make the game easily accessible to pick up and play, but make sure there's a deep side of the pool & its loaded with discovery.

Wouldn't the opposite be better for a smaller game by a smaller company. A lot of smaller indies do this (SFV notwithstanding) and it allows for them to have a smaller development budget and it allows the game to keep growing beyond its initial scope, while continuing to earn money for additional content and patches for it (e.g. Skullgirls).

Im not saying there should be no additional content and patches, I'm saying that the game shouldn't be too DEPENDENT on additional content and patches to maintain hype & keep the game alive.

You don't want to be in a situation where the foundation of your fighting game is so weak that the DLC character that you've been developing for 6 months only earns you one week of new buzz after release. You want everything, from the base game to the DLC, to be a slowburn; that way the devs will have the time to work on quality future updates without feeling the pressure of the game dying prematurely.

A good analogy would be that you want your fighting game to live "paycheck to paycheck", and if you miss one week of work, you get evicted. Lol
    The King of Pennsylvania Ave
    Watch My Animated Series "The Yard" !!
  • S00perCamS00perCam Cold as ice Joined: Posts: 2,437
    edited March 30
    Personally I liked the SF4 model of releasing expansions instead of individual characters. I feel like it was the perfect amount of content at once to keep me interested and make the wait worth it.

Now that companies do a character at a time I'm like ok hype for this character, ehhhh I don't really like the character back to the same old same old. Wash rinse repeat until a character drops I actually like.

When its expansion based I'm like whaoh I like this old characters changes, I want to try them out , I like these new characters I want to try them out, this new stage is cool, I like this feature. It gives me different avenues to explore new and old parts of the game and THEN get set on what I like. Its a far less disposable experience.
    Just because your buff, don't play tuff Cause I'll reverse the earth and turn your flesh back to dust
    S00perCam wrote: »
    Personally I liked the SF4 model of releasing expansions instead of individual characters. I feel like it was the perfect amount of content at once to keep me interested and make the wait worth it.

Now that companies do a character at a time I'm like ok hype for this character, ehhhh I don't really like the character back to the same old same old. Wash rinse repeat until a character drops I actually like.

When its expansion based I'm like whaoh I like this old characters changes, I want to try them out , I like these new characters I want to try them out, this new stage is cool, I like this feature. It gives me different avenues to explore new and old parts of the game and THEN get set on what I like. Its a far less disposable experience.

The problem with that is that it costs more to do a full expansion than just smaller bits of content at a time.
    -Mike_Z

-PersiaXO
  • ni-tenni-ten Muscleheads?Hate em! Joined: Posts: 63
    Yes want it! But please 2D sprites as there are already shatloads of polygon fighters. 2D needs more love.
  • ravmanravman Joined: Posts: 3
    Should you bring back a game in the vein of Eternal Champions? The answer is...YES!...PLEASE!!...I'VE BEEN WAITING 20+ YEARS!!!

In my opinion, no other fighter has had as varied, interesting, and at the same time cool cast of characters (Killer Instinct is the closest...though...they stole Hisako from me...that was my idea!)

Anyways, Eternal Champions is the ONLY time EVER in a fighting game where I have genuinely cared about each fighter & was curious to see how their stories all played out! The backstory of why the characters are fighting each other & all of the characters biographies (that music) are second to none!

Oh! Another thing I absolutely loved was the music...I mean...just listen to this:

Is that not THE GREATEST MAIN THEME IN FIGHTING GAME HISTORY!? The only other one that comes close or ties it is again (IMO) Killer Instinct! Also, I know most prefer the soundtrack of Challenge From The Dark Side because it was CD quality, but I preferred the soundtrack of the original. The new themes for the new fighters were cool, but the new tracks for the original cast were a step down with the exception of maybe Jetta Maxx. It just didn't capture the essence of the characters the way I felt the original soundtrack did. Those melodies are engraved in my head man!

Ok, despite me loving all that stuff, the one thing that always bugged me about the original Eternal Champions was that I was never any good at the game. The mechanics just never clicked with me. I mean, I did beat the game, but it always felt like it was by luck! However, I revisited the game recently and now I feel that I was just never playing the game the way it was meant to be played. I was always trying to play it like Street Fighter, but I think learning each characters normals are crucial to having success in Eternal Champions. Especially when you consider the fact that each fighters style is based on an actual martial art. Anyways, long-story-short, I can now say I appreciate Eternal Champions distinctive fighting mechanics!

Last thing, I know a lot of people probably hated it, but I think the final showdown against the Eternal Champion (EC1) is the greatest, most epic final boss fight of all time! 5 different forms & that music!...WOW!

Anyways, thank you Michael Latham & everybody else on the team who contributed to the franchise! I just wish there were something you could do, or that we could do in order for you guys to get the license from Sega. Oh God...does that mean you can't use the main theme either? :bawling: I will support regardless, but here's hoping something can be worked out.
  • KingCrimsonKingCrimson CFN: OldManRage Joined: Posts: 1,210
    edited March 31
    Oh man, I loved EC on Genesis as a kid... More so than Street Fighter.

If you kept it 2D and sold it on the PS4, consider one game sold over here, no matter what.

A couple of additional requests, if I may:

- Please keep the violent stage endings, and keep them so they only trigger in very specific ways (as before). They don't need to be gory or too graphic though, and every stage should have one, in my opinion.

- Please keep the original cast (and maybe add a few more characters). I agree that there should be at least 16 characters, but honestly, a few more wouldn't hurt.

- Please keep combos ground-based. I'm not a fan of air juggling combos because they're so unrealistic, and I don't think they would fit EC's style.

- I remember EC's game speed was a little quick... I think a bit quicker than Street Fighter 2 on normal speed, please keep it that way. The faster, the better, in my opinion.

- I do recall the special moves were a little difficult to execute. I think if they could be a bit easier, it would attract more people, but at the same time, I don't think you need to "dumb it down" too much.

- Please have decent single-player, offline content at launch... A Story Mode, Arcade Mode, Training, and maybe a few extra challenge or time trial modes. I think Street Fighter V proved that having low single player content at launch deters the casual gamer and hurts sales. If you can also unlock content (characters, stages, etc.) by playing the game, all the better.
    Post edited by KingCrimson on