Smashbros mod on Kickstarter... Could something this retarded be real?!

truendymiontruendymion Beer Me!Joined: Posts: 2,209
edited April 11 in General Discussion
C&C incoming! Just watch the vid...
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/overload/smash-overload/description
If you support us it’s really important you know that you are not giving us money in exchange for anything in particular. We hope you’ll support us because you believe in our work as modders.
This guy went full retard...
Post edited by truendymion on
«1

Comments

  • DarksakulDarksakul Your lack of faith disturbs me Joined: Posts: 22,851
    edited April 11
    Waiting for the Lawsuits to start coming in.
    The guys behind Smash Project M got some legal action taken against them by Nintendo.

    I just waiting for the shit to hit the fan on this one, as it going to be Nintendo, Microsoft and the other various IP owners against this idiot on KS.

    They don't even need to sell the game, they are taking in profits for work that not theirs.
    Even if they didn't ask for a dime, Nintendo can sue their pants off.
    "You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance."
  • truendymiontruendymion Beer Me! Joined: Posts: 2,209
    @NickRocks
    I didn't know where else to put this steaming pile... general discussion seemed like a good spot.
  • DarksakulDarksakul Your lack of faith disturbs me Joined: Posts: 22,851
    edited April 12
    Blindknagg wrote: »
    Why add new items and stages when the community will just ban them? https://cdn.discordapp.com/emojis/268831890990039040.png

    Does not matter, this KS is lawsuit bait, Nintendo is going to go down on the modders like a hungry high school football team on a all you can eat buffet.
    Post edited by Darksakul on
    "You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance."
  • Tien GoukiTien Gouki Captain Jack Joined: Posts: 3,853 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Hey at least the stuff that comes from things like this can be entertaining.
  • DarksakulDarksakul Your lack of faith disturbs me Joined: Posts: 22,851
    I like how he mentions 12 new characters and stages, then shows 4 reskins and 2spooky Dootstination like we're meant to be eagerly anticipating his next reveal.

    What baffles me is how poorly this was thought out by a guy that has some semblance of modding capability. Like how do you know how to design and import an entire level, but don't know how to justify costs and how copyright works? Like it seems that he's trying to circumvent it by specifying that they're only "donations" and he's "not making money off the project", but that shit doesn't fly even if it's 100% fan made with no funding at all (see: Pokémon: Uranium).

    Is this like book smarts without street smarts? Because I think that's called autism.

    Pokémon: Uranium, Project M, AM2R, all got shut down by Nintendo

    It does not matter if you made a cent or not, it only matters is if Nintendo can claim damages.
    And Nintendo no longer send C&D letters, they now send a angrier letter saying they will see you in court for more money than you can possibly make in a year.
    Or a mere 10k (or so) and you signing a agreement saying not just you never do this again, you can never speak bad about the company again or the agreement made.
    Breaking the contract will put you back at square one with the lawsuit.
    "You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance."
  • TebboTebbo Play. Joined: Posts: 5,700
    jesus fuck this is beyond clueless.
    if the person doing it isn't a kid, like >= 15 years old...
    Play more.
  • X_SwordX_Sword -+FGs, Art, and Beats+- Joined: Posts: 1,772
    edited April 13
    Is it me or Does rayman look like he smoked some weed and his eyes got stuck
    --TurntheHeadphonesUp--
    Steam:X_Sword
    swxrdz.deviantart.com
  • DarksakulDarksakul Your lack of faith disturbs me Joined: Posts: 22,851
    edited April 13
    X_Sword wrote: »
    Is it me or Does rayman look like he smoked some weed and his eyes got stuck
    It's called cheap fan made 3D modeling

    The guy running the project does not get a number of real world concerns and issues such as IP law.
    Getting character eyes right should be the least of his concerns.

    And what is up with the fake currency of MN$. I tried to google for MN$ and all I got was Minnesota.
    Why have a alternate currency at all if he based in Florida?
    "You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance."
  • WTF-AKUMA-HAXWTF-AKUMA-HAX DBGT non canon > maxxvatar OVA Joined: Posts: 17,874
    More Noodle Cash?

    Top Ramen stipends, especially after a Nintendo lawsuit.
    1999 = "A Game with Parries isn't Street Fighter"
    2016 = "Releasing a Complete Game isn't Street Fighter"
    You wouldn't even understand if I told you.
    People will forget what you said.
    People will forget what you did.
    But, people will never forget how you made them feel.

  • X_SwordX_Sword -+FGs, Art, and Beats+- Joined: Posts: 1,772
    Darksakul wrote: »
    X_Sword wrote: »
    Is it me or Does rayman look like he smoked some weed and his eyes got stuck
    It's called cheap fan made 3D modeling

    The guy running the project does not get a number of real world concerns and issues such as IP law.
    Getting character eyes right should be the least of his concerns.

    And what is up with the fake currency of MN$. I tried to google for MN$ and all I got was Minnesota.
    Why have a alternate currency at all if he based in Florida?

    I'm going to say that, not to his defense or anything, but are we sure he knows what trouble he's going to get himself into? Does he research anything regarding prophiting off of a major company's franchise without consent? Does he /has he seen what happens to projects like this?

    I think he is either naive or ignorant to research on this type of modding, and at worst, he can get fined for this project, or if Nintendo/Ubisoft/Konami/Rare is merciful, a cease letter killing this project.

    I'm hoping that this guy is just young and doesn't know what he's doing
    --TurntheHeadphonesUp--
    Steam:X_Sword
    swxrdz.deviantart.com
  • DarksakulDarksakul Your lack of faith disturbs me Joined: Posts: 22,851
    X_Sword wrote: »
    Darksakul wrote: »
    X_Sword wrote: »
    Is it me or Does rayman look like he smoked some weed and his eyes got stuck
    It's called cheap fan made 3D modeling

    The guy running the project does not get a number of real world concerns and issues such as IP law.
    Getting character eyes right should be the least of his concerns.

    And what is up with the fake currency of MN$. I tried to google for MN$ and all I got was Minnesota.
    Why have a alternate currency at all if he based in Florida?

    I'm going to say that, not to his defense or anything, but are we sure he knows what trouble he's going to get himself into? Does he research anything regarding prophiting off of a major company's franchise without consent? Does he /has he seen what happens to projects like this?

    I think he is either naive or ignorant to research on this type of modding, and at worst, he can get fined for this project, or if Nintendo/Ubisoft/Konami/Rare is merciful, a cease letter killing this project.

    I'm hoping that this guy is just young and doesn't know what he's doing

    From what I read and heard, Nintendo done sending C&D letters. The C&D letter is a "legal nicety", there no reason a company has to send a C&D.

    Fined? Try taken to court for hundreds of thousands of dollars for damages over IP infringement. That isn't a fine, that sell your house, car and hope you have enough at the end that you don't go to bankruptcy court.
    "You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance."
  • javertjavert 'sup Joined: Posts: 1,194
    MXN, which appear on the goals, means mexican pesos.

    Dunno why if he resides in Minnesota but given how the currency has devalued to new bottoms, he could have the project funded just as time passes.

    Not going to bother reading the whole page but who handles physical cartridges in 2017?
  • DarksakulDarksakul Your lack of faith disturbs me Joined: Posts: 22,851
    javert wrote: »
    MXN, which appear on the goals, means mexican pesos.

    Dunno why if he resides in Minnesota but given how the currency has devalued to new bottoms, he could have the project funded just as time passes.
    The guy lives in Miami Florida according to KS. He using MX$ not MXN. There is no MX$ Currency.
    Not going to bother reading the whole page but who handles physical cartridges in 2017?
    He not selling cards or offering any physical rewards. He just going to offer a patch file free to modify the rom.
    You need a Flash Cart of some sort to play on a real console.
    "You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance."
  • AlphaCommandoAlphaCommando Goten More Years Joined: Posts: 3,147
    Darksakul wrote: »
    javert wrote: »
    MXN, which appear on the goals, means mexican pesos.

    Dunno why if he resides in Minnesota but given how the currency has devalued to new bottoms, he could have the project funded just as time passes.
    The guy lives in Miami Florida according to KS. He using MX$ not MXN. There is no MX$ Currency.

    Look at the reward tiers and it specifies MXN in the conversion rate.

    Also, this dude's raised like... $12 USD. Someone got mummy's credit card info.
    Team Breath of Fire IV (Ryu, Won-Qu, Fou-Lu): Zero[6] γ, Amaterasu[5] β, Dante[6] α
    Zero/Amaterasu/Dante

    "As soon as I saw Alpha's avatar, all the blood rushed out of my head and I almost lost my lunch." - Missing Person
    "I betting that every mafia is mad at me for falling for Alpha." - GodotsRevenge
    "AlphaCommando > RadicalFuzz" - Augustus
  • RadicalFuzzRadicalFuzz Invading Pokopon's Courtrooms Joined: Posts: 4,795
    For the record the Project M team never received a C&D from Nintendo. They got a lawyer, realized that Nintendo could sue them for everything they'd ever own in their lives, and decided it wasn't worth it. If Nintendo was adamant about shutting down PM then they had plenty of time and effective methods to do so. Point still stands though, this guy is an absolute idiot.
    I am the one true frog.
  • DarksakulDarksakul Your lack of faith disturbs me Joined: Posts: 22,851
    For the record the Project M team never received a C&D from Nintendo. They got a lawyer, realized that Nintendo could sue them for everything they'd ever own in their lives, and decided it wasn't worth it. If Nintendo was adamant about shutting down PM then they had plenty of time and effective methods to do so. Point still stands though, this guy is an absolute idiot.

    I never said they got a C&D, only legal action taken against them. Project M should of gotten a Lawyer, it allowed them to settle out of court will alot less lost.
    Nintendo waits till the moment of release so they can claim damages, they haven't send a C&D in a long time.
    "You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance."
  • RadicalFuzzRadicalFuzz Invading Pokopon's Courtrooms Joined: Posts: 4,795
    Even settling out of court is a pretty steep price, so when they talked with the lawyer they decided to abandon further development. My bad on the C&D, I misread your posts.
    I am the one true frog.
  • DarksakulDarksakul Your lack of faith disturbs me Joined: Posts: 22,851
    edited April 19
    It's cool.

    Yeah A C&D isn't legal action, it's a legal nicety.
    Like a fair warring, issue is C&D don't go into a public record afterwards.
    Court records are public (even if you move to settle out of court), and a company has the legal responsibility to protect their IP, sometimes aggressively.

    It also show that if company gone too soft they could lose the next case.
    C&C incoming! Just watch the vid...
    It is the OP that thinks there going to be a C&D.

    I think Nintendo and others are taking their time to build their case.

    I do think it's sad for the guy who start his KS to only have $20 and 5 backers half way though.
    "You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance."
  • CyntalanCyntalan Joined: Posts: 8,331 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    It's 'cause no one gonna fund this shitty mod that will almost assuredly get Nintendo's own Mjolnir dropped onto it before it could ever come out, and everyone knows it.
    ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ PRAISE HELIX ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

    "NO! NOT LIKE THIS!" - Random audience member, Evo 2k9 SC4 finals. Go Hilde!
    "You are a weird, adorable little man, OZ." - Vynce
    "I violated marc but we definitely cool now." - dre37k
  • DarksakulDarksakul Your lack of faith disturbs me Joined: Posts: 22,851
    Cyntalan wrote: »
    It's 'cause no one gonna fund this shitty mod that will almost assuredly get Nintendo's own Mjolnir dropped onto it before it could ever come out, and everyone knows it.

    I know that, it still just plain sad to see $20 from 5 backers
    It's like a sign he should quit the project now and delete all his work
    "You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance."
  • truendymiontruendymion Beer Me! Joined: Posts: 2,209
    edited April 20
    Goddammit this shitty post is becoming more popular than the thread for my game :bawling:
  • javertjavert 'sup Joined: Posts: 1,194
    What happened first, this or the Flappy Bird fiasco?

    That guy seems to have come out fine given that he did much worse.
  • FoxBlazeFoxBlaze Lets get it. Joined: Posts: 89
    Makes a mod out of a game that's not even theirs and still tries to sell it for profit... Yea... this guy DEFINITELY has the right idea... not. Don't know what this guy is thinking but he's an idiot if he thinks anything good is gonna come of this.
    https://arcadiacustoms.tumblr.com/
    I take commissions upon request so if interested, Feel free to Hit me up through a PM, Visit my Twitter Page (https://twitter.com/ArcadiaCustoms) or contact me through my Email foxblaze2016@gmail.com.

    PSN: ArmadaBeatz
    Steam: Armada
    Fightcade: Armada101
  • DarksakulDarksakul Your lack of faith disturbs me Joined: Posts: 22,851
    edited April 23
    javert wrote: »
    What happened first, this or the Flappy Bird fiasco?

    That guy seems to have come out fine given that he did much worse.

    With Flappy bird, he just reused someone's assets. If they were not the distinct Super Mario world assets he would of been fine.
    But they are very distinct Mario images being used Nintendo brought on the Mjolnir drop in form of a lawsuit. It looks like it was settled out of court.

    This is straight up much worst, Not just he modifying a game and calling it his own, he also infringing on a number of other copyrights from Ubisoft, Konami, and Microsoft.
    Each could bring their own lawsuit to the guy, which he have to fight separately.

    The funniest thing, I followed his intro video to the guys YouTube channel. link
    There as this comment by the creator
    More information will be revealed at E3.
    Yes, just as every one of those IP holders will have their sharks people watching the internet for reactions.
    "You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance."
  • InfernomanInfernoman Bro as Hell Joined: Posts: 9,315
    This gets better and better. Oh man let's see how far it will go
    Who else in a movie wrestled an evil lesbian and by forcefully kissing her, turned her not only heterosexual but good as well? Exactly. That, my friend, is the power of Sean motherfucking Connery - Valaris
«1