Smashbros mod on Kickstarter... Could something this retarded be real?!

truendymiontruendymion Beer Me!Joined: Posts: 2,192
edited April 11 in General Discussion
C&C incoming! Just watch the vid...
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/overload/smash-overload/description
If you support us it’s really important you know that you are not giving us money in exchange for anything in particular. We hope you’ll support us because you believe in our work as modders.
This guy went full retard...
Post edited by truendymion on

Comments

• DarksakulDarksakul Your lack of faith disturbs me Joined: Posts: 22,416
    edited April 11
    Waiting for the Lawsuits to start coming in.
    The guys behind Smash Project M got some legal action taken against them by Nintendo.

I just waiting for the shit to hit the fan on this one, as it going to be Nintendo, Microsoft and the other various IP owners against this idiot on KS.

They don't even need to sell the game, they are taking in profits for work that not theirs.
    Even if they didn't ask for a dime, Nintendo can sue their pants off.
    "You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance."
  • truendymiontruendymion Beer Me! Joined: Posts: 2,192
    @NickRocks
    I didn't know where else to put this steaming pile... general discussion seemed like a good spot.
    edited April 12
    Blindknagg wrote: »
    Why add new items and stages when the community will just ban them? https://cdn.discordapp.com/emojis/268831890990039040.png

Does not matter, this KS is lawsuit bait, Nintendo is going to go down on the modders like a hungry high school football team on a all you can eat buffet.
    Post edited by Darksakul on
  • Tien GoukiTien Gouki Captain Jack Joined: Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Hey at least the stuff that comes from things like this can be entertaining.
    I like how he mentions 12 new characters and stages, then shows 4 reskins and 2spooky Dootstination like we're meant to be eagerly anticipating his next reveal.

What baffles me is how poorly this was thought out by a guy that has some semblance of modding capability. Like how do you know how to design and import an entire level, but don't know how to justify costs and how copyright works? Like it seems that he's trying to circumvent it by specifying that they're only "donations" and he's "not making money off the project", but that shit doesn't fly even if it's 100% fan made with no funding at all (see: Pokémon: Uranium).

Is this like book smarts without street smarts? Because I think that's called autism.

Pokémon: Uranium, Project M, AM2R, all got shut down by Nintendo

It does not matter if you made a cent or not, it only matters is if Nintendo can claim damages.
    And Nintendo no longer send C&D letters, they now send a angrier letter saying they will see you in court for more money than you can possibly make in a year.
    Or a mere 10k (or so) and you signing a agreement saying not just you never do this again, you can never speak bad about the company again or the agreement made.
    Breaking the contract will put you back at square one with the lawsuit.
  • TebboTebbo Play. Joined: Posts: 5,688
    jesus fuck this is beyond clueless.
    if the person doing it isn't a kid, like >= 15 years old...
    Play more.
  • X_SwordX_Sword -+FGs, Art, and Beats+- Joined: Posts: 1,763
    edited April 13
    Is it me or Does rayman look like he smoked some weed and his eyes got stuck
    --TurntheHeadphonesUp--
    Steam:X_Sword
    swxrdz.deviantart.com
    edited April 13
    X_Sword wrote: »
    It's called cheap fan made 3D modeling

The guy running the project does not get a number of real world concerns and issues such as IP law.
    Getting character eyes right should be the least of his concerns.

And what is up with the fake currency of MN$. I tried to google for MN$ and all I got was Minnesota.
    Why have a alternate currency at all if he based in Florida?
  • WTF-AKUMA-HAXWTF-AKUMA-HAX DBGT non canon > maxxvatar OVA Joined: Posts: 17,798
    More Noodle Cash?

Top Ramen stipends, especially after a Nintendo lawsuit.
    1999 = "A Game with Parries isn't Street Fighter"
    2016 = "Releasing a Complete Game isn't Street Fighter"
    You wouldn't even understand if I told you.
    People will forget what you said.
    People will forget what you did.
    But, people will never forget how you made them feel.

• X_SwordX_Sword -+FGs, Art, and Beats+- Joined: Posts: 1,763
    Darksakul wrote: »

The guy running the project does not get a number of real world concerns and issues such as IP law.

And what is up with the fake currency of MN$. I tried to google for MN$ and all I got was Minnesota.

I'm going to say that, not to his defense or anything, but are we sure he knows what trouble he's going to get himself into? Does he research anything regarding prophiting off of a major company's franchise without consent? Does he /has he seen what happens to projects like this?

I think he is either naive or ignorant to research on this type of modding, and at worst, he can get fined for this project, or if Nintendo/Ubisoft/Konami/Rare is merciful, a cease letter killing this project.

I'm hoping that this guy is just young and doesn't know what he's doing
    --TurntheHeadphonesUp--
    Steam:X_Sword
    swxrdz.deviantart.com

I'm going to say that, not to his defense or anything, but are we sure he knows what trouble he's going to get himself into? Does he research anything regarding prophiting off of a major company's franchise without consent? Does he /has he seen what happens to projects like this?

I think he is either naive or ignorant to research on this type of modding, and at worst, he can get fined for this project, or if Nintendo/Ubisoft/Konami/Rare is merciful, a cease letter killing this project.

I'm hoping that this guy is just young and doesn't know what he's doing

From what I read and heard, Nintendo done sending C&D letters. The C&D letter is a "legal nicety", there no reason a company has to send a C&D.

Fined? Try taken to court for hundreds of thousands of dollars for damages over IP infringement. That isn't a fine, that sell your house, car and hope you have enough at the end that you don't go to bankruptcy court.
  • javertjavert 'sup Joined: Posts: 1,170
    MXN, which appear on the goals, means mexican pesos.

Dunno why if he resides in Minnesota but given how the currency has devalued to new bottoms, he could have the project funded just as time passes.

Not going to bother reading the whole page but who handles physical cartridges in 2017?
    javert wrote: »

Dunno why if he resides in Minnesota but given how the currency has devalued to new bottoms, he could have the project funded just as time passes.
    The guy lives in Miami Florida according to KS. He using MX$ not MXN. There is no MX$ Currency.
    Not going to bother reading the whole page but who handles physical cartridges in 2017?
    He not selling cards or offering any physical rewards. He just going to offer a patch file free to modify the rom.
    You need a Flash Cart of some sort to play on a real console.
  • AlphaCommandoAlphaCommando Goten More Years Joined: Posts: 3,146

The guy lives in Miami Florida according to KS. He using MX$ not MXN. There is no MX$ Currency.

Look at the reward tiers and it specifies MXN in the conversion rate.

Also, this dude's raised like... $12 USD. Someone got mummy's credit card info.
    Team Breath of Fire IV (Ryu, Won-Qu, Fou-Lu): Zero[6] γ, Amaterasu[5] β, Dante[6] α
    Zero/Amaterasu/Dante

"As soon as I saw Alpha's avatar, all the blood rushed out of my head and I almost lost my lunch." - Missing Person
    "I betting that every mafia is mad at me for falling for Alpha." - GodotsRevenge
    "AlphaCommando > RadicalFuzz" - Augustus
  • RadicalFuzzRadicalFuzz Invading Pokopon's Courtrooms Joined: Posts: 4,795
    For the record the Project M team never received a C&D from Nintendo. They got a lawyer, realized that Nintendo could sue them for everything they'd ever own in their lives, and decided it wasn't worth it. If Nintendo was adamant about shutting down PM then they had plenty of time and effective methods to do so. Point still stands though, this guy is an absolute idiot.
    I am the one true frog.
    For the record the Project M team never received a C&D from Nintendo. They got a lawyer, realized that Nintendo could sue them for everything they'd ever own in their lives, and decided it wasn't worth it. If Nintendo was adamant about shutting down PM then they had plenty of time and effective methods to do so. Point still stands though, this guy is an absolute idiot.

I never said they got a C&D, only legal action taken against them. Project M should of gotten a Lawyer, it allowed them to settle out of court will alot less lost.
    Nintendo waits till the moment of release so they can claim damages, they haven't send a C&D in a long time.
  • RadicalFuzzRadicalFuzz Invading Pokopon's Courtrooms Joined: Posts: 4,795
    Even settling out of court is a pretty steep price, so when they talked with the lawyer they decided to abandon further development. My bad on the C&D, I misread your posts.
    I am the one true frog.
    edited April 19
    It's cool.

Yeah A C&D isn't legal action, it's a legal nicety.
    Like a fair warring, issue is C&D don't go into a public record afterwards.
    Court records are public (even if you move to settle out of court), and a company has the legal responsibility to protect their IP, sometimes aggressively.

It also show that if company gone too soft they could lose the next case.
    C&C incoming! Just watch the vid...
    It is the OP that thinks there going to be a C&D.

I think Nintendo and others are taking their time to build their case.

I do think it's sad for the guy who start his KS to only have $20 and 5 backers half way though.
  • CyntalanCyntalan Joined: Posts: 8,331 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    It's 'cause no one gonna fund this shitty mod that will almost assuredly get Nintendo's own Mjolnir dropped onto it before it could ever come out, and everyone knows it.
    ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ PRAISE HELIX ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

"NO! NOT LIKE THIS!" - Random audience member, Evo 2k9 SC4 finals. Go Hilde!
    "You are a weird, adorable little man, OZ." - Vynce
    "I violated marc but we definitely cool now." - dre37k
    Cyntalan wrote: »
    It's 'cause no one gonna fund this shitty mod that will almost assuredly get Nintendo's own Mjolnir dropped onto it before it could ever come out, and everyone knows it.

I know that, it still just plain sad to see $20 from 5 backers
    It's like a sign he should quit the project now and delete all his work
  • truendymiontruendymion Beer Me! Joined: Posts: 2,192
    edited April 20
    Goddammit this shitty post is becoming more popular than the thread for my game :bawling:
  • javertjavert 'sup Joined: Posts: 1,170
    What happened first, this or the Flappy Bird fiasco?

That guy seems to have come out fine given that he did much worse.
  • FoxBlazeFoxBlaze Lets get it. Joined: Posts: 83
    Makes a mod out of a game that's not even theirs and still tries to sell it for profit... Yea... this guy DEFINITELY has the right idea... not. Don't know what this guy is thinking but he's an idiot if he thinks anything good is gonna come of this.
    https://arcadiacustoms.tumblr.com/
    I take commissions upon request so if interested, Feel free to Hit me up through a PM, Visit my Twitter Page (https://twitter.com/megablazerboy) or contact me through my Email foxblaze2016@gmail.com.

PSN: ArmadaBeatz
    Steam: Armada
    Fightcade: Armada101
    edited April 23
    What happened first, this or the Flappy Bird fiasco?

That guy seems to have come out fine given that he did much worse.

With Flappy bird, he just reused someone's assets. If they were not the distinct Super Mario world assets he would of been fine.
    But they are very distinct Mario images being used Nintendo brought on the Mjolnir drop in form of a lawsuit. It looks like it was settled out of court.

This is straight up much worst, Not just he modifying a game and calling it his own, he also infringing on a number of other copyrights from Ubisoft, Konami, and Microsoft.
    Each could bring their own lawsuit to the guy, which he have to fight separately.

The funniest thing, I followed his intro video to the guys YouTube channel. link
    There as this comment by the creator
    More information will be revealed at E3.
    Yes, just as every one of those IP holders will have their sharks people watching the internet for reactions.
  • InfernomanInfernoman Bro as Hell Joined: Posts: 9,217
    This gets better and better. Oh man let's see how far it will go
    Who else in a movie wrestled an evil lesbian and by forcefully kissing her, turned her not only heterosexual but good as well? Exactly. That, my friend, is the power of Sean motherfucking Connery - Valaris
    BBQ wrote: »
    Lmfao, this reminded me of a story of an upstart ski company that basically began and died within a few days. Years ago at SIA, which is the ski and snowboard industry trade show, equivalent to E3, a new company had a booth. At the 3rd day during the opening, people were still setting up as in years past you work during the day and towards the end start partying. Anyway, its not uncommon to have celebrities attend the show, even those that have never ski/board as this trade show was held in Vegas. So, as the reps of this company was setting up their products, one being a pair of skis that on the graphics was the iconic tongue sticking out of one of the member's of KISS. Like clockwork, as the rep is setting the second ski on display, Gene Simmons walks by and notices what's on the ski. After confronting the owner of the company, they took the skis down for the remainder of the the show and it was the last time anyone in the industry heard from them.

Many people fail to realize Musicians such as Gene Simmons of KISS and James Hetfield of Metallica and many others are business men first, Celebrities second.
    Biggest example is Marshall Mathers AKA Eminem, who now produce records for other artist.
    You don't stay successful in the music industry for decades without knowing your way around how business and IP law works.
  • Rhio2kRhio2k Senior Member Joined: Posts: 11,454 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    edited April 26
    tataki wrote: »
    What the hell is MX$...?
    EDIT: AH, he's from Florida, that explains it.

Megaman X dollars. It's the currency they use in the year 20XX.

Yeah, they will finally get the last few hundred Bison Dollars out of circulation in 12/03/2099. The MX$ catches on pretty fast afterwards, according to my Quantum History professor.

You know...I don't think I've ever seen someone try to fuck with so many companies at the same time...
    Roger: Well, Anita's pregnant, and-
    Cruella: Well, what can I say? Accidents will happen.
    Roger: We're having puppies, too.
    Cruella: *Gasp* Puppies!? *Leer* My, you have been a busy boy!
  • HawkingbirdHawkingbird I am thou...thou art I Joined: Posts: 25,651
    Lmfao, this reminded me of a story of an upstart ski company that basically began and died within a few days. Years ago at SIA, which is the ski and snowboard industry trade show, equivalent to E3, a new company had a booth. At the 3rd day during the opening, people were still setting up as in years past you work during the day and towards the end start partying. Anyway, its not uncommon to have celebrities attend the show, even those that have never ski/board as this trade show was held in Vegas. So, as the reps of this company was setting up their products, one being a pair of skis that on the graphics was the iconic tongue sticking out of one of the member's of KISS. Like clockwork, as the rep is setting the second ski on display, Gene Simmons walks by and notices what's on the ski. After confronting the owner of the company, they took the skis down for the remainder of the the show and it was the last time anyone in the industry heard from them.

Many people fail to realize Musicians such as Gene Simmons of KISS and James Hetfield of Metallica and many others are business men first, Celebrities second.
    Biggest example is Marshall Mathers AKA Eminem, who now produce records for other artist.
    You don't stay successful in the music industry for decades without knowing your way around how business and IP law works.

Musicians are treasure hoarding dragons when it comes to IP. They will often destroy their own self interest to protect what they own.
    PSN: Hawkingbird
    FC: 0834-1564-0151
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/runawayavenger

Musicians are treasure hoarding dragons when it comes to IP. They will often destroy their own self interest to protect what they own.
    No, IP law pretty much require IP holders to aggressively protect their accents.

I do admit the music industry is kinda stupid in this regards
  • CHIEfyCHIEfy Joined: Posts: 1,070
    You don't need a penny to do mods for an N64 game. Why work on mods for the N64 version when you can mod Smash for WiiU?

This guy is trying to finesse people.
    "Competitive Smash is all about no items and Final Destination."
    - Masahiro Sakurai
    CHIEfy wrote: »
    You don't need a penny to do mods for an N64 game. Why work on mods for the N64 version when you can mod Smash for WiiU?

This guy is trying to finesse people.

Well both are illegal. :coffee: