3rd Strike General Discussion Thread

Comments

• pheraipherai LIVE FOREVER Joined: Posts: 11,885 mod
    nesica 3rd feels awful!

maybe when compared to playing on your pc netplay at home its not bad, but its literally on arcade hardware!

Im not sure why youd play nesica for any game unless it doesnt have its own dedicated cab like Skullgirls
    pherai gouki dated gwen stefani in HighSchool. Thats why today she likes all things Japan. smokin.gif
  • Hol HorseHol Horse a.k.a. Fugo ~ イタリアの強大なユリアン Joined: Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    edited November 2016
    pherai wrote: »
    nesica 3rd feels awful!

maybe when compared to playing on your pc netplay at home its not bad, but its literally on arcade hardware!

Im not sure why youd play nesica for any game unless it doesnt have its own dedicated cab like Skullgirls

depending on the hardware setup though it could run better on a home made custom pc than on the arcade machine though. I think it's worth exploring at least.

EDIT: for some weird ass reason in 2015 during my Japan trip I remember one day at game versus when MOV was there but didn't even touch the cps3 cabs but he went on the Nesica setup and played like 30 games there (mostly vs Furo)
    gooby plz
  • TebboTebbo Play. Joined: Posts: 5,702
    maybe they were playing a bunch to get a feel and compare?
    Play more.
  • araider08araider08 Use your head! Or I will... I need a new bowling ball. Joined: Posts: 1,035
    Tebbo wrote: »
    that's cool you're playing there now richter.
    i'll have to plan a trip down.

not sure now who shows up.

araider if you want some useless stats for every character i have them.
    i went through and compiled all the data as far as their raw stats and basic hurtboxes (crouching and standing) and then rated them. I wanted to put it all together into little spreads for each character highlighting their most notable qualities and any interesting quirks along with a broad overview. i don't have the drive to make that little pdf overview guide i'd like to right now but if you want the data for your site you can use it

If you send me the data I'd be glad to look through it and put it somewhere!
    MakSwag
  • Spinning BeatSpinning Beat Mr. creampie your girl Joined: Posts: 3,973
    Does 3s still have an active community?

I would love to get back into 3rd strike. It's really my favorite fighting game. I used have so much fun playing this back in the day.
    The most beautiful rose is cultivated in the blood of those who fall before me.
    SFV: Vega.
    3S:Ibuki, Yang, Ryu
    KOF 98:Kyo/Iori/O.Chris
    I play to learn, because you can't win if you don't know shit.
    July, 16 1991: That's when the beat dropped.
    CFN:weedandwater
    R.I.P Bankroll Fresh
  • NaerasNaeras Terribad Joined: Posts: 3,393
    The 3S Europe-discord is relatively active, so I'd imagine it's still easy to get games if you ask. I don't play the game online though (partially because I can't get the game to work on fightcade and I discontinued my XBL; said XBL-acc locked itself up either way).
  • IglooBobIglooBob Bob the builder Joined: Posts: 4,039
    The game is probably the most active of any old game in America (~50 entrants for majors) and very active online. But you gotta know your way around each platform.

Fightcade - lots of people with a large variance in skill level. There's lots of new players but also some medium and big boys. It's easy to find matches here.

Xbl - lots of medium and big boys but they tend to only play in private lobbies so you likely need to join the xbl chat to get games. Ranked is not really active.

I don't know anything about psn so can't give info on that one
  • jblairjblair Joined: Posts: 1,435
    so megaman X is a marvel character or a cacom one?
  • RichterRichter ~~~00~~~ Joined: Posts: 1,878
    Looney Tunes :smokin:
    coffee.gifapplaud.gifkarate.gifthumbsup.gifwtf.gifpray.gifsmokin.gifparty.gifcool2.gifchinasmile.gifnunchuck.gifsad.gifeek.pngmad.pngcybot.gif
  • RichterRichter ~~~00~~~ Joined: Posts: 1,878
    NEC was awesome, great competition . Thanks to Nica K.O and MutantXP for throwing the event. Ggs to b everyone
    coffee.gifapplaud.gifkarate.gifthumbsup.gifwtf.gifpray.gifsmokin.gifparty.gifcool2.gifchinasmile.gifnunchuck.gifsad.gifeek.pngmad.pngcybot.gif
  • akuaku スピリチュアルやからね! Joined: Posts: 3,865
    Here's a funky little ditty: Boss's 3rd Strike tier list:

Top to Bottom:
    - Chun-Li
    - Ken
    - Yun
    - Makoto
    - Oro
    - Yang
    - Dudley
    - Akuma
    - Urien
    - Ryu
    - Elena
    - Necro
    - Ibuki
    - Alex
    - Twelve
    - Remy
    - Sean
    - Hugo
    - Q

The markings on the right:
    ◎ = I'm confident this is the right spot, 〇 = They're likely in this spot, △ = Hmm...(uncertain), ✖ = I mostly just made up the numbers

He admits that he made up quite a few of the matchup numbers, hence the weird bottom-half, but I just thought it's interesting to see his list in comparison to other top players' like Kuroda and Mester. Also Oro is so high lol

edited December 2016
    Lol I was about to post it myself
    Yep the bottom half is busted, I can't see how could Twelve be above anyone in this game. I like his ratings of the Urien matchups though.
    He's not the first to rate Oro high, and I agree, Oro has been underrated for years in my opinion
    gooby plz
  • NaerasNaeras Terribad Joined: Posts: 3,393
    Saw it. Oro surprised me, at best I've seen people put him at the bottom of high tier.
  • VeseriusVeserius Hold Down Back Joined: Posts: 11,491
    Naeras wrote: »
    Saw it. Oro surprised me, at best I've seen people put him at the bottom of high tier.

kuroda had him 3rd tied with Yun like a year ago.
    Vuh-sair-ee-us or just Ves I guess | Twitter | Youtube  | Maj's Footsie Handbook  | My TMNT:TF Netplay Guide
  • MesenkomahaMesenkomaha Joined: Posts: 580
    IglooBob wrote: »
    The game is probably the most active of any old game in America (~50 entrants for majors) and very active online. But you gotta know your way around each platform.

Fightcade - lots of people with a large variance in skill level. There's lots of new players but also some medium and big boys. It's easy to find matches here.

Xbl - lots of medium and big boys but they tend to only play in private lobbies so you likely need to join the xbl chat to get games. Ranked is not really active.

I don't know anything about psn so can't give info on that one

PSN has by far the worst quality of players. You can play ranked all day if you'd like, it is active, but you're likely going to be playing noobs.
  • miomio You have no dignity. Joined: Posts: 552
    Anyone know where I can find that video with Rom stumbling drunk where he says "play third strike it's the good game"?
    Hol Horse wrote: »
    Lol I was about to post it myself
    Yep the bottom half is busted, I can't see how could Twelve be above anyone in this game. I like his ratings of the Urien matchups though.
    He's not the first to rate Oro high, and I agree, Oro has been underrated for years in my opinion

Well. he basically says 'i have no idea'.
    but really i don't think twelve is as bad as he's thought to be. i think he's suffered because not many people use him. so not much has changed over a decade.
    Play more.
  • YunaYuna Politically correct as fuck since 2006 Joined: Posts: 7,492
    Is it just me or is Blue Nocturne the worst goddamn super in this entire game? I seriously can't think of a super that sucks more than that outside of maybe Total Destruction.
    "Here's the thing, kids: words mean things, and most of what gets slagged as 'political correctness' is really just being nice, and most of the 'righteous complainers' are simply jerkwads who don't think certain people or groups deserve their niceness. If you're a guy, and you've ever uttered something along the lines of 'dude, sexual harrassment doesn't exist. That's just something chicks make up when they change their minds,' guess what, bro. You're not the lone hero standing up to feminist PC police. You're a pig."
    --Bob Chipman

"It's a male myth about feminists that we hate sex."
    --Maude Lebowski
  • R.P.D rookieR.P.D rookie Totally Destructed Joined: Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Yuna wrote: »
    Is it just me or is Blue Nocturne the worst goddamn super in this entire game? I seriously can't think of a super that sucks more than that outside of maybe Total Destruction.

I'd say Total Destruction adds another layer to the Q strategy. Everyone changes their play style to some degree when you activate Q SA3. More times than not it's a defensive/runaway mindset for the opponent: they end up giving a lot of space for a Q player to finish taunts or get a breather from aggressive players. Lots of opportunity to punish with standard moves because some get so preoccupied with avoiding getting grabbed. Though I've never been good enough to claim it is true, apparently Q can be lethal to opponents he corners. An opponent knocked into the corner with Q activating SA3 usually makes the opponent go batshit on wanting out of the corner even more so.

"Come up in that fucken cornfield!!" --Rocky L Rose

generally yes but there is a player that chooses SA3 specifically against Q when the Q player uses SA1 to go through LOVs. On reaction Remy SA3 hard counters Q SA1. Look up YOU Remy to see what Im talking about. Its pretty cool!

SA3 Alex vs Oro and SA2 Tweleve vs Remy are similar single matchup super choices. I made a thread about these supers a few years back but its probably buried quite deep by now.
    pherai gouki dated gwen stefani in HighSchool. Thats why today she likes all things Japan. smokin.gif
    edited April 24
    pherai wrote: »

generally yes but there is a player that chooses SA3 specifically against Q when the Q player uses SA1 to go through LOVs. On reaction Remy SA3 hard counters Q SA1. Look up YOU Remy to see what Im talking about. Its pretty cool!

SA3 Alex vs Oro and SA2 Tweleve vs Remy are similar single matchup super choices. I made a thread about these supers a few years back but its probably buried quite deep by now.

There's also Jirou picking Akuma's SA2 in some matchups.
    Never really understood the point of Alex SA3 vs Oro

gooby plz
    edited April 24
    that's such a funny and incredibly specific trade off.

q sa1 can blow through lov, remy sa3 can activate before q sa1 hits.

outside q using sa1 in a combo the net result is like neither has super lol.

i've always wanted to find something special out about sa3. but i haven't...
    yet.

there's probably still stuff to it.
    maybe the secret is really to use projectiles to activate it and then watch remy fly across the stage like an idiot.
    Play more.
    that's such a funny and incredibly specific trade off.

q sa1 can blow through lov, remy sa3 can activate before q sa1 hits.

outside q using sa1 in a combo the net result is like neither has super lol.

i've always wanted to find something special out about sa3. but i haven't...
    yet.

there's probably still stuff to it.
    maybe the secret is really to use projectiles to activate it and then watch remy fly across the stage like an idiot.

So the remy matchup where the opponent uses sa3 against me, they never use it to punish my sa1 through the lovs. It's usually a blind guess if I'm going to attack. That's a good way to use Remy's sa3 to counter the Q sa1.

Maybe one could also use it off a red parry in the middle of an opponent attack that can't stop (like Dudley machine gun) or punish lightning legs. For a Q to nullify that sa3 punish would require super human reflexes to catch the remy at point blank mid projectile animation.
    you think a random guess is a good idea?
    yeah any parry situation vs multi-hit attacks, sure. it's just not worth it and in all cases you rely on your opponent's choice, not yours.
    Play more.
    edited April 24
    Random guesses are never a good idea at high level. Not sure how a remy can utilize the sa3 outside of some crafty red parry. It can be done it sucks online but offline could be doable for the commited remy player.
    also 99% of the situations where SAIII works.. SAII does the same thing, on top of its other uses and 2 stocks.
    SAIII would have been serviceable if it didn't have the super flash on startup and did more damage.
    gooby plz
    SA3s in general are the weirdo ones for most characters. They usually do something different than what the character can do normally.

so they usually suck or are character defining.
    there's no saving blue nocturne lol. the solution is to remove it entirely and give remy the sick ass donkey kick he does during it as a special move.
    Play more.
  • yamasakiyamasaki Joined: Posts: 44

Vs Chun mostly .... he sacrifices zoning for damage

Some set-up are unescapable for Oro .
    yamasaki wrote: »

Vs Chun mostly .... he sacrifices zoning for damage

Some set-up are unescapable for Oro .

it works kind of well for Jiros style. You can connect SA2 after hitting people with dive kick even at its highest point, similar to HP SRK.

Also for Alex, my understanding is it has more to do with being able to react punish fireballs with Stungun
    But when really? Ken has to be at least as slow as oro is with his fireball.
    Hmm.
    Play more.

yo wtf MOV playin arms.
    Play more.
  • sidewindersidewinder Stiff Arm... Joined: Posts: 666 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    oh gawd.. I cant believed what I just saw.. :o
    im not that good , but there's always room for improvement... i think
    the game actually looks really good.
    you just need to see it without the whole fighting game kind of veneer they've put on it. it's a dueling shooter. like duelmod in tribes and also a lot like shootmania where you can defend yourself by shooting the opponents shots.

once you look at it like that, as a duel style shooter with fighting game elements, it's pretty sweet.

MOV playing it is funny. Of course he would use the guy who can low profile everything just like scum-li.
    Play more.
  • ParryAllParryAll Dangerous Posts Joined: Posts: 3,311
    edited June 2
    If I jump in on a Ken or Chun with an attack, and they parry the jump in, do they now get a gaurenteed C.MK into super? If so is there any way around this? (Such as down parry?)

yo wtf MOV playin arms.

Omg this looks amazing. Nintendos Virtual On.
    "Third Strike just has that flow which somehow alienates you from your surroundings and really plugs your brain into the match your playing and your able to comprehend so many different situations and mind games and mixups in such a limited amount of time and all this without even thinking" - Nubilous

"[3rd Strike] makes you feel like the character is an extension of yourself when you get good enough." - AzureWolf

"Street Fighter is now like The Simpsons. It's been bad longer than it's been good." -ParryAll
  • Ryu24Ryu24 Retired 3S Titan Joined: Posts: 1,423
    If its a RH far and high away , the low forward from Ken/Chun shouldn't reach.
    If its a deep RH, Ken/Chun shouldn't be able to punish with a cr.mk

• ParryAllParryAll Dangerous Posts Joined: Posts: 3,311
    Ryu24 wrote: »
    If its a RH far and high away , the low forward from Ken/Chun shouldn't reach.
    If its a deep RH, Ken/Chun shouldn't be able to punish with a cr.mk

So in other words, if the jump in isn't delayed/deep, then it can be parried then super, if they're in range? So high, what about mid?
    "Third Strike just has that flow which somehow alienates you from your surroundings and really plugs your brain into the match your playing and your able to comprehend so many different situations and mind games and mixups in such a limited amount of time and all this without even thinking" - Nubilous

"[3rd Strike] makes you feel like the character is an extension of yourself when you get good enough." - AzureWolf

"Street Fighter is now like The Simpsons. It's been bad longer than it's been good." -ParryAll
  • Ryu24Ryu24 Retired 3S Titan Joined: Posts: 1,423
    Mid can be parried and punished cr.mk. You should check these out.
  • Jion_WansuJion_Wansu Joined: Posts: 6,045
    edited July 24
    Where are Gill and Shin Gouki on the tier list?
    Jion_Wansu wrote: »
    Where are Gill and Shin Gouki on the tier list?

just below me
    gooby plz
  • KYO84KYO84 Riddle Solver Joined: Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    What is the best platform/most active scene for this game? 360, PS3 or Fightcade?
    "Better that we die on our feet than live on our knees!" Magneto