Blazblue Cross Tag Battle Official Discussion

Comments

• VoltVolt The Ultra Plastic Warrior Joined: Posts: 1,956
    I hope that they also introduce characters in persona, BB and UNIB lore that aren't playable in the main games, so that REBY aren't the only set of "new characters"

The roster is going to be huge already. This is being done in the BBCF engine, so pretty much everyone in CF can be almost directly ported. But Blazblue doesn't really have a lot of fighters left, unless we're willing to pick people like Linhua and Bang's Subordinate B.

Persona may or may not have some antagonists that can jump in. I'm not sure, watched Ultimax's Story yesterday (P4 Chapter) and it was some real garbage. Unless they pick someone from 5 as foreshadowing of Persona 5 Arena, I don't think that roster can contribute much.

Haven't played UNIB yet. And I don't even know who's this Ruby chick.

Funny part, we can get 73 Characters (BBCF+P4AU+UNIB) without one new sprite in the roster.

That roster will be humongous.

If anyone is crazy enough to fight someone from Rio in SFV's terrible online, CFN is Volt-Ikazuchi.
  • PVL_93_RUPVL_93_RU When's Dragon Ball? Joined: Posts: 10,851
    Thre's one important question I have to ask here

How the hell is ASW gonna balance this whole thing?
    SRK's Story Thread Crew:
    • bakfromon, Miðgarðsorm, & Lord Vega - Translations and Lore info
    • just5moreminutes - Story Mode v2.0
    • Doctrine Dark - Character Bios and Endings
    • Shockdingo - The paragraph writer
    • YagamiFire & Darc Requiem - The thread MVPs
    • Cestus - the Dolls endorser
    • The Shakunetsu - The character concept machine
    • Caio_Lins - The CFN profile cropper
    • Daemos - The thread dictator, also a Bison fanboy
    • DarthEnder - The bullshit caller

Also starring (but not limited to):
    Mykka, Scotia, Hawkingbird, TrueBackLash, Chun-Li_Forever, Kecka, ruthless_nash, mikros, ...
    PVL_93_RU wrote: »

That's the biggest question.

I guess they'll have some pretty strong system mechanics to make sure everyone has at least a fighting chance. No assists also help with that. We can Burst and Counter Assault to be in for sure.

I'm also rather curious about the control scheme. P4A has auto combos and Personas. BB has Drives, no autocombos, a ton of command normals and I don't even know what's UNIB's thing, but I heard they don't have airdashes and they have some weird system mechanics.

How are they going to fit everything in one system?
    If anyone is crazy enough to fight someone from Rio in SFV's terrible online, CFN is Volt-Ikazuchi.
  • yah yaahh b*tch!yah yaahh b*tch! thats my b*tch Joined: Posts: 6,083
    Chances are arksys is going to start small so that balancing will be easier. There's no way this wouldn't be a shitfest otherwise.

Free tag and it's game over for balance if that starting roster is over 25.
    Chances are arksys is going to start small so that balancing will be easier. There's no way this wouldn't be a shitfest otherwise.

Free tag and it's game over for balance if that starting roster is over 25.

Yeah, that's what I thought, until the added that Ruby chick and made it a 4 franchise crossover.

We're getting a roster bigger than MvC2 at this point. You can't have 4 franchises crossing over with less than 10 characters from each or you leave too many people out.

Just think about it, how many Blazblue characters are very important to the plot and iconic enough to get in? I can't cut it to less than 10.
  • .Guy..Guy. STUPID SEXY ROCKET RACCOON! Joined: Posts: 2,020
    You still have to consider the RWBY side needs completely new work done AND it would have to match up to the other franchise' character size, if they need it to.
    Lieutenant Colonel of the M.O.D.O.K. AVENGERS
    MadTitan brand toothpaste, for the god-like toothy smile. Get it now!
    (Not responsible for the loss of YOUR SOUL)
    UMvC3: Joe/RR/Assmaster, Joe/FrankBest/RR
    Your signature has been modifed, please read the rules.
  • MuttonmanMuttonman Joined: Posts: 2,868
    Volt wrote: »

That's the biggest question.

I guess they'll have some pretty strong system mechanics to make sure everyone has at least a fighting chance. No assists also help with that. We can Burst and Counter Assault to be in for sure.

I'm also rather curious about the control scheme. P4A has auto combos and Personas. BB has Drives, no autocombos, a ton of command normals and I don't even know what's UNIB's thing, but I heard they don't have airdashes and they have some weird system mechanics.

How are they going to fit everything in one system?

Uniel has reverse beats, a hop button (which you can psuedo airdash with), and Shield which is like barrier blocking but reduces blockstun.

I don't expect Uniel system mechanics to be ported over unless they do Grooves
  • ES_CurseES_Curse ALL HAIL THE HOLY PHARAOH Joined: Posts: 8,146
    KiyaaKing wrote: »
    Lol damn, this turned into a Capcom haters thread real fast. If this game gets in, best believe something else is going to give. No way is a new and highly anticipated game going to be pushed out of Evo, no matter how bad the marketing for it has been. That being said, ASW deserves to be top dog in the FG industry right now.

I thought you were talking about MvCI until you said "highly anticipated"
    formerly just5moreminutes. I guess the clock ran out.
  • Missing PersonMissing Person Quickly becoming the Sailor Moon S guy. Joined: Posts: 13,843
    Leon63 wrote: »
    Too lazy to photoshop them running side by side. Team best girls.
    uJ0z1.gif C97b4Xx.gif

Also not as optimistic as to expect Makoto to be 100% in, but we'll work with what we get.

Jesus are we sharing a brain?

I turned to my homeys after the reveal, and said if these two characters are in, I'm rushing down EB Games day -200 for this game.
    XBL: WatCnBrwnDo4U | PSN: LanierIsPlusEV/FORpowerfulGame | CFN: MissingPerson/YddeDdeDe GGPO/FightCade: Missing Person | Steam: [TAS] Missing Person | Battle.net: MissingPersn#1365
    Twitter: JTMMissingPersn | Instagram: jtmmissingperson | Twitch: twitch.tv/missingpersonsrk
    I hope we get Guilty Gear characters anyway. I feel like someone out there might have the hands to play a Carl Clover/Zato-1 team.
  • Leon63Leon63 Joined: Posts: 9,773
    Best girls shall always be best girls.
  • affinityaffinity Joined: Posts: 2,841
    looks half baked and the full roster can only be underwhelming. might as well MUGEN. that mish mash fighting game is too try hard, and not a decent combination.
    what a waste of money and resources. this just bloats the genre of upcoming fighting games in bad ways.

Like at least be original or make a pure sequel of something, instead of just stuffing them in a blender for a cash grab
  • po pimpuspo pimpus Beyond Anger... Ultra Rage Joined: Posts: 26,003
    Yall can hate on Capcom all you want but MvCI, no matter how shit it is, won't be going anywhere.

"Capcom should listen to their fans... Mega Man is a cool character." -2048 President Elect Kevin at Age 10
  • HawkingbirdHawkingbird I am thou...thou art I Joined: Posts: 26,532

They should focus on making a fun and functional game first. The balance can come later.
    PSN: Hawkingbird
    FC: 0834-1564-0151
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/runawayavenger
  • yah yaahh b*tch!yah yaahh b*tch! thats my b*tch Joined: Posts: 6,083
    You're not getting Guilty Gear characters. There was an interview where they asked about a vs series a while back and they said it wasn't in the pipeline...obviously because this was in the works.

Also...XRD isn't very anime compared to the other games I feel like the characters don't mesh well with what BB is doing. I want Rev to continue to be it's own thing
    You're not getting Guilty Gear characters. There was an interview where they asked about a vs series a while back and they said it wasn't in the pipeline...obviously because this was in the works.

Also...XRD isn't very anime compared to the other games I feel like the characters don't mesh well with what BB is doing. I want Rev to continue to be it's own thing

Let's be honest here, they're just saving the idea of GGxBB in Rev's engine as a precursor to Blazblue's sequel. They're just too busy with DBFZ now.

I mean, Cross Tag does look like a last hurrah to ASW 2D depending on how you look at it. Everyone and their mother (including the fetus) in a massive tag battle?

Don't get me wrong, maybe they'll do another 2D game, but people have been asking for BB to get the Xrd treatment for a while now, and when Namco asks for it in a DBZ game, you know it's good and popular.
  • HecatomHecatom Aka Black Gorilla (・Д・)ノ Joined: Posts: 23,733
    According to someone on a fb group that i am part of, the highlighted part of this interview says that GG characters will be also in the game

20046579_1100479793417990_4321127120030433470_n.jpg?oh=c56ca8a020ca0f1f67ba91c6a3f7f33f&oe=59F11F6C

We need someone who knows japanese to confirm it.
    ( •_•) IT'S NOT RAPE,
    ( •_•)>⌐■-■
    IT'S SURPRISE SEX! (⌐■_■)
    YEAAAAAAAAAAHHH!!
    "Orgasm is a simile for the emotional epiphany a woman has when the shame of penetration is eclipsed by the inherent virtue of servicing a man." ~ Kromo.
    ( •_•)
    ( ಠ_ಠ)
    ( ಥ_ಥ)
  • Saif_Al_OmairaSaif_Al_Omaira Joined: Posts: 13
    edited July 20
    It definitely says guilty gear in katakana. But why won't they show the guilty gear characters in the trailer, are they updating the sprites or something?
  • CronopioCronopio ST Joined: Posts: 2,143
    If they include someone from Guilty Gear it will be one, two characters tops. BlazBlue, Persona and UNIB sprites are 720p and Guilty Gear ones are 420p, so they wouldn't be able to just dump them in the game as they are, they would have to remake them from the ground up. They will have to make the RWBY characters already, and with them doing DBFZ and most likely also working on future DLC for Xrd I don't see them doing a lot of spritework for this, they chose to do a crossover because they can re-use a lot of assets.

My bet is that they won't have GG characters, and if they do it will be a single guest.
  • Monkey66Monkey66 Joined: Posts: 1,389
    edited July 20
    Some potential RWBY characters

rwby_height_chart_2_0_by_unitymanipulator-d8fyejz.png

Team RWBY will definitely make it as they're the main team

77b3deff15b7278f12f737b3b742c85edd84fd2f_hq.jpg
    Post edited by Monkey66 on
    So whom would you guys consider the more or less guaranteed picks for the game?

From BlazBlue it's obviously the Ragna-Jin-Noel trifecta, two of those are in
    From RWBY it's obviously all the 4 main girls
    From Persona 4 Arena it's at least Yu since he's the protagonist
    From UNIEL it's easy to pick up 10 characters since it's a half of the roster

But who else?

Who are the most important characters to BlazBlue and Persona 4?
    assuming the roster for the game caps out at ~40 (10 from each franchise)
    SRK's Story Thread Crew:

Mykka, Scotia, Hawkingbird, TrueBackLash, Chun-Li_Forever, Kecka, ruthless_nash, mikros, ...
  • HawkingbirdHawkingbird I am thou...thou art I Joined: Posts: 26,532

You have to remember the cast of Persona 3 was also in the Arena games. Aigis is the most important character P3 cast after the events of that game.
    PSN: Hawkingbird
    FC: 0834-1564-0151
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/runawayavenger
    I only know that they need to add Tager, Waldstein and Kanji
    ( •_•) IT'S NOT RAPE,
    ( •_•)>⌐■-■
    YEAAAAAAAAAAHHH!!
    "Orgasm is a simile for the emotional epiphany a woman has when the shame of penetration is eclipsed by the inherent virtue of servicing a man." ~ Kromo.
    ( •_•)
    ( ಠ_ಠ)
    ( ಥ_ಥ)
    So whom would you guys consider the more or less guaranteed picks for the game?

From BlazBlue it's obviously the Ragna-Jin-Noel trifecta, two of those are in
    From RWBY it's obviously all the 4 main girls
    From Persona 4 Arena it's at least Yu since he's the protagonist
    From UNIEL it's easy to pick up 10 characters since it's a half of the roster

But who else?

assuming the roster for the game caps out at ~40 (10 from each franchise)

Alright. Speculation time. 10 reps from BB and P4A.

BB: Ragna (Confirmed), Jin (Confirmed), Hazama, Relius, Rachel, Noel, Nu-13, Nine, Kagura, Kokonoe.

P4A: Yu (Confirmed), Mitsuru, Akihiko, Aigis, Labrys, Naoto, Yosuke, Chie, Kanji, Yukiko.

All 10 of these are guaranteed.
    Now notice how many plot-relevant characters got left behind. For example: Adachi, Hakumen, Mu-12, Sho.

We're getting over 60 characters easy if Guilty Gear doesn't jump in.
  • GespenstRitterGespenstRitter The Deadliest SOB In Space Joined: Posts: 3,247
    I'm as hype for this game as everyone else is, but I think people need to cool down their expectations for completely new characters. This game is only being made in the first place because they can reuse most of the character assets. I'm fully expecting Ruby to be the only one from her series to be in this game, and there might be one other completely new person at best.

If they do make more new assets then all the power to them, but I wouldn't get my hopes up.
    Prove your justice to society.
    I'm as hype for this game as everyone else is, but I think people need to cool down their expectations for completely new characters. This game is only being made in the first place because they can reuse most of the character assets. I'm fully expecting Ruby to be the only one from her series to be in this game, and there might be one other completely new person at best.

If they do make more new assets then all the power to them, but I wouldn't get my hopes up.

To be honest, both P4A and BB have a complete roster. No room for new characters even if they wanted to.

If someone new is coming, it's from RWBY or if they make GG sprites.

Don't know anyone expecting too many new characters.
  • GespenstRitterGespenstRitter The Deadliest SOB In Space Joined: Posts: 3,247
    Volt wrote: »

To be honest, both P4A and BB have a complete roster. No room for new characters even if they wanted to.

If someone new is coming, it's from RWBY or if they make GG sprites.

Don't know anyone expecting too many new characters.

People are going through the whole RWBY cast looking for potential playable fighters when nooooooone of those people are getting in. Even getting just the eponymous squad is a pipe dream.
    Prove your justice to society.
  • KiyaaKingKiyaaKing Joined: Posts: 1,055
    All of team RWBY should get in. I feel like if those 4 are the only new characters, there will be no issues including them all. Like previously stated, the rest are reused assets so no real work required there. They could add as many of the returning characters as they want if all they're doing is copy/pasting and tweaking some numbers. Then all that needs to be done is making the sprites for team RWBY and they're done. I'm oversimplifying a little bit, but you get the idea. I also suspect they've done significant work on the sprites already by this point.
    My Characters/Teams:
    UMvC3 - Spider-Man/Magneto/Dante, Zero/Dante/Strider, Doom/Dormammu/Dante
    SSF4 - Juri, Yun, El Fuerte
    Injustice - Flash, Zod, Lex Luthor
    Skullgirls - Cerebella/Squigly, Parasoul/Double
    GGXXAC+R - Slayer, Baiken

3DS FC: 5043-2719-7330
    edited July 21
    From the looks, it seems that the UNI sprites are being reworked to match the BB/P4A sprites.
    I also think that from RWBY, the main cast (the 4 girls) are a given.
    It definitely says guilty gear in katakana. But why won't they show the guilty gear characters in the trailer, are they updating the sprites or something?

Probably.
    The GG sprites are just 480p, while the BB/P4A/UNIEL are 720p.
    My guess is that they are going to remake them using the GGXrd key frames as a base to rotoscope and make the sprites.
    ( •_•) IT'S NOT RAPE,
    ( •_•)>⌐■-■
    YEAAAAAAAAAAHHH!!
    ( •_•)
    ( ಠ_ಠ)
    ( ಥ_ಥ)
    Hecatom wrote: »
    From the looks, it seems that the UNI sprites are being reworked to match the BB/P4A sprites.
    I also think that from RWBY, the main cast (the 4 girls) are a given.

Probably.
    The GG sprites are just 480p, while the BB/P4A/UNIEL are 720p.
    My guess is that they are going to remake them using the GGXrd key frames as a base to rotoscope and make the sprites.

That's probably it. It's even more work trying to update AC+R's sprites than using the Xrd models as bases.

If I recall correctly, they did use 3D models (No, not Xrd style, before anyone asks) as the base for the Blazblue sprites, so this is probably the most likely conclusion.
    Yeah, like snk with kofxii and xiii, they rotoscoped the key frames frames from 3d models to do their sprites.
    ( •_•) IT'S NOT RAPE,
    ( •_•)>⌐■-■
    YEAAAAAAAAAAHHH!!
    ( •_•)
    ( ಠ_ಠ)
    ( ಥ_ಥ)
  • MylziletoMylzileto Joined: Posts: 25
    If I can get Shabrys, I'll be fine, though I'm not exactly confident she's on the short list. As far as other RWBY characters, it will assuredly not be many, if ANY. I doubt there'd be more than either the rest of the team, or just Jaune, since he's the only other main character to lead a team. I would love more, and I would especially love GG fighters (gimme sin or zappa and I will die a happy man), but neither are exactly likely. GG fighters are perhaps more likely, needing only new sprites rather than a whole new moveset from the ground up, but the only way I see more than one or two RWBY fighters getting in is by being clones or partial clones. What I'm really hoping for is a story mode, especially one that teams up fighters from different series as a rule; I'm a sucker for that stuff. It took me mutiple playthroughs of MVCI's demo to get over the hype of X wielding Cap's shield and start looling at it critically.
  • CronopioCronopio ST Joined: Posts: 2,143
    Contrary to popular belief tracing over models is more, not less time consuming. It just gives you more accuracy in proportions, perspective and keeping sizes constant. But you also have to take more time by perfectly following your reference instead of just drawing a frame without having to perfectly match a model.

KOF XII/XIII sprites took insane amounts of time per character, more than a year IIRC, while you can have a character animated in 4-5 months using traditional methods. It makes things look nicer (BBs sprites are definitely a step up from GGs wonky sprites and animations) but doesn't really save time.
    Can ArcSys adjust the scale of the imported sprites if some don't line up with other characters in terms of proportions?
    SRK's Story Thread Crew:

• NaerasNaeras Terribad Joined: Posts: 3,427
    edited July 21
    Please let there be Persona 5-characters. I want Narukami + Joker on my team.
    Because I imagine those two would hate each others guts, even in spite of being silent protagonists. :V
    Naeras wrote: »
    Please let there be Persona 5-characters. I want Narukami + Joker on my team.
    Because I imagine those two would hate each others guts, even in spite of being silent protagonists. :V

> Narukami
    > Silent

Have you ever seen Ultimax's Story Mode?

That dude just could not shut up about bonds and "muh friends" and every time he said anything related to the plot he got endless shilling from everyone.

It was so bad that I almost wanted Sho to win.
    Interesting thought: The title is "Blazblue Cross Tag Battle", meaning the game should be BB focused (about 50% of the roster). If RWBY gets 4 characters, UNIEL and Persona should get at least 4 too. That makes for 12 BB characters and a 24 character roster MINIMUM. That's enough to fit the entire roster of Calamity Trigger. That said, I could see Hakumen and Carl being swapped out for Hazama and Relius. Additional slots would probably go to Tsubaki, Makoto, and from there it's a wild card.

I've mentioned the idea of GG characters being in before, and for that series I think the minimum needed to please as many people with as few slots would be 6, particularly for the Blazblue rivalries.
    • Sol (vs Ragna)
    • Ky (vs Jin)
    • Dizzy (vs Noel)
    • Potemkin (vs Tager)
    • I-NO (vs Hazama)
    • Slayer (vs Rachel)