Blizzard Overwatch

Comments

• BB_HoodyBB_Hoody Nice plane you have there. Be a Shame if something went wrong in flight and it crashed Joined: Posts: 4,916
    "I'm going up and killing the Bastion, keep me healed please"
    "okay"
    Proceed to fly up and almost kill the Bastion THREE TIMES, but I get killed first because I get zero heals by our Mercy sitting at the choke.
    Then people wonder why I get angry at Mercy mains...

I found Zarya to be surprisingly effective against Bastion when high charged. Just keep peeking out and lob secondary fire at him. After 2 hits they usually start healing or flee
  • FrozteyFroztey Break the Cuffs Joined: Posts: 9,430 mod
    Mercy is a lot harder to play as soon as you hit high ranks where skilled flankers hunt you.

You're a completely defenceless hero, you need god tier positioning to make Mercy work at higher SR.
    UK Based, SFV - Kolin, Juri
    YouTube
    Twitch
  • Citrus_monkeyCitrus_monkey Joined: Posts: 2,007
    Ive never played mercy so I can't say. but almost everyone seems to agree she's pretty much the easiest character to use? I mean, I find zarya relatively easy in that positioning and environmental awareness is not as difficult when you don't need really good tracking all the time like with most hitscan or projectile characters.
  • SurremiesSurremies Joined: Posts: 705
    edited August 12
    Mercy is boring and watered down compared to TF2 Medic, though it's the same thing with every single hero that has borrowed mechanics from TF2 classes. Especially Pharah and Junkrat make me sad.

Luckily there's McCree, Reaper, Hog, Zen etc.
    "Every nerf makes its own tune.."
  • BB_HoodyBB_Hoody Nice plane you have there. Be a Shame if something went wrong in flight and it crashed Joined: Posts: 4,916
    Ive never played mercy so I can't say. but almost everyone seems to agree she's pretty much the easiest character to use? I mean, I find zarya relatively easy in that positioning and environmental awareness is not as difficult when you don't need really good tracking all the time like with most hitscan or projectile characters.

Difference between Mercy and Zarya is one is a DPS/Tank hybrid that needs to be on the front lines and utilizing barriers to save teammates. While the other chills in the back lines healing and merely has to use decent positioning to have an impact on the game.
  • OceanMachineOceanMachine ROCKET LAUNCHER GOD Joined: Posts: 9,769
    edited August 12
    BB_Hoody wrote: »
    "I'm going up and killing the Bastion, keep me healed please"
    "okay"
    Proceed to fly up and almost kill the Bastion THREE TIMES, but I get killed first because I get zero heals by our Mercy sitting at the choke.
    Then people wonder why I get angry at Mercy mains...

I found Zarya to be surprisingly effective against Bastion when high charged. Just keep peeking out and lob secondary fire at him. After 2 hits they usually start healing or flee

Not when they have Orisa+Rein shields, which was the case. There were literally two things we could do: go for high damage comp to burst down shields or pocket me while I was blasting the Bastion from above the shield, and we did none of them.
    Froztey wrote: »
    Mercy is a lot harder to play as soon as you hit high ranks where skilled flankers hunt you.

You're a completely defenceless hero, you need god tier positioning to make Mercy work at higher SR.

It doesn't really matter because with her pumped up SR gains you win much more than you lose, so you can climb even with negative winrates. That's how you end up having a VERY high amount of Mercy players who were gold/plat a couple seasons ago and now they're in GM... with the game sense of a gold/plat.
    Orisa is another hero with busted SR gains, except nobody plays her.
    [SFV] Laura, Vega [3S] Alex, Ken
    [Xrd] Leo [BBCF] Bullet
    [UNIEL] Orie [T7] Claudio
    [MvCI] Cap Marvel/Thanos (Time)
  • VhoziteVhozite Booty Worshipping Hedonist Joined: Posts: 3,355
    Yall hating on my girl Mercy for the exact reasons I like her (other than her angel motiff). Little to no aim required, no cooldowns to manage, etc. I just have to pay attention to my team and surrounding.
    I'm now just playing on and off every like 3 days and only 2 or three games. Still watching people throw and trickle and not be on mic. Been stuck on the same SR for like a month now. I think with only 2 weeks left this will sadly be my final rank.....
  • XthAtGAm3RGuYXXthAtGAm3RGuYX SRK's ResidentSleeper Joined: Posts: 11,897
    edited August 12
    Mercy is a necessity to every team, but the only skill curve she has is learning where and when to hide with rez. Even for people who claim to have some prestige as "battle Mercy" don't have a lot to brag about. Her gun does a fuck ton of damage and a headshot or two lets her ice somebody in 3-4 shots.

It's not that people who play Mercy are bad, but just by the general principles of her it you can't ever be "good" with Mercy either.

Edit: I'd honestly argue that even Lucio requires more positioning attention that Mercy does. The purpose of Mercy's positioning is to avoid damage. Lucio's positioning is now actually about the healing itself since it only reaches 10m. You have to make sure the people who need heals are in range.
    Unchallenged owner of worst user name on SRK
  • DarkGeneralDarkGeneral Joined: Posts: 4,428
    edited August 12
    Re: TF2 derivatives

That's the reason I can't/don't play Junkrat. He feels like a VERY poor mans demoman without any of the feel good sticky bomb play and bouncing nades off surfaces to get kills isn't nearly as rewarding for some reason. I'm hoping giving him 2 mines plus the trap makes him a more rewarding trap based class.

I also started playing Winston and holy hell I'm having a ton of fun with him. Harassing supports and others caught out of position and then jumping the fuck out is delightful.

I'm SUPER stoked for the Orisa buffs.
    Post edited by DarkGeneral on
  • LordxMugenLordxMugen FIGHTAN GAHMS!!! Joined: Posts: 552
    edited August 12

I dont know, I find the other healers take a lot more skill then mercy, especially like ana and zen, were you actually need to have good aiming.
    the problem with characters like Ana is most of the people youre trying to heal seem to go out of their way to be make it needlessly difficult for you, which makes it less about skill and more "i wish my team was less potatoes.". I definitely agree with Zen though, i just wish i was good with the offensively minded support. but I mostly play 3s anyway.

*silently waits for Darkstalkers 4*
  • FrostyAUFrostyAU Lynx in your sinks Joined: Posts: 8,320
    I've got a feeling these Orissa buffs will lead to more death balls. Orissa plus Rein, Lucio plus Mercy and consistent damage like Soldier and maybe a Pharah/McCree flex.

Hold shields, spam fire through choke points and just methodically grind them off the point.
    Edit: I'd honestly argue that even Lucio requires more positioning attention that Mercy does. The purpose of Mercy's positioning is to avoid damage. Lucio's positioning is now actually about the healing itself since it only reaches 10m. You have to make sure the people who need heals are in range.

This is absolutely true. With Lucio you have to be in a position where you can run around between people that are getting attacked and people that are pushing, which requires to know how to wall ride to move faster and to climb to high ground. Since you have great mobility you'll also likely be the one who scouts for the enemy team and tell your team what to do.
    With Mercy... well, you just need to have people in your LoS and press shift.
    I don't care about how much skill she takes in the end, but the fact is that her kit doesn't make you develop any transferable skill or any game sense other than "don't die and hide when you need to rez", which is why Mercy mains are often so terrible even if they end up climbing.

The sad thing is that on lower elos without Mercy I'm 90% guaranteed of not getting any heals as Pharah, because 1. Zens either don't look at me or refuse to put an orb on me 2. Anas are too busy healing tanks or missing me 3. Lucios are sitting on the ground where their aura won't reach me (thanks Jeff). So I'm stuck with whatever wacky Mercy player I get.
    [Xrd] Leo [BBCF] Bullet
    The same way that pharah keep junkrat in check of ever being entirely relevant, doomfist gets equal treatment. I mean, he can't do fucking ANYTHING against her. Just on that merit alone I really don't see him being terribly successful. I feel like they took genji and reaper and attempted to find a happy middle and doomfist is what they came up with, but that he doesn't quite fullfill the role as good as either.
  • just5moreminutesjust5moreminutes Eagle will return Joined: Posts: 7,948
    Tbh a big problem with OW right now is how few heroes there are to fill essential roles for every team:
    - Ranged hitscan DPS/Pharah check: Soldier, McCree, Widowmaker, (Bastion?)
    - Main tank: Reinhardt, Winston, (maybe Orisa now?)
    - Healer: Mercy, Ana, Lucio, Zenyatta
  • itzpookiieitzpookiie Sherry Jenix's Soulmate Joined: Posts: 4,107
    Man
    What were they thinking with doomfist
    4 second cooldown
    what the fuck is this shit

• jae hoonjae hoon Flames of Justice Joined: Posts: 12,852 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    He doesn't even have the weakness Hog has of being a walking ult machine.
    SRK Kobrai Kai - Kickin bitches in the face since 2001
    edited August 13
    He has the weakness that Hog doesn't have of being a kamikaze. He has one of the lowest KDRs in the game, beaten only by Rein and supports. Which makes sense when you consider his kit.
    [Xrd] Leo [BBCF] Bullet
  • eviljevilj Joined: Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    I don't like doomfist.

This is what I felt when they introduced Guile and Balrog to SFV , way before season 2 began. I was head of the curve and quit way back then.
    Green Karin.
    And as a DPS with the lowest KD, I guarantee they'll buff him at some point. The ride never ends.
  • LivewireXLivewireX Joined: Posts: 5,859
    They can buff him all they want, but chances are Pharah is still going to fuck him up.
    Today is a sad day because I uninstalled battle.net

Really can't deal with the stupidity and toxicity of solo queue. The game is simply not fun in the slightest anymore. It's like work.
  • Amazing FunbagsAmazing Funbags The J-Cup Lover Joined: Posts: 17,874
    edited August 14
    LivewireX wrote: »
    They can buff him all they want, but chances are Pharah, Junkrat, Mei, and Sombra are still going to fuck him up.

FTFY

Orisa+Torb and/or Mercy is some cheesy shit. Having a character crisis with tanks cause I like using them all except Rein and Hog.
    Boobologist Ph.D
    As much as I've enjoyed getting hate mail from the opposing team, half of it anymore is from stupid fuck dps players on MY team. Yesterday I got so tired of it I had to change PSN settings so only friends can send me messages. Rip in pepperoni, hate mail.
    edited August 14
    I barely made it back to plat and I'm already annoyed at the idea of losing half of my progress in a couple weeks when the season is over. This game really feels like a Sisyphean task.
    At least I got the Sombra skin.
    [Xrd] Leo [BBCF] Bullet
  • FrostyAUFrostyAU Lynx in your sinks Joined: Posts: 8,320
    As much as I've enjoyed getting hate mail from the opposing team, half of it anymore is from stupid fuck dps players on MY team. Yesterday I got so tired of it I had to change PSN settings so only friends can send me messages. Rip in pepperoni, hate mail.

I hate that man. It's like you're playing Support but if it's Lucio when they want a Mercy or an Ana... Like sorry, I'm not a Mercy main. Same as if someone takes Rein and I'm second tank. I'm awful at Zarya and Hog(r.i.p), so it's not going to be one of them.
  • just5moreminutesjust5moreminutes Eagle will return Joined: Posts: 7,948
    Irony being that Lucio/Zen are better healer buddies for DPS because of the utility, major healing is only critical for tanks
  • LivewireXLivewireX Joined: Posts: 5,859
    Yeah, exactly. The Mercy/Ana type healing is better suited to back up a D.Va/Zarya/Orisa that's trying to hold the point because YOUR DAMN DPS TEAMMATES DON'T KNOW HOW TO STAY BY THE DAMN THING.

But even if it wasn't, I'd probably still prefer Lucio more just because of my thought that healing everyone at once in a firefight when you're trying to hold things down is better than just focusing and trying to switch targets while people die because they're not getting healed.
  • eviljevilj Joined: Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    anybody watch the world cup qualifiers yesterday?
    Green Karin.
  • highluluhighlulu Joined: Posts: 3,836

the annoying thing about playing mercy at higher levels is that not only do you need really good positioning to stay alive as mercy, but you need at least a couple members of your team to understand her positioning so that they are giving you locations to fly to when those flankers come to ruin your day
    Umvc3 - (Nova/Frank/Dante) (Nova/Spencer/Strange) (Zero/Doom/Vergil)
    SF4 - Cammy, Ken
  • PterodactylPterodactyl The time has come and so have I Joined: Posts: 7,207
    I'm actually really enjoying DF, took a while to get used to his kit but he's super fun.

Really needs a team that can deal with Pharah though because she really fucks him up.
    spread'em
    Some pretty important info regarding how ridiculous the doomfist charge is. This shit connects from downtown and through entire objects

• CHIEfyCHIEfy Joined: Posts: 1,125
    What's the best time to play comp and minimize the kids and drunks?
    "Competitive Smash is all about no items and Final Destination."
    - Masahiro Sakurai
  • FrozteyFroztey Break the Cuffs Joined: Posts: 9,430 mod
    LordxMugen wrote: »

I dont know, I find the other healers take a lot more skill then mercy, especially like ana and zen, were you actually need to have good aiming.
    the problem with characters like Ana is most of the people youre trying to heal seem to go out of their way to be make it needlessly difficult for you, which makes it less about skill and more "i wish my team was less potatoes.". I definitely agree with Zen though, i just wish i was good with the offensively minded support. but I mostly play 3s anyway.

Wasn't comparing, Mercy is easy to play until the enemy team is good enough to know to hunt you in a TF.

At that point, bad Mercy players are incredibly easy to spot. Her skillcap only increases with the enemy teams skill level. Survival is her skill niche, otherwise you aren't allowed to play and will throw the game for your team.

Mercy also requires cooperation from teammates in regards to flight targets and focus fire of flankers like Genji and Tracer.
    UK Based, SFV - Kolin, Juri
    YouTube
    Twitch
  • Jack_FrostJack_Frost M.C Joined: Posts: 6,678
    Ran into my 2nd booster today. What annoys me more is other people on my team being so dumb to not notice. If someone has 55 hours on mercy, then all of a sudden decided to use widow/mcree the past hour(never playing them before)... Win 7 games 0 losses..and have crazy accuracy..THATS A FUCKING BOOSTER

I even called him out to not use a character that wouldn't benefit from aimbotting and he didn't respond
    There aren't 50 hours in a 5 day span...
    CRYING
  • Jack_FrostJack_Frost M.C Joined: Posts: 6,678
    CHIEfy wrote: »
    What's the best time to play comp and minimize the kids and drunks?

Noon to 7pm. Not during the summer
    There aren't 50 hours in a 5 day span...
    CRYING