The Street Fighter 5 General: The Wisest Thoth

Comments

• QuarkQuark Joined: Posts: 4,062
    mowr wrote: »
    but it's the degree of negativity around the N word that makes it so attractive, it's such a powerful tool and its power comes exactly from the people so outraged by its use. It's like the One Ring. The internet doesn't explode in quite the same way for probably anything else, and as much as it's been said before, the only way that's going to go away is if you take the power out of the word, otherwise people are going to keep reaching for that One Ring.

in the 1700s nobody got outraged about the N word. that sure as hell didn't stop it's widespread usage.
    "Please understand, I never had a secret chart
    To get me to the heart of this or any other matter"
  • Trife88Trife88 Imperius Tri Joined: Posts: 7,435
    Evil Canadian browsing the last few pages
    fi3Kj1P.jpg
    Street Fighter V is the best game of our generation.
  • KeckaKecka Psycho Crushing that booty Joined: Posts: 1,664
    Don't you guys think it's really weird that there's a two syllable noise that you can make with your vocal chords that makes you a bad person regardless of context?

It's like, no, you are not allowed to move your own vocal chords in that way. Stop moving your own vocal chords in that way. I have the right to demand that of you and to KNOW that you're the bad guy in this situation, I am in the moral right to impose that on you.

I get context. There's a reason why someone doesn't talk shit to their boss because they don't want to get fired. But your grievance being simply that I made a sound with my own body and that I should not be allowed to make that sound, ever, that I don't get.

You're a retard
    why you mad? They're just pixels displaying on your screen, they don't really convey anything

Nah b. You've added context/intent to what you're saying by directing it at me. If I call you a rude word, that's one thing. But If I just say the rude word out loud, scream it into the abyss, with no direction or intent or context or anything, that's something else, but to many people they think that there's such thing as a word that makes you a bad person if you just say it.

Are you saying that you've been called racist for screaming the N-word alone as an expression to frustration like "shit" or "fuck"? I've never seen anyone use the word like that - and even in that case, the negative connotation of the word is very clear since you're using it like a swearword.

You've never seen anyone say that there's no excuse to ever use the word, ever? I've never come across it in my personal life because I never actually use it, since even though I don't believe it's use should get me blasted, I know that it will, but I've seen plenty of incidental opinions.

That's a totally different question. You were saying that uttering the word doesn't mean a racial slur in itself. I was pointing out that no matter the context the word IS a racial slur. If you use the N-word to define a person with a specific skin color when you know you can call them "black", you are using a slur. If you use it as a substitute for "idiot" to insult someone you don't even know the skin color of, you're using a slur. If you use it as a substitute for "shit" to express frustration, you're using a slur. And if you use it with friends as a joke, you're still using a slur.

Unless you're a kid that only knows that word, a latinist or a 19th century writer that still uses it to refer pseudo-scientifically to black people, that word in any modern language will always have a negative connotation. You can sorta neutralize the connotation through context, like by making clear with your conversation partners that you're not using the word in the conventional sense... but that won't change the conventional meaning of the word, as it is directly implied.

The issue of Pewdiepie is completely different too. As a public entertainer and a public persona, he definitely has more responsibility in what he says than me and you talking with our friends in a bar where nobody else hears. If someone with millions of fans uses racial slurs you'll have millions of people who will feel at ease using that word just because their favorite entertainer did it. And not everyone will retain the comedy aspect of the word - since not everyone is a comedian.

Isn't that the same exact reason Chris Rock stopped doing his nigga bit and Dave Chappelle stopped doing his show at all? Because in context, they made pretty goddamn hilarious jokes, but people started taking it as a cue that it was okay going around saying those kinds of things casually because "they're just saying what we're all thinking", missing the entire point that it's only funny because it's not actually serious. And that's the issue even if you're making jokes. If you make a joke enough times, a lot of dense motherfuckers are going to use that as an excuse to be assholes. Not saying you can't make "offensive" jokes, as someone with friends in stand-up comedy I firmly believe you should be able to make jokes about everything. But let's remember that we as a species somehow managed to meme an entire racist subculture into being by shitposting ironically until it was no longer ironic and being a bigoted piece of human garbage was fine as long as you posted a picture of a frog. Because "making SJWs butthurt" is an extremely good way to elect your leaders.

Aaaaaanyway... How about them fightan gaems?
    I suck dicks at fighting games.

I also suck dicks. I don't think these two facts are related.
  • Hero_PandaHero_Panda Joined: Posts: 462
    edited September 13
    Real screenshot @KingCrimson
    TBH, was never a fan of that alt. Much prefer her winter gear get-up.
  • GetTheTablesGetTheTables Joined: Posts: 191
    Kecka wrote: »

They're pretty okay. I like the one where the guy does the uppercut and that one chick has nice boobs.

CFN: GetTheTables

They're pretty okay. I like the one where the guy does the uppercut and that one chick has nice boobs.

I like the one where the karate bear fights the Russian robot girl.

• Deimos002Deimos002 I tech'd that Joined: Posts: 122
    A10metal wrote: »

Aren't those part of a mod someone's making?

Yeah I know, I was being a sarcastic prick.
  • Trife88Trife88 Imperius Tri Joined: Posts: 7,435
    I should not have brought up Ingrid, now the thread is in awkward silence mode. I apologize. Someone post butt.
    Street Fighter V is the best game of our generation.
  • FrozteyFroztey Break the Cuffs Joined: Posts: 9,026 mod
    Hero_Panda wrote: »
    TWINBLADES
    uD9kyXy.jpg

:bee:

Is that a real screenshot? If so, her face really is brucked, lol, @itzpookiie was right all along. She looks like the sniper from Saving Private Ryan:
    572dddd861bad373b5d18808fa03e332.jpg

Good on them for making her face distinct and European.

It does look a bit shafted sometimes though, I use the story alt so it's not really a problem for me
    SFV - I drop everyone after a week
    Sometimes I upload stuff - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtQESJOpYAW3RQ_ag9q9T_g
  • TrenchCoatJonesTrenchCoatJones Joined: Posts: 336
    It's still dumb that Capcom hasn't patched that already
    XBL Ooklathemok3
    PSN Girthedestroyer
    SFV ID Ozzy_Booty
  • DevilJin 01DevilJin 01 Get some shill in yo system Joined: Posts: 56,126 mod
    I think some other non Capcom game does the same thing as well. The concept is really silly, but it's a step up at least for tournaments for the player that lost to get the control at least.

Ain't nothin, Capcom's ruthless still producin.  Cut em a check or find yoself toothless.  Keep it shill with no confusin.  Niggas say I'm shill...they ain't hard I can prove it YEEEAH

You know, I'm still a Capcuck shill who thinks this is a good game, especially compared to IV.

But I will admit that I sometimes feel like I understand people who hate it all too well. Extra V-systems and everything is fine, but why the fuck are jumps not fixed? AA jabs were fixed. The netcode was fixed. Like, I know I suck and let people get away with too much shit, but I literally earned that 10 AA mission in one two round game. With Bison. So I hit this guy out of the air 10 times over two rounds with a character that doesn't have AA lights. And still got smoked. Shouldn't he be dead if I made five fucking correct punishes per round?

Jump-ins can stay the way they are. Just fix AAs. Damage, stun, priority, I need some reward for accurately spacing and timing a crouching fierce.

• ReticentlyReticently Joined: Posts: 3,833
    edited September 13
    Yeah, it is kind of fucked up that you are often safer in the air where you cannot block than you are on the ground where you can.
    Post edited by Reticently on
  • TrenchCoatJonesTrenchCoatJones Joined: Posts: 336
    IDK I'm probably just salty, but I don't like the fact that jabs can beat Cammys dive kick.
    XBL Ooklathemok3
    PSN Girthedestroyer
    SFV ID Ozzy_Booty
  • appomoappomo uupps Joined: Posts: 4,065
    edited September 13

The netcode was fixed

really....how can they fix something which they did not touched once.
    I've been trying to think of some genuine issues rather than just annoyances that affect parts of the game people generally say are kind of busted. I think the priority system the game has in place is a big cause of player frustration.

CC buttons being tied to fierce/roundhouse buttons with the inability to jab/short counter-poke them makes for neutral consisting of very powerful heavy attacks that aren't smart to try to counter-poke due to them leading into a knockdown, extended damage, or mass corner carry dependent upon character. Some get all three.

Just take someone who I believe relies on their CC buttons incredibly-so. Necalli. Necalli's st.hk is a pretty good button, you wouldn't dare try to counter-poke it or Necalli builds V-Meter which is important for him, and he gets a knockdown from it. Remove the priority system and suddenly you can start to stuff the button with buffers in the neutral, but in doing so you fuck up half the casts frame traps that go mid-mid to stuff jabs, and you make jabs and shorts into buffers the god tools in neutral.

I still think SFV's neutral is impeded by the inclusion of CCs. They aren't an easy fix, and make throw-and-forget an applicable playstyle even at higher levels.
    Sometimes I upload stuff - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtQESJOpYAW3RQ_ag9q9T_g
    septic wrote: »
    Never thought this day would come but me and Necalli are parting ways..

We had a good run. Played three matches... won one. All whilst having zero fun.

This has my official stamp of approval. Godlike drop of the character, you're almost on my level young student.
    edited September 13
    So based on what's been heard, Marvel will have:
    - improved version of the SFV netcode
    - improved post-match functionality and options

Ummm, why the hell can't these be in SFV already before Marvel comes out?
    I remember yesterday K-Brad on Jwong's stream talking about Street Fighter players playing Marvel and then dropping the game because it's too BS for them.
    "When you see that the guy keeps restanding you and putting you into constant left/right/low/high mixups... crush counter doesn't look so bad anymore"

This is why everyone should play Marvel. With the craziness that happens in the game, it will make everything else so much simpler in context.
    edited September 13
    double post
    Froztey wrote: »
    I've been trying to think of some genuine issues rather than just annoyances that affect parts of the game people generally say are kind of busted. I think the priority system the game has in place is a big cause of player frustration.

CC buttons being tied to fierce/roundhouse buttons with the inability to jab/short counter-poke them makes for neutral consisting of very powerful heavy attacks that aren't smart to try to counter-poke due to them leading into a knockdown, extended damage, or mass corner carry dependent upon character. Some get all three.

Just take someone who I believe relies on their CC buttons incredibly-so. Necalli. Necalli's st.hk is a pretty good button, you wouldn't dare try to counter-poke it or Necalli builds V-Meter which is important for him, and he gets a knockdown from it. Remove the priority system and suddenly you can start to stuff the button with buffers in the neutral, but in doing so you fuck up half the casts frame traps that go mid-mid to stuff jabs, and you make jabs and shorts into buffers the god tools in neutral.

I still think SFV's neutral is impeded by the inclusion of CCs. They aren't an easy fix, and make throw-and-forget an applicable playstyle even at higher levels.

I think the idea was to have a stark contrast to SFIV's jabbity-jab-jab flow. Maybe they just should've stuck with the heavier buttons have priority over lighter ones thing they already had. I like the idea of the CC because in theory it punishes people for just randomly pressing shit, but it does sometimes cause this weird thing where you have people whiffing heavies in neutral over and over, which ironically is more or less just randomly pressing shit. I think it fits in the general modern Capcom design philosophy of taking a good idea and doing it in excess. You don't tone down top tiers, you take a blowtorch to their nutsacks. You don't simply make heavies more rewarding, you up their priority AND have counter-hits lead to 300 damage combos AND extra V-gauge. You don't tone back zoning a little, you give more or less the entire cast projectile invincible rushdown tools. You don't tweak invincible meterless reversals to make them less of a momentum swing, you take them out entirely.

• appomoappomo uupps Joined: Posts: 4,065
    edited September 13

Pretty sure they touched NOPE! , including that one big CFN patch NOPE! they did with the Ed beta. Then again, I've been full of shit before. I know for a fact the matchmaking has been fixed, though. So, you know, I get to be a huge shitbag and move my goalpost like the coward I am.

watching.gif
  • itzpookiieitzpookiie Sherry Jenix's Soulmate Joined: Posts: 3,957
    edited September 13
    Froztey wrote: »

I think it's more a frame data issue
    Strong characters have a bundle of strong +on block buttons that some are also CC while others get only a few
    Dash up CC's
    Making buttons more - , less +, or slightly punishable on those buttons would make the neutral less stressful
    Set vtriggers that put opponents in a long sequence of guesses and still not give the receiver a good turn if they guess right makes the game feel real shitty too
    If I guess right and block something that could've caused me massive damage, you should definitely lose your turn

Why did I just block 4 vtrigger rush punches and still have to be scared of my turn
    Oh yea because you're vtrigger kept you in range of your better buttons and I'm outside of mine
    Oh yea you still have 80% of your vtrigger left

Man fuck this game!
  • VhoziteVhozite Booty Worshipper Joined: Posts: 3,074
    That last gif is some demonic looking shit.
  • Gabri3l_WHOAGabri3l_WHOA Heat Extend ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Joined: Posts: 2,212
    Air crush counters
    Designated AA butons that lead to juggles
    Uriens cr hp > fireball > shoulder as an example
    Maybe not crush counters per se but something similar, especially on characters who rely more on slower, heavy anti airs like bison
    Vega and Alex can kinda already do it but they have other issues
    Characters like Cammy, Balrog and Gief with basically universal anti airs are excluded
    SFV: Zangief
    Xrd: Potemkin
    pensacola fgc
    cfn same as username
    Hero_Panda wrote: »
    So based on what's been heard, Marvel will have:
    - improved version of the SFV netcode
    - improved post-match functionality and options

Ummm, why the hell can't these be in SFV already before Marvel comes out?
    I remember yesterday K-Brad on Jwong's stream talking about Street Fighter players playing Marvel and then dropping the game because it's too BS for them.
    "When you see that the guy keeps restanding you and putting you into constant left/right/low/high mixups... crush counter doesn't look so bad anymore"

This is why everyone should play Marvel. With the craziness that happens in the game, it will make everything else so much simpler in context.

Marvel has always struck me as that thing kids do when they're playing pretend and just invent bullshit nonsense superpowers that beat each other on the spot. Except the FGC found a way to make it competitive.

"I have a touch of death combo that leads to a 50/50 mix-up on your next character!"
    "My assist makes me plus on block so it's still my turn to press buttons!"
    "Nuh-uh, because I have X-factor!"
    "Well, I have Hyper Viper Beams with I frames!"
    "Doesn't matter, because I have a Bionic Arm!"

• Gabri3l_WHOAGabri3l_WHOA Heat Extend ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Joined: Posts: 2,212
    Should install v triggers have a wind down animation like Sol's Dragon Instal?
    At least some of em. Would make rog a bit less retarded
    SFV: Zangief
    Xrd: Potemkin
    pensacola fgc
    cfn same as username
  • NupoChromineNupoChromine Art By: Matthew Griffin Joined: Posts: 4,463
    FANG cr.HP Crush Counter? +1
    What is like $2500 a month?
    edited September 13

"I have a touch of death combo that leads to a 50/50 mix-up on your next character!"
    "My assist makes me plus on block so it's still my turn to press buttons!"
    "Nuh-uh, because I have X-factor!"
    "Well, I have Hyper Viper Beams with I frames!"
    "Doesn't matter, because I have a Bionic Arm!"

Yup, that's pretty much everything in a nutshell.
    And that's why it's...
    xxUrnFZ.gif
  • ReticentlyReticently Joined: Posts: 3,833
    Many of the AA buttons that actually lead to situations that hurt are also saddled with 10+ frame start ups to get 2 or 3 active frames of a hit box that trades or loses half the time anyway.

Which is why it is almost better to go air to air. At least when your attempt gets stuffed you heavily reduce the damage you end up eating.