Street Fighter 30th Anniversary Collection (PS4, XB1, Switch, Steam)

Comments

• x64x64 Fuck your SRK Joined: Posts: 3,222
    Then still they shouldn't false advertise as arcade perfect. Lol.

It's going to be "arcade perfect" to 99% of the people playing it. There are always going to be diehard "original arcade equipment or nothing" people. Has there EVER been a console port of a 2D fighting game that was a suitable 1:1 conversion of its arcade counterpart? All this handwringing is funny to me.
    ST/HDR/USF2: Honda/Rog/O.Hawk | USF4: Bison | SFV: Ryu :(
    XBL: mr x64 | PSN: deadpool_zero | SFV: epistaxis64
    Fightcade/USF2: x64
  • kedawakedawa . Joined: Posts: 422 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    There probably isn't any surviving code to look at anyway.
    Japanese developers are notorious for losing/trashing source code for old games.
  • FoolinfectionFoolinfection Big fish in a little pond 4 LIFE Joined: Posts: 2,426
    x64 wrote: »
    Then still they shouldn't false advertise as arcade perfect. Lol.

It's going to be "arcade perfect" to 99% of the people playing it. There are always going to be diehard "original arcade equipment or nothing" people. Has there EVER been a console port of a 2D fighting game that was a suitable 1:1 conversion of its arcade counterpart? All this handwringing is funny to me.

If it's going to have issues that don't exist in the arcade version due to it being a simple port difference then it will be arcade perfect to much less than 99% of the people playing it. Has nothing to do with being diehard.
    Welcome to the internet. God help you if you have an opinion.

I should start keeping written letters in sealed envelopes when I go to tournaments. If i get bodied, I give them one, and when they open it up it says "fuk u"

If it's going to have issues that don't exist in the arcade version due to it being a simple port difference then it will be arcade perfect to much less than 99% of the people playing it. Has nothing to do with being diehard.

True, but we have zero proof right now that this port isn't being handled correctly outside of, what, a mock-up trailer? It's like we're ganging up on Capcom in anticipation that it's guaranteed to be a shitty port.
  • FoolinfectionFoolinfection Big fish in a little pond 4 LIFE Joined: Posts: 2,426

True, but we have zero proof right now that this port isn't being handled correctly outside of, what, a mock-up trailer? It's like we're ganging up on Capcom in anticipation that it's guaranteed to be a shitty port.

With their prior history? Yeah. Of course it's like that. Haha.

I should start keeping written letters in sealed envelopes when I go to tournaments. If i get bodied, I give them one, and when they open it up it says "fuk u"

edited December 2017

Whatever floats your boat I guess. I consider myself to be fairly knowledgable about the SF2 series. Super Turbo and its offshoots (HSF2, HDR, USF2) in particular. While I don't really care for USF2 as a whole I acknowledge that it was, from a technological standpoint, fairly perfect. The only thing I consider Capcom to have fucked up on was an incomplete changelog and only releasing it for the Switch.

Whatever floats your boat I guess. I consider myself to be fairly knowledgable about the SF2 series. Super Turbo and its offshoots (HFS2, HDR, USF2) in particular. While I don't really care for USF2 as a whole I acknowledge that it was, from a technological standpoint, fairly perfect. The only thing I consider Capcom to have fucked up on was an incomplete changelog and only releasing it for the Switch.

Yeah I would say that the sf2 series does have the best ports when it comes down to it. I can agree with that.

• HawkingbirdHawkingbird I want the throne! Joined: Posts: 27,362
    kedawa wrote: »
    There probably isn't any surviving code to look at anyway.
    Japanese developers are notorious for losing/trashing source code for old games.

If that's the case than the developer could hunt down a commercial copy of the game and reverse engineer it. This is what Blue Point games did whenever they did HD ports.
    PSN: Hawkingbird
    FC: 0834-1564-0151
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/runawayavenger
  • DevilJin 01DevilJin 01 Get some shill in yo system Joined: Posts: 59,228 mod
    It's not going to be 101 percent perfect. Might as well accept that.

Ain't nothin, Capcom's ruthless still producin.  Cut em a check or find yoself toothless.  Keep it shill with no confusin.  Niggas say I'm shill...they ain't hard I can prove it YEEEAH

• Evolution169Evolution169 Wake up DP is unbeatable Joined: Posts: 1,100
    edited December 2017
    Screw arcade perfect, I'm just hoping they are good online and don't have any glaring issues. They have to at least be as good as fightcade for me to take them seriously at all.
  • freeAMfreeAM Joined: Posts: 40
    edited December 2017

A floor from USF2? Congratulations! You have discovered an extra game of the collection!

Just joking. Or not. I wonder what did they mean by "plenty of surprises"
    edited December 2017
    I'm not even hating on ports really. I'm just saying that if it's not going to be arcade perfect (which a lot of you are saying it obviously won't be) then they need to not advertise it as such.

My main issue though. Again. Back to 3SO. Is that these ports may have issues that aren't in other versions of the game. Like how 3SO can sometimes drop EX inputs and for some reason hit confirms are harder in that port compared to the original. Which just makes me not want to play it because what was suppose to be a safe ex fireball came out as a normal fireball and cost me the round. Lol.

I'm not saying they will have those kinds of problems. Hell. I'm just cautiously optimistic about this collection. I want it to do well.

I'm just saying that if it's not going to be arcade perfect (which a lot of you are saying it obviously won't be) then they need to not advertise it as such.

What are the exact parameters for "arcade perfection"? Is it even possible? Has any arcade title truly been perfectly ported?

I'm just saying that if it's not going to be arcade perfect (which a lot of you are saying it obviously won't be) then they need to not advertise it as such.

What are the exact parameters for "arcade perfection"? Is it even possible? Has any arcade title truly been perfectly ported?

Would dreamcast\naomi titles count?

• 7 5 07 5 0 Joined: Posts: 471
    For capcom fighters, capcom generation vol.5 on Saturn jp is probably perfect.
    Maybe the Noami ports on the Dreamcast as Crazy Taxi.
    F-Zero AX on the Gamecube is likely arcade perfect.

This collection is once again outsourced to digital eclipse. The likelihood this becoming arcade perfect is nonsense.
    I agree with Foolinfection about them false advertising it.
  • IanskieIanskie Keep Watch Joined: Posts: 612
    edited December 2017
    Isn’t it quite possible that the short blip of a clip used was just footage from usf2 hastily thrown in. Or would there be other visual differences that I am not aware of? (Differently designed health bars etc.)
  • Rhio2kRhio2k Senior Member Joined: Posts: 11,573 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Seriously, who gives a shit about arcade perfect? Sf2, ce, turbo, Super Turbo, and Alpha 3 are the only sf games I actually SAW in arcades when they came out. Everything else either was a no-show in my state until I had the console version long enough to get tired of it (Sf3 New Generation, Alpha 2), or not ar all (Alpha 1, 2nd Impact, 3rd Strike).

The console ports we got of these games is pretty much all we remember at this point. Give us those if you have to, don't fuck up, and we're good. Wish they'd packed Alpha Anthologies into this...never got a chance to try that.
    Roger: Well, Anita's pregnant, and-
    Cruella: Well, what can I say? Accidents will happen.
    Roger: We're having puppies, too.
    Cruella: *Gasp* Puppies!? *Leer* My, you have been a busy boy!
  • R.P.D rookieR.P.D rookie Totally Destructed Joined: Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Just peed a little in my pants....I think it's pee. Can't wait to get back in 3S and I happen to have the Xbox 1. I'm going out on a limb and saying that's where the tougher competition will be? PS3 3S OE was okay but most of the high level players videos seemed to be from Xbox 360 side. I don't really care about "arcade perfect" but my idea of arcade perfect is actually having the original music, not the arranged songs like they did on 3S OE and no access to it. Also, access to arcade specific items like "Event mode" and whatever else you could do with the arcade.

We can split hairs on arcade perfect but even playing on literal machines, guys still complained about the stick and button feel. I'm just glad Capcom is actually giving us this.
    "Come up in that fucken cornfield!!" --Rocky L Rose
    If you want arcade perfect console ports, you pretty much need to buy a NeoGeo.
    Street Fighter Alpha Anthology was close enough to arcade for me, and that was two console generations ago.
    If they can't meet that standard, then they aren't trying.
  • PVL_93_RUPVL_93_RU RIP Mahvel 2017-2017 Joined: Posts: 11,284

I'd assume it implies that the general feel, input delay, game speed, the visuals, music/sound quality, framedata / combo possibilities are all kept exactly the same as the original arcade releases
    Fighting Game Mains:
    - USFIV - Fei Long
    - SFV - Ryu
    - UMVC3 - Akuma/Iron Fist/Ghost Rider
    - KOFXIV - Ryo/Geese/Kim
    - Xrd - Ky & Kum
    - DBFZ* - Trunks/Yamcha/Gohan
    - UNI[ST]* - Enkidu
    - Tekken 7 - Hwoarang & Kazuya
    *to be purchased
  • NaerasNaeras Terribad Joined: Posts: 3,614
    edited December 2017
    I'm not even hating on ports really. I'm just saying that if it's not going to be arcade perfect (which a lot of you are saying it obviously won't be) then they need to not advertise it as such.

My main issue though. Again. Back to 3SO. Is that these ports may have issues that aren't in other versions of the game. Like how 3SO can sometimes drop EX inputs and for some reason hit confirms are harder in that port compared to the original. Which just makes me not want to play it because what was suppose to be a safe ex fireball came out as a normal fireball and cost me the round. Lol.

I'm not saying they will have those kinds of problems. Hell. I'm just cautiously optimistic about this collection. I want it to do well.

Bolded: that one was something IG managed to reproduce in arcade 3S, and the hit confirms being harder is probably mostly related to hardware differences iirc.

I believe there are some hitbox differences in 3SO (Hugo splash), though, and I if I'm not mistaken Yun was accidentally buffed because Genei Jin scaling somehow worked differently than in arcade.
    That, and RYUS BAG FOLDED IMPROPERLY SHIT PORT 0/10 WONT BUY
  • atiradoratirador It means "shooter" and I know it's a terrible username Joined: Posts: 1,647
    PVL_93_RU wrote: »

I'd assume it implies that the general feel, input delay, game speed, the visuals, music/sound quality, framedata / combo possibilities are all kept exactly the same as the original arcade releases

Well, not always the "original arcade release", since most SF games have multiple arcade versions/revisions with minor differences and people don't want the "wrong one"

Just give me a good port with good extras and netcode and I'll be fine

People who really care about ST competitively will still use arcade boards of the japanese version for tournaments anyway, so why bother?

Like people said here, it will probably be "arcade perfect" for 99% of the audience

Naeras wrote: »

Bolded: that one was something IG managed to reproduce in arcade 3S, and the hit confirms being harder is probably mostly related to hardware differences iirc.

I believe there are some hitbox differences in 3SO (Hugo splash), though, and I if I'm not mistaken Yun was accidentally buffed because Genei Jin scaling somehow worked differently than in arcade.
    Naeras wrote: »

I own multiple versions of 3S on different hardware. And all I can say is that 3SO is the only version of game where I have problems doing EX moves. Not on ps2. Not on dreamcast. Not emulated. And definitely not on the cps3 board. That's all I can answer to that. I know what Iron Galaxy said but myself and other people still only have that problem in their port.

edited December 2017
    kedawa wrote: »
    If you want arcade perfect console ports, you pretty much need to buy a NeoGeo.

Wasn't the MVS and AVS the same hardware? Similar to Naomi being a slightly more powerful Dreamcast I'm guessing.
    atirador wrote: »
    People who really care about ST competitively will still use arcade boards of the japanese version for tournaments anyway, so why bother?

The japanese version of CPS2 ST is most prevalent because its more cheap and plentiful. There is one single gameplay difference between the US and JPN versions (the amount of stun N.Gief and O.Gief has on a command normal) that ultimately makes no difference.

PVL_93_RU wrote: »

I'd agree with this. It just seems like its virtually impossible to get it this exact (especially with 2D fighters) and anything less than perfection is met with "LOL NOT CPS2 NOT PERFECT".
  • Kalyx triaDKalyx triaD Serious Business Joined: Posts: 3,333
    Most of these games had their heyday in arcades when I was a kid/teen. Most my relationship with these games have been far inferior ports (though I got to regularly play Alpha 2 on Saturn and all the Dreamcast ports).

Unless some of y'all are much older than me (35), *somebody* is embellishing their history with the original games. It's hip to demand arcade perfection.
    XBL: Kalyx triaD

YouTube.com/Kalyx
    Most of these games had their heyday in arcades when I was a kid/teen. Most my relationship with these games have been far inferior ports (though I got to regularly play Alpha 2 on Saturn and all the Dreamcast ports).

Unless some of y'all are much older than me (35), *somebody* is embellishing their history with the original games. It's hip to demand arcade perfection.

Instead of being hip it might have more to do with expecting modern hardware be more capable of running these games more faithfully.

Sure, in fact I mentioned just that in an earlier post. I just think a few 20somethings concerned about retaining a gameplay experience they barely explored deeply is a little... pretentious.

Everybody's about to have a SF collection session, maybe cruise around the Alpha games or whatever, and that one guy's like, "Nah I'm good, clockspeed is off a frame."

"Go home, Steve."

YouTube.com/Kalyx
  • ZioSerpeZioSerpe Fueled by nostalgia Joined: Posts: 1,577
    As long as I have Zero 3 world tour and I can use a decent training mode in 3s I'm game.
    CFN - ZioSerpe
    Twitch
    SFV: Roxanne (soon)
  • TSTS pbbbbbbt... Joined: Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    edited December 2017

I'm about your age and I played a lot in arcades in my teens. I realize not everyone had an arcade within travel distance, but I was lucky to have a few (it took an hour to get to them, but it was worth it at the time).

But it's also about games you currently play. There are a fair number of people who currently play 3rd Strike or ST on Fightcade (before that GGPO) on a regular or semi-regular basis. Those people are looking at this in terms of a lateral move, from a tournament-standard version of the game. For me it isn't just about playing the version of Alpha 3 from 1998, it's about the version I played last month, and the month before that, and the month before that, etc etc.

Also, one of the best things about GGPO/Fightcade is the ability to play people from around the country and around the world. If the netcode and matchmaking in this collection are good (ie. in an ideal world), that would also apply here. So I would rather not have the Japanese arcade players find out that the version of ST in this collection is a modified version of the PSX port or something stupid, and decide not to get the game. Including netplay Hyper Fighting is already a step backwards, since CE/Dash is much more popular globally, even if it was less balanced.
    I would argue that with an emulated version so readily available, I don't see what the actual concern is. Once confirmed, that's money saved.

YouTube.com/Kalyx
  • caliagent#3caliagent#3 Caliagent Bobblehead Joined: Posts: 4,200 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    There are actually quite a few people here in their mid 30s who’ve spent a large portion of their youth competing at the arcade. Like TS, I was also lucky to live near a few arcades in the different states I’ve lived in. My problem is the demand for arcade perfection when it’s simply not a thing. Never has been and never will be. As long as there is no massive input delay, or crazy glitches, then I think we’ll be alright with something that’s close to perfect.
    Whiff your entire SOUL into c.MK in 3S.
    Footsies guide: www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbpXplP_WFE
    Wider playerbase. Also, current emulation and matchmaking aren't perfect, so the hope is for a better version of what already exists, which would be aided by a bunch of new players.

It would also, ideally, relieve people of the duty of hauling around CPS3 or ST boards around to tournaments.
  • Pablo_the_MexPablo_the_Mex Blond Kanye Status Joined: Posts: 8,345 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    This will tide us over until consoles are obsolete. With ST on steam, we could all at least agree on one version of ST (if its good) that we could all play on PC.

There are actually quite a few people here in their mid 30s who’ve spent a large portion of their youth competing at the arcade. Like TS, I was also lucky to live near a few arcades in the different states I’ve lived in. My problem is the demand for arcade perfection when it’s simply not a thing. Never has been and never will be. As long as there is no massive input delay, or crazy glitches, then I think we’ll be alright with something that’s close to perfect.

This I can agree with. That's all I myself really want. To be as close enough as possible. At least enough to where you can alternate between it and the original without feeling any major differences in the gameplay.

Mostly agree: I'm basically only concerned with a good arcade port being available and having that be the one online play is focused around.

If they want to include all the bells and whistles from Ultra SF2 and keep the fun single player content from the console A3 ports, that's great (they really should, since that's the main reason there are like 7 ports of the game and they kept re-releasing it).
    I hope there are some hidden games on there as well. Hyper Street Fighter Alpha would be a welcome addition.
  • Evolution169Evolution169 Wake up DP is unbeatable Joined: Posts: 1,100
    This will tide us over until consoles are obsolete. With ST on steam, we could all at least agree on one version of ST (if its good) that we could all play on PC.

Consoles probably won't become obsolete for a long time, but at the very least it's a version that doesn't require paying a fee to play it online. But we do already have that on PC with Fightcade, so I guess it doesn't matter that much.
  • sadboysadboy Joined: Posts: 68

Consoles probably won't become obsolete for a long time, but at the very least it's a version that doesn't require paying a fee to play it online. But we do already have that on PC with Fightcade, so I guess it doesn't matter that much.

The advantage of this over FightCade, I hope, will be it having a wider playerbase. Granted, I told my friend to hook up his FightCade if the console version falls through. lol