Street Fighter 30th Anniversary Collection (PS4, XB1, Switch, Steam)

1235»

Comments

• rcaidorcaido Dynamic Bayside Duo Joined: Posts: 8,469
    All this arcade perfect thing is kinda bullshit for tournaments...Do most of the people bitching even play the real arcade competitively anymore? I used to bring my head 2 head arcade cabs & its the same old ass 8 people coming to play ST. Dreamcast was good enough...360/PS3 was good enough...Supergun CPS2 is good enough but yet its the same old ass people coming to play & no new blood...No one cares because its old game that no one wants to really play during tournaments except for a select few.

Im excited for the online portion of this collection. HDR on the 360 blows aways GGPO/Fightcade, if they can somehow replicate that with these other games that would be awesome. Ultra SF2 was pretty awesome too except for no lobbies.

• Plaid_UnicornPlaid_Unicorn Camron should have won an Oscar for Paid in Full Joined: Posts: 10,710
    Yea capcom kind of shot themselves in the foot with this whole "arcade perfect" thing.

It won't be and the 20 people in the whole world who cares and can tell the difference will scream the loudest.

Just let that shit function well and the online not suck and I'm all for this.
    Just because I lost... doesn't mean I was defeated
    "Say it loud... I main Rog and I'm proud!!!!" - Plaid Unicorn
    "I'll be honest, I don't know why you hang out in Nintendo threads. You seem to hate everything they do." - Po Pimpus
  • UsagiJojoUsagiJojo Joined: Posts: 15
    edited December 2017
    100% sure that they won't be arcade perfect, and I'm also sure that most people won't care. I presume that they're going to be using the ROMs of these games that have been on the internet for years now, and most people under the age of 30 are more used to playing these ROMs and/or the old console versions of Street Fighter anyway.

I've even seen people begging Capcom to port Alpha 3 MAX as opposed to giving us the arcade Alpha 3, because in most people's minds having more characters and modes is more important than having some arcade-perfect port.
  • Rhio2kRhio2k Senior Member Joined: Posts: 11,552 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Most of these games had their heyday in arcades when I was a kid/teen. Most my relationship with these games have been far inferior ports (though I got to regularly play Alpha 2 on Saturn and all the Dreamcast ports).

Unless some of y'all are much older than me (35), *somebody* is embellishing their history with the original games. It's hip to demand arcade perfection.

Instead of being hip it might have more to do with expecting modern hardware be more capable of running these games more faithfully.
    Kinda fucked-up, isn't it? We have all this WAY more powerful tech now, but it still can't properly handle shit from the 90's. Despite those systems' components being available for pennies on the DIME these days, and us having more programming alternatives than you can shake an arcade stick at, we still can't even do 1:1 ports of the software and emulate the hardware functions with the far more advanced hardware we have now? Look...I don't want to say aliens were involved in the 90's arcade and console industry...but...*shrug*
    Roger: Well, Anita's pregnant, and-
    Cruella: Well, what can I say? Accidents will happen.
    Roger: We're having puppies, too.
    Cruella: *Gasp* Puppies!? *Leer* My, you have been a busy boy!
  • Rhio2kRhio2k Senior Member Joined: Posts: 11,552 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    edited December 2017
    kedawa wrote: »
    I hope there are some hidden games on there as well. Hyper Street Fighter Alpha would be a welcome addition.

I was kinda hoping (for like 20 years now) Capcom would give SF3 the same treatment. They did it with the SF2 series, Alpha series, and Darkstalkers series. Pretty much all their big hand-drawn sprite series but ONE. Seriously feels like they're just dropping the ball here.
    Roger: Well, Anita's pregnant, and-
    Cruella: Well, what can I say? Accidents will happen.
    Roger: We're having puppies, too.
    Cruella: *Gasp* Puppies!? *Leer* My, you have been a busy boy!
  • DevilJin 01DevilJin 01 Get some shill in yo system Joined: Posts: 58,807 mod
    edited December 2017
    UsagiJojo wrote: »
    100% sure that they won't be arcade perfect, and I'm also sure that most people won't care. I presume that they're going to be using the ROMs of these games that have been on the internet for years now, and most people under the age of 30 are more used to playing these ROMs and/or the old console versions of Street Fighter anyway.

I've even seen people begging Capcom to port Alpha 3 MAX as opposed to giving us the arcade Alpha 3, because in most people's minds having more characters and modes is more important than having some arcade-perfect port.

Most casual Alpha fans remember the upgrades better than the arcade version. The arcade version only seems better for tournament players as that lets you do more things with V ISM and is what people played at the arcades. Upper MAX has pretty much every character from the SF2 and Alpha series so just objectively on a casual standpoint, they're going to want that version. The console version had a lot of offline fluff like the dramatic battles and world tour mode as well

It's good to see that they at least care for what competitive players want to some degree. Otherwise we'd be getting the Dreamcast port of A3 and they would call it a night. If it's a pretty good port of arcade Alpha 3, people are going to be dropping matches all of the time. I can see all of the lobbies asking people to only play X or A/Z ism LOL.

Ain't nothin, Capcom's ruthless still producin.  Cut em a check or find yoself toothless.  Keep it shill with no confusin.  Niggas say I'm shill...they ain't hard I can prove it YEEEAH

• GoldenShadesGoldenShades Awright! Joined: Posts: 3
    This is great news. Although I don't expect there to be any crossplay at least the game will bring a good chunk of people to play online.
    I'd imagine Akuma is not going to be selectable in ranked matches for Super Turbo, like how they made Gill unavailable in 3SOE.
    ST: Deejay/Claw/Sagat (both)
    3S: Elena/Necro/Urien
    SFA1/2/3: Rose ♥
  • IanskieIanskie Keep Watch Joined: Posts: 611
    I hope they don’t let you ban certain characters from your lobbies like in 3SOE. Hosts come up with the dumbest combinations.
  • PVL_93_RUPVL_93_RU When's Dragon Ball? Joined: Posts: 11,180
    Rhio2k wrote: »
    I hope there are some hidden games on there as well. Hyper Street Fighter Alpha would be a welcome addition.

I was kinda hoping (for like 20 years now) Capcom would give SF3 the same treatment. They did it with the SF2 series, Alpha series, and Darkstalkers series. Pretty much all their big hand-drawn sprite series but ONE. Seriously feels like they're just dropping the ball here.

Capcom is still bitter about 3S.

It put their single biggest property in the coffin for nearly a decade

The game saw TWO rereleases since the original - once as a part of the Anniversary Collection in 2004, second time as 3SOE in 2011, 7 years after SFAC. And now is seeing a third rerelease another 7 years later.

They're treating this game the worst way possible, like some sort of a stepchild, and only ride off the nostalgia of its characters
    SRK's Story Thread Crew:
    • bakfromon, Miðgarðsorm, & Lord Vega - Translations and Lore info
    • just5moreminutes - Story Mode v2.0
    • Doctrine Dark - Character Bios and Endings
    • Shockdingo - The paragraph writer
    • YagamiFire & Darc Requiem - The thread MVPs
    • Cestus - the Dolls endorser
    • The Shakunetsu - The character concept machine
    • Caio_Lins - The CFN profile cropper
    • Daemos - The thread dictator, also a Bison fanboy
    • DarthEnder - The bullshit caller

Also starring (but not limited to):
    Mykka, Scotia, Hawkingbird, TrueBackLash, Chun-Li_Forever, Kecka, ruthless_nash, mikros, ...
    Ianskie wrote: »
    I hope they don’t let you ban certain characters from your lobbies like in 3SOE. Hosts come up with the dumbest combinations.
    I hope not too, otherwise Blanka will be banned in every possible game due to people's still-lingering PTSD from SF4.
  • Evolution169Evolution169 Wake up DP is unbeatable Joined: Posts: 1,098
    PVL_93_RU wrote: »

Capcom is still bitter about 3S.

It put their single biggest property in the coffin for nearly a decade

The game saw TWO rereleases since the original - once as a part of the Anniversary Collection in 2004, second time as 3SOE in 2011, 7 years after SFAC. And now is seeing a third rerelease another 7 years later.

They're treating this game the worst way possible, like some sort of a stepchild, and only ride off the nostalgia of its characters
    I think you're reading way too much into it. 3S has had a console release for every generation since the DC and is about to get another one. I doubt the heads of Capcom harbor some resentment for one of their products because it didn't do well in the arcades 20 years ago.
  • rogueyoshirogueyoshi Nothing Comes Easy Joined: Posts: 1,931

this feature is actually useful for practicing matchups.
    nignagnog: minority report
    nignagnog: you got punished for your future crimes
    BossG: anybody that's black already suffers under pre-crime laws
  • TSTS pbbbbbbt... Joined: Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Apropos of nothing- it would be nice if there were some sort of built-in pingtest for these games. There are a lot of people who play these games over wifi connections, especially on console (I'm looking at you, PSN SF5 players. Stop it). Would be nice if during the setup/option section players could see their network connection status and get info about it (you're playing over wifi which is sub-optimal because XYZ; your upload speed is whack, are you uploading/streaming something; your upload speed is good but there's jitter so it's unstable etc).

Most people think that just because they have a fast download speed that they're good to go, which isn't necessarily true.
  • KhentimentiuKhentimentiu Scrub-tacular Joined: Posts: 422
    Is anyone actually going to play this online over just using fightcade that already has established communities?
  • AsteriskBlueAsteriskBlue Joined: Posts: 773
    If the alpha 3 port is decent, I'll try to learn how to play it.
    It's nice to meet you, too.
  • x64x64 Fuck your SRK Joined: Posts: 3,222
    edited December 2017
    Is anyone actually going to play this online over just using fightcade that already has established communities?

ST was on GGPO before HDR came out and that community had about 5 years of good play before thinning out. If we get cross-play between PC and PS4 like SFV (unlikely, but would be most excellent if it happened) that widens the playerbase significantly. That and Hyper Fighting is nearly unplayable on Fightcade, so a lot of CPS1 fans will be jumping on this.
    ST/HDR/USF2: Honda/Rog/O.Hawk | USF4: Bison | SFV: Ryu :(
    XBL: mr x64 | PSN: deadpool_zero | SFV: epistaxis64
    Fightcade/USF2: x64
    Yes, especially since there are a lot of people who either don't know about Fightcade or don't care about it.
  • Monkey66Monkey66 Joined: Posts: 1,476
    It’s gonna be a bit weird seeing how amazing SF2 The Final Challengers looks like on Switch, but realizing that it’ll go right back to normal when SF2 is in SF30th Edition
  • HawkingbirdHawkingbird I am thou...thou art I Joined: Posts: 27,124

This collection will be more convenient and won't run on an emulator that hasn't been updated in years. Being on console and steam the communities can potentially be bigger.
    PSN: Hawkingbird
    FC: 0834-1564-0151
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/runawayavenger
  • Spirited_AwaySpirited_Away Joined: Posts: 521 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Most of these games had their heyday in arcades when I was a kid/teen. Most my relationship with these games have been far inferior ports (though I got to regularly play Alpha 2 on Saturn and all the Dreamcast ports).

Unless some of y'all are much older than me (35), *somebody* is embellishing their history with the original games. It's hip to demand arcade perfection.

Instead of being hip it might have more to do with expecting modern hardware be more capable of running these games more faithfully.
    Kinda fucked-up, isn't it? We have all this WAY more powerful tech now, but it still can't properly handle shit from the 90's. Despite those systems' components being available for pennies on the DIME these days, and us having more programming alternatives than you can shake an arcade stick at, we still can't even do 1:1 ports of the software and emulate the hardware functions with the far more advanced hardware we have now? Look...I don't want to say aliens were involved in the 90's arcade and console industry...but...*shrug*

Not really aliens but coders in those days did almost everything from scratch (custom functions in code/libraries/HW address hacks) and some of them even went to the extreme to create some in-house dev engine. Reverse engineering that is time consuming and is costly you either go Emulation or find the least troublesome code for our case for example DC ST which is mostly based off WinCE compatible code or PS2 code which does have modern tools to help port the code to other devices.

• d3vd3v Coughing DAT PINK SPIT Joined: Posts: 37,273 mod

Not really aliens but coders in those days did almost everything from scratch (custom functions in code/libraries/HW address hacks) and some of them even went to the extreme to create some in-house dev engine. Reverse engineering that is time consuming and is costly you either go Emulation or find the least troublesome code for our case for example DC ST which is mostly based off WinCE compatible code or PS2 code which does have modern tools to help port the code to other devices.

To add to this, code, especially with how it was done in those days (less reliance on APIs, more direct to metal stuff) is very sensitive and any miniscule changes can create huge differences. From what we do know about how Capcom used to code their games, this was very much the case. For example, Backbone confirmed that MvC2 was running on the same base code as ST, but with all sorts of extra things added on with "string and glue".

Also, most arcade emulation efforts are focused on emulating a whole slew of games and systems (pretty easy when almost everything was running on a 68000 chip). The problem is that the same people doing this are less concerned with whether or not the CPS-2 or CPS-3 are running at slightly wrong clockspeeds than they are with getting a wide swath of arcade games to run.
  • SpoonmanSpoonman Joined: Posts: 397
    I hope they add some filtering options to this collection, I really disliked the pixelated-blocky look on USF2 (when selecting Classic Style graphics). That may look good on old CRTs but not on my HD TV, not even on Switch's 720P screen itself.
    "For me, it was Tuesday"- M. Bison
  • Evolution169Evolution169 Wake up DP is unbeatable Joined: Posts: 1,098

If it's better online, then those established communities might just make the switch. The only thing holding them back could be the more appealing social setup of fightcade, but Discord is a pretty good substitute these days.
    This collection will be more convenient and won't run on an emulator that hasn't been updated in years. Being on console and steam the communities can potentially be bigger.

for what it's worth, Fightcade 2 is currently in beta and uses an updated version of FBA.
  • supersonicstepsupersonicstep FGC Arcadia Creator Joined: Posts: 7
    3rd strike on switch bois
    Play MvC2, CvS2, GGXXAC, PJRS2, T5DR, and more classics on PC at!
    FGC ARCADIA!fgcarcadia.byethost14.com
    www.fgcarcadia.byethost14.com
    Here you can Fight others online ina community of Fighters that, together we can build a bigger PC Community
  • SkullboySkullboy It's A Secret To Everybody. Joined: Posts: 12,576
    More like 3rd Strike on PS4. Finally.

You can play it through PS Now, sure, but ain't nobody dealing with all that input lag. Especially in a fighter.
    "Every moment gives us a chance to become more than what we are."

Tumblr (NSFW)
    3rd strike on switch bois
    But with this online service that will require a separate smartphone app to create lobbies apparently. :|

On the other hand, I've seen Switch players tell me that they only play these games single-player anyway, plus it'd be easier to bring to parties and gatherings than a PS4 or whatever. So I guess it evens out.
  • nilcamnilcam New Student Joined: Posts: 465
    The Switch app is strictly for communication with people on your friends list. If Capcom adds in lobbies, you'll be able to set it up as Capcom formats it. In Ultra SFII, there are no lobbies but you can create a room and wait for challengers.
  • x64x64 Fuck your SRK Joined: Posts: 3,222
    nilcam wrote: »
    The Switch app is strictly for communication with people on your friends list. If Capcom adds in lobbies, you'll be able to set it up as Capcom formats it. In Ultra SFII, there are no lobbies but you can create a room and wait for challengers.

That still blows my mind that USF2 didn't have lobbies. Didn't Capcom pretty much invent the "quarter match lobby"?
    ST/HDR/USF2: Honda/Rog/O.Hawk | USF4: Bison | SFV: Ryu :(
    XBL: mr x64 | PSN: deadpool_zero | SFV: epistaxis64
    Fightcade/USF2: x64
  • TRiCKy BAsTuDTRiCKy BAsTuD Joined: Posts: 3
    People say to those that haven’t bought usf2 yet not to bother. But I got it for Xmas. I’m old skool and so I like it. But discovered a bit of a sour taste for people’s choice on ranked characters. V.ken no explanation needed. But seriously do people that rank up highly using him actually rate them self at this game? Without the shadow step crossover and op DP then they are average at best.
    And then there’s akuma. I’m not so mad at him cos he’s still an OG. But what I hate is that they get an attacking player and play defensive for the win with air fireballs from distance followed with standing fireball. And because he falls faster than he did in HD remix, by the time you dealt with the second fireball the air one is coming and your hit trying to get close. One you Close in. They Jump back and repeat. You see when you do get close a lot of these players seem to panick and then warp back away from you.

I know the rank don’t really mean anything to some but there’s some up the board who don’t really belong there. My main losses is only ever to a v.ken or akuma. I’d be on 4000 points by now put me in the top 60 overall. But instead sit 235. Mostly from t.hawk who is not even my top 6 choice. And shotos even ran from him
  • Kalyx triaDKalyx triaD Serious Business Joined: Posts: 3,276
    edited January 4
    Welcome to SRK.

Things will make sense in time.
    XBL: Kalyx triaD

YouTube.com/Kalyx
  • hair_bun_warriorhair_bun_warrior Joined: Posts: 5
    I'm excited for this release, I miss playing some Third Strike online!
  • Data BeastData Beast Joined: Posts: 592

I haven't touched a Street Fighter game in years, but I'll be coming back when this game is released on Steam.
1235»