[SR$2k Dev Thread] I'll set up an SRK successor board if you guys need one.

12346

Comments

  • CyntalanCyntalan The Metamoderator™ Is Here Joined: Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Call it fighters.net


    :coffee:
    ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ PRAISE HELIX ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

    "NO! NOT LIKE THIS!" - Random audience member, Evo 2k9 SC4 finals. Go Hilde!
    "You are a weird, adorable little man, OZ." - Vynce
    "I violated marc but we definitely cool now." - dre37k
  • odinodin holy bybel Joined: Posts: 15,998 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    odin wrote: »
    @bchan009 @Jasen Hicks

    Whatever website we migrate to, lets ensure we have a SSL certificate so our account information is SAFE.

    Let’s Encrypt (https://letsencrypt.org/) is a is a non-profit Certificate Authority sponsored by many big named companies such as: Google, Mozilla, and Facebook. Their mission is to create a more secure and privacy-respecting Web by letting people and organizations around the world obtain, renew, and manage FREE SSL/TLS certificates. This means websites can enable secure (encrypted) HTTPS connections.

    However not all web hosts allow Let's Encrypt support because SSL certificates sales generate a lot of revenue for web hosts.
    List of supported web hosts: https://community.letsencrypt.org/t/web-hosting-who-support-lets-encrypt/6920

    A2Hosting (https://www.a2hosting.com/) is a good and fast (well known + good reviews) web host that offers Let's Encrypt support. However with the amount of traffic SRK gets, dedicated hosting may be needed. VPS should be the bare minimum however. More research should be done though.

    A2 Hosting also supports vanillaforums with plenty of documentation, so doing a MySQL dump of SRK's databases shouldn't be too much of a hassle. Yes it will be work to ensure a smooth transition, but it IS POSSIBLE without too much time.

    nerd.gif
    I try to ensure my fellow SRK'ers account information stays safe and get called a nerd for my trouble. Meanwhile my man @Richter out here powering up to super sayain 5 irl and gets off scot-free.
    Richter wrote: »
    omaewamoushindeiru.com

    hahaha I was just ribbing ya man, it's all good. We are all nerds here.
  • BaronOBaronO Baka Mitai Joined: Posts: 503
    edited January 11
    Pertho wrote: »
    make new board name corny: downrightfierce.com

    DRF represent. :rofl:

    Edit: Not gonna lie now, DownRightFierce sounds kinda dope.

    If you want to do something similar to the SRK logo where there are arrows in the letters showing the shoryuken command DRF actually works for the hadoken command.

    But shin shoryuken also cool.
    PSN - TheBarrenO; CFN - BaronO
  • bchan009bchan009 Joined: Posts: 846
    edited January 12
    Hehe I'm liking all the name suggestions.

    Anyway, some progress:

    User CP is 100% done. Thread view is almost done too -- once I finish this the forum is actually usable. I'll start working on the fancier stuff next (more aesthetic improvements, user styles, etc.)

    I'm going to need some beta testers soon!

    Post edited by bchan009 on
  • StockyJamStockyJam beat me like the bitch that i am Joined: Posts: 6,055
    its soooo obvious, 623P.com smh duh
  • CronopioCronopio ST Joined: Posts: 2,201
    edited January 11
  • bchan009bchan009 Joined: Posts: 846
    edited January 11
    Discourse, huh?

    Are they installing it themselves or still paying for a cloud service?

    I researched Discourse when I was looking for new software options. Hope it's not too new-school for some of you. hehe

    https://meta.discourse.org/
  • Tyrant Sardines IITyrant Sardines II Tell me a story Joined: Posts: 2,666
    edited January 11
    FuckSmash.com ain't bad either.

    Also props to all the great peeps not giving up and working out a rescue effort. I am keeping the empty cold feeling at bay and retaining hope. Hope is dangerous though :/
    OTT Movie
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
    Tenacious Disgaea
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
  • HecatomHecatom Aka Black Gorilla (・Д・)ノ Joined: Posts: 24,197
    Well, with the recent news



    It sucks for those who put money onto setting a successor :/
    ( •_•) IT'S NOT RAPE,
    ( •_•)>⌐■-■
    IT'S SURPRISE SEX! (⌐■_■)
    YEAAAAAAAAAAHHH!!
    "Orgasm is a simile for the emotional epiphany a woman has when the shame of penetration is eclipsed by the inherent virtue of servicing a man." ~ Kromo.
    ( •_•)
    ( ಠ_ಠ)
    ( ಥ_ಥ)
  • Dangerous JDangerous J Clinicals now!! Joined: Posts: 10,333 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    What is discourse ?

    Is it better than Vanilla ?
    PSN: DangerousJSRK

    "There is no end to the adventures we can have,if only we seek them with our eyes open."
    -Jawaharlal Nehru
  • HecatomHecatom Aka Black Gorilla (・Д・)ノ Joined: Posts: 24,197
    bchan009 wrote: »
    Discourse, huh?

    Are they installing it themselves or still paying for a cloud service?

    I researched Discourse when I was looking for new software options. Hope it's not too new-school for some of you. hehe

    https://meta.discourse.org/

    Ugh, i hope is easy parametrizable or has enough pluggins because that layout looks all kinds of terrible.
    ( •_•) IT'S NOT RAPE,
    ( •_•)>⌐■-■
    IT'S SURPRISE SEX! (⌐■_■)
    YEAAAAAAAAAAHHH!!
    "Orgasm is a simile for the emotional epiphany a woman has when the shame of penetration is eclipsed by the inherent virtue of servicing a man." ~ Kromo.
    ( •_•)
    ( ಠ_ಠ)
    ( ಥ_ಥ)
  • bchan009bchan009 Joined: Posts: 846
    edited January 11
    What is discourse ?

    Is it better than Vanilla ?

    I know SRK implementation of Vanilla was bad, but based on what I've used of it it's a very nice piece of software.

    Discourse is a modern forum that is very light and streamlined. It's pretty different from traditional forums.
    Hecatom wrote: »
    bchan009 wrote: »
    Discourse, huh?

    Are they installing it themselves or still paying for a cloud service?

    I researched Discourse when I was looking for new software options. Hope it's not too new-school for some of you. hehe

    https://meta.discourse.org/

    Ugh, i hope is easy parametrizable or has enough pluggins because that layout looks all kinds of terrible.

    I'm not sure how extendable it is. Basic forum already seems to include like/badge systems. Theming is pretty straightforward but I'm pretty sure most sites will look just like the default. I wouldn't expect it to be modified much.
  • Sacr3DSacr3D Yummy Yummy Donuts! Joined: Posts: 3,326 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Hecatom wrote: »
    bchan009 wrote: »
    Discourse, huh?

    Are they installing it themselves or still paying for a cloud service?

    I researched Discourse when I was looking for new software options. Hope it's not too new-school for some of you. hehe

    https://meta.discourse.org/

    Ugh, i hope is easy parametrizable or has enough pluggins because that layout looks all kinds of terrible.

    The layout is definitely terrible. The avatars also suck ass.... but better this than nothing.
  • rukawa_kaederukawa_kaede ゆうしょう よゆうッチ! MOTHAF**CKA!! Joined: Posts: 3,544
    Looks like fucking shit
    jae hoon wrote: »
    Affinity is just a rouge program sent out by the bot program known as Emil.
  • bchan009bchan009 Joined: Posts: 846
    Looks like fucking shit

    Don't worry. I think I'll continue development anyway. It's lookin' pretty fine right now. n_n
  • NinetiesArcadeNinetiesArcade Joined: Posts: 1,546
    @bchan009 Even though it looks like SRK is save, appreciate the initiative. Mad respect.
    =============================================================
    "I put Soleil Moon Frye's breast reduction up with the Holocaust and Khmer Rouge purge as one of THE most senseless tragedies of the 20th Century." Return of Shiki.
    'Racism, that's the name of the game
    And you couldn't escape that if you was David Blaine
    Know what I'm sayin?' -Junk Science, House Wigger

  • PreppyPreppy act like you're used to it Joined: Posts: 14,460 admin
    edited January 12
    StockyJam wrote: »
    its soooo obvious, 623P.com smh duh


    Way better.

    Thanks for being here. Thanks for being part of this.

    Support ForumTraffic: help keep SRK alive and make money at the same time!

  • Sexperienced.Sexperienced. kdh Joined: Posts: 5,353
    Iduno wrote: »
    Nah I went on that IRC with the people running the site, the general vibe was "We don't give a fuck about the forums anymore"

    And so far we've had one hosting company offer to host the SRK forums for $120 a month and several experts saying it's fucking crazy for it to be costing 2k a month even with Vanilla.

    Between a group who no longer care about the forums and have either been shockingly inept ar running them at best or who are lying to us at worst and passionate people frenticly putting in work to migrate our community elsewhere and keep it alive I know who to throw my hat in with.

    I really think the current owners would rather see it die than give it to anyone, makes me wonder why they would suddenly announce that the forums were shutting without even attempting to keep it running. The obvious solution would be to give SRK to someone or a group of people who actually care about the forums. Hosting the site for $120 a month is without a doubt the best option.
  • bchan009bchan009 Joined: Posts: 846
    Iduno wrote: »
    Nah I went on that IRC with the people running the site, the general vibe was "We don't give a fuck about the forums anymore"

    And so far we've had one hosting company offer to host the SRK forums for $120 a month and several experts saying it's fucking crazy for it to be costing 2k a month even with Vanilla.

    Between a group who no longer care about the forums and have either been shockingly inept ar running them at best or who are lying to us at worst and passionate people frenticly putting in work to migrate our community elsewhere and keep it alive I know who to throw my hat in with.

    I really think the current owners would rather see it die than give it to anyone, makes me wonder why they would suddenly announce that the forums were shutting without even attempting to keep it running. The obvious solution would be to give SRK to someone or a group of people who actually care about the forums. Hosting the site for $120 a month is without a doubt the best option.

    The Vanilla 1200/month cloud hosting tier is for large companies like Adobe. At some point in the past they probably felt they had enough users and traffic to justify the cost of having someone else take care of hosting the board. Nowadays though traffic is probably much less, and they were stuck paying for a tier of service that wasn't necessary anymore.

    You don't need even need 120 a month to host a forum in most cases. If you're willing to take a more hand on approach in installing/maintaining the software on your own, you can run a forum of this size for very little.

  • PreppyPreppy act like you're used to it Joined: Posts: 14,460 admin
    Iduno wrote: »
    Nah I went on that IRC with the people running the site, the general vibe was "We don't give a fuck about the forums anymore"

    And so far we've had one hosting company offer to host the SRK forums for $120 a month and several experts saying it's fucking crazy for it to be costing 2k a month even with Vanilla.

    Between a group who no longer care about the forums and have either been shockingly inept ar running them at best or who are lying to us at worst and passionate people frenticly putting in work to migrate our community elsewhere and keep it alive I know who to throw my hat in with.

    I really think the current owners would rather see it die than give it to anyone, makes me wonder why they would suddenly announce that the forums were shutting without even attempting to keep it running. The obvious solution would be to give SRK to someone or a group of people who actually care about the forums. Hosting the site for $120 a month is without a doubt the best option.
    You should calculate how much they've probably bled over the years to keep this place up and running. I think it puts things in perspective.

    Thanks for being here. Thanks for being part of this.

    Support ForumTraffic: help keep SRK alive and make money at the same time!

  • CathraoCathrao Cheeky lil bugger Joined: Posts: 700
    bchan009 wrote: »
    I'm not gonna lie. I'm extremely attracted to SR$2K or some variation of it. n_n

    Yes I'm a dork...

    ...

    Even if I never have to launch this thing now it's still fun building this. =3

    Probably a good idea to keep it around, in your pockets. At this point, we have no real guarantee how long the Cannons' new forums will run. Or if we end up liking them to begin with.

    Nice to have a backup plan, right? :)
    Steam ID: Cathrao | SFV: Sakura? | T7: Lili/Feng
  • earthwormbenearthwormben Joined: Posts: 61
    bchan009 wrote: »

    The Vanilla 1200/month cloud hosting tier is for large companies like Adobe. At some point in the past they probably felt they had enough users and traffic to justify the cost of having someone else take care of hosting the board. Nowadays though traffic is probably much less, and they were stuck paying for a tier of service that wasn't necessary anymore.

    You don't need even need 120 a month to host a forum in most cases. If you're willing to take a more hand on approach in installing/maintaining the software on your own, you can run a forum of this size for very little.
    OK so say we need $1400 a year, an idea (like many sites do) is to pledge once a year a certain amount and depending on how much you pledge you pledge you get rewards (extra skins for the sites etc.) and any extra cash is kept for site improvements and emergencies. I'm sure you could very easily get 280 people to pay on average $5 a year minimum.
    On another note whilst I dont want SRK to be shut down, Im not getting any vibe that the owner cares if its open or closed and would rather migrate to a site where the community can rebuild the site to how they want.
    I like the name Hadoken, but im sure someone can come up with something more exciting
    Darksakul wrote: »
    What's the SRK discord also?

    Which one?
    any, what are there quite a few people chatting on atm?
  • purbeastpurbeast Joined: Posts: 5,036
    I don't understand why they are switching to discourse. Why not get a data dump, install the open source Vanilla forums, migrate data to your own hosted Vanilla forum, and you will have the same exact look and feel with all of the forums/threads around?
  • earthwormbenearthwormben Joined: Posts: 61
    purbeast wrote: »
    I don't understand why they are switching to discourse. Why not get a data dump, install the open source Vanilla forums, migrate data to your own hosted Vanilla forum, and you will have the same exact look and feel with all of the forums/threads around?
    Cost and easy maintenance is my only conclusions, I honestly dont think much thought has been put into the feelings of the user base. I see there are some people that are happy with this idea, but I think there would be people on here happy if SRK was only text based.

  • Sexperienced.Sexperienced. kdh Joined: Posts: 5,353
    edited January 13
    Preppy wrote: »
    You should calculate how much they've probably bled over the years to keep this place up and running. I think it puts things in perspective.

    Probably not much, it's very likely that the owners just lost interest in running this site.
    Post edited by Sexperienced. on
  • ReticentlyReticently Joined: Posts: 4,275
    While there's a little bit of an ugliness shock to get used to, it seems the Discourse software offers a shit-ton of nice features. The Gearbox forum seems to run on Discourse- check out this thread for example:

    https://forums.gearboxsoftware.com/t/report-your-bugs/162817

    The very first post has a thread summary box with shit like:
    • There are 458 replies with an estimated read time of 70 minutes.
    • Frequent Posters
    • Popular Links
  • earthwormbenearthwormben Joined: Posts: 61
    The summarise is also great for cutting out the crap but I feel the problem lies that whilst it has an amazing mobile layout, the Web2 layout is piss poor
  • Lucky ZeroLucky Zero Joined: Posts: 65 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Bchan,

    I just want to say that I support what you're doing and here's to encouraging you to press on. Imo the internet needs more grassroots fighting game places. I'm willing to donate or help you in any way I can.

    You've also inspired me to learn some of this stuff so that I can try and bring back an old, small forum that died a while back. So thanks for that as well.
  • tataa8Ptataa8P tourney. banned. washed-up. veteran. Joined: Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Wow. This has been a rollercoaster week for me personally. I started a new job recently and damn sure to drop some cash to support however SRK can be saved. Much respect to everyone for coming up with solutions, positive input and alternatives. The response was overwhelming and I personally got emotional about it not gonna lie. Mad props to @bchan009 senpai for tremendous effort despite busy schedule and real life responsibilities.



    Although I have heard that @Cisco single-handedly saved SRK but what do I know... :Con
    modern-day absolute truth™ :
    - Assumption is the Mother of all Fuck-Ups -
  • bchan009bchan009 Joined: Posts: 846
    tataa8P wrote: »
    Wow. This has been a rollercoaster week for me personally. I started a new job recently and damn sure to drop some cash to support however SRK can be saved. Much respect to everyone for coming up with solutions, positive input and alternatives. The response was overwhelming and I personally got emotional about it not gonna lie. Mad props to @bchan009 senpai for tremendous effort despite busy schedule and real life responsibilities.
    Lucky Zero wrote: »
    Bchan,

    I just want to say that I support what you're doing and here's to encouraging you to press on. Imo the internet needs more grassroots fighting game places. I'm willing to donate or help you in any way I can.

    You've also inspired me to learn some of this stuff so that I can try and bring back an old, small forum that died a while back. So thanks for that as well.

    Thanks for the support guys! I'll keep on developing this just in case. =3

  • HawkingbirdHawkingbird I am thou...thou art I Joined: Posts: 27,140
    purbeast wrote: »
    I don't understand why they are switching to discourse. Why not get a data dump, install the open source Vanilla forums, migrate data to your own hosted Vanilla forum, and you will have the same exact look and feel with all of the forums/threads around?

    Most of the people here hate vanilla.
    PSN: Hawkingbird
    FC: 0834-1564-0151
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/runawayavenger
  • bchan009bchan009 Joined: Posts: 846
    purbeast wrote: »
    I don't understand why they are switching to discourse. Why not get a data dump, install the open source Vanilla forums, migrate data to your own hosted Vanilla forum, and you will have the same exact look and feel with all of the forums/threads around?

    Most of the people here hate vanilla.

    The thing is that the switch was made to Vanilla years ago - the software has matured since then and SRK isn't even using the latest version.

    I'm currently using Vanilla so people don't have to learn something else/know what to reasonably expect. It's a powerful piece of software that's used by a lot of big companies, so it's not like it's not capable of running a moderately sized community like this one.
  • Sephiroth73003Sephiroth73003 Joined: Posts: 4,373
    Honestly, this made me think there might be a market for a discord / forum hybrid software kinda like discourse / discord. Like if you could embed discord with optional paging inside a website.

    Essentially allow similar discords to be linked together and potentially still have some way of being found via google search engine so you don't have the private invite problem of discord. Maybe even do a discourse / plush forum model where you pay based on concurrent users. Behind the scenes you have a partitioning scheme where bigger forums get dedicated or multiple machines, but small forums get packed together on 1 machine.

    Offer a twitch embed option where you can watch with twitch chat or a custom community.

    Think i might try this, I've been messing with a lot of SignalR recently and think that might be a fun project.

    SF3: Makoto and Ken
  • Sexperienced.Sexperienced. kdh Joined: Posts: 5,353
    So the current SRK owners will continue running it because people who were actually passionate about keeping SRK alive figured out a way to cut their hosting costs, so now they'll proably start making money off SRK again.
    bchan009 and others definitely deserve something for their efforts.
  • bchan009bchan009 Joined: Posts: 846
    Theme switcher is working! Now taking requests for color schemes / your favorite fighting game stages.
  • Stuart HaydenStuart Hayden Peace to the Mountain. Joined: Posts: 11,656 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    bchan009 wrote: »
    Theme switcher is working! Now taking requests for color schemes / your favorite fighting game stages.

    Jazzy nyc
    R.I.P Seth Michael Hayden
    R.I.P Troy Lane Rogers

    Fuck Dan Marino
    Negro Instal

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file