-- Weightlifting & Nutrition Thread -- v9.0 Optimized

1337338339340341343»

Comments

• HNIC MikeHNIC Mike Joined: Posts: 10,875
    edited October 2017
    For the salad thing when i did most of my early weight loss i ate salad every day. I found yogurt based ranch dressing. Expensive but 80% less calories while still not tasting like fat free ranch which is terrible. I hate vinegar so i couldn't do the lighter dressings.

Every day salad was too hardcore for my current goals so ive gone to a lazy diet consisting mostly of frozen meals, oatmeal, and soup plus my supplementation. I stay under 2000 calories. Usually around 1700 daily with a cheat meal once a week or so.

Im down 78lbs now by the way. 2 off my goal but im pushing past that.

Extended family saw me for the first time in 6 or so months. They were all shocked.
  • Citrus_monkeyCitrus_monkey Joined: Posts: 2,072
    Sadly, at least in my experience, I can't quite lose weight properly if I don't diet real hard. I've had cheat snacks here and there but nothing big; and I think I've only had what I would call a single cheat day in two months. I ate a whole baguette last night to level my leptin though and it feels good but I still have cravings for the dank shit. I'm still daydreaming about that box of oreos.

At least I've already made significant advances. I saw 3 people at a local club I go to often who remarked on my physique and asked me if I had gained mass, which is a good sign because it means that my muscle definition coming through is making me look bigger than I actually am.

One more month. I can do it.
  • dab00gdab00g Joined: Posts: 21,464
    I lost size, but replaced my gut and boobs with just mass.

The thing is people don't tell unless they look at my arms i've never lost my bigness
  • HNIC MikeHNIC Mike Joined: Posts: 10,875
    edited October 2017
    Sadly, at least in my experience, I can't quite lose weight properly if I don't diet real hard. I've had cheat snacks here and there but nothing big; and I think I've only had what I would call a single cheat day in two months. I ate a whole baguette last night to level my leptin though and it feels good but I still have cravings for the dank shit. I'm still daydreaming about that box of oreos.

At least I've already made significant advances. I saw 3 people at a local club I go to often who remarked on my physique and asked me if I had gained mass, which is a good sign because it means that my muscle definition coming through is making me look bigger than I actually am.

One more month. I can do it.

I think its because youre looking for fast results. Crash diet is for if youre about to get on stage or you only need to look good for a day.

For example you'll hear healthy weight loss is about one pound per week. What they dont say is the one pound per week thing is an average.

Like i would see no loss for a month then one day i look at the scale and 4-5 pounds come off.

Thats how it goes after the initial drop. Its not like a consistent line. You stagnate. You get slight increases, but overall you drop lower.

Whats most likely with the crash diet is that you'll hit whatever number you're chasing but you won't be able to maintain it. Either the cravings will get you or you'll give up because youre hungry all the time.

Imo you should pick foods you can stick to. Allow some carbs and shit. Steak, pasta, whatever. Cheat meal once a week.

Start thinking long term. Can you eat what youre eating for the next two years? If not its gonna be rough. Drop your 8 lbs every two months and stop starving yourself.
    edited October 2017
    I'm not really looking for fast results, I've given myself 3 months and a half to drop 8-10% BF. Once that's done I'm doing strongman 5x5 for 4 months, repeat cycle. I haven't been starving myself per say; I'm eating everything I need to and averaging 1800 calories a day but I think I might have to give myself some wiggle room to allow for maybe 2200. I work out 5x a week or 6 if I can so that might still cover it.
    I just get real annoyed at how fast i pack a gut when bulking no matter how clean I eat in surplus.
    At one point I worked a this 4 story high club and was the jack of all trades doing bussing, bartending, security etc and basically ran up and down 4 stories for 8 hours then went to the gym 4x a week and still clearly had a gut at the end of my cycle. Fucking sucks, man

On the nicer side of things, I had a great week and banged 3 girls and all 3 of them were grabbing on to my arms or shoulders mid-pound remarking on how muscular I was and goodddddddaaamn I cannot even explain how amazing that feels.

Edit: Moments where 2 years of strength training pay off. Just now on my way to work I pass by a crackhouse block where some Jamaican guy is physically threatening and pushing a girl around so I intervened, he proceeds to follow me 3 blocks yelling catches up to me and starts pushing me a whole bunch.
    I ducked, picked him up and slammed the motherfucker into the pavement. My self esteem is infinite right now.
    Post edited by Citrus_monkey on
  • NickRocksNickRocks Knock Knock Joined: Posts: 22,901
    edited October 2017
    New Gym, churboi is bacc on his SHIT!!!

Watching girls squat with just the bar unironically is never not funny. Put some weight on dat joint grrrrl
    King of the Post-09ers
    In Dusty We Trusty
    Last of the Prembers, R.I.P. my nibbas
    Maximilian is a racist thief
    https://clips.twitch.tv/maximilian_dood/DifferentBeeHeyGuys
  • BB_HoodyBB_Hoody Nice plane you have there. Be a Shame if something went wrong in flight and it crashed Joined: Posts: 5,091
    I'm not really looking for fast results, I've given myself 3 months and a half to drop 8-10% BF. Once that's done I'm doing strongman 5x5 for 4 months, repeat cycle. I haven't been starving myself per say; I'm eating everything I need to and averaging 1800 calories a day but I think I might have to give myself some wiggle room to allow for maybe 2200. I work out 5x a week or 6 if I can so that might still cover it.
    I just get real annoyed at how fast i pack a gut when bulking no matter how clean I eat in surplus.
    At one point I worked a this 4 story high club and was the jack of all trades doing bussing, bartending, security etc and basically ran up and down 4 stories for 8 hours then went to the gym 4x a week and still clearly had a gut at the end of my cycle. Fucking sucks, man

On the nicer side of things, I had a great week and banged 3 girls and all 3 of them were grabbing on to my arms or shoulders mid-pound remarking on how muscular I was and goodddddddaaamn I cannot even explain how amazing that feels.

Edit: Moments where 2 years of strength training pay off. Just now on my way to work I pass by a crackhouse block where some Jamaican guy is physically threatening and pushing a girl around so I intervened, he proceeds to follow me 3 blocks yelling catches up to me and starts pushing me a whole bunch.
    I ducked, picked him up and slammed the motherfucker into the pavement. My self esteem is infinite right now.

Is it wrong to have that as a motivator for working out? Because honestly that's the only reason I would care to dedicate myself to a training regiment. I know females like to say that they are more mental than visual and a guy has to attract them mentally first. But how much of that is truth vs typical female modesty and trying not to look easy? From your experience at least.

Also kudos for handling that dude but be careful out here man. A ripped bod don't mean shit against a skinny dude with a gun.
  • thurstthurst What's my age again? Joined: Posts: 11,810 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Heaux like muscles, that's been known since the dawn of time. All things being equal, chicks will fuck with the dude that's in shape versus the one that's not. But remember, all things are rarely equal.
    #teamSkinnyBitches #teamHATE #teamKELLS #OGteamMILEY
    thurst wrote: »
    Heaux like muscles, that's been known since the dawn of time. All things being equal, chicks will fuck with the dude that's in shape versus the one that's not. But remember, all things are rarely equal.

Truth. From someone whose been both skinny and now moderately in shape, girls approach me and get flirtier a lot more in general. HOWEVER, even if youre an average joe, being confident and funny is the killer combo. I used to be shy and not really speak my mind much, but the moment I started getting more comfortable in my own skin, loudly voicing my opinions(of course, without being a belligerent frat douche and having consideration) and calling girls out on BS, things got a lot smoother for me.

I worked at an upscale sex club for 2 years and have been a customer for like 4. There's dozens of ripped guys coming here all the time who cannot get laid because their intentions and reliance on their physique is quite literally nude, mentally and physically. I've seen many, maaaany skinny average dudes with 10/10s. I would probably rate myself as a 7/10 at best and I've had decent success with women who are quote on quote out of my league. Either way to answer your question; if you're a total beginner you'll need at least a solid year to start getting noticeably fitter. Maybe do that and work on your verbal game as you go?? I'd say it's well worth it. Catching looks and getting a steady dose of compliments from cute girls is a very...nice thing.
    My arms and chest are both big and i got a super wide back

Wifey likes me way more this way than as fatso with bitch tits and a jowl at patton oswalt level

Bald, Beard, and muscles

That is her type...though hmm
  • BB_HoodyBB_Hoody Nice plane you have there. Be a Shame if something went wrong in flight and it crashed Joined: Posts: 5,091
    dab00g wrote: »
    My arms and chest are both big and i got a super wide backside

Wifey likes me way more this way

That is her type...though hmm

Fixed

• PsychobluePsychoblue the Conductor of the Hype Train Joined: Posts: 2,997
    edited October 2017
    I'm about to enter a heavy diet phase too. For the past year I focused almost exclusively on the weight room and building mass and endurance, and I can tell I've made huge improvements as I'm lifting heavier than I've ever lifted and I was able to go 4 hours jamming at a metal concert (moshing, jumping, headbanging, dancing, etc) last Tuesday without much cardiovascular or muscle fatigue until the very end: all I did was break a sweat but one bottle of water between sets and I was fine. Unfortunately my family says I look like I have moon facies so I guess it's about that time. I'm going to be cutting out a lot of carbs, which sucks, but I start a new job Monday away from all of the big food temptations that were at my last one so that should speed the process along. I have no problem with eating healthy as long as it tastes good, and I typically enjoy salad greens without any dressing.

I'm hoping to see serious results by the end of the year.
  • nikeSBstunna89nikeSBstunna89 WOLVES Joined: Posts: 1,536
    Fuck dieting during the fall and winter but good luck to you sir.
    Fuck dieting during the fall and winter but good luck to you sir.

Wingstop coming to my area right next to my old office fucked up my dieting something fierce, lol. Where I work starting Monday there's nothing like that anywhere close. Plus a branch of the gym I go to is less than 2 minutes driving away from the office. It's meant to be!
  • ShinjiGohanShinjiGohan Joined: Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Diet now so when it comes to beach time, you''ll be beach ready.
    Beepbeep swole progress update. One month into bulking again with lots of success.
    Bodyweight is at 180 lbs, this week I. Benched 230, DL'd 410 and squated 270 (all 5x5, perfect form)
    I feel pretty razzledazzled
  • P. GorathP. Gorath @ButtonMashLA Joined: Posts: 6,799 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    I'm very close to signing up at a Crossfit place. I'm skinny/skinny-fat. Any reason I should NOT go this route?
    P. Gorath wrote: »
    I'm very close to signing up at a Crossfit place. I'm skinny/skinny-fat. Any reason I should NOT go this route?

injury, if you dont want to do regular gymbro lifts just do olympic style lifts like clean and jerk

- - - - -

one arm db rows are becoming my favorite movement, pulling those heavy dumbbells feels so manly
    King of the Post-09ers
    In Dusty We Trusty
    edited November 2017
    Workouts are going great, I feel amazing and my body feels warm even when it's close to freezing by the time I'm done with my workout. I'm going about 4-5 times a week now and there's lot of positive energy coming from me whenever I do cardio or weights. Pairing these reinforcing items like great music or catching up with Dragonball has made everything go smoothly.

But, holy shit, today one of the trainers came up to my while I was in the middle of treadmill stuff asking if I wanted to do an evaluation so I could better define my workout goals. I get you've got a quota to fill, dude, but holy shit talk about rude! Have you not seen me at your gym the past two months dripping sweat 5 days a week, or spending every weekend at the gym near my house? I know what I want out of my workout: I want to feel satisfied with my exercise and finish my routine in a reasonable amount of time while getting the muscle groups addressed appropriately. I'm not some noobie at this point, either. I've been doing this for almost 10 years now, and I am clearly not the same scrub I was when I started.

Psychoblue wrote: »
    Workouts are going great, I feel amazing and my body feels warm even when it's close to freezing by the time I'm done with my workout. I'm going about 4-5 times a week now and there's lot of positive energy coming from me whenever I do cardio or weights. Pairing these reinforcing items like great music or catching up with Dragonball has made everything go smoothly.

But, holy shit, today one of the trainers came up to my while I was in the middle of treadmill stuff asking if I wanted to do an evaluation so I could better define my workout goals. I get you've got a quota to fill, dude, but holy shit talk about rude! Have you not seen me at your gym the past two months dripping sweat 5 days a week, or spending every weekend at the gym near my house? I know what I want out of my workout: I want to feel satisfied with my exercise and finish my routine in a reasonable amount of time while getting the muscle groups addressed appropriately. I'm not some noobie at this point, either. I've been doing this for almost 10 years now, and I am clearly not the same scrub I was when I started.

I've been going to the same gym for two years, I'm like fucking twice the volume in muscle as I was when I began and trainers i've surpassed are still offering me personal training packages. Are they fucking blind?
    P. Gorath wrote: »

There's a myriad of reasons why that might not be the best route. First define your goal. Do you want to lose the fat first and then build muscle or are you more focused on gaining strength and mass? If you're brand new to lifting and working out in general than any good workout and stable diet will give you good results, but only for so long. Post your goals and some more info and we can better help.
    Psychoblue wrote: »

I've been going to the same gym for two years, I'm like fucking twice the volume in muscle as I was when I began and trainers i've surpassed are still offering me personal training packages. Are they fucking blind?
    The ultimate slap in the face is when they shill WHILE YOU ARE IN THE MIDDLE OF A SET. He came up to me as I was working up a good sweat and while I was a bit tired, I didn't feel winded at all and I know I was going at a good pace.

Yo, I need advice. I've reached intermediate weights for all major lifts except for squats, and I'll be achieving that in about 3 weeks times. So my question is, what next? My goal was to reach intermediate lifts and then focus on hypertrophy and vanity muscles/shredding fat. I'm so used to SS 5x5 that I don't even know what to do once I've reached my goals with it. Is there a particular routine any of you know that is a good swtichover to focus heavily on aesthetics or should I just keep doing 5x5 and then engage in a longer cut phase?

My issue is that my shoulders are naturally narrow and my arms are not very big, so I *really* want to gain size in those. Problem is when doing 5x5 you don't really directly work those smaller muscle groups.

So yea....any advice would be appreciated.
  • StockyJamStockyJam beat me like the bitch that i am Joined: Posts: 6,055
    im getting fat from Ensure nutrition shakes.
    but im getting skinny from hcg shots.
    i feel good.
    bloat is real rn, but aside from that i feel great! cruising thru this bulk on a gal.5 of water a day plus the requisite hella food (50g protein per meal, 6 meals a day). feeling really good, lifting heavier than ever, libido is on point. only supps currently being ran are protein multivitamins fish oil creatine. not sleeping so good cuz im waking up to piss so much tho, gonna go get some ZMA soon
    King of the Post-09ers
    In Dusty We Trusty
    Yo, I need advice. I've reached intermediate weights for all major lifts except for squats, and I'll be achieving that in about 3 weeks times. So my question is, what next? My goal was to reach intermediate lifts and then focus on hypertrophy and vanity muscles/shredding fat. I'm so used to SS 5x5 that I don't even know what to do once I've reached my goals with it. Is there a particular routine any of you know that is a good swtichover to focus heavily on aesthetics or should I just keep doing 5x5 and then engage in a longer cut phase?

My issue is that my shoulders are naturally narrow and my arms are not very big, so I *really* want to gain size in those. Problem is when doing 5x5 you don't really directly work those smaller muscle groups.

So yea....any advice would be appreciated.

if body building is your goal, then start looking up routines focusing on targeting and isolating muscle groups for size. you might need to lower the weights on a few of them. its still a good idea to go as heavy as you can for those rep ranges tho and to keep progressing as you get stronger. you could even just pick up a flex magazine and try ou ttheir routines or something lol. youtube works great too
    King of the Post-09ers
    In Dusty We Trusty
  • BBQBBQ ピンクゾーン Joined: Posts: 3,721
    Just out of curiosity for those had have had severe ligament injuries, did you have to make any permanent changes to your routines?
    I ask this as I'd like to get into improving my fitness but after my knee operation, I've had moments from doing my job, wrenching on my vehicles, or some days feeling like my knee is sore/on the edge of re injury. I've been to the doc on a couple occasions but nothing too out of the ordinary for someone with knee operation..
  • fei longfei long pilot kids master Joined: Posts: 54 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    BBQ wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity for those had have had severe ligament injuries, did you have to make any permanent changes to your routines?
    I ask this as I'd like to get into improving my fitness but after my knee operation, I've had moments from doing my job, wrenching on my vehicles, or some days feeling like my knee is sore/on the edge of re injury. I've been to the doc on a couple occasions but nothing too out of the ordinary for someone with knee operation..

I've torn an ACL, had a repaired meniscus, and meniscectomy, but haven't changed a thing in terms of working out. Strongest I've ever been actually. Still play sports and haven't lost a step or any bounce, but if anything has changed, naturally its my playstyle.. I train a lot and I do sometimes get achy but I chalk that up to effects from training. I recommend rolling out problem areas and doing mobility stuff when you feel shitty, it's kept me relatively injury free and helps with recovery. What are you trying to do, just general fitness for health or something specific? Also, what happened to your knee?
    grady sizemore for mvp
    edited December 2017
    Motorcycle racing related: core, legs and anaerobic exercise. I injured my knee by hyperextension(planted my leg on the ground going 40 mph on my bike) so think of trying to straighten you leg and it goes past the limit. Resulting in blowing out my acl, tearing my MCL, meniscus damage, fractured tibia and fibia. While the surgery did improve my knee, it still doesn't feel 100% and as said before I'm worried about re injury if I take training seriously for next year's race season
  • fei longfei long pilot kids master Joined: Posts: 54 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Motorcycle racing related: core, legs and anaerobic exercise. I injured my knee by hyperextension(planted my leg on the ground going 40 mph on my bike) so think of trying to straighten you leg and it goes past the limit. Resulting in blowing out my acl, tearing my MCL, meniscus damage, fractured tibia and fibia. While the surgery did improve my knee, it still doesn't feel 100% and as said before I'm worried about re injury if I take training seriously for next year's race season

Timeline on everything? And what did your doc say about recovery? All 3 surgeries were to my left knee, was told maybe I shouldn't squat full depth anymore but that's about the only thing I was told ( I still squat full depth haha). not a doctor nor in the field, but if the doc days you can make the recovery and go back to it then you should be good? Mostly mental at that point imo. Could give you accounts of my post surgery rehab experiences if you'd like, good luck bud.
    grady sizemore for mvp
    I made it homies. Finally reached all of my long term 5x5 strength goals and went beyond on DL's:

Squat - 300
    DL- 440
    Bench - 230
    Bent over row - 200

Wooooooooo
    Only 20 lbs away from 4pl8 squat
    King of the Post-09ers
    In Dusty We Trusty
    If you only learned one thing

Please do gotch bible

Gotch bible is the path to beast mode
  • Axl_m4sterAxl_m4ster 623+P brings people together Joined: Posts: 2,435
    cod liver oil is no joke.
    super natural high amounts of the lipid vitamins A, D, and E.
    last time i checked cod liver oil has the most amount of vitamin D than any other food source.
    it ranks #1 versus milk which ranks i think at number 8.
    so very good for you.

also, eat your spinach. dat iodine doe.
    LOGIC AND REASON ARE OVERRATED VIRTUES.
  • Mr.PaVy-RDMr.PaVy-RD Joined: Posts: 3,804
    im 5'10 275lb and im trying to get into the military i know bootcamp is gonna be OD so what workouts should i focus on so i can drop weight kinda fast? Please and thank you

SFV-Ryu/Chun/Nash
    3s-Yang/Urien/Dudley
    Mr.PaVy-RD wrote: »
    im 5'10 275lb and im trying to get into the military i know bootcamp is gonna be OD so what workouts should i focus on so i can drop weight kinda fast? Please and thank you

Well we need to know more. What's your bodyfat percentage, gym experience and time frame to lose this weight?
    edited January 14
    You are going to need to train like you are doing a triathalon. And you need to work on pullups and rope climbing and swimming

But the thing is you will probably pass the pre-test and they will grind you through boot camp
    im pretty sure im 20-25% body fat and i have a 5 month time frame for this weight loss i just got a membership to planet fitness i cant swim though lol. i dont wanna go into boot camp like this cause ill get DESTROYED. so should i focus heavily on cardio to drop weight or should i include weight lifting?

SFV-Ryu/Chun/Nash
    3s-Yang/Urien/Dudley
    Calisthenics

Jumping jacks
    Pushups
    Burpees
    Pullups
    Rope climbing
    Crawling

Lots of stuff wearing gear

So train like you are doing a tough mudder
    Thank you ill try my best!

SFV-Ryu/Chun/Nash
    3s-Yang/Urien/Dudley
    edited 2:07AM
    fei long wrote: »

Timeline on everything? And what did your doc say about recovery? All 3 surgeries were to my left knee, was told maybe I shouldn't squat full depth anymore but that's about the only thing I was told ( I still squat full depth haha). not a doctor nor in the field, but if the doc days you can make the recovery and go back to it then you should be good? Mostly mental at that point imo. Could give you accounts of my post surgery rehab experiences if you'd like, good luck bud.

Timeline...so, in 2013, the injury happened, but the first doctor said it didn't look like I did anything, so it "healed" but any hard impact and it almost felt like deja vu. Lived with it tell 2016 when I really felt something was up at a ski resort. Found out that the acl had completely become detached, MCL torn, minuscus was degrading, fractures on the tibia and fibia. Had surgery and later on, did physical therapy that while it did help some of the recovery, felt like all the therapist was doing was stacking these exercises that some at the time were sketchy as fuck. So I stopped seeing her and did get better than I was pre-surgery. EDIT: forgot to answer this; the surgeon said that I should be good to go on continuing my riding and any other activity when I saw him months later for an evaluation. He did felt confident in his work but to me, it hasn't and will never feel 100% like my other knee is.

Today I signed up at my local LA fitness. Tomorrow I'll be shopping for gym gear and start planning on changing my diet. Race season is coming up in spring, my goal is to start improving my strength, stanima, and flexibility. Going back to this post I need to re word what I had posted, I know growing old I'll never have that crazy stamina I had in my teens or be as agile, but if I can get close to it while building back up some muscle I lost over the years, if this brings positive results in my racing performance, I'll be psyched.
    Post edited by BBQ at

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file