Blizzard Overwatch

Comments

• SurremiesSurremies Joined: Posts: 730
    edited January 6
    While talking about totally different games, Valkyrie Rez on current live patch is pretty much compared to situation where you outplay / outaim your opponent in the CS:GO to secure the round or map control / afterplant but the Terrorist or CT player has the ability to speedhack just because he's holding the bomb / Defuse kit.
    "Every nerf makes its own tune.."
  • Kalyx triaDKalyx triaD Serious Business Joined: Posts: 3,278
    The terrorist outplayed you.
    XBL: Kalyx triaD

YouTube.com/Kalyx
  • EskillsEskills Joined: Posts: 4,284
    edited January 6
    LordxMugen wrote: »
    Eskills wrote: »
    There was never anything wrong with rezz, just typical crying from bitches that know Blizz will cater to tears. :coffee:
    people dont like it when you can trivialize combat and pushing. Personally, outside of wanting money because Starcraft eSports is dead Im not sure why Blizzard is trying to make such an overtly casual FPS like Overwatch work in a environment that is counter to this ideal. Its never going to happen or work when you have characters like Mercy that exist like that. But they dont want to rework her because they believe her identity is tied to rez, so then whats the point? Its the same reason TF2 isnt seen as a competitive FPS, nor does it need to be. Just let the game be casual and give up on this garbage balance crap since the ability and map designs prevent anything that remotely looks like "balance".
    Forgot since it's so fun getting a team wipe or bursting peeps down in 2-3 secs everything that impedes your typical XxDeathgamer123xX from getting his rocks off while playing dps is bad.

That's why this game is shit. Offense is glorified, everything else is nerfed or given more dps. And TTK continues to be dogshit.
    I do believe tat I r teh King.
  • OceanMachineOceanMachine ROCKET LAUNCHER GOD Joined: Posts: 10,523
    It takes ages to kill anyone in this game compared to any other shooter, just saying.
    [SFV] Laura (Sakura, Cody?) [3S] Alex, Ken
    [Xrd] Leo [BBCF] Bullet
    [UNIEL] Orie [T7] Claudio
    [MvCI] Thanos and something else
    It takes ages to kill anyone in this game compared to any other shooter, just saying.

That is balanced by characters having extreme unique abilities. Reaper is not looking for his guns, they're his primary - and three good hits is a wrap for most characters. Widow and Hanzo aren't waiting for power weapon drops, they can one-shot most the cast.

The long ttk is offset for dozens of not-even-difficult abilities that can delete people in ways other FPS games only allow in VERY specific circumstances (power drops, finite special ammo, 'supers', stealth kills, etc). We were fine with OW having free blast damage because we have healers. And comparatively speaking, the game leans way more toward delete-happy shenanigans than rez. The only abilities in the area of rez (ie; respawn time/bench mitigation) are rez and teleporter. And I'm being real loose with teleporter.

So the only actual mechanical counterpoint to instant kills is rez. There is not a single rational argument against it. Only this 'but muh kills/push' thing, which isn't a meta argument.

Get Mercy on your damn team. Some of yall the same niggas talking bout picking meta.

YouTube.com/Kalyx
    edited January 7
    Even with these "special abilities" ttk is very slow due to high health and the presence of armors, shields, barriers, escape abilities and crowd control. The only heroes based around one shotting have massive drawbacks, whether it's the need to engage in close range (Doomfist), limited range (Hog), the unreliable nature of projectiles (Hanzo) or the limited vision while scoping (Widow), not to mention they still won't be able to one shot tanks.

In CSGO or PUBG you peek the wrong corner and you're dead. In Siege a headshot or a melee is an instakill. BF or COD are die and retry. All revive abilities present in these games have long cast times and bring back the player with 50% or less health. Also in Siege or PUBG this ability is not limited to a single class or character - which means you don't need to play them to get this advantage - and in BF there's no class limit anyway.

There is absolutely no fundamental justification whatsoever to the need of instarezzes in this game, it's a gimmick that was funny and tolerable when it was an ult of a weak hero but now that it's a single target ability given to a hero with great escapes and an ult that gives her maximum survivability there's no point in holding to it. Overwatch is extremely arcadey, casual and unpunishing as a FPS, yet people for some reason still want to be able to undo mistakes for free with no risk involved.

P.S. the fact your only solution to rez is "have Mercy in your team" shows enough how deeply unbalanced the ability is.
    [Xrd] Leo [BBCF] Bullet
    "Undo mistakes for free with no risk involved." Jesus.

YouTube.com/Kalyx
  • LordxMugenLordxMugen FIGHTAN GAHMS!!! Joined: Posts: 657
    "Undo mistakes for free with no risk involved." Jesus.
    No. Just Mercy.

*silently waits for Darkstalkers 4*
  • FengShuiEnergyFengShuiEnergy Serving my robot overlords <3 Joined: Posts: 12,879
    edited January 7

Ok, what do you consider a low ttk then? 1 second? 2 seconds? Also hat factors into your ttk theory? hS's (which kill instantly), low mobility (like most if not all fps'), melee attacks instant kills etc etc.

edited January 7
    There is absolutely no fundamental justification whatsoever to the need of instarezzes in this game, it's a gimmick that was funny and tolerable when it was an ult of a weak hero but now that it's a single target ability given to a hero with great escapes and an ult that gives her maximum survivability there's no point in holding to it. Overwatch is extremely arcadey, casual and unpunishing as a FPS, yet people for some reason still want to be able to undo mistakes for free with no risk involved.
    One of the best summarized posts throughout 323 pages about Overwatch.

I'm not kidding.
    P.S. the fact your only solution to rez is "have Mercy in your team" shows enough how deeply unbalanced the ability is.
    Flashbacks to the launch of the game with Widowmaker.
  • VhoziteVhozite Bounce... Joined: Posts: 4,061
    edited January 7
    Eskills wrote: »
    There was never anything wrong with rezz, just typical crying from bitches that know Blizz will cater to tears. :coffee:

Old rez, maybe. Post-Valk rez is just the dumbest thing ever added to a competitive multiplayer video game.

Old rez was fine, but as I recall people complained about that too. At this point just revert her and call it a day.
  • VhoziteVhozite Bounce... Joined: Posts: 4,061
    Also TTK is long as shit in OW. Not sure how that is even debatable.
    edited January 7

Ok, what do you consider a low ttk then? 1 second? 2 seconds? Also hat factors into your ttk theory? hS's (which kill instantly), low mobility (like most if not all fps'), melee attacks instant kills etc etc.

As I mentioned, in Siege any weapon will kill immediately if a single bullet touches the head (bypassing the downed state) and melees will kill instantly even through armor or overhealing. In CSGO an AK or even a pistol can just burn your health before you even realize what's happening. Gunfights last less than half a second in the games I mentioned, after which you have to wait either for respawn or for the next round.
    Now, compare it to what happens to Overwatch. "Mercy is half! Oh wait, she GAed to the other side of the map and now she's behind Rein's shield self healing" "Tracer is low! Wait, she recalled - I hit her again! Nevermind, she pressed shift 3 times and grabbed a health pack" "Winston is almost dead! Oh sorry, he dropped a bubble which gave him enough time to get healed by Moira's orb and jump back to his team". Even 1v1s between DPS last for a relatively long time unless one of the heroes has an ability that gives him a free kill like a flashbang or a hook. This is why picks and ults are so important to engage a team fight, and you could literally spend several minutes shooting at a choke before any of those happens.
    If anything Overwatch's TTK is way closer to Quake than to tactical shooters, with the difference that it's objective based instead of being pure deathmatch.
    [Xrd] Leo [BBCF] Bullet
  • FengShuiEnergyFengShuiEnergy Serving my robot overlords <3 Joined: Posts: 12,879
    edited January 7

As I mentioned, in Siege any weapon will kill immediately if a single bullet touches the head (bypassing the downed state) and melees will kill instantly even through armor or overhealing. In CSGO an AK or even a pistol can just burn your health before you even realize what's happening. Gunfights last less than half a second in the games I mentioned, after which you have to wait either for respawn or for the next round.
    Now, compare it to what happens to Overwatch. "Mercy is half! Oh wait, she GAed to the other side of the map and now she's behind Rein's shield self healing" "Tracer is low! Wait, she recalled - I hit her again! Nevermind, she pressed shift 3 times and grabbed a health pack" "Winston is almost dead! Oh sorry, he dropped a bubble which gave him enough time to get healed by Moira's orb and jump back to his team". Even 1v1s between DPS last for a relatively long time unless one of the heroes has an ability that gives him a free kill like a flashbang or a hook. This is why picks and ults are so important to engage a team fight, and you could literally spend several minutes shooting at a choke before any of those happens.
    If anything Overwatch's TTK is way closer to Quake than to tactical shooters, with the difference that it's objective based instead of being pure deathmatch.

So, what would your probably ttk be then? Do you like long skirmishes or instant gibs and move on? Like cod, bf, cs etc etc.

I myself lean towards the longer skirmishes. Like say...6+ seconds (not counting instant kills of course like HS's).
    edited January 7
    It's hard to tell because those games are different in structure. Gun fights in CSGO or Siege might be short, but to get to them you will usually spend some time to find the position of the enemies, where in OW both teams will face each other in the open for the most part. Ranked matches last from 4 to 9 rounds in Siege and 16 to 30 rounds in CSGO, while in OW it will usually last 2 to 4 rounds, so they do compensate the quick deaths with a higher amount of attempts to win a round.
    If I have to choose though I still do think it's way more satisfying to kill someone in Siege than in OW because you know with certainty that enemy won't be able to come back for the rest of the round (and also because he could've easily killed you in the same way). In OW it's more "I killed someone, quick kill everyone else before the person I just killed is back from spawn".
    In addition to that, forcing you to spectate several minutes for a single fuck up really makes you want to improve your positioning and game sense to avoid dying in dumb ways. You don't really care that much though if you know you will be back in 15-20 seconds, and even less if you count on your Mercy to just undo your mistakes.
    That doesn't mean I don't like the arcade and casual nature of OW, but I also wish it was slightly more rewarding than it is currently.
    [Xrd] Leo [BBCF] Bullet
    edited January 7
    In CSGO an AK or even a pistol can just burn your health before you even realize what's happening. Gunfights last less than half a second in the games I mentioned
    Started to write long-ass post why it's not that simple (again) in terms of CS's gunplay and that 0,5s but maybe this time I keep my mouth shut.

Generally speaking you are right about TTK.
  • XthAtGAm3RGuYXXthAtGAm3RGuYX SRK's ResidentSleeper Joined: Posts: 12,033
    Someone losing their ult because of Rez is a fantastic way to turn Mercy into a troll pick that does more harm to her team than good

Or jsut come back with not full health from a res. Currently there is 0 drawbacks from being ressed. Mercy already has cons to using it but they want to nerf it more. Why not nerf the character whose getting ressed instead? Like say....all your abilities go on cd or less health, lose some ult charge etc etc.

There are all kinds of drawbacks of being rezzed. Mainly that you come back exactly where you died, and it is highly likely that ou come back into a situation where you can do nothing but die again. It's happened before where right as my invulnerability wears off nuke goes off nearby, riptire detonates, Zarya throws grav, rocket barrage, all kinds of things.

Any kind of punishment to the receiving player being rezzed, will turn Mercy into a troll pick resulting in a team throwing. Before you start typing a response in the vein of "well it's your fault for dying" please take a moment to consider the many methods of death there are in this game which 9 times out of 10 are of your hands.
    Unchallenged owner of worst user name on SRK
    Someone losing their ult because of Rez is a fantastic way to turn Mercy into a troll pick that does more harm to her team than good

Or jsut come back with not full health from a res. Currently there is 0 drawbacks from being ressed. Mercy already has cons to using it but they want to nerf it more. Why not nerf the character whose getting ressed instead? Like say....all your abilities go on cd or less health, lose some ult charge etc etc.

There are all kinds of drawbacks of being rezzed. Mainly that you come back exactly where you died, and it is highly likely that ou come back into a situation where you can do nothing but die again. It's happened before where right as my invulnerability wears off nuke goes off nearby, riptire detonates, Zarya throws grav, rocket barrage, all kinds of things.

Any kind of punishment to the receiving player being rezzed, will turn Mercy into a troll pick resulting in a team throwing. Before you start typing a response in the vein of "well it's your fault for dying" please take a moment to consider the many methods of death there are in this game which 9 times out of 10 are of your hands.

The many times I've seen a mercy res someone without getting nuked by an ultimate is slim. Usually the nuking happens prior not after. Dying in ow is basically a must. Almost mandatory. Which...is dumb but whatever I suppose.

It's hard to tell because those games are different in structure. Gun fights in CSGO or Siege might be short, but to get to them you will usually spend some time to find the position of the enemies, where in OW both teams will face each other in the open for the most part. Ranked matches last from 4 to 9 rounds in Siege and 16 to 30 rounds in CSGO, while in OW it will usually last 2 to 4 rounds, so they do compensate the quick deaths with a higher amount of attempts to win a round.
    If I have to choose though I still do think it's way more satisfying to kill someone in Siege than in OW because you know with certainty that enemy won't be able to come back for the rest of the round (and also because he could've easily killed you in the same way). In OW it's more "I killed someone, quick kill everyone else before the person I just killed is back from spawn".
    In addition to that, forcing you to spectate several minutes for a single fuck up really makes you want to improve your positioning and game sense to avoid dying in dumb ways. You don't really care that much though if you know you will be back in 15-20 seconds, and even less if you count on your Mercy to just undo your mistakes.
    That doesn't mean I don't like the arcade and casual nature of OW, but I also wish it was slightly more rewarding than it is currently.

You're leaning towards more the one life rule. Which is nice. But honestly the way I can see that being any fun is if you have some decent team coordination. Otherwise you'll be left with 1vX scenario. Which.is near impossible to come back on.

• LordxMugenLordxMugen FIGHTAN GAHMS!!! Joined: Posts: 657
    just play Lockout 3s. its the only real competitive feeling way to play OW in my experience. the maps are very balanced. Comps are opened up considerably given the nature of the Lockout system. So even if someone picks Cheese, its only for that round. And theres also more of a pick strategy too where you might start light before you hit them with your good picks or hold onto them for when you are losing and need to win a match. Its like the only thing i can play on the game currently.

*silently waits for Darkstalkers 4*
  • ES_CurseES_Curse Get ready for emanci-PAIN SON Joined: Posts: 8,479
    I was thinking on this the other day: If you could just revert everything back to a certain point, where would you go? Me personally I would go back to right before Dive took off, as a lot of things felt pretty balanced back then.
    formerly just5moreminutes. I guess the clock ran out.
    LordxMugen wrote: »
    just play Lockout 3s. its the only real competitive feeling way to play OW in my experience. the maps are very balanced. Comps are opened up considerably given the nature of the Lockout system. So even if someone picks Cheese, its only for that round. And theres also more of a pick strategy too where you might start light before you hit them with your good picks or hold onto them for when you are losing and need to win a match. Its like the only thing i can play on the game currently.

Nah, I'd rather fully embracing the arcade nature of OW and play deathmatch instead. At least until Quake Champions gets out of beta...
    delete_me wrote: »
    Another Rez discussion? I'm so glad I got that one copy of Overwatch which allows you to kill Mercy because it's really not that big of an issue on my end.

I prefer my copy where Mercy will be deleted from it and her mains will be forced to learn how to play the game. :coffee:
    [Xrd] Leo [BBCF] Bullet
    ES_Curse wrote: »
    I was thinking on this the other day: If you could just revert everything back to a certain point, where would you go? Me personally I would go back to right before Dive took off, as a lot of things felt pretty balanced back then.

Whatever the build was in season 2/early season 3. Partway through season 3 is where the game started downward. Sometime around season 5 is when it became a joke
    delete_me wrote: »
    Yeah, they should remove Reinhardt, too. Not enough shooting, Reinhardt players should learn the game!

Remove all tanks except Orisa, all supports except Ana/Zen, and all defense heroes except Widow and Hanzo. That’s the real problem with OW!
  • riburibu A Return to Form Joined: Posts: 2,743
    Managed to go 6-4 in placements this time around. Only game that felt terrible was last one on Volskaya, tanks would not try to push through that first entrance with DSPs just going ahead and dying over and over lol.
    Defintely Feel way more comfortable always going support when i can. Trying to branch out to other classes, but only DSP i really like is Sombra and only tank i really like is Zarya.
    CFN-Unlimited_RiBu. MvCI-Hunter/Dante
    Ed_SFV Discord: https://discord.gg/w6naQPC

I advise against maining DSP in any video game
    [Xrd] Leo [BBCF] Bullet
  • BB_HoodyBB_Hoody Nice plane you have there. Be a Shame if something went wrong in flight and it crashed Joined: Posts: 5,091
    My Winston game has really improved now that I really understand how to create or in Winston's case, deny space to the enemy and peel back to protect healers. It's amazing how well your DPS can perform when u shutdown the enemy junkrat so random nades aren't wrecking them. I'll be back in plat soon
  • DramatixDramatix Could be better. Joined: Posts: 4,607
    This was a recent match about a week ago. We have a Torb on Lijang who wouldn't switch because he had four holds, and because of that, he suggested that our DPS should switch (my question is to what, exactly). I admittedly contradicted myself on that even he was clearly doing something, we needed something other than a Torb, and that he was useless for not being able to set up his turret. I'm certain that gold medals don't mean shit if we're not winning. When we won, he got POTG, and I openly admitted to eat my words. He agreed, but I responded that he shouldn't be proud for playing a niche hero when he was primarily a detriment to our team and most of his kills were our Reaper's.

"Everyone in here has had someone who tried to convince them that they were sexually harassed, and you did not believe them because they were not cute."
    You had 3 DPS for the entire game: Reaper, Torb and another guy that kept switching between DPS and did basically nothing. Torb was constantly on fire for two rounds and was dying less than your whiny Reaper even with two flankers on him; he also killed their Mercy and Dva during most engagements which is why you won the fights. Your 3rd DPS should've switched to Zen or another support, but instead the entire team focused on the Torb for no reason other than he's not meta. On top of having reported him wrongly you ignored your lack of healers and the fact one of the other DPS was being useless despite picking "meta" heroes.
    Also try to be less carefree with your GA. So many times you just teleported yourself in the face of the enemy Reaper and died. As Mercy you should stay behind your team and out of the fight as much as possible.
    [Xrd] Leo [BBCF] Bullet
  • DramatixDramatix Could be better. Joined: Posts: 4,607
    I'm usually more tame with GA, but I guess I get too happy with the extra hop.
    "Everyone in here has had someone who tried to convince them that they were sexually harassed, and you did not believe them because they were not cute."
    edited January 10
    The standard really should be two healers a team. It's hard as hell as one healer keeping 5 other people alive+yourself.
  • LivewireXLivewireX Joined: Posts: 5,957
    I could be wrong in thinking this, but I swear it feels like every patch/update/etc for this game that comes out has about 10 Doomfist bug fixes no matter how small of a patch it is.
  • YunaYuna SRK'S Social Justice Cleric Joined: Posts: 7,592
    Got this game not long ago. I suck at it. Favorite characters are Pharah, Moira, Mercy, and Torbjörn. Really need to figure out what the blast radius is on Pharah's rockets, though. Going for direct hits is getting me killed. A lot of things are getting under my skin as someone who's very new to the game, but I keep telling myself that no, my heroes aren't underpowered, McCree/Genji/Widow aren't "win for free" characters, etc. I hate how salty I get.
    "You can go ahead and cry about SJWs at this point if you like (I know some of you will), but it's not that I'm against boobs and asses and vaginas and cocks and all that. Love 'em! Genitals? Brilliant. Love lookin' at human genitalia. I love to watch genitals just poundin' it... poundin' it... poundin' it... poundin' it... poundin' it... poundin' it..."
    --Jim Sterling
    edited January 12
    You can aim at their legs/feet to get more splash damage but tbh if you can't hit directs with Pharah you shouldn't play her or you should play her in a range where you can hit them more easily.
    [Xrd] Leo [BBCF] Bullet
    This happened the other day. Was playing doomfist. Did a random uppercut and got a kill. Slowed it down later and apparently I punched another doomfist out of his charge punch and he died.
    The standard really should be two healers a team. It's hard as hell as one healer keeping 5 other people alive+yourself.

I’m against role queue, but it would instantly even out if more teams were guaranteed 2 healers.
  • YunaYuna SRK'S Social Justice Cleric Joined: Posts: 7,592
    I can second this based only on my very limited experience. I have yet to be able to solo-heal in a match that wasn't just a squash. Maybe I'm not Moira-ing correctly.
    "You can go ahead and cry about SJWs at this point if you like (I know some of you will), but it's not that I'm against boobs and asses and vaginas and cocks and all that. Love 'em! Genitals? Brilliant. Love lookin' at human genitalia. I love to watch genitals just poundin' it... poundin' it... poundin' it... poundin' it... poundin' it... poundin' it..."
    --Jim Sterling
  • LivewireXLivewireX Joined: Posts: 5,957
    I know personally one of the things that frustrates me when I get stuck solo Moira-ing for healing (other than that I don't feel confident enough in my Moira yet) is when even in comp, my team decides to ditch me and the payload to run off so I get 4 or 5 on 1'd. Granted, yeah it'd suck if I was playing Offense or Tank, but like...isn't the Healer the character type you sort of, you know...WANT to be as close to as possible?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file