USF2 Changelog and Wiki

13»

Comments

  • rcaidorcaido Dynamic Bayside Duo Joined: Posts: 8,473
    EmblemLord wrote: »
    How is a character with E.Ryus options, low tier?

    Same guy doesn't think Akuma is top tier...Not sure how a player w/ juggle dizzy to TOD combos can be considered low tier.
  • Jion_WansuJion_Wansu Joined: Posts: 6,493
    lol
  • RandomRandom Joined: Posts: 339
    edited December 2017
    Random wrote: »
    The "#1" Chun Li, named "branch," is a real pussy. I usually run Violent Ken to see who the opponent mains, and if it isn't a shoto (except Ryu maybe) I'll generally switch to Chun next. I knew if Branch had a struggle against me he would run so I threw the Chun vs V.Ken double perfect to keep him interested in free points. As expected, I manipulated him flawlessly, I never saw someone click rematch so fast. I chose Chun next. After a struggle he ran away immediately, as expected. That stupid, predictable coward isn't even too great, although he is admittedly pretty decent, but just not great. If he'd run 1st to 10 I am fairly certain I'd win, but you can't even get the full 3 matches in with that scrub.

    My name is now "branchPUSS" for the foreseeable future.

    I dont know how Nintendo handles this these days, but you still cant message other players?

    Nope, they're still stuck in the 90's in terms of online. Well, except they're charging for it soon so they're pretty modern in that sense...
    Vance wrote: »
    Random wrote: »
    Lol yeah, don't forget the tons of Akumas and Evil Ryu stragglers. It's like Shoto Fighter now, more than ever.

    I bet you're getting a lot of Akumas and Evil Ryus because they think they're counterpicking your Chun Li. Evil Ryu is a low tier character in USF2 but he's great vs. Chun Li.

    Well, they usually kick my ass so I believe they're right lol. I managed to sneak into the top 10 rankings for U.S Chun Li despite that though.
    EmblemLord wrote: »
    How is a character with E.Ryus options, low tier?

    Ryu himself isn't low tier imo, and Evil Ryu seems to basically be a better version of him but with less health.
  • RandomRandom Joined: Posts: 339
    Is it just me or is something off with reversals in this game compared to HDR? I can usually srk through meaty fireballs on wakeup in HDR but it never seems to work in USF2.
  • VanceVance Dial down the center Joined: Posts: 160 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Random wrote: »
    Ryu himself isn't low tier imo, and Evil Ryu seems to basically be a better version of him but with less health.

    Ryu is way better than Evil Ryu, that's for sure.
    Ultra Street Fighter 2 player
    Used to play Street Fighter V before Season 2
    Played a lot of HD Remix
  • RandomRandom Joined: Posts: 339
    edited December 2017
    Vance wrote: »
    Random wrote: »
    Ryu himself isn't low tier imo, and Evil Ryu seems to basically be a better version of him but with less health.

    Ryu is way better than Evil Ryu, that's for sure.

    What's so bad about him?
    Post edited by Random on
  • VanceVance Dial down the center Joined: Posts: 160 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    This is quoted from August. This is to show that I've put a lot of work in learning Evil Ryu. Frankly I think more Evil Ryu players need to share their tech because no one is succeeding online with him.
    Vance wrote: »

    My thoughts on Evil Ryu:

    B+hp is a great anti-air attack, so good that it can catch Chun Li's j.lk clean. It can also stuff a lot of special moves, like psycho crushers and sumo headbutts.

    B+hk will hit attacks that go on top of Evil Ryu's head.

    I also like b+mk for catching some special moves, like blanka balls and scissor kicks. Neutral mk is Evil Ryu's best normals for catching Buffalo Headbutt.

    C.mp is excellent and can catch moves other normals won't. But if you're playing a shoto, you knew that already.

    C.mk has great range. Learn to alternate low kicks so you can control the distance between you and the opponent after a blocked combo. C.mk xx lk tatsu xx throw is also pretty fun.

    C.hk into hadoken is especially handy for the distance it builds. I feel like the distance after that is the perfect distance for Evil Ryu to attack.

    Besides f+mk, f+mp makes for a great overhead. Both can lead to sweep (example: f+mk, c.mp, c.hk on crouching opponents), and cancelling that sweep to other special moves lead to other setups.

    You must learn to use these normals because of the lack of invulnerability on DPs. Wakeup DP loses if the opponent tries their own invulnerable move. Note that there is no damage difference between Evil Ryu and U.Ryu's shoryuken.

    Like USF4, Evil Ryu's teleport is slow and easy to hit even if you try a read. It's better to use Raging Demon to set up combos, like LiangHiuBBB demonstrates in his video.

    Evil Ryu can time a meaty fireball to force the opponent to block three hadokens, just like U.Ryu. This is a big deal because Evil Ryu needs all the damage he can get to open the opponent up.

    Evil Ryu's easiest kill combo is j.hk, c.mk xx mk tatsu xx shoryuken (dizzy) short teleport, c.mk xx mk tatsu xx shoryuken. This is the easiest 100% combo in the game and the j.hk can come from either side. You won't be able to fool opponents with this twice though so you'll have to learn other ways to deal damage to be more consistent.

    Air tatsu is not gimmicky. Learning when to sneak those in and what strength to use to chain more together is essential to leveling up.

    I also think Evil Ryu is one of Violent Ken's worst matches. It creates an interesting dynamic where Violent Ken beats Akuma, while Evil Ryu beats Violent Ken. I'm not too sure about Evil Ryu vs. Akuma though. I think a more disciplined Evil Ryu player can make that match even, but I get salty way too easily.

    Landing Raging demon is worth losing shinkuu hadoken, and works best if your opponent is stuck guessing high-low. Or if you can get in one of the setups from the combo videos posted all over the Internet.

    That's all I got. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Ultra Street Fighter 2 player
    Used to play Street Fighter V before Season 2
    Played a lot of HD Remix
  • RandomRandom Joined: Posts: 339
    Vance wrote: »
    This is quoted from August. This is to show that I've put a lot of work in learning Evil Ryu. Frankly I think more Evil Ryu players need to share their tech because no one is succeeding online with him.
    Vance wrote: »

    My thoughts on Evil Ryu:

    B+hp is a great anti-air attack, so good that it can catch Chun Li's j.lk clean. It can also stuff a lot of special moves, like psycho crushers and sumo headbutts.

    B+hk will hit attacks that go on top of Evil Ryu's head.

    I also like b+mk for catching some special moves, like blanka balls and scissor kicks. Neutral mk is Evil Ryu's best normals for catching Buffalo Headbutt.

    C.mp is excellent and can catch moves other normals won't. But if you're playing a shoto, you knew that already.

    C.mk has great range. Learn to alternate low kicks so you can control the distance between you and the opponent after a blocked combo. C.mk xx lk tatsu xx throw is also pretty fun.

    C.hk into hadoken is especially handy for the distance it builds. I feel like the distance after that is the perfect distance for Evil Ryu to attack.

    Besides f+mk, f+mp makes for a great overhead. Both can lead to sweep (example: f+mk, c.mp, c.hk on crouching opponents), and cancelling that sweep to other special moves lead to other setups.

    You must learn to use these normals because of the lack of invulnerability on DPs. Wakeup DP loses if the opponent tries their own invulnerable move. Note that there is no damage difference between Evil Ryu and U.Ryu's shoryuken.

    Like USF4, Evil Ryu's teleport is slow and easy to hit even if you try a read. It's better to use Raging Demon to set up combos, like LiangHiuBBB demonstrates in his video.

    Evil Ryu can time a meaty fireball to force the opponent to block three hadokens, just like U.Ryu. This is a big deal because Evil Ryu needs all the damage he can get to open the opponent up.

    Evil Ryu's easiest kill combo is j.hk, c.mk xx mk tatsu xx shoryuken (dizzy) short teleport, c.mk xx mk tatsu xx shoryuken. This is the easiest 100% combo in the game and the j.hk can come from either side. You won't be able to fool opponents with this twice though so you'll have to learn other ways to deal damage to be more consistent.

    Air tatsu is not gimmicky. Learning when to sneak those in and what strength to use to chain more together is essential to leveling up.

    I also think Evil Ryu is one of Violent Ken's worst matches. It creates an interesting dynamic where Violent Ken beats Akuma, while Evil Ryu beats Violent Ken. I'm not too sure about Evil Ryu vs. Akuma though. I think a more disciplined Evil Ryu player can make that match even, but I get salty way too easily.

    Landing Raging demon is worth losing shinkuu hadoken, and works best if your opponent is stuck guessing high-low. Or if you can get in one of the setups from the combo videos posted all over the Internet.

    That's all I got. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

    I use Violent Ken a lot because he is great and easy to use, and I won't pretend I'm that good with him but I do beat or tie players with way more BP than me (PP doesn't seem to matter much in most cases, which is weird, so BP at least lets you get a ballpark idea of how experienced someone is with a character if PP won't necessarily tell you how skillful they are overall) so I feel like I can at least chime in a bit regarding V.Ken VS Aku. IMO, Aku takes that match just like he does every other match (except maybe E.Ryu, I don't know anything about that matchup at all but assume Akuma wrecks him), albeit requiring safer play. V.Ken is one of the few characters who can easily punish sloppy Akuma play, that's for sure.
  • VanceVance Dial down the center Joined: Posts: 160 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Akuma is the easiest to stun in the entire game, which is a disadvantage for Evil Ryu since Evil Ryu was balanced based on the fact that he can dizzy any character in the game so easily. Like many of the other characters in the game, your only hope against Akuma is to inch your way in and never let him use his keepaway game or his teleport game. It's the Evil Ryu player who must play safer in the matchup vs. Akuma, not the other way around.
    Ultra Street Fighter 2 player
    Used to play Street Fighter V before Season 2
    Played a lot of HD Remix
  • VanceVance Dial down the center Joined: Posts: 160 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Oh, you're still reading this thread? If that's the case, you're probably wondering how your favorite character ranks in Ultra Street Fighter II. Don't worry-- I did the work for you.

    https://askvance.wordpress.com/2017/12/13/what-is-the-latest-tier-list-for-ultra-street-fighter-ii-december-13-2017/
    Ultra Street Fighter 2 player
    Used to play Street Fighter V before Season 2
    Played a lot of HD Remix
  • RandomRandom Joined: Posts: 339
    Vance wrote: »
    Oh, you're still reading this thread? If that's the case, you're probably wondering how your favorite character ranks in Ultra Street Fighter II. Don't worry-- I did the work for you.

    https://askvance.wordpress.com/2017/12/13/what-is-the-latest-tier-list-for-ultra-street-fighter-ii-december-13-2017/

    I appreciate the good read, and agree with some of your analyses such as why Chun is doing well in ranking (I'd add to that the fact that she is easy to use) and why Ken doesn't see much use.
  • RandomRandom Joined: Posts: 339
    edited January 20
    The more I think about it the more I hate Ultra Street Fighter II. So much missed potential, if only they had kept HD Remix's changes and tweaked it from there, but no, they add OP shotos to a game already dominated by them and nerf practically every charge character. Some changes were nice, but it is a shit show tbh. I am near the #10 spot for ranked Chun Li but I get set back every time a shoto catches me. I alternate between DJ & Chun to avoid shotos but it is inevitable to get caught by one and you are knocked back down...any trash shoto can win by smashing DP and jumpins, it's insane how poor Chun's defensive tools are (I miss the stored super so badly, even though it doesn't change shoto >>>>>>>>>>> Chun).
  • GlassTopGlassTop Joined: Posts: 3
    Vance wrote: »
    Oh, you're still reading this thread? If that's the case, you're probably wondering how your favorite character ranks in Ultra Street Fighter II. Don't worry-- I did the work for you.

    https://askvance.wordpress.com/2017/12/13/what-is-the-latest-tier-list-for-ultra-street-fighter-ii-december-13-2017/

    I'll have to disagree with your tier list. Its based off of BP and all of the high BP V. Kens have 3000PP and lower. Akuma dominates the leaderboards above 5000PP, mainly japanese players. The other top characters are RYU, Chun Li, Boxer, & Dee Jay. V. Ken is not consistent above 4000PP. However, V. Ken does dominate matchmaking due to his extremely easy use and cheap dash uppercuts. He is just a gimmicky character.

    Evil Ryu is definitely trash compared to the rest of the shoto's. He does have Kill combo's, but that won't be happening against good players often considering everything else about him is terrible. He trades on most of his normal's and his fireballs have slow recovery. The best thing he has is his overhead f mk and tatsu's that juggle into srk. He's more of a fun character.
  • nilcamnilcam New Student Joined: Posts: 467
    Random wrote: »
    The more I think about it the more I hate Ultra Street Fighter II. So much missed potential, if only they had kept HD Remix's changes and tweaked it from there, but no, they add OP shotos to a game already dominated by them and nerf practically every charge character. Some changes were nice, but it is a shit show tbh. I am near the #10 spot for ranked Chun Li but I get set back every time a shoto catches me. I alternate between DJ & Chun to avoid shotos but it is inevitable to get caught by one and you are knocked back down...any trash shoto can win by smashing DP and jumpins, it's insane how poor Chun's defensive tools are (I miss the stored super so badly, even though it doesn't change shoto >>>>>>>>>>> Chun).

    Chun does have fairly weak defensive tools but she's got more than enough to make up for it. Her throw damage is ridiculous. In the hands of a good player, she's a wall. She can keep you out and frustrate you or she can jump all over you. Her headstomp beats a lot of moves clean. If you catch V Ken in a lightning kick, it's game over for him. I've played a few A and A+ Chuns in the last few days and it feels damn near impossible for my Fei Long (4200 BP), Ken (4700 BP), Ryu (2800 BP), and V Ken (3000 BP).

    Shotos are fairly strong in the game but are easily punished. The only shotos my Fei Long has a lot of trouble with are Akuma and Ryu. Akuma's air fireball, ground fireball game is too strong for Fei to approach. Ryu hits very hard and can answer most of Fei Long's attacks. I generally beat Ryu by baiting DPs with LK Chicken Wing and punishing with a Fierce Punch. Fei's pretty strong at punishing shotos. Chun is even better because she can counter fireballs and punish DPs with a throw.
  • GlassTopGlassTop Joined: Posts: 3
    nilcam wrote: »
    Random wrote: »
    The more I think about it the more I hate Ultra Street Fighter II. So much missed potential, if only they had kept HD Remix's changes and tweaked it from there, but no, they add OP shotos to a game already dominated by them and nerf practically every charge character. Some changes were nice, but it is a shit show tbh. I am near the #10 spot for ranked Chun Li but I get set back every time a shoto catches me. I alternate between DJ & Chun to avoid shotos but it is inevitable to get caught by one and you are knocked back down...any trash shoto can win by smashing DP and jumpins, it's insane how poor Chun's defensive tools are (I miss the stored super so badly, even though it doesn't change shoto >>>>>>>>>>> Chun).

    Chun does have fairly weak defensive tools but she's got more than enough to make up for it. Her throw damage is ridiculous. In the hands of a good player, she's a wall. She can keep you out and frustrate you or she can jump all over you. Her headstomp beats a lot of moves clean. If you catch V Ken in a lightning kick, it's game over for him. I've played a few A and A+ Chuns in the last few days and it feels damn near impossible for my Fei Long (4200 BP), Ken (4700 BP), Ryu (2800 BP), and V Ken (3000 BP).

    Shotos are fairly strong in the game but are easily punished. The only shotos my Fei Long has a lot of trouble with are Akuma and Ryu. Akuma's air fireball, ground fireball game is too strong for Fei to approach. Ryu hits very hard and can answer most of Fei Long's attacks. I generally beat Ryu by baiting DPs with LK Chicken Wing and punishing with a Fierce Punch. Fei's pretty strong at punishing shotos. Chun is even better because she can counter fireballs and punish DPs with a throw.

    Chun can win any battle by trading damage. Her and other top tier characters are the reason you won't see many V. Kens make it much higher past 4k pp. Her throw damage alone is almost half health for the Evil shoto's. Although Akuma beats her because of air fireball.
  • RandomRandom Joined: Posts: 339
    nilcam wrote: »
    Random wrote: »
    The more I think about it the more I hate Ultra Street Fighter II. So much missed potential, if only they had kept HD Remix's changes and tweaked it from there, but no, they add OP shotos to a game already dominated by them and nerf practically every charge character. Some changes were nice, but it is a shit show tbh. I am near the #10 spot for ranked Chun Li but I get set back every time a shoto catches me. I alternate between DJ & Chun to avoid shotos but it is inevitable to get caught by one and you are knocked back down...any trash shoto can win by smashing DP and jumpins, it's insane how poor Chun's defensive tools are (I miss the stored super so badly, even though it doesn't change shoto >>>>>>>>>>> Chun).

    Chun does have fairly weak defensive tools but she's got more than enough to make up for it. Her throw damage is ridiculous. In the hands of a good player, she's a wall. She can keep you out and frustrate you or she can jump all over you. Her headstomp beats a lot of moves clean. If you catch V Ken in a lightning kick, it's game over for him. I've played a few A and A+ Chuns in the last few days and it feels damn near impossible for my Fei Long (4200 BP), Ken (4700 BP), Ryu (2800 BP), and V Ken (3000 BP).

    Shotos are fairly strong in the game but are easily punished. The only shotos my Fei Long has a lot of trouble with are Akuma and Ryu. Akuma's air fireball, ground fireball game is too strong for Fei to approach. Ryu hits very hard and can answer most of Fei Long's attacks. I generally beat Ryu by baiting DPs with LK Chicken Wing and punishing with a Fierce Punch. Fei's pretty strong at punishing shotos. Chun is even better because she can counter fireballs and punish DPs with a throw.

    That is a popular stance but I disagree. Weak defensive tools and low priority spell doom for Chun. Outside of punishment she is trash, and assuming your opponent is any good, there won't be a lot of opportunity for that.

    Both of the things you cited, strong grab (diminished threat due to grab canceling btw) and catching V. Ken in L.Legs are both assuming you're punishing, otherwise why would they be happening? A good player can and will keep Chun out. Head stomp stuffs some stuff, sure, but it is highly punishable so it should be used as a read finish imo.

    I am only #10 Chun but I've beaten even single Chun above me with little difficulty, and I can tell you that the only reason I got to that position at all is because I try to only fight grapplers and charge characters since shotos are a sure loss imo, it's all an uphill struggle. And I actually usually let Chuns with decent points beat my V.Ken (11k BP) because I have a bad conscience stealing their points, I know the Chun struggle. Also, have you tried punishing single l.srks from Ken/V.Ken with grab? Good luck with consistency.

    As for the Fei matchup, I think it's Chun's game if she can keep him out, but there's a loop he can do on her that only mashing grab has any chance of ending AFAIK so yeah, it's a sticky match.

    I hope you guys will add me, I don't think I added my code here yet, let's do some casuals VS my Chun:

    Friend Code: SW-5274-7158-2805 - SSj4_Ryuk
13»
Sign In or Register to comment.