Piccolo Thread - The Demon King's Heir

FrozteyFroztey Break the CuffsJoined: Posts: 10,905 mod
edited January 30 in Dragon Ball FighterZ
Compiling character subthreads, post your tech/discussion here!

Please @ me if any tech you'd like adding to the OP comes up!
Post edited by Froztey on
SFV Cody Discord! - https://discord.gg/6CwKfAG
SFV Lounge Discord! - https://discord.gg/cBByyap
YouTube
Twitch

Comments

• IdunoIduno ...what to put here Joined: Posts: 5,604
    Nice combos, trying to get my neutral solid and a bnb in muscle memory for every character in my team before I start drilling the corner stuff but it looks like you've found some crazy stuff for the corner there.

Few things I've noticed in the lab.

6S not only confirms into 5C at max range but you can actually option select with it, just hit 6C whenever you throw 6S out, if you hit or get blocked you get 5C (which you can then cancel to continue to combo or pressure), if you whiff you don't.
    “It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so ****ing what."
    -Stephen Fry

"I know crackheads that could sneak into a house better than an 8th century shinobi."
    -Jimmy1200
  • ArtVandelayArtVandelay Architect Joined: Posts: 5,723
    wtf is 5c?
    Add me for some Tekken 7 if you're from Europe.
    I'm not playing anything else these days:
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/NaughtySenpai/
  • ReijiReiji Joined: Posts: 270
    wtf is 5c?

5 Would be neutral stance. Meaning you don't input a direction.
    C would be strong attack button.
    You don't deserve to know my name !
    Just figured something else out.

Midscreen 2a,5b,2b,3s,3s,5c,(delay)236b/c looks to be a nice reset, the timing is the same on both so you make the opponent guess 50/50 on wakeup and if they guess wrong you can confirm into Hellzone Grenade, Super Dash for an air combo.

If your opponent starts delaying their wakeup to avoid this you can start ending with 236s to get free pressure going.
    “It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so ****ing what."
    -Stephen Fry

"I know crackheads that could sneak into a house better than an 8th century shinobi."
    -Jimmy1200
    Reiji wrote: »
    wtf is 5c?

5 Would be neutral stance. Meaning you don't input a direction.
    C would be strong attack button.

Or just call the L,M,H and S so shit makes actually sense. Or are we gonna call S D now ?
    Its an airdasher by Arcsys I will continue to use the notation I've been using since BB, no skin off my back if you come in from SF expecting SF notations and can't read it.
    -Stephen Fry

-Jimmy1200
    edited February 4
    S is S, it's not D because it's not an attack button. And it's different for each character.
    Post edited by Reiji on
  • traxustraxus Joined: Posts: 380
    Iduno wrote: »
    Its an airdasher by Arcsys I will continue to use the notation I've been using since BB, no skin off my back if you come in from SF expecting SF notations and can't read it.

The game itself uses LMH lmao

• T-DashT-Dash King of the Lag Tactics Joined: Posts: 33
    Pretty basic combo, uses about 3 meters (instant tp, ex pimp smack, and the special beam cannon)

2M>5M>jM(2)>jM(2)>2H> M(2)>214+L>Instant Teleport>214+S>qcb+H>qcf+LM (4875dmg)
    The story in Street Fighter 4 isn't that good...
    edited February 5
    2M > 5M > (JC) > j.M(2) > j.L > 2H > (SD) > (delay to gain enough height) j.LL(2) > 2H > (JC) > j.LL(2) > 214L

Position: Midscreen
    Damage: 4070 (15 Hits)
    Meter Gain: ~113% (It's a little over one bar. Dunno what the exact value is though)
    Works on: Everyone

Notation:
    LL - Light autocombo twice
    (SD) - Super Dash (S+H)
    (x) - Number of hits from j.M or the second attack from j.LL

Most optimized midscreen bnb that I have found so far. Can be extended with vanish after 214L. Would also pimp @T-Dash 's combo to 5200 damage.

Speaking of which: Do you mean the S air grab Piccolo has by 214+S? Because that one can be performed by just simply pressing S in the air. His only move with S and a quartercircle is his fireball, which he can't perform being airborne, so that kinda threw me off. @T-Dash

Edit: Found a better and 100% consistent way to do this.

@Froztey wanna take this one into the OP?
    Post edited by ArtVandelay on
  • T-DashT-Dash King of the Lag Tactics Joined: Posts: 33
    2M > 5M > (JC) > j.M(2) > j.L > 2H > (SD) > j.L > > j.L > 2H > (JC) > j.L > j.L(2) > 214L
    His only move with S and a quartercircle is his fireball, which he can't perform being airborne, so that kinda threw me off. @T-Dash

I'm crazy, yeah the quarter circle back S is meant to be the stretchy arms, I've been doing the motion the entire time :dizzy:
    The story in Street Fighter 4 isn't that good...
    Doing the motion probably helps with the timing. If I don't mash S like a madman, I often miss that shit.
  • IcarusV3IcarusV3 Joined: Posts: 1
    2M > 5M > (JC) > j.M(2) > j.L > 2H > (SD) > (delay to gain enough height) j.LL(2) > 2H > (JC) > j.LL(2) > 214L

How on earth do you hit the timing for j.LL(2)? Every time I do it, j.LLL comes out instead.
    edited February 5
    IcarusV3 wrote: »

How on earth do you hit the timing for j.LL(2)? Every time I do it, j.LLL comes out instead.

Just hit the button twice and wait.
    Also which one to you have trouble with?
    The one after the super dash, or the combo ender?

The super dash one should be delayed a little bit. So basically you hit the super dash, then Piccolo jumps up a little over their head, you hit light twice, wait for the second hit of the kick to come out, then cancel that shit into 2H and immediately jump forward for the double jump cancel and hit L twice again to set up the 214L.

Compared to say Goku, Piccolo's combos are a bit trickier.

I'll try to make a video of that combo.

@IcarusV3 I added a video to the combo.
  • sleeplostsleeplost World Warrior Joined: Posts: 23
    Piccolo's my dude, but he's really lacking a hard knockdown in mid-screen. Hard to confirm into a Special Beam Cannon without EX Demon Slicer or the corner. His damage output also isn't as much as I was hoping, but his grabs are handy enough to put a player off guard.
    CFN: Sleeplost
    STEAM: http://steamcommunity.com/id/midoriya
    Twitter @sleeplost_jp
    SFV: Sakura | Juri | R. Mika
    KoF: Nakoruru/Love Heart/ -
  • appoappo (¬‿¬) Joined: Posts: 5,262
    @ArtVandelay
    i will take it :bee:

I didn't like Piccolo, because as far as I see it, his specials aren't really that good and need to be comboed into to get anywhere. That being said, his normals are really nice and his special grab can take opponents by surprise. He need a hard knockdown attack, though.
  • CriminalUpperCriminalUpper =D Joined: Posts: 3,128
    Reiji wrote: »
    I didn't like Piccolo, because as far as I see it, his specials aren't really that good and need to be comboed into to get anywhere. That being said, his normals are really nice and his special grab can take opponents by surprise. He need a hard knockdown attack, though.

His specials are good but situational and he has multiple hard knockdown moves. He doesn't have specials which he's meant to throw out in neutral but that's not important since his normals and command normals are pretty good.

Imo, aim of the game is to get them in the corner where he shines in particular with Hellzone and Orbs to give you mixup opportunities. A midscreen hard knockdown isn't as important, soft knockdown with 214L + assist coverage is fine to maintain meterless midscreen pressure. He's very unique the way his combos and specials work, maybe people are struggling because they are trying to play him more generic like Goku or Adult Gohan. His approach definitely feels way different.
    Is his fireball safe?
    Been wondering if I should cancel the end of blockstrings into his fireball.
    Is his fireball safe?

The Orb is safe on block but blockstring into Orb has quite a big gap so the opp doesn't have to respect it. Point blank 5H xx Orb is the tightest but can still be backdashed out of and reversal'd with DPs or Supers.

I mostly use Orb on hard knockdown where it's most safe to use. The guys I play are coming up with good ways to beat it in neutral, best being Vanish + Assist (Either their Vanish hits and leads into a combo, or I block in time but my opp is heavily + on block). It also gets wiped out by Beams. Blockstring-wise I end with 6S + Assist usually, or I end early for mixups.
    Is his fireball safe?

The Orb is safe on block but blockstring into Orb has quite a big gap so the opp doesn't have to respect it. Point blank 5H xx Orb is the tightest but can still be backdashed out of and reversal'd with DPs or Supers.

I mostly use Orb on hard knockdown where it's most safe to use. The guys I play are coming up with good ways to beat it in neutral, best being Vanish + Assist (Either their Vanish hits and leads into a combo, or I block in time but my opp is heavily + on block). It also gets wiped out by Beams. Blockstring-wise I end with 6S + Assist usually, or I end early for mixups.

Dunno if I'm wrong but I think it's always good overloading people with information. Mixing up if I go for an assist call, an overhead, a parry dive kick, a fireball, a backdash etc. etc. to end a blockstring makes people freeze up or do stupid shit after a while cuz they can't tell what's going on.

Trying to work this out, does anyone know what makes Piccolo's 214H techable at the end of a combo sometimes?

I've been alternately trying it in

2M,5M,j.M,jc,j.M,j.2H,H+S,j.M,j.H,M+H,S, 214H,236L+M

and

(After combo into midscreen reset mixup between 214M and 214H)214M, 236B+C,H+S,j.M,jc,LL,214H

In the former combo the 214H leads into an untechable sliding knockdown which you can tack a super onto, in the latter it seems like the opponent can tech immediately.

At first I thought it was perhaps because I'd already used up my chance to send the opponent flying with 214M or 214H on the ground, but on second thought that should also make it not work for my first combo because of the vanishing wallbounce in it?

I'm missing something here but has anyone got an idea on what it is?
    -Stephen Fry

-Jimmy1200
    edited February 11
    Iduno wrote: »
    Trying to work this out, does anyone know what makes Piccolo's 214H techable at the end of a combo sometimes?

I've been alternately trying it in

2M,5M,j.M,jc,j.M,j.2H,H+S,j.M,j.H,M+H,S, 214H,236L+M

and

(After combo into midscreen reset mixup between 214M and 214H)214M, 236B+C,H+S,j.M,jc,LL,214H

In the former combo the 214H leads into an untechable sliding knockdown which you can tack a super onto, in the latter it seems like the opponent can tech immediately.

At first I thought it was perhaps because I'd already used up my chance to send the opponent flying with 214M or 214H on the ground, but on second thought that should also make it not work for my first combo because of the vanishing wallbounce in it?

I'm missing something here but has anyone got an idea on what it is?

What's 236B+C? I'm confused since you used LMH for all your other notation.

If you mean Hellzone Grenade, then that wouldn't work because Hellzone uses up both your launcher and hard knockdown properties.
    It was, thanks that makes sense then, guess I gotta play around a bit more to find out whats best off a Hellzone hit then.
    -Stephen Fry

-Jimmy1200
    Holy shit I gotta learn that corner stuff, guessing I wont get as many loops since Frieza assist probably will pop the opponent up too high to work but that seems sick.

Also probably pointless bit of tech but if you hold S when doing 236S you get a bigger slower orb that...

...Does no extra damage and can still be super dashed through, oh well.
    -Stephen Fry

-Jimmy1200
    edited February 12
    Goddamn anyone knows what he does on the snapback combo in video 2 after he pulls him down with 2S?
    I can see the 6S after that, but it looks like he does something in between. Can't be 236S though, because that would make the follow up 2S whiff.

They did a really good job with having wtf-is-going-on supers that force you to guess what's coming cuz you can't see shit, like hellzone grenade and the second part of Krillin's lvl3.
    Someone posted up the notation for that delicious hellzone filth

"2M, M, Jump H, 2H Super Dash, H, 2H, Jump M(first hit ), H 214 M Hellzone Grenade, 2S, 2S, 6S+Assist, H Hellzone Grenade, 2S, 2S, 2H Sparking Blast, Hellzone Grenade, 2S, 2S, Light Grenade "
    -Stephen Fry

-Jimmy1200
    Is there any good Piccolo player worth watching ?
    edited February 13
    Damn I can't get that hellzone snapback shit to work with Tien assist.
    Worst part is I'm not even sure if it's my shitty execution or not. Tien's beam throws the dude up and I'm not sure if I can reach him with with the snapback with a jump.

At least I got the part before the snapback hella optimized compared to combo video dude.

If I ever get it to work with Tien assist, I'll post a video with notations.

One thing that sucks though, is that it seems you need a very specific height for the body to be at in order for hellzone grenade to hit a second time after 2S so you can pick them up with 2S again, but I guess when you see it's not the right height, you can omit the second 2S and go into the snapback right away.

Edit: I think this game lowers the hitstun on combo hits. If I try to do it with a max damage corner combo, I can't combo 6S into 5H anymore. The dummy just techs out. Maybe that makes the second 2S seem so random to me if it connects or not because the link becomes too tight due to hitsun decay.