Guilty Gear Xrd -REVELATOR- one of life's gilty pleasures

1304305306307308310»

Comments

• grandabxgrandabx Flameater Joined: Posts: 703 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    I remember when people thought Bison doing the psycho crusher back and forth across the screen in SF:CE was cheap.
    GGXX: As long as I apply myself, I can win with anyone.
  • M1XM1X 04'er Joined: Posts: 149
    grandabx wrote: »

I'm excited for new paths with Benom.
    I'm not excited for fighting this Johnny.
    I'm not excited for fighting this Millia.
    I'm not excited for fighting this Faust.
    I'm not excited for fighting this Ino.
    Chipp can get these hands now because fuck the president.
    Answer got deleted from the game, it seems.
    Ramlethal, once again I don't understand her patch notes because she has too many fucking moves.
    Sols' going to annoy me, but he'll still get slapped.
    Ky still can't deal with my 2D.
    PSN: m1x4h
    I play Venom in Guilty Gear.
  • Raz0rRaz0r Did you really just write that? Joined: Posts: 26,374 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    I'm underwhelmed.

I'll still give the game a try, but it looks like this upcoming version won't be for me.
    Raz0r wrote: »
    I love punk's posting style. Those emotes are hilarious.
  • WeeabooWeeaboo The Dream is dead. . . Joined: Posts: 1,592
    SLAYER

Crouching K
    • Damage has been increased.
    • Knockback has been decreased

what da fuck does it mean when it says knockback has been decreased?
    Weeaboo wrote: »
    SLAYER

Crouching K

When it hits, they don't get knocked back as far as previous. Like, when you block, called "pushback" - When it hits, called "knockback"
    SLAYER

Crouching K

The language could be clearer. I had to decipher the hell out of it.

Sin has new possible combos so that's good, but they made ground beak driver even more vulnerable by taking away active frames.

They don't explain that by doing that, they essentially made the recovery longer. They even added the "total frames hasn't changed" shit but it's like, "Hey, please don't try to sugarcoat it. It's just got longer recovery/startup."

I hate hate HATE convoluted patch notes.
    Raven's changes stuck. On paper, he looks a lot less fun to play. They borked his oki in Rev 2 and now it looks like they took it further in 2.5.

The whole parry thing after super was a great trick to keep his excitement meter up. Surprised it lasted as long as it did but I never saw many players utilizing it. I guess getting scratches pretty much made it unnecessary.

Scratches in general getting nerfed is unfortunate. I get doing one or the other, but both his oki and his scratches got bumped? Shame.

I'll be curious to see what happens in these coming days. I also wonder if this might split up the playerbase again with some playing the latest patch and others sticking to Rev 2.
    edited February 14
    Ehhhhh!

Just learned there's a mistranslation for one of Sin's changes. Turns out the timing to charge his fully charged beak driver wasn't changed, but the amount of time you could hold it. I'm hearing it's halved now.
    Looks like Chipp can still keep you in the corner but it's a lot harder now.

I guess I'm the only one paying attention to these changes?
    Well,

I've been seeing this disgusting Ino shit

And I watched this stream from this morning:

• WeeabooWeeaboo The Dream is dead. . . Joined: Posts: 1,592
    edited February 14
    M1X wrote: »
    SLAYER

Crouching K

When it hits, they don't get knocked back as far as previous. Like, when you block, called "pushback" - When it hits, called "knockback"

So 2K can combo into itself now?
  • PsaroPsaro Joined: Posts: 96
    Supposedly the 2K change makes it easier for Slayer to confirm 2K 2D for knockdown from further out.

Most characters are buffed, so this patch is going to be pretty interesting. Most things make sense apart from Johnny getting buffed and Answer moving more or less sideways despite being considered relatively weak. So far I-No is a pretty clear winner in this patch. Chipp is a clear loser, maybe Haehyun too if loss of j.H knockdown really fucks her over hard. Raven is almost certainly weaker but I think he'll come out alright since he more or less got reworked rather than straight nerfed. The blender is mostly gone, but with the new scratch properties after glide, he got some powerful new routes for damage and stacking excitement, plus oki. Rather than being reduced to a win-more mechanic, excitement is actually an important part of his game, which is how it should have been from the start.

Answer is a mystery. They made his 6K scroll juggles more reliable across the cast, which is a nice change. However, it's somewhat of a moot point when they simultaneously removed his best meterless routes into 6K scroll. IAD loop is gone, and so is 5H-cling-sD, which is another huge consequence of the 5H attack level nerf. It's clear they want his best confirms to come from the new card uppercut, but given that requires a card to be out already, I just don't see how that can be consistent without meter, even with the new tracking property.

I don't know what they were thinking with Johnny. Most sane people see the character as top tier already, and he was almost indisputably buffed. The Zweihander hitbox change had a chance to be a nerf, but from what I could gather watching Johnny on Jonio's stream last night, Zweikasu is still free as fuck, and now the character has viable unblockable setups back to boot. With Raven and Chipp being nerfed, at this point in time, I don't see any scenario where he will not end up being the best character in the game.

On paper, Zato is looking pretty good in this patch. The changes don't revamp the character by any stretch of the imagination, but collectively, they help protect him from losing to tech buttons, confirm off some hits more consistently and effectively, and with the new Drunkard changes, possibly even get more situational conversions into knockdown and new routes in the corner. He should, for example, now be able to use Drunkard for a true knockdown punish on Bursts, and possibly more in the corner since new Drunkard apparently wall splats on a sufficiently high air hit in the corner. So, he's the same character, but now with some important holes and inconsistencies filled.
  • grandabxgrandabx Flameater Joined: Posts: 703 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Looks like Chipp can still keep you in the corner but it's a lot harder now.

I'm pretty sure they put it in the arcade first so they can get some more tweaks to see if their fixing still stands.
    I remember when people thought Bison doing the psycho crusher back and forth across the screen in SF:CE was cheap.
    GGXX: As long as I apply myself, I can win with anyone.
    The loketests are already over. This is the patch we're getting at home.
    I was disappointed not much Sin was being played, but I could see why.

I need to see his changes in action. The one I'm most curious about is his Elk Hunt change. It would be awesome if the change made it as valuable AA as 6P, though I doubt it'll be that good. But an option is an option.

Saw plenty of Raven. IAD to scratch seems a great avenue for damage and excitement, but the ball's trajectory changing REALLY hurt him. Pin-down is practically non-existent to a lot of the cast who have low-profile attacks (Ky, Sin, Sol, Jack-O, Faust, etc.) so his oki is going to need to be rethought. You could throw the ball from the air which throws it straight down but your landing recovery gets in the way of truly solid oki and pressure if the opponent has a fast button.

Those scratches into slam tho LAWD.

Ino is looking good. Johnny honestly looks no different except that his air slice has a much larger hitbox than it used to. I know his Bacchus Breath changed but I haven't seen it in action yet.
    M1X wrote: »
    SLAYER

Crouching K

So 2K can combo into itself now?

Like Psaro said - it's so the 2D connects more easily.
  • PVL_93_RUPVL_93_RU RIP Mahvel 2017-2017 Joined: Posts: 11,278
    https://www.destructoid.com/daisuke-ishiwatari-creator-of-guilty-gear-opens-up-about-arc-s-legacy-his-crazy-inspirations-and-the-switch-487855.phtml

Oh look, another game that might get casualized for no fucking reason

Why must every fighter nowadays try to be the new Street Fighter V?
    Fighting Game Mains:
    - USFIV - Fei Long
    - SFV - Ryu
    - UMVC3 - Akuma/Iron Fist/Ghost Rider
    - KOFXIV - Ryo/Geese/Kim
    - Xrd - Ky & Kum
    - DBFZ* - Trunks/Yamcha/Gohan
    - UNI[ST]* - Enkidu
    - Tekken 7 - Hwoarang & Kazuya
    *to be purchased
    PVL_93_RU wrote: »
    https://www.destructoid.com/daisuke-ishiwatari-creator-of-guilty-gear-opens-up-about-arc-s-legacy-his-crazy-inspirations-and-the-switch-487855.phtml

Oh look, another game that might get casualized for no fucking reason

Why must every fighter nowadays try to be the new Street Fighter V?

So yeah, I had read about this.
    I thought Xrd was already toned down which is why I got into it. Add to that, the great tutorial, the game's perfect.
    They already have a template to create a great tutorial, I don't know why toning it down would help.
    I had heard rumors of 2 types of blocking and 1 roman cancel... IDK, I don't think it's a good idea. If you want to make it different, but as complex, that's fine. But the part of Guilty Gear that keeps the balance fairly even and makes the game really great to explore is all the mechanics. I'd hate to see that go.

Someone on Twitter said that they think that was inspired by DBFZ's sales. I don't think that's the reason at all. Like, I think Daisuke wanted to lower the entry gap which is why he made Xrd like he did. Not sure though, idk.
  • PsaroPsaro Joined: Posts: 96
    I trust Daisuke and ArcSys that, in making changes to the game at a mechanical level, they will be smart about it and respect certain elements as sacred and fundamental to how the game, and the characters in general, function. That mostly means preserving the defensive mechanics, like instant block and FD. This is where you have the greatest potential to fuck up the game imo, since many characters have their offensive traits and options built with the universal defensive mechanics in mind. It would be a great shame and loss for the franchise if, for example, characters had to have their tools gutted because they would be too oppressive in an engine without certain defensive mechanics. Maybe my faith is misplaced, but Daisuke notes in that interview that they do actively think about how they can achieve an ideal balance between simplification and keeping the game intact for the existing playerbase, which has certain expectations about what a Guilty Gear game is and should be.

One thing that is ambiguous in that interview is when exactly we should be expecting an engine revamp; the next major installment (an "X4th"?), or the next expansion of Xrd? I'm leaning pretty heavily towards ArcSys getting ready to announce the next named entry in the Xrd series at EVO. It's been a while since Revelator first hit, and the fact that Guilty Gear is back on the Sunday stage implies they have a big announcement to make following the tournament. However, you could read this interview, and in particular, the statement: "after releasing Rev2, it's clear what we need to improve on" as an indication that they are indeed done with Xrd and are ready to move on to "X4th" for the sake of starting fresh with a brand new engine and name. Only time will tell, but I wouldn't bet on it. I think Daisuke cares about the game's story, and Xrd doesn't feel like it's finished yet in that regard, not to mention the fact that there remain many classic characters who have yet to make it into this game. It would be unexpected for ArcSys to make significant engine changes within Xrd, but then again, Slash to Accent Core was somewhat of an overhaul as well despite both technically being XX games, so it wouldn't necessarily be unprecedented. If they want to get rid of some systems, hopefully they start with Danger Time. I'm not really sure what else they could trim from the game without fundamentally changing some aspect of it. Maybe PRCs? Maybe simplifying how Tension is earned (Tension pulse and things of that nature)?

Also, I agree that DBFZ's success likely has nothing to do with this. If Daisuke were not interested in making the series as a whole more accessible, then Xrd would play a lot more like the old games than it does. YRC wouldn't exist, the RC slowdown wouldn't exist, and in general the characters would not have been toned down/streamlined as they were. So this is a philosophy that has been at the heart of GG's development at least since the inception of Xrd. They just want more people to play the game, for obvious reasons, and in their estimate, the reason more people don't play the game already is the entry barrier. A lot of the time, the barrier is imagined, in part due to the franchise's history and reputation of being an extremely demanding game technically. Xrd is not so bad in this regard, but it is still vastly more technical than most other contemporary titles, and as a result, some people who try it just don't stick, because they don't feel they can play it or simply don't feel like putting the time in, even with the learning resources this game has. Personally, I'm all for having more people around to play the game with, so some changes are fine, but only very limited changes. It goes without saying that having a larger pool of people to play with is only a nice thing if, after everything is said and done, you still feel like playing the game at all. That won't be the case for many of the current players if GG stops feeling like GG.
  • oodkoodk Joined: Posts: 343
    Don't tone it down. Keep it the same way