Hi! We are in the final stages of the SRK forum migration. Soon, we will lock the forums so we can transfer over all the discussion threads. Please expect a downtime of a few days while we implement the migration. Thx for your patience.

KOF XIV General Discussion - feat. "Gay Kick" Oswald, no first name Heidern, best waifu and Not Najd

1619620621622623625»

Comments

• JohnGrimmJohnGrimm A.K.A. JohnXuandou Joined: Posts: 4,340
    Loghorn wrote: »
    The American Sports Team has been long forgotten.

If there were to be a USA Team, it would be better to come up with three new characters (& better designs) in which people would be more fond of.

I've never met people who weren't fairly fond of the US Sports Team. A lot of people seem to like them in fact.
    You lack devotion! Enduring hunger and poverty is how you find the way!
  • ottomaticottomatic a totally real person who really exists, really Joined: Posts: 282

If there were to be a USA Team, it would be better to come up with three new characters (& better designs) in which people would be more fond of.

If memory serves correctly, the running gag is the USA sports team gets invited only for some team to beat them up and steal their invites (even in NGBC, Lucky's invite got taken by Shermie). I'm hoping they've kept tradition and Nak, Love, and Mui Mui show up with some crumpled papers they aren't even sure what to do with. So in a way nobody has forgotten the USA sports team, they just never keep their invites.

I'm somewhat for a new team USA but at the same time I do think Heavy D is an enduring design and don't want to just toss him aside (I also think Lucky is alright, but was never all that fond of Brian). I also don't want to do something ridiculous like toss Heavy D, Duck King, and Seth together as an official team just cuz they're black and have mohawks (does Seth's hair count as a Mohawk? Regardless, I'd rock that team at least as a for fun team if they all showed up in one game, I just don't want them grouped story wise). But now I'm rambling, and I've forgotten any other points I might've wanted to make.
  • rukawa_kaederukawa_kaede ゆうしょう よゆうッチ! MOTHAF**CKA!! Joined: Posts: 3,573
    They were too stereotypical

I guess snk thought they were more fit for a game like world heroes than kof
    jae hoon wrote: »
    Affinity is just a rouge program sent out by the bot program known as Emil.
  • Chizuru_Youko96Chizuru_Youko96 Joined: Posts: 313
    ottomatic wrote: »
    Heavy D is an enduring design and don't want to just toss him aside (I also think Lucky is alright, but was never all that fond of Brian).

I'm with you on the last one, the other two are reversed for me, i'm fine with Heavy D! but he's not my type, Lucky is just more fun to me.

I guess snk thought they were more fit for a game like world heroes than kof

Yeah, like KOF doesn't consist of chars from other series to begin with, and if we talking about stereotype, most of the cast during Orochi saga felt like that. Stuff happened, plan changed, like Whip was delayed till 99 and Geese or Oswald didn't appear in [insert entry name] and now they're coming back, combine that with SNK said they didn't have anyone who collect feedback, we'll just keep going around in circle guessing.
    One person is made up of two people.
  • BootyWarriorBootyWarrior One of the few people to play KOF on this site. Joined: Posts: 330
    Terry is a walking stereotype. All that's missing is him being a fat bastard.

KOFXIV: Iori/Ryo/Kim
    Characters on the side: Kyo, K', Yuri Kensou, Shun'ei, Maxima, Mature, Whip.
    NGBC: Mr Karate/Iori
    KOFXI: Ryo/Iori/K'
    SSVS: Genjuro, Haohmaru, Nakoruru, Mizuki, Rera, Yoshitora.
    DBFZ: Gohan Blanco/Future Trunks/Piccolo
    Alarm wrote: »
    I also listen to the 2001 OST daily.
  • EmerganceEmergance Joined: Posts: 96
    KensouADV wrote: »
    Oh, KOF is not at EVO this year. I expected that but what I did not was the board be demoted like that.

A dead game shouldn't be a main game at EVO. It was a good call. Hopefully KOF will find a new home in EVOJapan even though it had the 2nd lowest entry numbers over there.
  • Dark_TzitzimineDark_Tzitzimine Joined: Posts: 114

Ok, so we suddenly got a bunch of Heroines info.

Is a neat detail that each costume has its personalized portrait.

SUOKcvZ.png

Then a bunch of interviews with Oda about the game.

These are the bits I found more interesting from the one with TX
    Do you feel like this is a setting for more of a fighting game tournament audience, something like EVO, or is heading for a more casual – because I know this game is heading to the Switch as well – is it trying to reach and audience that hasn’t played fighting games before?

Oda: As you’ve played yourself, controls have been simplified, and we feel like that opens up the gates a little wider for people to know a game like SNK, but at the same time there are mechanics in the game that we feel are capable of it becoming a competitive fighting game that be played potentially in EVO or fighting game tournaments.

So one thing I notice is the control method doesn’t seem to lend itself well
    to something like fight sticks, but it does work with a controller. (Item use is relegated to the right stick.) Is that an intentional design, or is that something that can be changed for arcade sticks?

Oda: It was a design choice … so more people would be able to play this game without an arcade stick. As for the question about it being changeable; at this moment there is no option for the more traditional input option.

Culturally, where do you think this game actually fits in with a modern, more broad gaming culture? There has been backlash against games of this type that kind of flirt with sexuality as a driving force. Do you think this game follows in that, do you think it bucks that trend?
    Oda: There is exposure of female parts, but we don’t feel like it’s overly sexualized. It is there, but we want to push the acute aspect of things, the elegant-ness of the women, and we feel like we are able to cull the people that would bash this game for there being too much exposure.

Do you feel like that the game, with reference to sexuality, tends to respect
    the characters? Mai has always been a very sexualized character, but for example Leona hasn’t. She’s been a very stoic character, and yet in this game she’s wearing a catsuit in a thong. What would you say to a fan who has loved that character for years, but sees this and doesn’t jive with what they know of
    that fighter?

Oda: There’s a reason they’re wearing these costumes. They’re not just wearing these costumes because we wanted them to. There’s a full story behind it which we can’t really go into details about at this moment, but if you play the story I think our fans would better understand why they were put in this situation.

We made an effort to make sure the image of our characters will stay the same, even after people play this game.

So for the actual audience of this game, do you expect there’s going to be a lot of crossover with the King of Fighters main audience, or do you expect a lot of the players will be new to it?
    Oda: We’re going to do it by platform to platform. I think for Switch, as we mentioned earlier, since this is a brand-new title and the first (SNK) IP on Nintendo in a long time, we feel people that maybe just know about KoF or just know about SNK will pick up this game, so maybe a lot of new players. Players on the PS4 side, there are a lot of people that play KoF, and maybe there will be more KoF carryovers into this game.

The fighting game genre in general, in terms of competitive esprots, is changing quite a bit. I don’t know if you saw the EVO announcements, but KoF XIV wasn’t part of it, Marvel vs. Capcom wasn’t part of it, Dragon Ball FighterZ ended up being part of it. But do you think within a modern fighting game culture that there’s a chance for this game to latch on the more competitive aspects?
    Oda: Regarding the current EVO roster, since it is a touchy subject and it is other people’s works we can’t really say too much about it. As of this moment, we don’t have any plans for it to be at EVO, but I feel like it’ll be dependent on the fans to voice that they want this game to be at competitive events, and if that is the case then we’ll be more than happy to accomodate and be a part of the competitive fighting game community.

http://www.txclan.de/yasuyuki-oda-on-snk-heroines-sexualization-accessibility-and-competitive-audiences/

So basically the game is more of a party game than a proper fighting one. And SNK is quite aware of the controversy the costumes might spark.

This comment from SNK cracked me up
    DualShockers had the opportunity to sit down with SNK Heroines Tag Team Frenzy producer Yasuyuki Oda and designer Kaito Soranaka to ask how the team at SNK would approach DLC characters announcements for their upcoming fighting game. Soranaka-san’s reply indicated that they’re learning from BlazBlue‘s mistakes.

“Since BlazBlue Cross Tag Battle received bad feedback about how they announced their roster and DLC characters, we really need to think about how we are going to approach future announcements.”

As a follow up to the question, NISA Senior Product Marketing Manager Travis Shrodes added that there are no DLC announcements at this time, but they do intend to release a “full game” at launch on disc and cartridge.

https://www.dualshockers.com/snk-heroines-tag-team-frenzy-developers-learning-blazblue-cross-tag-battle-dlc-plans/

They also confirmed the game will have a story mode that is similar to XIII's in the sense that you'll get specific dialogue for each possible combination of characters you can choose.
    There will be a Story Mode offered in the game, but depending on the characters you chose, the conversations will change.”

https://www.dualshockers.com/snk-heroines-tag-team-frenzy-story-mode/

That if we count all the characters shown on the comic and the way the character selection screen is arranged, will be quite a bit of them
    BOtvAqB.jpg
  • ShinjojinShinjojin The quiet one Joined: Posts: 312
    edited February 10

That if we count all the characters shown on the comic and the way the character selection screen is arranged, will be quite a bit of them
    BOtvAqB.jpg

Oh thank god! For a while there, i thought it was mostly gonna be females that were in KOF14 a couple of judging from what that prologue comic/manga was implying.

*Prays for Charlotte and Rose Bernstein to make it in*
    Currently playing: Nothing at the moment

To One Piece fans:
    Check out my Rokushiki Robin project here: http://goo.gl/W134Uu (UPDATE 4/15/17)
    And the gallery here: http://shinjojin.deviantart.com/gallery/28979731
    Oda and SNK Heroines' Lead Designer having an exhibition Match

Plus a more in-depth analysis of the mechanics revealed so far.

https://www.hardcoregamer.com/2018/02/11/snk-heroines-looks-as-risky-as-it-is-frisky/289892/
  • ReijiReiji Joined: Posts: 277
    JohnGrimm wrote: »

I've never met people who weren't fairly fond of the US Sports Team. A lot of people seem to like them in fact.

Heavy D is the man !
    You don't deserve to know my name !
    More footage, also the win quotes seems to reveal a bit of the game's plot.

• OuroborusOuroborus plays 3s just to troll Joined: Posts: 7,283 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Awesome looking game. So when’s Xanadu?
    ssf4ae tier list regarding Gen:

D Proto: and where is Gen?
    oORYUOo: you cannot tier what you cannot see
    A New Chapter is up:
    IMG_20180213_185823.png
    Gotta say, this really remind me of Dragon Ball during Buu Saga
  • MageggMagegg Joined: Posts: 4,049
  • EmerganceEmergance Joined: Posts: 96
    edited February 14
    A New Chapter is up:
    IMG_20180213_185823.png
    Gotta say, this really remind me of Dragon Ball during Buu Saga

Summary
    • 3v3 tournament
    • It'll be a best 2 out of 3, 1v1 fights.
    • If you're down and don't get up before the countdown reaches from 10-0 you lose.
    • If you get sent out the ring you lose.
    • Round 1 Fights
    • Japan Team vs Yagami Team
    • Shun'ei is glaring at Kyo the whole time, Terry, Iori and K' notice this hence the 3 having a page of monologue.
    • Shun'ei keeps questioning if Kyo can fight him if he goes all out. He comments on what Tung told him saying that Kyo is the strongest man in KOF.

Japan Team will obviously win but the main event is Kyo vs Iori. They started this off with a bang, I just hope Nakoruru doesn't crash the party and interrupt what could be a good fight.
  • LarsMastersLarsMasters Passing Bystander Joined: Posts: 150
    Anyone remember Goku vs. Vegeta in Early Tournament Lineup back in Buu Saga? But this match between Team Japan & Team Yagami is way earlier than those main Saiyan’s Tournament Fight
    I'm just a gamer/troper whose just passing by. The answers lies in the Heart of Battle.

https://larsmasters.deviantart.com/gallery/
    New Interview with Oda and Soranaka. Man, Oda is quite the cheeky bastard.
    CFG: SNK HEROINES: Tag Team Frenzy includes some of SNK’s most popular characters. Were there other factors in deciding the game’s character roster besides popularity?

Oda: There are a good amount of characters, and some are not the most popular. We want fans to get a good laugh and surprises out of this title!

CFG: What motivated SNK to bring this title to the Nintendo Switch?

Oda: The Switch was released after development started. We felt the game was a good fit for the hardware. We talked to Nintendo and they were very cooperative and helpful.

CFG: Did the decision to release it on the Switch lead to the game having a more simplified control scheme?

Oda: No. The game is as intended, and there were no cuts because of the Switch’s hardware.

CFG: Do you hope that the game will attract newcomers, or do you expect it to mostly appeal to existing SNK fans?

Oda: Both. We don’t want to let down old school SNK fans, but we also want to appeal to a new player base.CFG: We noticed that the game has many idol-inspired elements such as stars and hearts. Is there any particular reason why you chose this particular visual style?

Oda: The setting of the game is very different compared to other SNK games. It has a different cute style, which is why we went with aspects like hearts and stars.

CFG: What are the challenges of providing accessibility without taking away complexity?

Oda: One of the first things is making simplified controls. They allowed for a big entrance for many different players. On top of these controls, we added more complex hardcore gamer aspects that would appeal to traditional fighting fans.

CFG: What other games have you enjoyed playing?

Soranaka: Monster Hunter World.

Oda: Dragon Ball FighterZ.

CFG: Do you have any favorite outfits out of what has been shown so far?

Soranaka: Kula’s Angel costume.

Oda: Yuri’s Matsuri costume.

CFG: Are there any developers you admire?

Soranaka: Naughty Dog.

Oda: NIS America.

CFG: As a follow-up to the idol question, do you guys follow idol culture in any way?

Soranaka: I love games with a lot of cute girls in them.

Oda: I like games with buff old men.

CFG: Are you interested in expanding the game via downloadable content in the future?

Oda: At this moment, we’re definitely thinking about it. Nothing is guaranteed, but we’re looking into it.

CFG: Who’s your waifu?

Soranaka: I have too many waifus.

Oda: Pikachu.

CFG: For this game’s characters specifically, are you looking at all of SNK history or just its fighting games?

Oda: Anybody is potentially a future character. We’re looking at all avenues. Any character as long as they’re a girl.

CFG: I’m a huge fan of Nakoruru, and I noticed that her hawk Mamahaha does not appear to be present. Is there any particular reason why she is not present such as game mechanics or balancing?

Oda: Mamahaha could not come this time. Nakoruru was not able to bring her into this new trip. However, Mamahaha does make appearances for Nakoruru’s projectiles.

CFG: Do you take a look at feedback from Western audiences as well as Japan?

Oda: We take any feedback from anywhere — even if it’s not from a human!

CFG: We’re huge fans of SNK, and we’ve been playing SNK’s games for over two decades. Are you more interested in creating sequels to established games such as Garou: Mark of the Wolves, or are you more interested in creating brand new titles?

Oda: We’re going to do both! We’re going to work on new and old IP.

Here's also a new strip from the tie in manga

A new Oswald Screenshot

• dn3000dn3000 Joined: Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    lol thats the gayest kick in the balls i've ever seen!
    The NESTS cast are now in LINE store:
    https://store.line.me/stickershop/product/1971891

And with that, Falcoon officially shoots up in rank to my top 5 SNK's artists.
    New Interview

https://wccftech.com/snk-heroines-tag-team-frenzy-interview/

I bolded the relevant bits.
    Why the focus on heroines specifically?

Oda: Because the female characters of SNK are very popular, we had the idea of creating something new that brought all of them together.

When did SNK HEROINES: Tag Team Frenzy begin development? How did the team manage to develop SNK HEROINES alongside King of Fighters XIV?

Oda: We’re developing it at the same time as the KOF XIV DLC. Our schedule is chaotic!

Is SNK HEROINES Tag Team Frenzy using the same game engine as King of Fighters: XIV?

Oda: We customized the KOF XIV engine for this title. The biggest change is displaying four bodies on-screen at once.

Not many readers may remember the original Neo Geo Pocket Color release of SNK Gals’ Fighters. How would you say your upcoming project ties into the NGPC title? Would you say SNK HEROINES Tag Team Frenzy is a sequel or more of a spiritual successor? Are there any mechanics that carry over from SNK Gals’ Fighters?

Oda: You could say that this title is the spiritual successor to Gals Fighters. We referenced Gals Fighters’ bright, comical style and the cute-but-sexy elements.

Will SNK HEROINES Tag Team Frenzy feature a single player story mode or arcade mode? If so, how long will it be?

Soranaka: There will be a story mode. Character interactions are different depending on the combination of chosen characters. We feel that our fans will be satisfied by the volume of the story.

Compared to the dozens of fighters in a typical King of Fighters roster, the lineup to SNK HEROINES Tag Team Frenzy is more compact and refined. How do you decide which fighters make the cut?

Oda: To make the costume and accessory customization a reality, we had to reduce the number of characters compared to KOF XIV. However, we also added the ability to change voices, so there is a lot of content.

Will we see heroines from other famous SNK franchises making their fighting game debut in SNK HEROINES?

Oda: Keep an eye out for more news on that soon.

What is your design focus for SNK HEROINES Tag Team Frenzy? Does your team want this to be something viable for tournaments or more for a casual audience to enjoy?

Oda: Because we are releasing on the Switch and PS4, we considered pad play while designing the game. Performing skills is simpler, but with items and gauge management, there is plenty of new content that can offer a challenge to past players.

Can you talk a little more in-depth about the spectator features in SNK HEROINES?

Soranaka: You can watch players in the same lobby. You can also cheer on fighters during battle by playing crowd sound effects.

How much character customization is available? Will there be the opportunity for new costumes and DLC after release?

Oda: We are currently planning DLC.

Soranaka: You can place accessories on different parts of the body. You can also adjust the position and size of each accessory, so the possibilities are endless.

If some of the costumes for those heroines are scantily clad, is there any worry of how they are perceived in today’s climate in Western counties? (Cowgirl Mai being one costume in particular).

Oda: The development team was very careful about that, but we heard a lot of requests from fans all over the world to “make it sexier!” I think the final product reflects that.

What is the targeted resolution and frame rate for the PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 4 Pro versions? What about Switch Docked/Undocked Versions?

Oda: We aimed for stable 60 FPS.

Thank you for your time.

Sounds pretty good.

Also, Storm Collectibles unveiled their Rugal at Toy Fair. Looks amazing.

sFkvkPW.jpg
    bFnsFE8.jpg
    e27KKZU.jpg
  • samirerresamirerre Joined: Posts: 173
    SNKHTTF's was very anti climatic for me, i expected something big like an upgrade to KOFXIV's character models
    becouse while i really REALLY like the new KOF, it's just underwhalming visually.
    There's no personality in these model's,no sense of impact when hitting besides the fast blurr.
    Even some of characters are still having thiere old boring costumes from 2 decade's ago.

Right now im kinda mahh about this new game thiere trying to pull off but im kinda ok with it too,i mean SNK need's money so they must reuse
    all thiere availble resources to keep on.
  • ottomaticottomatic a totally real person who really exists, really Joined: Posts: 282
    I made a Kensou vid after realizing he can hit with his air qcb+AC if you delay the cancel. It's a little like Robert's but Robert always hits the EX dive his follow up is dependent on the cancel timing whereas Kensou may not hit the EX dive if the cancel is too early, this find is only useful for Kensou's single meter combos or if you have him as anchor. Aside from that I realized he has cross under options for single meter mixups. Hope you all enjoy, and if this stuff was already known (I expect the second combo to be known as a two meter for non anchor) I guess I just don't see enough Kensou.
  • sunny84sunny84 Joined: Posts: 51

That's pretty good apart from the fact that he looks like he's wearing underwear over his pants like an 80's gymnast.

http://yunhokick.tumblr.com/post/171042144112/how-to-read-king-of-fighters-a-new-beginning

I guess someone already noticed this pattern with the previous adaptation so for those who want to be up to date and support the manga, please do.
  • ReijiReiji Joined: Posts: 277
    Still no news about the DLc chars ?
    You don't deserve to know my name !
    Oh Gatoray found a somewhat practical use to KOD's back A

Vanessa's Seiyuu is so cute.

And yet another SNK Heroines interview
    NI: I wondered whether we could start by asking why you decided to have an all-female roster?

YO: We saw that the popularity of SNK’s female characters has been rising around the world, so we wanted to use them to create a brand new title.

NI: Who is your favourite female fighter in SNK Heroines, and, to talk more broadly for a second, from other games in the fighting genre?

YO: Everyone.

Kaito Soranaka: Of the ones that have been released, I like Kula in the Angel costume.

NI: Who is your target audience for this game? Is it approachable for newcomers, or more suited to hardcore fans of the genre?

YO: Both, if possible. Experienced gamers will enjoy the mind games and new players can learn the simple controls.

NI: What inspired the decision to add this element of customisation?

YO: We thought this system would be enjoyed more in the world of SNK Heroines than the KOF series.

NI: I understand that there’s going to be around 14 characters at launch. Will we be seeing any DLC down the line?

YO: We are currently planning DLC.

NI: Is there any chance of seeing any other characters beyond those that have appeared in previous fighting games from SNK? Such as Eri Kasamoto from Metal Slug, perhaps?

YO: We’ve received many requests for that after the game’s announcement, so we are currently considering a number of things.

NI: It seems to me like this could be a testing ground for KOF XIV. What are the possibilities of that game seeing release on Nintendo Switch?

YO: I am very hopeful about the possibilities of the Switch. I think that, after this title, there will be a stronger push toward releasing KOF XIV on the Switch.
  • KensouADVKensouADV Joined: Posts: 472
    edited 5:12PM
    Eh, you have to pay to read the manga now? I mean, I would gladly pay for a printed translated version but I'm not at all fond of paying to read on my phone. I don't even like to read free stuff on my phone. Will this manga even get a printed relase?

Well, anyway, during another SNK Heroines interview, Oda said that there's a possibility of XIV being released for the Switch:
    NI: It seems to me like this could be a testing ground for KOF XIV. What are the possibilities of that game seeing release on Nintendo Switch?

YO: I am very hopeful about the possibilities of the Switch. I think that, after this title, there will be a stronger push toward releasing KOF XIV on the Switch.
    ottomatic wrote: »
    I made a Kensou vid after realizing he can hit with his air qcb+AC if you delay the cancel. It's a little like Robert's but Robert always hits the EX dive his follow up is dependent on the cancel timing whereas Kensou may not hit the EX dive if the cancel is too early, this find is only useful for Kensou's single meter combos or if you have him as anchor. Aside from that I realized he has cross under options for single meter mixups. Hope you all enjoy, and if this stuff was already known (I expect the second combo to be known as a two meter for non anchor) I guess I just don't see enough Kensou.
    I have a local tournament coming up next month so I'm stealing this.

EDIT:
    sFkvkPW.jpg
    bFnsFE8.jpg
    e27KKZU.jpg

Funny that being shown during Wonfes
    DWTPMvKVwAAm7zQ.jpg:orig
    DWTNC4CVoAAEEGN.jpg:orig
    DWTNBCAU0AAbFEz.jpg:orig
    DWTNEknUMAINzEF.jpg:orig
    Post edited by KensouADV at
    KOFXIV: Kensou/Athena/Nakoruru [Kyo, MuiMui, Sylvie, Whip] | KOF'98(UM): Kensou/Athena/Shermie [Kyo, Kasumi, (EX)Blue Mary, Brian]
    BlazblueCF: Taokaka [Rachel, Lambda, Tsubaki]
    DOA5LR: Tina [Mai, Sarah]
    DBFZ: Yamcha/Tenshinhan/#16 [Trunks, #18, Hit]