The Sanwa and Seimitsu FAQ

Comments

• RushingMonkeyRushingMonkey making panic around Joined: Posts: 77
    package arrived, so I can update about PS-14-GN (seimitsu standard screw-ins) vs PS-14-K (seimitsu transparent button, snap-in) ;)

the convexness of the plungers is the same, and the bezels are the same too (so it's not the "flat" bezel of the standard snap-ins - but this was also clear from the pics on akihabarashop tough). the surprise is that the height of the plungers is actually different. PS-14-K is lower, and it doesn't seem to have the typical "2 stage travel" of seimitsu screw-ins (which is well described in this thread).
    why this thread isn't stickied yet? :annoy: btw I have another n00by question :P
    The Sanwa JLF is the most popular Japanese style joystick. It goes against the standard levered microswitches found in nearly every other joystick manufactured by any company. The JLF microswitches are connected to a PCB with a 5-pin output. Comes stock with a square gate for 8-way operation but can be turned 45 degrees for 4-way operation.

I tried, but I couldn't figure out HOW to solidly snap the rescrictor in, when turned 45 degrees. Any suggestion?
  • kowalkowal smell like Sanwa Joined: Posts: 400
    image1674uo1.th.gif
    image3170mr5.th.gif
    Luftwaffe use only Suzo
  • MayhemMayhem Mostly Harmless Joined: Posts: 577
    I tried, but I couldn't figure out HOW to solidly snap the rescrictor in, when turned 45 degrees. Any suggestion?
    You should be able to separately rotate the centerpiece of the restrictor.
    Once I start I cannot stop myself
    cool, I didn't know it was possible to separate the central piece from the rest of the restrictor. thank you both very much and sorry again for the n00b question :D
  • leavealleaveal not in it for the $$ Joined: Posts: 602
    holy hell, i never noticed that. O_o thanks for pointing that out!
    "Get one that is programmed to never play rap/hip-hop/R&B."
    -Shin00bi, car stereo advice thread
  • 2hai2hai Joined: Posts: 171
    Well i always heard about the Sanwa Flash and stuff, and since this is a FAQ thread, I was hoping someone could answer questions of curosity. I know that the Sanwa Flash plays on optics and stuff rather than switches, but whats the real difference in like quality/build and playing with it. Would it might be similar to the P360 version.

Assuming TRNG is able to get Flash (fingers crossing), how would i go about it mounting/installing it. Let's say like a hrap or something. I know about the 5 pin, but the 3 pin for voltage, what do i do with this (as u can see, i'm not really bright with joysticks or electronics for the matter of fact.).

Thanx for any answers.
  • Paik4LifePaik4Life Team HnI Joined: Posts: 1,212
    I don't think mods with sticky this thread since they are trying to keep the stickies to a minimum. It would be nice for it to be included in the Essential Stick Building Thread or whatever though. Oh well, doesn't matter to me.

The Sanwa Flash is basically a JLF stick with a different PCB. You also have a few extra things like the 3-pin which is used for the 5V (to power optics), rubber ring, and clear plastic ring (both used between the PCB and the base of the stick).

Being the same as the JLF, it uses the same mounting plates and can be mounted the same exact way. It also uses the same restrictors/gates as the JLF.

I will probably add a Flash1 section to the FAQ soon, since Per is probably going to get the Flash1 back for us even if it is a limited run.

~Paik
  • SystemSystem Joined: Posts: 508,676 admin
    For Japanese sticks, it is highly recommended that you top mount the joystick unless your top panel is metal. In some cases, it is essential to top mount. To top mount joysticks, you will need to use a tool that can create a recessed area the size of your mounting plate at the correct depth. (For mounting plate dimensions please go to http://akihabarashop.com/products.html and thank TheRealNeoGeo for providing these measurements and Japanese parts!). Additionally, you will need to have a tool that will create a hole in the control panel so that the base of the stick can fit through and attach to the mounting plate from beneath the control panel.

I'm looking to make my first stick using a sanwa JLF-TP-8YT. Never made a joystick before so really very new to this.

I WAS planning on using a 1/2" thick surface as the top surface of my base (probably using MDF), looking at the pics of the sanwa sticks and mounting plates it appears that the plate sits on top of the main components (of the joystick) with the stick coming out from that. So in 1/2" thick board would I be attaching the mounting plate to the underside with the stick obviously sticking through a hole?

That seems to be how to mount the stick, but this would leave very little shaft (after going through 1/2" of board) sticking out the top.

If this is the correct way of mounting the stick is it possible to use 1/4" board with a circular hole for the stick and another 1/4" board underneath it with the hole for the stick/mounting plate?
    Your post was kind of convoluted but basically if you top you have to make a hole through the top panel that is are enough to fit the base of the joystick. In addition to that you must make a recess around that hole so that the mounting plate will sit inside of it. When you're done with the top panel it should look something like this:

http://s10.photobucket.com/albums/a141/Paik4Life/Stainable%20Case/?action=view&current=a50489d0.jpg&refPage=&imgAnch=imgAnch8

When you put the JLF in that area, the mounting plate and joystick will fit in that area and the mounting plate will be BELOW the top panel. NOT sitting on top. It should not even be flush with the top panel otherwise it will be sitting a little too high.

http://s10.photobucket.com/albums/a141/Paik4Life/Cap%20Hustler/?action=view&current=d87a9ef2.jpg&refPage=&imgAnch=imgAnch3

Hope that is helpful. If you want, you can read my other thread and find out more, but I do not suggest you follow it since it's a more advanced method of building sticks that only TheRealNeoGeo (you could call him my mentor, heh heh) and myself use, but there might be some other helpful information for you.

~Paik
    Cheers Paik, sorry if I wasn't very clear with my question, but you've given me the answer I needed anyway.

edit* How do you make a recess? is there a particular tool or method for doing that? (sorry I did electrics at school instead of woodwork)
    http://www.shoryuken.com/forums/showthread.php?t=111273

That's my journal/tutorial on how I build my sticks. You don't want to follow it honestly because it's too advanced for you at this stage. But there is a section for mounting the joystick. Check there. If you have any ore questions post up again either here or in that thread.

~Paik
    That's my journal/tutorial on how I build my sticks. You don't want to follow it honestly because it's too advanced for you at this stage.

OooooOOO get you! :rofl:

Sorry I had already found that thread and had already answered my own question. Should of posted back to say i'd managed.

So far i've got my sanwa stick and buttons ready and waiting and have cut my MDF to size this morning, found a friend that owns a router and will be over this coming week to make my recess for the stick. Cheers again for the help, much appreciated.
    T5 stick mod question:

T5 stick mod question:
    Can I put in a sanwa LB30N instead of JLF joystick
    Yes, you can just replace the stock balltop on the T5 stick with the LB30N bat top.

~Paik
  • CynnikCynnik Joined: Posts: 82
    On the US T5 stick, can a seimitsu ls-32/ls-32-01 be installed? i noticed the mounting area is not the same as the hrap series as the hori stick is not mounted on with a plate so would i need the ls-32 flat mounting plate or the ls-32-01 s-shape mounting plate? or no mounting plate? thanks.
    Yes, you can mount an LS-32. You will probably have to drill new holes in your mounting plate or the brackets on the T5 since I dont' believe they will align. You will want an s-shaped plate since the LS-32 has a shorter shaft and you will want it to mount as high as possible. Since you will want the s-shaped plate, I would recommend just going and getting the LS-32-01. It comes stock with the s-shaped plate and with a PCB and wires harness which make things easier anyway.

~Paik
  • [Roz][Roz] Joined: Posts: 78
    Just tought on hoping by and give fat props to you Paik4Life. Kickass guide. Many thanks.
    www.ptfighters.com, home to the Portuguese fighting game community.
  • SlªdeSlªde Joined: Posts: 68
    How is a Sanwa BAT-top going to compare to say a Happ competition?
  • SlªdeSlªde Joined: Posts: 68
    Anyone?
    Ah sorry, missed your question. I can't honestly compare them due to the fact that it's been a long time since I've played on a US style stick. In terms of size, they are roughly the same, but the stick won't feel like a US style just because of the bat top attachment obviously. It'll still feel like a Jap stick for all intents and purposes. If you're worried then I say to buy it. It's not that expensive and you can always take it off if you don't like it.

~Paik
    I can't let this thread die...I put too much time into making it! Bump it up!

~Paik
    It has been a good thread so far. Sanwa was on top for a while, but Seimitsu got up with a dragon punch and hasn't relented since.
    I just put a LS 40 in my HRAP, is that as good as ths LS 32? It seems a bit tighter to play with from what I can tell.
    Updated the first post to reflect the new catalogues.

Well, LS-32 is more often used and is said to be the "best" of the Seimitsu line, especially for fighting games, but it's all opinion.

~Paik
    So now that Sanwa has the new button color with the black beazel , is it now possible to make Seimitsu button colors with sanwa buttons?
    Yes, in a sense. You can obviously change out the plunge from any other 30 mm button and have yourself a Seimitsu like button. I've talk to Per about this, and he is going to see if Sanwa would be willing to do more/all colors with the black bezel. That would be nice. The only bad part that remains is that it's snap-in. No black bezel screw ins.

~Paik
  • Onslaught2000Onslaught2000 WHEN'S MAHVEL.........2?! Joined: Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    I was curious.

For the Tekken stick, would Sanwa OBSN-30 Buttons and a Sanwa GT-Y Octagonal Gate fit into the stick? A friend is looking to mod his stick with better buttons and a octagonal gate. So I was suggesting these, but was'nt too sure if they would be compatible.
    The octagon gate only fits onto JLF series. The stock T5 stick is not JLF. It's not even Sanwa. So, the answer is no.

No real arcade buttons will fit in without modification. But if you do the correct modding, yes they will fit.

~Paik
  • Onslaught2000Onslaught2000 WHEN'S MAHVEL.........2?! Joined: Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Alright, I was'nt too sure so I just wanted to get that cleared up, well, the button question anyways. I just completly forgot that the gate only fits into the JLF series and did'nt take that into consideration. D'oh!

Oh yeah, great thread!
  • BigEd80BigEd80 Jap Stick Hustla :) Joined: Posts: 449
    I noticed on both catalogs that the layouts between 1p and 2p are different...

the 1p look like HRAP1 while 2p like HRAP2..how come?

Actually you're wrong, HRAP1 layout, also known as console layout is found to be on Super Neo 29 Cabinets if you make the cabinet an 8 button cabinet, so it's Neo Geo Layout. HRAP2 layout is well the other cabs (versus city, blast city, naomi, and cyberlead?) layouts.
    Eddierizzle representin H-town, TX
    3rd Strike (Ken, Akuma, Chun-Li)
    Tekken 6: BR Nina all the way
    SF4: Ken and Sagat
    GGXX/Reload/Slash/AC (KY)
  • MayhemMayhem Mostly Harmless Joined: Posts: 577
    Actually you're wrong,
    Actually he is not. Take a look at any Astro City-format 2L12B panel manufactured by Seimitsu or Sega, you'll see each player's button layout is rotated differently. For panels manufactured by Sanwa the difference is much less noticeable though.
    Once I start I cannot stop myself
  • buyproductbuyproduct Chemist for Hire Joined: Posts: 1,035
    Quick and easy question:

On a LS-32 stick (the one without the pcb) which tab is the ground? The top one or the bottom one.
    "weekly 8 on the break tournaments >>> cali majors " skyet
    "Lol, the break is pretty serious when the real players show up, because everyone is a killer! " Dr. Chaos
    8 on the Break weekly thread: http://forums.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=194801
    Either is fine.

~Paik
  • J-rideJ-ride OG Member Joined: Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    How is a Sanwa BAT-top going to compare to say a Happ competition?

The semitsu ls32-01 feels much more like a comp than a sanwa. Granted I've only played one once (sanwa) , but you can definitely feel the corners on a semitsu, the only diff between the comp and semitsu is that because semitsu has such a short path around the stick, the diagonals are deep, so take Ryu for example, if you push down, diagonal, and forward the red fireball will come out because the diagonal is so close to down, so you do the motion diagonal forward. Wierd at first but after you get used to it, its pretty nice. So after having a jap stick for a few months I can play on an american just fine, but I really like how precise they are, and how quickly they respond.
    Woman was created for our destruction, and it is from her we inherit all of our miseries.

Aramis from The Three Musketeers
  • buyproductbuyproduct Chemist for Hire Joined: Posts: 1,035
    Either is fine.

~Paik

I knew that was true for the buttons but I didnt know it was true for the actual joystick.
    "weekly 8 on the break tournaments >>> cali majors " skyet
    "Lol, the break is pretty serious when the real players show up, because everyone is a killer! " Dr. Chaos
    8 on the Break weekly thread: http://forums.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=194801
  • xen0dudexen0dude Joined: Posts: 28
    The octagon gate only fits onto JLF series. The stock T5 stick is not JLF. It's not even Sanwa. So, the answer is no.

No real arcade buttons will fit in without modification. But if you do the correct modding, yes they will fit.

~Paik

hmmm in this thread, it was confirmed that the octagon gate can fit in a T5 stick with a little mod on the gate

http://www.shoryuken.com/forums/showthread.php?t=117885
    You know, I totally forgot about the jumpsuit mod and all the sticks it works for. Thanks for pointing that out! Sorry for the lapse in intelligence iAHVB!

~Paik
    I've been lurking these forums for a while and I'm thinking of building a custom stick. However, I can't decide whether to put in a Sanwa or Seimitsu stick. Now, I know it all comes down to personal preference, but it would be very helpful for me if anyone could compare the feel of the JLF and/or LS-32 compared to the stick on a Hori SC2 joystick, since I own one.

Any comparisons on Sanwa/Seimitsu buttons vs the buttons on the Hori would also be greatly appreciated.
    3 quick questions...

i know you need a 1 1/8" bit to drill holes for the 30mm buttons, but what size bit for the 24mm buttons?... i assume it doesn't matter if they are screw in correct?

also, do you need a special tool to tighten down the screw in sanwa buttons?

Thanks in advance