Chun-Li Thread

epsilon_epsilon_ helpfulJoined: Posts: 3,582
Post up combos, strategies, matchup specific stuff, and any fun gimmicks youd like to share.
i don't care what the critics say, violence is a beauuutiful thing!

Comments

• ramzaramza hmmm Joined: Posts: 2,481
    so yea, c.mk is gay.
    Are YOU still single?!?!?
    R.I.P Reggie Etheridge

He tortured me...with his awfulness
  • epsilon_epsilon_ helpful Joined: Posts: 3,582
    meaty c.mk, c.rh is the best tactic in the game lol.
  • SystemSystem Joined: Posts: 508,676 admin
    You should check out NKI's great guide for Chun-li
  • NKINKI Mashers Joined: Posts: 1,788
    meaty c.mk, c.rh is the best tactic in the game lol.
    I prefer meaty cr.Forward, cr.Fierce. It dizzies like mad.
    It was a fun ten years.

http://nki.combovideos.com
    Thanks to BlazeD and Preppy for hosting!
  • skankin garbageskankin garbage ARE YOU OKAY!? Joined: Posts: 961
    DF+RH Shenanigans questions

Are DF+RH Shenanigans the most solid wakeup tactic you can do with Chun-Li? I just feel like while it works against most people I play, if I were to play another person who was good at SF2, they would probably know how to handle it.

- When are the good times to use DF+RH Shenanigans?

- What's a better, more solid alternative to wakeup games that keeps the pressure on, if any?

- What's a good tactic for wakeup when you can't use DF+RH Shenanigans?

- Any characters that DF+RH is largely ineffective against?
    http://jamieobeso.blogspot.com/ - My own personal insights about games; totally inspired by David Sirlin and James Chen.

"Jesus would be MAD if he had to fight Ivan Ooze."
    "*I'd* be mad if Jesus had to fight Ivan Ooze.
    Are DF+RH Shenanigans the most solid wakeup tactic you can do with Chun-Li? I just feel like while it works against most people I play, if I were to play another person who was good at SF2, they would probably know how to handle it.
    This is true. I never do DF+RH against Mattsun (crazy Japanese N.Ken player) because he reveral DP's it every time. Don't ask me how.

Also, there are certain characters like Honda where you don't want to do it, because you have much better options. (Just throw a meaty fireball against Honda. If he buttslams through it, punish him. If he doesn't, keep him zoned with more fireballs.)

Also, you should never do it against Blanka, because he can reversal ball (either ball will work), and because he's airborn, he will not be knocked over, but YOU will be. That's bad.
    When are the good times to use DF+RH Shenanigans?
    -When you're opponent doesn't know which way to block it.
    -Against Dhalsim and Dictator, because they have no way to reverse it (unless Dic has super).
    -Against the characters that it can cross up: Ryu, Ken, Guile, Hawk, Cammy, Fei, DeeJay, Boxer.
    What's a better, more solid alternative to wakeup games that keeps the pressure on, if any?
    Against Boxer, I prefer safe jump j.Forward, then make him guess between cr.RH or throw. That, or meaty cr.Forward, cr.Fierce.
    What's a good tactic for wakeup when you can't use DF+RH Shenanigans?
    Against some characters, I like to simply let them get up and see what they do. Especially characters with good reversals, like Ryu, Ken, Cammy, etc. People want to do that reverasal, so let them whiff it, then punish.
    Any characters that DF+RH is largely ineffective against?
    I would almost never do it against Honda, and definitely never against Blanka. Whether or not you should do it against Gief/Hawk is also questionable. You do get free block damage with the lightning legs follow-up, but it's REALLY bad if you mess up, because you just closed the gap, which is doing his job for him. You want to stay away.
    It was a fun ten years.

• Footsy BebopFootsy Bebop Joined: Posts: 326

Whether or not you should do it against Gief/Hawk is also questionable. You do get free block damage with the lightning legs follow-up, but it's REALLY bad if you mess up, because you just closed the gap, which is doing his job for him. You want to stay away.

Just wondering, exactly how open are you to attack after you do d/f rh?
    I was trying this tactic on a sim player and I wanted to follow up the d/f rh with like a crouch forward to set up throwing options, but it seemed like he would yoga noogie me before the crouch forward would come out. Was I just mis-timing it? or is chun open to attack for a split second after this move? Because it seem to me that if you were to do it to zangief and tried to follow it up with lightning legs, he would just SPD you.

Also, I don't have any confirmation of this, just my belief, that Chun's short lightning legs seems to come out faster than her roundhouse lighting legs, is this true? Like for example I know short jump in into short lightning legs is a combo, while short jump into roundhouse lightning legs is not.
    Like any meaty, it just depends how well (how meaty) you do it. If you time it well, so that it hits as late as possible, you have a big window of time where they are stuck in block stun but you can move around. If you time it poorly (so that she hits while she's still up pretty high), you get thrown for free.

Note: I would never do D/F+RH immediately followed by lightning legs, because there is a very good chance that you will get backwards lightning legs, which sucks. I always do meaty D/F+RH, slight pause, cr.Forward xx lightning legs. You only get one or two ticks of block damage, but at least you're guaranteed not to get backwards lightning legs.
    It was a fun ten years.

After D/F RH i generally hold D/B mk then lighting legs If i land backwards chun will do the flip kick backwards over him (Generally the player will try an attack and chun will backflip over him and get a free hit.)
    What are the properties of Chun's upkicks/her flashkick maneuver?
    I'm pretty sure her short and forward upkicks can stuff most jumping attacks if you time it late, like Sagat's uppercut but not quite 100% sure about this. I don't think her upkicks will reverse some of Sim's drills, the one's that are angled meaty into her. Do her upkicks have invincibility frames?

Just wondering, does anyone know if her forward upkick has more horizontal range than her short upkick. If so, I would think the forward upkick would be the better anti-air. Does her short upkick have a quicker animation? Is it the better wake up reversal?

How about her roundhouse upkick? It seems like it doesn't hit until it gets up in the air. Not very good for anti air? I know you can use it for extra hits after her super, but does the roundhouse upkick have any other uses?

Also another random Chun question, I remember watching Otochun and when he would be crossed up on wake up he opted for spinning bird kick. I tried doing this, SBK against a crossup on wakeup, but can't get it to come out. Are you supposed to do the SBK in the opposite direction?

And another random question, against Rog, when you knock him down, you should be able to get a free jump in right? his shoulder flashkick thing shouldn't be able to hit a jump in attack on wake up if you time it right, right? What would you opt to use to jump in on Rog on wake up? jump forward? jump short? jump strong? Do you get to throw him for free if he blocks?

Wow and another question, I keep editting this post as I think of them. Against Sim, are Chun's lightning legs a good reversal for his drills. Sometimes it seems like he can drill through her lightning legs and sometimes it doesn't. Are her short lightning legs better for anti air drills?

Thanks
  • popoblopopoblo Joined: Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    hey NKI, i was wondering what the input properties of lightning legs were and what's the best hand method to use to get them out quickly? i see videos of ohnuki doing low forward, lightning legs no problem, but i can't get them out quickly. i'm just piano-ing like it's cvs2, but i'm not having much success. i'm still sifting through the huge ST thread and i looked in the wiki, so hopefully i'm not being repetitive.

also, i wanted to download some ST stuff (particularly the Dhalsim's anti-air vs. Chun's j.Short video) from the www.nki.combovideos.com page, but all the links were down.

thanks!
  • gridmangridman Drill Joined: Posts: 3,221
    Pop - I thought that you couldnt piano in ST like you can in ST and have to hit the button (like hk) 5 times consecutively.
  • DeskDesk ハイパー・ディーサイド・デスク Joined: Posts: 705
    yeah you have to hit one strength and one strength only to get lighting legs. Just mash on forward and it should come out. Alternatively if you're very clever, you could piano that one single button.
  • BoggleMindsBoggleMinds Joined: Posts: 335
    yeah you have to hit one strength and one strength only to get lighting legs. Just mash on forward and it should come out. Alternatively if you're very clever, you could piano that one single button.

Oddly enough, in piano there's a technique to repeatedly tap a key by using three fingers + thumb. It results in less strain, and you can press faster, than if you just use one finger.
    "My first visit to an arcade changed my life. It was such a sensational experience. The fact I got to play with total strangers and connect with them through the game enthralled me." --Daigo Umehara

www.youtube.com/Guoguodi
    GGPO Handle: Gizzle
    Since NKI hasn't responded to this yet, I'll try to report what I believe is his method.

I think he hits just one button (forward I guess) with 2 alternating fingers (index and middle probably). I'm surprised it's not in the wiki, or maybe the thing is down like it usually is...
    yeah pianoing using three fingers on one button is what I was refering to. I really wouldn't bother including your thumb though, the extra effort wouldn't be worth it I don't think.

EDIT: above I'm guessing that's what most people use but using your first, second and third finger is definately more effective if you can do it.
    Some Chun Questions:

First, no one really answered my question above. Are Chuns upkicks a 100% anti air if timed late like Sagat's uppercut? Because it seems like it gets hit sometimes and sometimes it works.

Second in this clip, at 5:55 in Chun does downforward roundhouse move, the flip kick move, into super. How does he do this? With a stored super, doing downforward and roundhouse should bring the super out not the flip kick.
  • polaritypolarity I'M BACK BITCHES Joined: Posts: 1,841
    Some Chun Questions:

First, no one really answered my question above. Are Chuns upkicks a 100% anti air if timed late like Sagat's uppercut? Because it seems like it gets hit sometimes and sometimes it works.

Second in this clip, at 5:55 in Chun does downforward roundhouse move, the flip kick move, into super. How does he do this? With a stored super, doing downforward and roundhouse should bring the super out not the flip kick.

I swear in some other vid in that series I saw the same Chun do walk toward, low foward, immediate super. I was wonderign the same thing as you about that.
    that you can do if you do neutral low forward and then quickly go back to towards and hit kick. The case I'm talking about the move that comes out downforward and roundhouse should make the super come out.
    When I first watched it, I imagined that the Chun player did this: charge back, d+f roundhouse, back, forward (for stored super), then kick.

After view it a few times, it seems that the Chun player (after jumping straight up the last time) does a standing jab with some joystick wiggling (which would seem to indicate that he was storing the whole super motion at that point), then walks forward a little, does the d+f roundhouse without activating the super, then does super; if this is the case, then I'm as boggled as you...

A third option might be walk forward (with no super stored), d+f roundhouse then immediate charge back, then the entire super motion (f, b, f) then kick. I'm not an expert on the amount of charge time Chun needs for her super, but it's probably unlikely that she has enough charge time after only her d+f roundhouse.
  • jchensorjchensor Salty Chen Joined: Posts: 1,934 admin
    Chun Li can store her Super. Charge it, do Forward, Back, and then hold Forward. As long as you never let go of Forward, it'll stay charged. If you hold D/F and hit Roundhouse, she does the Flip Kick (can't do Super while Crouching). To activate the Super, just hold Forward and hit Kick.

Honda can do the same.

- James
    http://jchensor.blogspot.com

"We don't stop playing because we get old. We get old because we stop playing." -- Doyle Brunson

"Every time you win, it diminishes the fear a little bit. You never really cancel the fear of losing; you keep challenging it." -- Arthur Ashe

(AV art obtained from here: http://meatbun.us/blog/?p=162)
  • polaritypolarity I'M BACK BITCHES Joined: Posts: 1,841
    Given that he refers to the stored super in his post, I think it's pretty obvious that he already knew about that. :confused:

Problem is, this:
    If you hold D/F and hit Roundhouse, she does the Flip Kick (can't do Super while Crouching).

is incorrect. Chun can activate stored super from a (d/f) crouch.
  • jchensorjchensor Salty Chen Joined: Posts: 1,934 admin
    Sorry, didn't read carefully enough. Completely my bad. My job has been slowly deteriorating my brain. Still, no excuse, and I do feel a bit foolish. Apologies. ^_^

Just that I could swear that I've done the Flip Kick into Super before without needing to do any tricks, so it never struck me as something more complex. If the super does get activated while holding Down/Forward, I'm not sure how I did it myself.... bleah. I'm sure someone like NKI can answer the question better than me. Especially given that it's 4:45 a.m. where I'm at right now and I'm still at work.

- James

"We don't stop playing because we get old. We get old because we stop playing." -- Doyle Brunson

"Every time you win, it diminishes the fear a little bit. You never really cancel the fear of losing; you keep challenging it." -- Arthur Ashe

(AV art obtained from here: http://meatbun.us/blog/?p=162)
    You can charge the super during the flip kick and do it pretty much as soon as it's finished. I haven't actually watched the vid because for some reason it won't load but I'm guessing that's what happened.

EDIT: just watched it, he definately could have charged after the neck breaker or he could have just charged back, downforward+RH, back, forward...
    yeah chun can super from offensive crouch also if she stores it. which is why you can walk up, offensive crouch, then super through their attempt to stop you walking up.
  • geadomgeadom Reversal Counter Hit Joined: Posts: 1,085
    Im having trouble antiairing Sagat j.lk, among other things..

Any Help?
    "He´s different, he´s special." Pick up your spear, the only thing you can do is your best
  • Onslaught2000Onslaught2000 WHEN'S MAHVEL.........2?! Joined: Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Hey guys, still kinda a ST newbie over here. Anyways...

Was watching the advanced tutorial video on CCC Vol.2 and I remember the part on the instant overheads. They mentioned how Chun's headstop has so much priority that it can stuff something like a Shoryuken. But watching it in the video, a reversal SRK came out so I was surprised that it did'nt even hit Chun-li despite how much priority the move had. So was wondering if the reason why it hit was because of the angle of move when it landed. And also, in that case, would her headstomp beat out a reversal Tiger Uppercut from O.Sagat?
    Chun's instant overhead only works against DP's if you do it while you're on your way up.

And yes, it would beat a Tiger Uppercut also.
    It was a fun ten years.

• geadomgeadom Reversal Counter Hit Joined: Posts: 1,085

Any Help?

NKI,can you please help me? Also, what are Chun anti-airs, and how are each used?
    "He´s different, he´s special." Pick up your spear, the only thing you can do is your best
    straight up jump hk is really good for jumpins from the front. huge priority, good speed/range, and knocks down. if u getting crossed up block i guess. upkicks can be used sometimes too.
  • Hol HorseHol Horse a.k.a. Fugo ~ イタリアの強大なユリアン Joined: Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG

Any Help?

in my (little) experience, very late LK spinning bird kick works quite well against that.
    gooby plz

Any Help?
    Sorry I missed this before.

Sagat is doing j.Short against you? Why isn't he doing j.RH?

At any rate, your jump straight up Short should beat everything he has. Or if you have meter, make him land on the super for all six hits, then follow up with upkicks.

For more info, see the Wiki: All About Chun Li
    It was a fun ten years.

• Onslaught2000Onslaught2000 WHEN'S MAHVEL.........2?! Joined: Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Yeah, nice to know the Wiki is *FINALLY* back up agian! Hella good stuff!
  • K17020K17020 Joined: Posts: 133
    Im having problems doing stored super thing is there special timing or is it like doing the super but not pressing kick ?
    Do the towards, back, towards motion but HOLD the towards part.

And as long as you don't stray from the up-towards, towards, or down-towards direction too long, you can just hit kick and the super will pop out.

Keep the stick pointed to their side of the screen.

Wait.. are you playing Anniversary Edition?
    Im having problems doing stored super thing is there special timing or is it like doing the super but not pressing kick ?

if your playing hyper, hold start when you select Super turbo mode (you'll hear a different sound). If you don't she can't store her super.
  • K17020K17020 Joined: Posts: 133
    im playing the CCC2 Version
    ^^you just do the motion, hold forward and don't press kick.

Something that I've been meaning to ask for ages. Comboing into super, what are the rules for doing this with chun? I've been playing ST for a while now and the 2 characters I have the most trouble with are dic and chun. I've never once combo'd dic's super and I can combo chun's about 50% of the time from a crouching forward. Weirdly though, I can get boxer's most of the time. Anyway my question, how come sometimes it cancels and sometimes it only seems to link (and not combo)? I feel like I'm doing the exact same motion but half the time it doesn't work.

Here's what I'm doing. Store super, :db: :mk: , :r: :3k: . What is the timing to pull it off everytime?
  • chun_li1chun_li1 Joined: Posts: 147
    I just went through NKIs Chun wiki.

Following comment got my attention :

"Anti Fireballs

If you are stuck in the corner, you can do jump back Spinning Bird Kick over fireballs to build meter. Be careful though, because if he see's this coming, he can deley his fireball and make you land on it."

Huh?! You only wanna use this in the corner?

Nobody bothered to do a straight up jump air SBK mid screen?!

I know the execution is very tricky (you could make a mistake and do jump forward air SBK, land right in front of opponent), but in the old days I used to do this a lot.

Huge meter gain, plus you can still attach Lightning legs when you land, eg after slow fireballs, for additional meter until the next fireball comes.

Great taktic against people who want to stay full distance, shoot you dead and where you turn the tables once you get full meter first.
    Space Nazis Incoming : http://www.ironsky.net/
    The timing for neutral jumping air Spinning Bird Kick is just too wacky for me to do consistently, so I never try it, but yeah, if you're good enough to get it all the time, go for it!
    It was a fun ten years.