Weeklies Canceled

Jon SlaytonJon Slayton Consistently InconsistentJoined: Posts: 4,305
Well guys, it's been a pleasure running these weeklies for the past month or so and I want to thank everyone that's entered. Turn out has been dropping though and I've been getting pretty busy lately, so I just don't think they're worth the effort for me to run anymore when I could be doing other stuff. If someone would like to pick up the legacy and start running some weeklies their self, you're more than welcome to. The site I used for brackets is http://www.bracketmaker.com/ . Thanks again everyone, and happy brawling! I may return to run them again one day when I'm less busy.

FINAL RANKING BATTLE POINTS:

9 - xSAMURAIx
4 - DSquirrel
4 - Orochi Zoolander
3 - The Damned
2 - Yeb
1 - Swoops
1 - BeanSRK
"You know that sinking feeling when Zero hits you?" - MTP

You can only be as good as those you copy, those who you seek to emulate. If you want to be great then be yourself.

Comments

• Septimus PrimeSeptimus Prime Grammar Fhrer Joined: Posts: 5,722
    I have a time conflict with the first tourney, but I just wanted to say that you can't save replays for anything exceeding 3 minutes.
    Beef: It's what's for dinner.
    Beer: It's what's for right fucking now.

Fool me once, shame on you.
    Fool me twice... fuck you.
  • Zan-kunZan-kun Joined: Posts: 293
    Great time for my computer to die. Can't participate in any of these for awhile... Otherwise I'd like to note the lack of replays as well.
    Aka Malajax on GGPO and elsewhere.
  • omfgomfg Joined: Posts: 2,028
    I want to be in as many as there are
    see ya buddy

even if you die, I'll kill you... :badboy:
    <3 don't let life fool you. everything is black or white
  • Jon SlaytonJon Slayton Consistently Inconsistent Joined: Posts: 4,305
    Well, I wanted to be able to do matches like most serious tournaments do with 3 stock but I guess replays are important too so, let me change some of the rules around for you guys.
    I have a time conflict with the first tourney, but I just wanted to say that you can't save replays for anything exceeding 3 minutes.

Would Sunday work for you? I have another tournament to go to in person next saturday but I could run it sunday if that works for everyone.

Edit scratch that, that's Mother's day, we'll just have to stick with Wednesday unless someone else wants to run it saturday.

You can only be as good as those you copy, those who you seek to emulate. If you want to be great then be yourself.
  • HogoshaHogosha SHUT UP AND TAKE MY GEMS. Joined: Posts: 1,217
    I'll try to get in these as my schedule allows. Having them at 10 (CST) at night helps me out greatly with this, so I might be getting in more of these than I figured I would. Then again, with Mario Kart out...I might not. ;P

Edit -- I'm retarded and thought it was PST and not EST. ^^; Have fun, guys.
  • The Mad KingThe Mad King Hyou~ Joined: Posts: 262
    Might be able to make the 8:00. I also need to get a feel for how my Olimar plays.
  • SystemSystem Joined: Posts: 508,676 admin
    GGs Samurai. Sorry about my connection problem I'll try to fix them by the next online tournament.
  • Septimus PrimeSeptimus Prime Grammar Fhrer Joined: Posts: 5,722
    It's all good. I'll just sit this one out and see how it goes. I do wish you would change the rules so that you can save replays though.
    Beef: It's what's for dinner.
    Beer: It's what's for right fucking now.

Fool me once, shame on you.
    Fool me twice... fuck you.
    Alright, we just finished our preliminary "warm up" tourney to get a feel for things. I think 2 stock, 3 minutes is just too short. A lot of the time it ended in sudden death with me at like 0 % and the other guy at 100, it was getting pretty frustrating. I forgot to save most of my replays sadly, but I think 3 stock 7 minute time limit would probably be best.

If everyone unanimously agrees that they want the matches to be quicker for the sake of replays though, I'll have to give in. Lemme hear what you guys have to say about it.

• BigJonStud12BigJonStud12 Great Stick of DOOM Joined: Posts: 97
    I'm going to try my best to be apart of the tournament on May 7th. If I am able to, I will definately record all of my matches (hopefully). Also, xS A M U R A Ix, if you need any replays converted, you can send them to me and I will convert them if you like. I will just need about a week to do so.
    "Luck is for idiots."

- Dr. Doom
    DOOM #3
    What program do you use for conversion? I might need to pick it up myself.

What program do you use for conversion? I might need to pick it up myself.

I use Xilisoft Video Converter 3. It is free to download, and will convert the first 5 minutes if you do not pay for it. If you do in fact pay for it, you can convert videos past the 5 minute mark. However, I first have to use a capture card to capture the replays, then I convert them to .wmv in order to edit them and upload them to YouTube.
    "Luck is for idiots."

- Dr. Doom
    DOOM #3
  • NomacNomac Joined: Posts: 8
    I'm kind of new on this forum, so if I want to participate in the Ranking Battle, I only have to go on the chat #srkbrawltourney on Wednesday 8PM EST to give my name right oO I am just asking to not like show up on the channel that day and like losing my time since I didn't give my name or I cannot participate for some reasons...
    Evil or not, die !
  • JAMMARJAMMAR Like "grammar" Joined: Posts: 453
    Before, I could never make it to the SRK tournies because it was always on Tuesdays... I should be able to go to this one.

I think 3 stocks is great, but I doubt matches are going to go to 7 minutes unless we turtle like crazy.
    Looking for costumes, decals, and hats to increase skill pm me plz
    I'm kind of new on this forum, so if I want to participate in the Ranking Battle, I only have to go on the chat #srkbrawltourney on Wednesday 8PM EST to give my name right oO I am just asking to not like show up on the channel that day and like losing my time since I didn't give my name or I cannot participate for some reasons...

Yeah that's all you gotta do, pretty simple.

Jammar: Yeah I've been playing with 7 minutes on it probably is a bit much, it's mainly just to prevent run away forever though, so I think i'll take it down to 6.

• YerocYeroc Lost in thought Joined: Posts: 7
    I'ma try and remember to show up for this. ;)
    Find myself beside a stream of empty thought,
    Like a leaf that's fallen to the ground,
    And carried by the flow of water to my dreams
    Woken only by your sound.
    - Wishbone Ash "Leaf and Stream"
    Sweet, hope you can make it out Corey.

• HogoshaHogosha SHUT UP AND TAKE MY GEMS. Joined: Posts: 1,217
    2 Stock 4 Minute is another option we've been doing at our weekly ranbat here in town. We used 2 stock 3 minute for recording purposes at first but we went to time in 3/4 of our matches. So we upped it to 4 minutes and it's been going pretty smoothly ever since with only about 1 in 5 matches (at most) ending in time, and that's usually just when we get two people who are both pretty even in skill and are afraid of getting anywhere near the other person.

It's an option if you want to cut down on time. Otherwise, I'd recommend 3 stock 7 minute. For some odd reason, the 6 minute mark REALLY creeps up on you when you least expect it. Most matches won't go over 6, and the few that do almost always get decided before 7.
    Alright, I'll take your advice and keep it on 7 minutes then. I really hate games ending in time when one person clearly has a lead, it's unfair to them. I just want to make sure that the tournament keeps on going, so I gotta have some sort of time limit >_<

• Corner-TrapCorner-Trap Troll Harder Joined: Posts: 2,683
    I'll play, but I need to join that IRC channel though. I tried joining it before, but I got confused along the way, so I'll try again. Also, why must winner keep character? And you didn't specify if the loser is allowed to change anything.
    I'll play, but I need to join that IRC channel though. I tried joining it before, but I got confused along the way, so I'll try again. Also, why must winner keep character? And you didn't specify if the loser is allowed to change anything.

Winner keeps character has always been the rule in like.....every tournament for every game I've ever played. If you didn't have that, you'd have people flip flopping around on what character to play all day. Or losing, counter picking ROB on luigi's mansion, then switching back to something else after they win. The whole idea of counter picking doesn't work without that rule >_<

To join the IRC channel, it's pretty simple, here's a step by step guide on the lazy man's way to do it:

1) Go to this website: http://www.efnet.org/
    2) In the nickname field, fill out whatever you want for your IRC name.
    3) In the channel, type #srkbrawltourney, or #srkbrawl if you want to join the regular brawl match making chat room / general discussion stuff.
    4) It should load and you'll be in the chat room, ready to talk. Sometimes it takes a moment for the list of players to load on the right side, but don't worry, everyone can see you and you can talk, even if you can't see who's in there.
    5) If you want to be in both rooms at once, typing /join #srkbrawl or whatever channel you want will open an alternate tab that you can flip to and monitor both channels.

I'll go specify the character keeping stuff in the rules.

• kesh!kesh! It's all up to Y O U Joined: Posts: 524
    I'm down
  • The DamnedThe Damned Hope: You can't believe in it Joined: Posts: 10,965 mod
    God, I really do have horrible timing when it comes to everything. If this was today, I could make it, but tomorrow I have work and I'll only be able to around an hour at best.

Oh well, I still haven't gotten a new controller (though I hope to fix that today), so it's for the best.
    "Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."
    - Oglaf's Vanka in "Conviction"

"Freddie experienced the sort of abysmal soul-sadness which afflicts one of Tolstoy's Russian peasants when, after putting in a heavy day's work strangling his father, beating his wife, and dropping the baby into the city's reservoir, he turns to the cupboards, only to find the vodka bottle empty."
    - P. G. Wodehouse
    I, once again, MAY be able to make it for Wednesday. Hazard Suit Olimar plans to kick asses.
    Winner keeps character has always been the rule in like.....every tournament for every game I've ever played. If you didn't have that, you'd have people flip flopping around on what character to play all day. Or losing, counter picking ROB on luigi's mansion, then switching back to something else after they win. The whole idea of counter picking doesn't work without that rule >_<

To join the IRC channel, it's pretty simple, here's a step by step guide on the lazy man's way to do it:

1) Go to this website: http://www.efnet.org/
    2) In the nickname field, fill out whatever you want for your IRC name.
    3) In the channel, type #srkbrawltourney, or #srkbrawl if you want to join the regular brawl match making chat room / general discussion stuff.
    4) It should load and you'll be in the chat room, ready to talk. Sometimes it takes a moment for the list of players to load on the right side, but don't worry, everyone can see you and you can talk, even if you can't see who's in there.
    5) If you want to be in both rooms at once, typing /join #srkbrawl or whatever channel you want will open an alternate tab that you can flip to and monitor both channels.

I'll go specify the character keeping stuff in the rules.

I'll follow those steps to join the IRC channel, but the whole "winner keeps character" thing is not a Smash tradition. We've already gone over this in the "Evo Brawl Rules Discussion" thread, and Smash uses the advance slob system. Winner picks their character first, then loser picks their character. This allows the winner to change their character, but the loser still gets to counter pick.
    I'll follow those steps to join the IRC channel, but the whole "winner keeps character" thing is not a Smash tradition. We've already gone over this in the "Evo Brawl Rules Discussion" thread, and Smash uses the advance slob system. Winner picks their character first, then loser picks their character. This allows the winner to change their character, but the loser still gets to counter pick.

That'd work if we didn't play online and could see who the other person was selecting. I mean, I don't really care, we can do it either way, this one just seems simpler / makes more sense to me. It's up to the community though.

• Cash MooneyCash Mooney Штука в СШA Joined: Posts: 17
    sign me up plz
    Мастер Лингвист
  • omfgomfg Joined: Posts: 2,028
    when does it start

nm, apparently I cannot read
    see ya buddy

even if you die, I'll kill you... :badboy:
    <3 don't let life fool you. everything is black or white
  • OromanOroman .... Joined: Posts: 584
    Not sure how far I'll get, but sign me up.
    Turn out is looking pretty good for this so far. Hope to see you all tonight at 8. Shit's gonna ROCK!

That'd work if we didn't play online and could see who the other person was selecting. I mean, I don't really care, we can do it either way, this one just seems simpler / makes more sense to me. It's up to the community though.

Well it's your tournament and I'll play by your rules. So if I win I'll keep my character. I'm about to go sign up for that IRC channel now, I keep putting it off but I really need to get working on it.
  • AlphaDragoonAlphaDragoon ._. Joined: Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    So it's at 5:00 for us on the West Coast? I may join this one.
    Spirit Juice on a new SE game:
    "If it's not Xenogears Episode IV I don't give a fuck what Square-Enix does."
    damn it, I cannot sign up to that IRC channel no matter how many times I try. I keeps giving messages saying I'm unable to connect to the server.
  • The DamnedThe Damned Hope: You can't believe in it Joined: Posts: 10,965 mod
    damn it, I cannot sign up to that IRC channel no matter how many times I try. I keeps giving messages saying I'm unable to connect to the server.

Yeah, efnet didn't work for me either during the first tournament.

Just download mIRC and connect from there. Much, much easier. Even with the trial version.
    "Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."
    - Oglaf's Vanka in "Conviction"

"Freddie experienced the sort of abysmal soul-sadness which afflicts one of Tolstoy's Russian peasants when, after putting in a heavy day's work strangling his father, beating his wife, and dropping the baby into the city's reservoir, he turns to the cupboards, only to find the vodka bottle empty."
    - P. G. Wodehouse
    I'm getting way to many headaches today. First I can't sign up to that IRC channel to play in the tournament, now all three of my game systems are fucking up and won't connect to my router. I'll catch next weeks tournament.
  • SystemSystem Joined: Posts: 508,676 admin
    bean here

ggs to everyone who could make it. i try to play next week as well

p.s.
    swoops you should change your name to stomps
    Yeah, GGs to everyone. Definitely trying this again next week.
    So how does everyone feel about the next one being items on? Any suggestions, complaints, etc etc?

Items on is fine for me. I'll just have to use someone besides Olimar. Curse his lack of glide-toss distance...
    First, I like to say good games to all who showed up on Wednesday night. I look forward to next week's tournament. Now for the good stuff. I finally uploaded all my matches from Wednesday's tournament. They can be found here:

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=62A4AFBF743A9979

This is also the place where I will be uploading future weekly tournament videos.
    "Luck is for idiots."

- Dr. Doom
    DOOM #3