Metaknight Infinite Dimensional Cape

MrWizardMrWizard Supreme CommanderJoined: Posts: 22,135 admin
Any attempt to use this move as a stalling tactic will result in a immediate disqualification.
Shoryuken.com

Comments

• SystemSystem Joined: Posts: 508,676 admin
    how can you tell the difference between someone using it to stall and someone using it approach who is waiting for a safe opportunity to attack?
  • MrWizardMrWizard Supreme Commander Joined: Posts: 22,135 admin
    sure, engage the enemy, since the move is punishable if blocked it should be fine. stalling is when no contact occurs between players where the said player has zero chance to hit them.
    Shoryuken.com
    so, just for clarification, if I use this move to attempt an approach and retreat when my opponent shields is that still stalling?

:edit:

what I mean is retreat while still invincible because I notice my opponent is shielding, so I don't actually use the attack at the end.
  • Jon SlaytonJon Slayton Consistently Inconsistent Joined: Posts: 4,305
    It's almost impossible to do anyway, I wouldn't worry about it much Wiz. I'd be impressed if someone COULD stall with it
    "You know that sinking feeling when Zero hits you?" - MTP

You can only be as good as those you copy, those who you seek to emulate. If you want to be great then be yourself.
  • LordLockeLordLocke #1 Toughest Joined: Posts: 115 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    so, just for clarification, if I use this move to attempt an approach and retreat when my opponent shields is that still stalling?

:edit:

what I mean is retreat while still invincible because I notice my opponent is shielding, so I don't actually use the attack at the end.

I do believe he means use the move as it would work without the extender glitch at all- If you start extending the length of the Dimensional Cape's duration (and it'll be obvious that you are, considering the mauling you have to inflict on your controller to do it) yer gone, regardless of reason for attempting to extend it..

Zero tolerance is about the only way to enforce it at all without more testing, and since Evo's in three weeks, there isn't time to give that kind of experimentation.
    Meeh...
  • alphazealotalphazealot Smashboards Owner Joined: Posts: 302
    Or, we could not ban it, and ban it if it proves to be a problem/is really broken. No one has ever used this in tournaments and it was only discovered a few days ago. This seems premature. At the very least, there should be some sort of time limit on stalls instead of an unclear "excessive" stalling note. What about wall infinites? Can those go all the way to 999% and then even when you do when do you have to stop?
  • CeirnianCeirnian Legendary Prosecutor Joined: Posts: 350
    Or, we could not ban it, and ban it if it proves to be a problem/is really broken. No one has ever used this in tournaments and it was only discovered a few days ago. This seems premature. At the very least, there should be some sort of time limit on stalls instead of an unclear "excessive" stalling note. What about wall infinites? Can those go all the way to 999% and then even when you do when do you have to stop?

I agree with AZ.
  • alphazealotalphazealot Smashboards Owner Joined: Posts: 302
    As a note, I've never seen anyone even perform this longer than about 10 seconds. Its hard as hell to keep up the timing. Does that mean no one will be able to do it indefinitely? Probably not, but at present no one can, meaning after about 10 seconds they come out of the dimension and are completely hitable. Please inform me how that is stalling?

More importantly, I'd like to know how something that has only been out for days can somehow be banned. This is a new game and a new technique, and this new technique hasn't even been showcased or used in a single tournament. Banning it under the nondescript term of "excessive stalling" makes no sense, as does applying that term to the many other stalls that are in the game.

Do any of these arguments sound familiar to anything else we've debated over? I guess things really can be removed without play testing.

This has got to be a new precedent for SRK. Banning something as a stall all of literally 2-3 (first public posting was July 14th at 4:27pm EST) days after its discovery. I'd take a gander that most people reading this thread don't even know how to perform the technique.

Under this rule, you may dimension right next to someone for 10 seconds, leave the dimension state (likely because its hard as hell to keep up), try and hit them, and then reenter the dimension state for another 10 seconds. Rinse and repeat.
  • CyntalanCyntalan Joined: Posts: 8,341 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Amazingly, I'm gonna have to agree w/ AZ at this point. There's no proof that this is broken, yet. Let's see if someone actually spends the time to master it AND can take it the point of winning matches. Until then, it seems far too immature of a reaction to go and ban such a glitch. Not to mention that keeping this kind of thing up for any significant length of time will get tiring. Kinda like CapCom's infinite grab in MvC2. Sure, stall for the rest of the match and win. Your arm's dead now, good luck continuing.
    ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ PRAISE HELIX ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

"NO! NOT LIKE THIS!" - Random audience member, Evo 2k9 SC4 finals. Go Hilde!
    "You are a weird, adorable little man, OZ." - Vynce
    "I violated marc but we definitely cool now." - dre37k
    It's not almost impossible when you use both thumbs on the c-stick and your pinky to hold down on the control stick (sitting the controller on your lap and using it like arcade buttons). nor is it almost impossible if you switch to the wiimote/nunchuck setup and map your c-stick function to your d-pad.

This will be a very interesting tournament.
  • DanielRGTDanielRGT Owner of Ram Gay Treasures Joined: Posts: 637
    I think this will definitely be showing up, Wiz already said you could use it for tactical advantage. The move itself isn't banned, it's just a pre-emptive strike to people out there learning how to absolutely destroy their thumbs to keep this going for minutes, which is impressive in itself.
    No Wiz, I will not be greyhounding to EVO.

---http://www.jamisontrumpets.com : My Website
    ---http://www.youtube.com/FRArcade/ : Final Round Arcade Stream Match Videos
  • nasirnasir Whup dat ass. Joined: Posts: 511 mod
    Wiz already put down his decision.

If he changes the rulings or whatever, he'll let everyone know.
    If you have any other legitimate concerns regarding this send a PM.
    Thanks to Quiche for the whupass avatar
    Tatsu: i trapped myself today http://tinyurl.com/mnprjp
    Tatsu: i was like wtf. who is that girl in the bottom left?? and i was like oh fuck
This discussion has been closed.