RJ-45 Multi Console Cthulhu Arcade Stick Tutorial Ver.2

Comments

• shrimpnoodlesshrimpnoodles duh Joined: Posts: 428
    did you update the firmware to 2.0? because the older firmware requires you to hold left (if I remember correctly) before plugging in the controller to activate xbox 1 mode.
  • SystemSystem Joined: Posts: 508,676 admin
    Yeah. I thought it might be that after searcing the forums for answers. Unfortunatly it hasn't worked.
  • ToodlesToodles da Fetus of Gawd! Joined: Posts: 10,778
    Sorry man, there's nothing special about the Xbox cable versus a regular USB cable except the funny end. If your stick will come up on a PC or PS3 properly, then it absolutely HAS to be a wiring problem in the Xbox1 cable.
  • speedsterharryspeedsterharry Joined: Posts: 786
    Since the switchcrafts cannot be found in Europe, to the best of my knowledge, I used my router to fix the Neutrik connector to my wooden box.

DSCN5917.JPG
    The recess has been widened with a 45° router bit to ease access to the unlock button.
    I left about 5 mm of oak for the Neutrik to sit

DSCN5920.JPG
    Damn, the connector is not exactly seated parallel to the sides :-/
  • SystemSystem Joined: Posts: 508,676 admin
    Sorry man, there's nothing special about the Xbox cable versus a regular USB cable except the funny end. If your stick will come up on a PC or PS3 properly, then it absolutely HAS to be a wiring problem in the Xbox1 cable.

Cheers Toodles, I'll give it a go with another cable.
    Does it matter that I have the RJ45 cable hooked up to row 2 on the Cthulu for the Xbox1 cable and the USB output for PS3/PC?
    Cheers Toodles, I'll give it a go with another cable.
    Does it matter that I have the RJ45 cable hooked up to row 2 on the Cthulu for the Xbox1 cable and the USB output for PS3/PC?

Nope. But it would be best to test out the RJ-45 with a RJ-45 -> USB cable. That a way, if the Rj-45 USB cable worked on a PC/PS3, then you'd know for sure the problem was with the RJ-45 -> Xbox cable. If the USB cable didn't work, then you'd know the problem was on the INSIDE dealing with the RJ-45 jack and the wiring between the jack and cthulhu.
  • gahrlinggahrling Better safe than Hori.. Joined: Posts: 3,968
    Since the switchcrafts cannot be found in Europe, to the best of my knowledge, I used my router to fix the Neutrik connector to my wooden box.

Yeah, I have the same problem trying to find the Switchcraft's. You can get the Cat6 feedthrough versions in the UK, which seem a tad cheaper than the Neutrik Cat6 jacks, but that's as close as I've got.

Alternatively, you could try a Switchcraft 15pin D Sub. The advantage to this is that you'd use SVGA plugs instead of RJ-45 plugs, and they offer a broader range of console support than a RJ-45 jack can - such as Neo-Geo.

Nice work on the routing by the way - shame it didn't go quite to plan, but kudos for the attempt.
    Yeah, I have the same problem trying to find the Switchcraft's. You can get the Cat6 feedthrough versions in the UK, which seem a tad cheaper than the Neutrik Cat6 jacks, but that's as close as I've got.
    I wouldn't mind a link or two :) (I searched farnell's catalog but didn't find anything vaguely close to switchcrafts. Oh yeah, there's Neutrik's passthru but at 30 EUR a piece, it's just too much money wasted - damn, their shit is gold-plated or what ?)
    Alternatively, you could try a Switchcraft 15pin D Sub.
    I went the neutrik route because there're designed to be plugged/unplugged often, I don't think this is the case with SUBDs, where you're supposed to secure the connectors with screwdrivers....
  • gahrlinggahrling Better safe than Hori.. Joined: Posts: 3,968
    I wouldn't mind a link or two :) (I searched farnell's catalog but didn't find anything vaguely close to switchcrafts. Oh yeah, there's Neutrik's passthru but at 30 EUR a piece, it's just too much money wasted - damn, their shit is gold-plated or what ?)

http://www.keene.co.uk/electronics/multi.php?mycode=KLC118

Or just search for "Neutrik Cat6" on eBay.

I went the neutrik route because there're designed to be plugged/unplugged often, I don't think this is the case with SUBDs, where you're supposed to secure the connectors with screwdrivers....

AFAIK unplugging a D-Sub multiple times should be as stable as the 8 pin DIN method. I've seen a few people here (including Toodles) saying that RJ-45 connections aren't always 100% solid for them, but not having used any other route yet I can't personally say so either way.
    The UPCB used D-sub 15's, and never failed on me. I made sure to get d-sub hooks with thumbscrews so I could always screw down the cables without tools and still have a rock solid connection. The downside is that making cables with a d-sub end is much more expensive than crimping an RJ-45 end on.
  • myktekmyktek Joined: Posts: 14
    anyone know someone that will do this mod for me... I'm just horrible with wiring
  • TruckasaurusTruckasaurus SUNDAY!SUNDAY!SUNDAY! Joined: Posts: 1,230
    :woot: YEAH! I was looking for the pinouts and the wirings for the newly added systems (saturn, 3DO, et al)

Thanks Rtdzign! :encore:
    Truck-0-Saurus Truck-Stop!
    http://www.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=198554
    Raising Awareness for Optical Joysticks:
    http://www.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=126941
  • Casper0878Casper0878 Joined: Posts: 90
    The following pictures dont match up

LookAtThisMess.jpg

WiringEthernetColorsTo_GV_Row.jpg

in the first picture, the green and the blue stripped wire are going to the imp, but in the second picture every wire is going to the Cthulhu board. which way is correct??
    The following pictures dont match up

in the first picture, the green and the blue stripped wire are going to the imp, but in the second picture every wire is going to the Cthulhu board. which way is correct??
    Both. :)
    The green and blue stripped wire shown in the second picture goes to the imp. The other six go directly to the RJ-45. The outgoing D+ and D- from the Imp joing with the other six at the rj-45, like in the first diagram.
  • Casper0878Casper0878 Joined: Posts: 90
    Both. :)
    The green and blue stripped wire shown in the second picture goes to the imp. The other six go directly to the RJ-45. The outgoing D+ and D- from the Imp joing with the other six at the rj-45, like in the first diagram.

so would i be safe to assume that the only time you wire all 8 of them to the MC Cthulhu is when you are not using an imp board??
    If you want to be able to play xbox360 through the RJ-45 jack, you need an imp connected between the RJ-45 and MC, and six of the RJ-45 wires will be connected directly to the MC, and the other two will go through the imp. If you don't want to play xbox360 through the RJ-45, then all eight columns get wired directly to the eight pins of the RJ-45.
  • rtdzignrtdzign Joined: Posts: 5,176
    Go with Picture 1 if you are dual modding with an Xbox 360 board with an imp.

Go with picture 2 if you a using a MC Cthulhu by itself.
  • kubebotkubebot Large Member Joined: Posts: 1,270

Their CAT6 stuff has a different RJ-45 receptacle that could fit better into wood cases (24mm hole). The square backend that accepts the cable is removable for wiring, so if the case were thin enough it should work. Right now they are pretty expensive though (~$30?).

2Ph4Xm.jpg
    Also if you wanted to use a Neutrik ethercon you would have to use a special "push-pull" locking version.
    http://www.neutrik.com/us/en/dataconnectors/210_t2_1217768028/NE8MC6-MO_detail.aspx
    And I've not found these for sale online, but then again I didn't look very hard.
  • drunkninja42drunkninja42 My Little CvS Joined: Posts: 1,697
    I suggest that you take a multimeter and triple check the pins to the RJ-45. Also I would boot the system up with the cord already in the system and then plug the ethernet jack end into the stick. NESes are prone to reset if you slightly move the system. Also double check this instructable by Toodles himself. I suggest that you just forget about the purposes of the wires and the similarities between Nes and Snes circuit design and treat them like totally different systems. Just strictly think of the pin numbers to the G-V rows.

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-To-Install-an-NES-cable-onto-a-Multi-Console-C/

Ha, yeah, finally got my hands on a multimeter and did some continuity tests and found a slight difference in the cable my initial observations didn't catch. My NES cable works perfectly now. Now to try for a Saturn one....
    I tried to solder the MC Cthulhu to the pins of this Neutrik connector:

210_t2_364779420.jpg

Unfortunately, soldering wires to pins which are not tied mecanically to a PCB resulted in lots of shorts. In the course of events, one of the Neutrik pins was also completely FUBAR. Is my Neutrik connector good for the bin or can I buy individual special pins for this connector. Does anyone know ?

I changed this Neutrik to one of those recommanded by rtdezign (the one with terminal strips soldered at the rear - more expensive OK but so much more convenient !). This morning, I had the pleasure to see that neither the MC Cthulhu nor the madcatz PCB that was soldered to it was fried. Losing both PCBs (not even mentioning wiring) got me a little nervous, I must confess :sweat:
  • ViciousXUSMCViciousXUSMC Joined: Posts: 165
    Ha, yeah, finally got my hands on a multimeter and did some continuity tests and found a slight difference in the cable my initial observations didn't catch. My NES cable works perfectly now. Now to try for a Saturn one....

Making me want to go to the fleamarket and find a NES :D

Even though I can emulate the games on my PC just fine, something about jiggling NES cartridges, blowing on them and cleaning with rubbing alcohol makes the real thing so much more fun :D

I have a lot of the NES classics on my virtual console on the wii as well.
  • KazujiroKazujiro PSN ID: Kazujiro XBLive: Kazujiro SRK Joined: Posts: 1,631
    Dude, thanks for putting all this info in an easy to follow tutorial. Thanks to this thread I did my NES, SNES & Saturn cables without any difficulty! (except I had to sand down some of the insulation on the NES/SNES wires for them to fit into the RJ45 plug)
  • TwinkleTwinkle Mecha Otaku Joined: Posts: 284
    Would a usb to RJ-45 adapter like [URL="http://cgi.ebay.com/ETHERNET-10-100-NETWORK-ADAPTER-USB-LAN-RJ45-CARD-/190368894214?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c52decd06]ETHERNET 10/100 NETWORK ADAPTER USB TO LAN RJ45 CARD - eBay (item 190368894214 end time Jul-27-10 07:14:18 PDT)"]this[/URL] work work also?

I just don't feel like taking off the female b on a working chtulhu.
    Measure twice, cut once.
  • KazujiroKazujiro PSN ID: Kazujiro XBLive: Kazujiro SRK Joined: Posts: 1,631
    Would a usb to RJ-45 adapter like this work work also?
    ETHERNET 10/100 NETWORK ADAPTER USB TO LAN RJ45 CARD - eBay (item 190368894214 end time Jul-27-10 07:14:18 PDT)

I just don't feel like taking off the female b on a working chtulhu.

No. If you RJ-45 mod the Cthulhu, you can leave the female B alone.
    On the boards that I used, I took off the USB B sockets just to see how hard it was to remove, but I didn't have to. I then did it twice for symmetry.

That USB adaptor, I'm pretty sure it won't work for what i'm guessing your thinking.
  • TwinkleTwinkle Mecha Otaku Joined: Posts: 284
    That USB adaptor, I'm pretty sure it won't work for what i'm guessing your thinking.
    Okay thanks, I was just pondering if there was a way to convert a usb 4 to an 8 pin socket externally.

Now for another subject, will these fit the holes so you can just crimp & plug these?
    Measure twice, cut once.
  • NerrageNerrage STICKS for JOY Joined: Posts: 3,349
    I have to ask, where's a good place to get the RJ45 boots and jacks without having to buy like packs of 50? After all, I'm only gonna be using about 4 or 5.
    Try looking for small electronics hobby stores on yelp.com
  • weezy58weezy58 Lost TE in mail... Joined: Posts: 432
    Ok, I'm having some diff. with wiring the GC extension wire I received from ebay. It's a 10ft. white extension, here's the link 10 ft controller extension cord Nintendo Wii/Gamecube - eBay (item 260627147414 end time Jul-28-10 09:35:11 PDT). Now I've tried wiring the 3 top rows to the RJ45, but doesn't seem to read.

I've updated the firmware on the MC and evened wired my other one in reverse thinking I might have wired it backwards, but didn't wort either. My PS3/USB ones work fine.

I'm wondering if it's the extension itself or just me? Here's a pic
    36387_109321512451519_100001210110868_76250_7377603_n.jpg

36387_109321515784852_100001210110868_76251_457072_n.jpg

Anyone got some suggestions? Got some errands to run, but if anything, I'll try the bottom row of green, blue, and yellow as a last resort.
  • TortaTorta A piece of Cake Joined: Posts: 732
    get a multimeter and a thin wire.. there's a youtube video i think for the gamecube

VAMOS
    MCCthulhu >> all

KOFXIII: Ash/King/Vice
  • NerrageNerrage STICKS for JOY Joined: Posts: 3,349
    Try looking for small electronics hobby stores on yelp.com

Pah. Live in too small of a town for anything even remotely close. Looks like I can get enough for 50 for about $10 shipped on amazon, though. Hmm. I'll just experiment around, lol. Ethernet port to something random like micro USB so that I can use my camera on a wired connection. Lol.
    For some reason GC wires always give me the most problems. I always get it backwards, then get the crimp pins backwards. It is best to take a break from it for a few hours and start over from scratch with a fresh mind.
    Thanks Torta & rt, will give it another shot when I get home. Will post results
    Ok, I'm getting too frustrated with this! Rt, you got a pair of 6ft. GC RJ45 nodded wires up for sale?
    At the moment no, I don't have any GC wires around. Try posting in the trading forum for one.
  • WinchesterWinchester Quick On The Trigger Joined: Posts: 822
    I was looking around the forum to find out if there were any variants of the RJ-45 ports that do not require screws to configure into the case. Reason being is that i'm receiving a case that I would prefer not to have drilled around and would like to find another way to add the jack in and secure it without damaging the case.
  • spenzaliispenzalii Joined: Posts: 2,020
    I was looking around the forum to find out if there were any variants of the RJ-45 ports that do not require screws to configure into the case. Reason being is that i'm receiving a case that I would prefer not to have drilled around and would like to find another way to add the jack in and secure it without damaging the case.

I think I saw on one of the older threads where someone had used a Keystone RJ-45 jack and cut a hole in a button plug. That said, I'm not sure how you could have the RJ-45 and not drill some sort of hole in the case, unless there was already a 24mm hole in said case for you to use
    And we build BALLER SHIT! (c) Matskat
    you should look at post 3 you can use a Din 8 connector and route the cord through a notch. Remember to label that pinout and tape it to your stick.
  • GeorgeCGeorgeC Joined: Posts: 2,850
    Quick question because I looked through two RJ-45 tutorial threads and could not find this!

I have plenty of leftover Cat5 cable and want to use what I have for two more MC Cthulu mods this coming year... I'm obviously going to use the RJ ends first...

How to do I order the remaining Cat5 wires into new RJ-45 containers? IE, what's the pinout order for the color of the wiring within the cables?

EDIT:

NEVER MIND! Found it here at http://www.swhowto.com/CAT5_Ch1.htm

Seems like this should be in the RJ-45 tutorial... Just in case...

For those of us who are nuts enough to make more than two multi-system controllers!
    CAT5PlugColorsT568B_2.gif

Yep this picture is type b. It's the same just turned to the side.

WiringEthernetColorsTo_GV_Row.jpg