Modding SSF4AE for PC (NO DLC UNLOCKS!)

hunterkhunterk Joined: Posts: 2,237
This thread is for discussing the technical aspects of modding SF4AE. It is not for submitting skins. Do that in this other thread, instead.

If you're just getting into modding, hit up the tutorials on the modding wiki. Most everything still functions similarly to vanilla SF4, but the engine doesn't use emz bundles for costumes/colors anymore.

I will update this first post with some frequently asked questions as they arise, so please read it before asking.

Comments

• d3vd3v Coughing DAT PINK SPIT Joined: Posts: 36,754 mod
  • orgoloveorgolove Maximum Modding Joined: Posts: 87
    Someone else got the jump on us! D: Moveset swaps already when I've just started testing move changes...

http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2011/jul/02/pc-ssf4-arcade-edition-move-swaps-and-freaky-faces/

Anyone know how he did it?
  • hunterkhunterk Joined: Posts: 2,237
    @d3v
    Thanks!

@orgolove
    I would guess they just renamed/replaced the bcm and bac files. I'll double-check once the game is actually released.
  • sensibeatsensibeat otaku Joined: Posts: 343
    He just renamed Oni's skin and put it in Cammy's folder. (under hp bar you have the name) hence the deformed face (he didnt thought of swapping the face file now separated in SSF4AE)
    Kinda the easy stuff people already did with SF4 (were the first mods actually).

I would do it the other way and put the moves in the files of another, then you would have the matching name :P

Capcom really made it easier here you can swap whatever you want by just renaming the files.
    @sensibeat
    good eye, catching the name :P

Steam should let me download the game this afternoon, so I hope to dig into some of the things we've discussed elsewhere.
    I made the game freeze because I missed the fact the bac and bcm files are in their own folder: dlc/03_character_free/battle/regulation/latest/
    (those are the files for the moves after AE "regulation")

You can find other bac and bcm files in the character folders (resource/battle/chara/), but those are SSF4 files, so they don't apply while playing AE.

AE characters miss the clg files as they are for the challenges and those characters don't have any. :P

It looks like you can really swap any files from a character folder to another and just rename them even the vfx.emz

Will you recognize whose moves did Juri get? :D
    jb.jpg
    jb2.jpg
    I changed every files from JRI.cam.ema to JRI.vfx.ttex.emz but JRI.fce.ema, just by renaming the files in the resource/battle/chara/JRI folder.
    Then I changed the bac & bcm files in the dlc/03_character_free/battle/regulation/latest/JRI folder.
    Man, that sure is easier than it used to be! I guess monkeyface is a thing of the past :P

So, if it has bac/bcm files from Super, I guess we can use the Super version of movesets. Have you tried any vanilla bac/bcm replacements yet?
    @hunterk
    No I haven't tried SF4 Sagat vs SSF4AE Yun if that's what you mean. :D
    I'll let you test it, I know you want to.

@Thirtyfour
    More? you mean you haven't found who owns the moves I swaped? :D
  • RoboKrikitRoboKrikit nuclear Joined: Posts: 1,943
    No! Not the head bite!
  • orgoloveorgolove Maximum Modding Joined: Posts: 87
    That's quite awesome. Good to hear - thought there was some special index file/name we need to change, like in vanilla.

Thanks! I've always wondered how T hawk's ultra 2 would look when done by a smaller character.

Though I really get discouraged by all the hate I get after spending weeks modifying moves, making videos, writing up a list, etc...
  • draskozlidraskozli Joined: Posts: 9
    Is there any ssf4ae cmm (SSFIVae Custom Mod Manager) program, or something like that, something that automatically changes modes in super street fighter 4 arcade edition???
    @orgolove
    What I did is easy and can't be compared to what you did on Vanilla, I just swaped the whole moveset.

I didn't edit the moves of the character nor added any characteristics (juggle etc) to them like you did.

This is still a tough task. I tested perl on SF4 files, I understood the basics of editing the moves but it seemed so long to do.

If pearl scripts don't work on AE files directly, you could try to rewrite a Vanilla'ish cmn.emz from AE files, tho you would have to do it manually as I don't think kensou's tool support those files (I had issues with col.emz files containing more than 4 files). Then after editing it you would have to cut it back into AE files.

Don't listen to haters, I had people cursing me for my bad playstyle when I uploaded videos IA vs IA just to show costumes ...

@draskozli
    I don't know if Leogansky will make a new one for AE.
  • hadooookenhadooooken WHO WANNA THIS SMELL~ Joined: Posts: 111
    Me, Anotak and Polarity are working on SSF4AE modding. Developments are going really fast rn, and Anotak already got tools going for editing almost everything in the .bcm. I'm kind of not that involved with that because I'm not as good at actually reading hex apart from areas I already know i'm just going "oh cool what does that do oh shit"

There's already progress on adding and changing cancels (the cancels are what it cancels to, so you still have to add in cancels for moves that don't usually have it.) as well as some early stuff on meter editing, what motions a move uses, what inputs it uses etc.
    So far, SSF4AE is a lot easier to mod than vanilla, but that might just be because Anotak's on board again.

BTW: SSF4AE Koryu is already in progress: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ui3DTYHjjk8
    I'm glad to hear you guys are back at it. Over in the vanilla skin thread, Recycler posted a couple of links to a chinese forum where someone had already edited the move inputs, so you might take a look at that if you get stuck. Are you guys going over things in a public thread? If so, I'll lurk there, too.

I've been trying unsuccessfully to get vanilla bac/bcm into AE, but it's crashing on me. I didn't spend much time on it, though, so maybe I'll get something going soon.

I also unsuccessfully tried stealing some of Oni's "emission" materials to give other characters the same sort of fire effect on their bodies. No crashes on that one, but no effect either. Related: it appears that since the emz bundles are gone, the game doesn't really care about the size of the *.obj.emm files, so I think you can just insert as much hex data as you want without it prompting a crash (i.e., no more worrying about overwriting/inserting). I'd like some verification on that, if anyone cares to look into it.

I guess at some point I'll start documenting which files you actually have to edit for things to take effect so people don't spend all of their time hunting for which files actually do what they want.
  • hadooookenhadooooken WHO WANNA THIS SMELL~ Joined: Posts: 111
    Things changed in the BAC file. cancels are different, and I think some of the stuff in the effects sections in the animations part are different too. BCM i'm not sure, it's probably different too in some ways.

We've got a tool that helps for changing which inputs/motions a move uses, and motion editing has already been explored enough so that I know how to change it.
  • Good Game PlayerGood Game Player Joined: Posts: 397
    editing the move motions was known a long time ago but editing the buttons is a new discovery. we can inject new moves into a character's file now, they don't have to take the place of other moves as they did previously.
  • Running WildRunning Wild Rock You Like A Hurricane Joined: Posts: 3,176
    I'm trying to do some moveswaps, but they aren't working, game refuses to load beyond the versus screen. I've looked all over for a detail tutorial, but I can't find anything.
    YouTube Channel - All sorts of random vidya's of fighting games and shit.
    Stream - Watch me bad in various classic fighting games.
    RB2: Xiangfei, Cheng, Mary, Geese
  • Jay Vasquez 77Jay Vasquez 77 20 pushups per loss Joined: Posts: 107
    Is it possible to edit the color select tile in the character select screen?
    For example, I swapped Seth's Color 2 skin (red) with the scale skin mod, is it possible to extract the Red color select tile and edit it to something like a black tile or whatever? Just something to make it easier to remember where my costumes are.
  • AnotakAnotak mad scientist Joined: Posts: 1,890
    http://www.mediafire.com/?15dy34w0twm6rnm

bcm editing tools, requires .net framework

if you guys figure out any more of the input data in bcm lemme know. or if you figure out anytihng about the anim format in bac

and of course http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJy6LAcVbBU
    Good shit, Anotak! Our first AE-specific tool! If you make anything else, let me know and I'll add it to the new wiki page.

@Jay Vasquez
    I forget exactly which file it's in, but if it's like vanilla, there's a character-specific file (*.tex.emz, maybe?) that stores them as hex color values. You can change the numbers using a hex color chart, like Web designers use.

@Running Wild
    Which files are you renaming/swapping? There are a number of different moveset files now, and you have to swap the correct ones to get anything to work correctly.

@Good Game Player
    o rly?? That's awesome news. Dropping the emz containers really made a lot of things much easier, huh? :D
  • RecyclerRecycler   Joined: Posts: 4
    original↓
    54652fd5.gif

face fix↓
    f196a5a2.gif

make that difference i use hex editor open the "VEG.obj.ema"
    search "Head" as beginning and delete something

77e7110f.png

053fb1d2.png

Test Mod http://www.mediafire.com/?n77j5f8f1fi4qc3

ZBrush Tool http://www.mediafire.com/?t8n6qp82o6p2g7s
    @Running Wild
    Which files are you renaming/swapping? There are a number of different moveset files now, and you have to swap the correct ones to get anything to work correctly

I have no idea what files I am supposed to swap. All I want to do is give Ryu Hakan's moveset. I have no idea which files are what really lol.

If someone can make a tutorial on how to do that, that would awesome.

@Recycle: That is awesome. Super Street Fighter IV Mini-Mix lol.
  • AnotakAnotak mad scientist Joined: Posts: 1,890
    thats modok
    @running wild
    I changed every files from JRI.cam.ema to JRI.vfx.ttex.emz but JRI.fce.ema, just by renaming the files in the resource/battle/chara/JRI folder.
    Then I changed the bac & bcm files in the dlc/03_character_free/battle/regulation/latest/JRI folder.
    I already wrote which files to swap you even have the filepaths... you only need skills in renaming/copying/pasting files.

RYU with HKN moves:
    You take every files in the resource/battle/chara/HKN folder from HKN.cam.ema to HKN.vfx.ttex.emz but HKN.fce.ema.
    You rename them replacing "HKN" by "RYU" and put them in resource/battle/chara/RYU overwriting the original ones (make a backup)
    Then you take HKN.bac and HKN.bcm in dlc/03_character_free/battle/regulation/latest/HKN folder
    You rename them RYU.bac and RYU.bcm and put them in dlc/03_character_free/battle/regulation/latest/RYU overwriting the original ones (make a backup too)

Oil Shower!
    rh.jpg
    Alright I get it now I think, I totally missed your explanation in your earlier post, sorry. That Juri acting like a kitty distracted me. Seems a bit time consuming though with all the copypasta lol. I tried it again, but I must of made a mistake somewhere because now the game just crashes after the versus screen. Hopefully there is a tool that makes it easier or something, I saw such a thing for vanilla SF4 PC.
    Here are those same instructions in tutorial form (also linked in the wiki's 'tutorial' page):
    http://filthypants.blogspot.com/2011/07/ssf4ae-pc-moveset-swap-tutorial.html
    Oh that helped out alot. Thanks.
  • KioriKiori Joined: Posts: 32
    May anyone could help me there.

I followed the video tutorial in the website found here : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMuc2Vg7D_I&feature=channel_video_title
    At the end the guys has 5 files but you, guys have 2 files ...
    and no need to say that it doesn't work for me. I'm stuck at the loading stage screen.

thx.
    @Kiori
    You will only have 2 files from the vanilla col.emz. You will have 4 files from a vanilla cos.emz.
    thank you Hunterk,
    but when I download a skin mod I have only two files.
    1 - .emb
    1 - .emm

Did you watch the video ? If you did then you'll notice that the guy have 5 files ...
    he deletes the .bsr and he replaces the 5 new files extract from the vanilla.
    I did it but I have a problem because I'm stuck at the screen stage loading ...

any idea ?
    Yes, those 2 files are the components that made up the *.col.emz bundle in vanilla. If you're just changing the color and not the model, those will be the only files you need.

Rename them to whichever slot you want them in and then overwrite what's already there (make sure you backup your files first).
  • Jae The OneJae The One Resolution Joined: Posts: 1,338
    um so im kind of confused with how to implement costume mods? what do i need to download and what are the steps? i'm not trying to make anything just download already made costumes for me to use.
    twitch.tv/noctisluna
    @Jae
    for non-AE characters (everybody but the twins, E. Ryu and Oni), their costume and color files are in the resource/battle/chara directory.

The files are numbered corresponding to "costumes" (the actual 3D model) and "colors" (the painted textures that go onto those models). For example, any files named ZGF_01.* are parts of Zangief's first (default) costume, while ZGF_01_01.col.emb and ZGF_01_01.obj.emm are the color files that correspond to Zangief's first color slot for the first costume. ZGF_02.* files are the second costume (a.k.a. Alt 1), and ZGF_02_02.col.emb and ZGF_02_02.obj.emm are the files that represent the second costume's second color slot, and so on.

Most of the skins currently on the wiki do not include costume files and are meant to be used with the standard Capcom costumes. In this case, you would only have--for example--the ZGF_01_04.col.emb and ZGF_01_04.obj.emm files, which are meant to be used with the first (default) costume and overwrite the fourth color slot. If you would rather it go into another slot, you can just rename them (e.g., ZGF_01_02.col.emb and ZGF_01_02.obj.emm if you want it to go into the second slot instead).

Likewise, if you download a mod that contains RYU_01.bsr, RYU_01.nml.emb, RYU_01.obj.emo, RYU_01.shd.emo (the costume files), as well as RYU_01_03.col.emb and RYU_01_03.obj.emm (the color files), they will all go into resource/battle/chara/RYU and replace both his first costume and third color. As before, you can rename them to overwrite whatever you want.

Make sense?
    Yes, those 2 files are the components that made up the *.col.emz bundle in vanilla. If you're just changing the color and not the model, those will be the only files you need.

Rename them to whichever slot you want them in and then overwrite what's already there (make sure you backup your files first).
    Thank you very much buddy.
    I've finally underdstood :)
  • Jae The OneJae The One Resolution Joined: Posts: 1,338
    @Jae
    for non-AE characters (everybody but the twins, E. Ryu and Oni), their costume and color files are in the resource/battle/chara directory.

The files are numbered corresponding to "costumes" (the actual 3D model) and "colors" (the painted textures that go onto those models). For example, any files named ZGF_01.* are parts of Zangief's first (default) costume, while ZGF_01_01.col.emb and ZGF_01_01.obj.emm are the color files that correspond to Zangief's first color slot for the first costume. ZGF_02.* files are the second costume (a.k.a. Alt 1), and ZGF_02_02.col.emb and ZGF_02_02.obj.emm are the files that represent the second costume's second color slot, and so on.

Most of the skins currently on the wiki do not include costume files and are meant to be used with the standard Capcom costumes. In this case, you would only have--for example--the ZGF_01_04.col.emb and ZGF_01_04.obj.emm files, which are meant to be used with the first (default) costume and overwrite the fourth color slot. If you would rather it go into another slot, you can just rename them (e.g., ZGF_01_02.col.emb and ZGF_01_02.obj.emm if you want it to go into the second slot instead).

Likewise, if you download a mod that contains RYU_01.bsr, RYU_01.nml.emb, RYU_01.obj.emo, RYU_01.shd.emo (the costume files), as well as RYU_01_03.col.emb and RYU_01_03.obj.emm (the color files), they will all go into resource/battle/chara/RYU and replace both his first costume and third color. As before, you can rename them to overwrite whatever you want.

Make sense?
    ok i think i get but i have one question. would replacing one of the colors permanently overwrite the color that i have to take it's place?
    twitch.tv/noctisluna
    @running wild

I already wrote which files to swap you even have the filepaths... you only need skills in renaming/copying/pasting files.

RYU with HKN moves:
    You take every files in the resource/battle/chara/HKN folder from HKN.cam.ema to HKN.vfx.ttex.emz but HKN.fce.ema.
    You rename them replacing "HKN" by "RYU" and put them in resource/battle/chara/RYU overwriting the original ones (make a backup)
    Then you take HKN.bac and HKN.bcm in dlc/03_character_free/battle/regulation/latest/HKN folder
    You rename them RYU.bac and RYU.bcm and put them in dlc/03_character_free/battle/regulation/latest/RYU overwriting the original ones (make a backup too)

Oil Shower!
    it works great but ... I have a trouble with the animation before and after the fight ... face doesn't fit well.
    Do you have any clue to fix it ?
    @jae
    yes, that's why you have to make backups of the original files

@kiori
    no real fix, you can try to edit the obj.ema like recycler did for mini dictator, but its risky if you don't know what you're doing

I prefer not to mess with that :p
    Hey thanks sensibeat for the fast answer.
    Do you know by any chance what kind of language it is ?
    basic texture editing in AE:

Juri's 1st costume files:
    JRI_01.bsr : you won't use that
    JRI_01.nml.emb : contains the normal map dds
    JRI_01.obj.emo : contains the model
    JRI_01.shd.emo : you won't use that

Juri's 1st costume 1st color files:
    JRI_01_01.col.emb : contains the texture dds (I'll only use that file for the example)
    JRI_01_01.obj.emm : contains the material properties of the different parts of the model

Open JRI_01_01.col.emb and extract the dds: that's the image(s) you're gonna work on:
    1.jpg
    you should have that now:
    jri-01-01.jpg
    edit it in a program like photoshop, gimp or what you want:
    jri-01-01.jpg
    inject it back in the file with sf4exploer:
    2.jpg
    You have made your first mod:
    mod.jpg