Bringing Sexy Back - Nemesis Discussion Thread (Pg.18 and beyond)

Comments

• DukeofFortuneManDukeofFortuneMan I still like Nemesis... Joined: Posts: 1,278
    Better question: How often do you grab people after a clothesline. I've got, like, a 70% accuracy rating
    Same here, but a lot of times I don't, I end up doing a standing light, which at most points hits, then we are both back in, but I knew that I would be coming to this point, so I'm in a decent spot. However, I rarely get the chance to do that anymore, because my friend is awesome at reading Nem, thanks to frequent matches with me. He 100% makes sure to advancing guard near the very end of the QCF blockstun, waits for them to whiff the command grab a decent distance away, dashes in, free combo. I've seen him wreck online Nems without fail. So, that whole grab setup itself is wonky for those who know the matchup.
    UMVC3: I know a ton of characters, not all of them great, but for now focusing on Deadpool/Vergil/Shuma, Deadpool/Taskmaster/Hawkeye, and Taskmaster/Vergil/Hawkeye MK9: Freddy Krueger, Stryker, Sektor ; Skullgirls: Cerebella/Filia for life (<3) ; Playstation Allstars: Ratchet ; Injustice: Zombie, Teen Titans

Youtube channel: Derpfighter6
    Add me if you want to play some Marvel, GAU, Skullgirls or PSAS, I'm TiberiusF on PSN
  • TheCapeTheCape Joined: Posts: 944
    !

21:10 is Airtola vs Combofiend!
    If its not fun, I will just stop playing it.
  • insaneleeinsanelee duyw0rk Joined: Posts: 1,007
    i think im going to play more nem/hulk/sent in tourney.
    [14:38] <@Chang>; pz john
    [14:38] <@Chang>; hes pretty trustworthy

.. .
  • Colonel-GilgameshColonel-Gilgamesh Factual Joined: Posts: 9,891
    I've got a group request for everyone. Try cL -> sH Kara Canceled into Tentacle Slam L. Timing is a bit harsh, but I want to know if it can in essence be an armored grab. Also, see how effective it is vs people.
    NNID: a2handedmonk
  • motion51motion51 Joined: Posts: 387
    are you wanting it to be armored because you can just frame trap with cr.L
    are you wanting it to be armored because you can just frame trap with cr.L

Not only that, but also cL can push them back a little bit, so you Kara grab to stay in range most of the time.
  • MacarrattiMacarratti Joined: Posts: 1,421
    Hey, it just occurred to me. Have we ever explored MODOK as a teammate with nemesis?

I went in the lab today and I was dicking around with his assists, and I was using his shield assist and was at first like "lol, why would I use this over other assists?"

Then I started thinking.

Of you call it after a hard knockdown, they can't counterattack through it, but tentacle slam has the range to go through it.

Using that as an assist in corners could be a good way to force the opponents hand. Once they realize they can't just jab or even hyper through it, they'll jump, which nemesis also has an answer to. Even ignoring the grabs, it's still a great tool for laying on the pressure.

It also helps against zoning, which is nice,
    Hey, it just occurred to me. Have we ever explored MODOK as a teammate with nemesis?

This implies people are weird enough to have MODOK and Nemesis on the same team. But I believe this is more about MODOK tech being highly unexplored more than anything else. That, and most MODOKs are on point. Sadly, I don't really see a lot of synergy betwen those tow. MODOK can cause a lot of hits to rack up easily, so while Nemesis can give him a useful bounce of choice, the DHC damage is probably pretty bad in an extended combo. With Nemesis into MODOK, it MIGHT be good, but I dunno, still seems kind of off to me
    This implies people are weird enough to have MODOK and Nemesis on the same team. But I believe this is more about MODOK tech being highly unexplored more than anything else. That, and most MODOKs are on point. Sadly, I don't really see a lot of synergy betwen those tow. MODOK can cause a lot of hits to rack up easily, so while Nemesis can give him a useful bounce of choice, the DHC damage is probably pretty bad in an extended combo. With Nemesis into MODOK, it MIGHT be good, but I dunno, still seems kind of off to me
    I've actually been thinking MODOK and Nemesis on the same team forever now. However, here's the benefits to MODOK in different slots. In first position, he can extend combos indefinitely with the right amount of execution, the more assists he has access to during the combo, the longer he can get. So, point is good. Nem point is also good. Or, like anyone else, MODOK's with poorer execution (like me) have an assist for getting in and an assist for extension. But on second, you can do something akin to the Doom swag combo. When you TAC and mess up the hitstun, like with Doom or Trish or Dorm or anyone like that, you can get silly-long stuff. But for Modok most of the hits are cubes, which is awesomepants. Then go into a largely charged beam super for insane damage, turning a successful TAC into a death-touch. Problem is Nemesis is not going to need that, because of his damage output and the ability to create resets almost as reliable as a TAC's success. As for assists, the beam could always help Nem get in, the barrier is AMAZING for everyone (my vanilla team was entirely a setup for corner pressure with Task and that barrier), and the bomb has unique durability properties and could make some weird incoming shenanigans. But, Nem doesn't really have much to gain with these assists over others. You can attack through the barrier just as easily as you could command throw, and Nem would still be punished on an incorrect guess, the barrier only takes so many hits. The zoning help is very much appreciated, but a lot of folk better suited to use Nem's tools can do that as well. So, they both work okay together, but until we find some crazy-ass tech with the two of them, I'mma wait. My thought is actually Haggar/MODOK, or vice versa, has a bit better synergy.

Oh, and on the DHC, the Psionic Blaster Super causes a long knockdown in higher levels of cubage, which can actually be followed up by MODOK's other hyper. And that puts them at quite a height, which makes DHC'ing to Nemesis sort-of silly. Unless the DHC from the blaster to Nem rockets was INSANELY damaging, Nem's DHC potential is not great. THC wouldn't be awful, though.
    UMVC3: I know a ton of characters, not all of them great, but for now focusing on Deadpool/Vergil/Shuma, Deadpool/Taskmaster/Hawkeye, and Taskmaster/Vergil/Hawkeye MK9: Freddy Krueger, Stryker, Sektor ; Skullgirls: Cerebella/Filia for life (<3) ; Playstation Allstars: Ratchet ; Injustice: Zombie, Teen Titans

Add me if you want to play some Marvel, GAU, Skullgirls or PSAS, I'm TiberiusF on PSN
  • TheCapeTheCape Joined: Posts: 944
    I have been thinking MODOK forever as I just plain love the character. The shield assist you also have to consider also exists with characters like Nova and to a lesser extent with characters such as Trish. I would love to see what I can figure out.
    If its not fun, I will just stop playing it.
    Oh, and on the DHC, the Psionic Blaster Super causes a long knockdown in higher levels of cubage, which can actually be followed up by MODOK's other hyper. And that puts them at quite a height, which makes DHC'ing to Nemesis sort-of silly. Unless the DHC from the blaster to Nem rockets was INSANELY damaging, Nem's DHC potential is not great. THC wouldn't be awful, though.

No, it isn't. Both his hypers scale REALLY bad. Like, Rockets at max scale don't even crack 100,000. BHR isn't much better
    No, it isn't. Both his hypers scale REALLY bad. Like, Rockets at max scale don't even crack 100,000. BHR isn't much better

Yeah, I'm always surprised at how badly those moves scale...
    Yeah, I'm always surprised at how badly those moves scale...
    I'm aware. Because Hawkeye scales badly too, I always joke that my mains are "Team One Good DHC". But, on the plus side, probly Modok would not need DHC's much, because everything should end in a big-ass deathlaser (probly killin' them) or something involving jamming bomb ( RESETS!!! :D ). So, the team's not terrible, I just don't see what makes the synergy anything special.

Ok guys, this may shock you but......

jL HAS A USE!

What be this use you may ask? Well...actually, it's the same use as jH, only sneakier: jump ins. First of all, jL will cross people up. It's hibox hits a little behind Nemesis. The comboing from it is a little off unless you wait till the last second, and go straight into a L attack. And it WILL hit most crouching opponents. It'll hit crouching Wesker's and Chris's, and they duck fairly low. Next, unlike jM or jH, there isn't that 'impact' delay when contact is made. You know how if you hit with jH even if you're close to the ground, the game will take a half second to show people what's going on? Yeah, jL doesn't have that. It's a very sneaky move too, given how high up it is, it can whiff if you're not careful. Though this can be used to your advantage: Unlike jH, it's easier to intentionally whiff the move, then go into the grab. So if you have the opponent pinned down, using jL, you can : Hit high, no crossup, hit high, crossup, hit low after delayed empty jump, grab after empty jump.

Try it out. It really looks useful. Going from high to low that quickly looks significantly harder to block than most of his other options
    I have matches with my sparring buddy soon, I'mma test j.L very very soon.

I have matches with my sparring buddy soon, I'mma test j.L very very soon.
    Better practice it first, the timing can be tricky
    Better practice it first, the timing can be tricky
    I don't normally have training mode at my disposal. It's his PS3, and he's usually using it when I am.

Anywho, I had a few matches today. My god that man is good at blocking my mixups. So, I'm glad to say it worked, but not often. Training mode would've helped, but under most circumstances the opportunity for crossing up with Nem's jump ins were unavailable. He plays Trish and Chris as his leads, and they often scoot back into the corner. Most of the time, I either only open him up by intercepting his air movement, shoutouts to j.M, or X-23 unblockable with Nem's j.H. He up-backed a lot, so I was unable to do much as far as mixing up at the last minute. And sometimes he hit me with a quick jab or raw launcher. I did get him with it like 3 times, though, each led to death or close to it.

My verdict is that people aren't going to let Nem jump in, and Nem will be pretty open between the jump and the end of the jump, when he actually throws out the j.L. I grant it's a faster mixup than j.H, but it requires a lockdown assist, something I don't have on my team.

Also, happy accident, while screwing up the timing, I reasoned that j.L doesn't combo if it's done too early, so use it early, why not, and when it hits, command throw that sucka. That worked okay, and I doubt that set-up is ever going to be timed incorrectly, it sort-of sets up itself. Careful of advancing guard, as always.

Mostly what I found out from this session of matches is that Haggar/Ryu is AWESOME. Thing is I wanna use MODOK on my third team. How is Ryu on anchor?

I don't normally have training mode at my disposal. It's his PS3, and he's usually using it when I am.

Anywho, I had a few matches today. My god that man is good at blocking my mixups. So, I'm glad to say it worked, but not often. Training mode would've helped, but under most circumstances the opportunity for crossing up with Nem's jump ins were unavailable. He plays Trish and Chris as his leads, and they often scoot back into the corner. Most of the time, I either only open him up by intercepting his air movement, shoutouts to j.M, or X-23 unblockable with Nem's j.H. He up-backed a lot, so I was unable to do much as far as mixing up at the last minute. And sometimes he hit me with a quick jab or raw launcher. I did get him with it like 3 times, though, each led to death or close to it.

My verdict is that people aren't going to let Nem jump in, and Nem will be pretty open between the jump and the end of the jump, when he actually throws out the j.L. I grant it's a faster mixup than j.H, but it requires a lockdown assist, something I don't have on my team.

Also, happy accident, while screwing up the timing, I reasoned that j.L doesn't combo if it's done too early, so use it early, why not, and when it hits, command throw that sucka. That worked okay, and I doubt that set-up is ever going to be timed incorrectly, it sort-of sets up itself. Careful of advancing guard, as always.

Mostly what I found out from this session of matches is that Haggar/Ryu is AWESOME. Thing is I wanna use MODOK on my third team. How is Ryu on anchor?

#1: If people are trying to throw something at a Nemesis jumping at them.....why is this a bad thing? It's actually kind of a good thing, seeing as how they'll try to be attacking you, and you could just jH instead. Plus, with Deadly Reach pressure

#2: Already talked about command grab setups with jL. It's usually better to just whiff the move.

#3: Landing 3 hits on someone that blocks your mixups a lot sounds like a success to me

#4: You have Hawkeye arrows, that usually counts as a lockdown assist.

#5: Crossup not always needed. See above mixup options
    #1: If people are trying to throw something at a Nemesis jumping at them.....why is this a bad thing? It's actually kind of a good thing, seeing as how they'll try to be attacking you, and you could just jH instead. Plus, with Deadly Reach pressure

#2: Already talked about command grab setups with jL. It's usually better to just whiff the move.

#3: Landing 3 hits on someone that blocks your mixups a lot sounds like a success to me

#4: You have Hawkeye arrows, that usually counts as a lockdown assist.

#5: Crossup not always needed. See above mixup options
    I'm aware of all that. Regardless, it's tough to incorporate j.L into my game. Also, this is 3 times over about 20 wins. And by lockdown assist I mean something super-slow. But yeah, Hawkeye counts for it, but they still seem to have a window, and the only time I worry about them throwing out normals is when I'm waiting until the last second with my jump-in to do an attack.

I do not deny this is useful, it's just pretty contrary to my normal game plan, so it's hard to put in.

• harleywastakenharleywastaken Joined: Posts: 266
    a friendly reminder - if you're staging a comeback, keep the pressure on.

i would have just had a very satisfying comeback with a pixel of life using dash up > Tentacle Slam L into combo, then raw lvl3 on wakeup. if i had just done an angled DR i would have won, but instead i empty jumped for some reason and got a face full two feet full of plasma.

i would have just had a very satisfying comeback with a pixel of life using dash up > Tentacle Slam L into combo, then raw lvl3 on wakeup. if i had just done an angled DR i would have won, but instead i empty jumped for some reason and got a face full two feet full of plasma.

FUCK I KNOW DEM FEELS BRO

Fact: if you are close to someone, 90% of the time, they will wake up with something. This is a universal fighting game standard.
    Fact: if you are close to someone, 90% of the time, they will wake up with something. This is a universal fighting game standard.

I am guilty of this
  • Psych0Sh0tPsych0Sh0t CAW CAW CAW Joined: Posts: 1,856
    Is there a video showing the proper spacing and timing for crossup cr. H?
    Zombie/Dark Knight/Foot Dive
    Sorry, but I am not able to record much about crossup cr. H. Ask someone else who uses it, because half of the time mine messes up anyway, and I've been kinda improvising it.

Also, guys, what do you put after you connect a tentacle slam, and how useful is it?

I have a bunch of them, because it's fun to have variety on a reset followup.

1. cr.M, cr. H, wall bouncey punch, s.H, S, MMHS in air, (otg to Heavy Launcher Slam if you have an otg assist for extra damage here) OTG Super, DHC if necessary.

2. s.M (I like the timing of the DR relaunch better after this attack), S, air MMH delay angled DR, land, S, air MMHS, then I can either:
    2a. OTG, rocket projectile into punches. This is the standard unknown afterslam combo, and does good damage.
    2b. The most fun of them, OTG into the active frames of heavy launcher slam, then use the punches super when they're right above your head. Every shot of the super will hit them while they're behind your head. Tiny bit less damage than the unknown afterslam, but it's really awesome looking.
    2c. OTG into the active frames of wall bounce punch, they bounce, you recover, jab and reset, deadly reach for back tech, j.H S for forward tech. This is SURPRISING, and catches everyone off guard I've tried it on. It's unusual, and pretty inefficient, but it's mind games, and a lot of hits and such before the reset, so it milks the combo for all it's worth.

3. New tech circa two hours ago. So same as #2, with s.M, S, air MMH delay angled DR, land, S, air MMH, the classic, but then TAC only up or down, X-23 comes in, I do her dive kick straight down, which should whiff, s.H and S picks them up as they fall, air H, Crescent Scythe Heavy, Talon Attack Light, land Clothesline Rocket or another relaunch assist + her chanrged ankle slice, S, immediately another Crescent Scythe because the hitstun is a bitch right here, then knock that sucka down, ankle slice into super. Off the right starter for Nem, the combo normally does nearly 900k to 1 mill for a single bar, not bad, I'd say. Even cooler, I think, it works off Tentacle Slam for about 800k or a teeny bit more for a single bar as well. I don't know about you guys, but DAMN, THAT DAMAGE. I know it's specific for X-23, but probly Trish, Nova, Doom, Modok, people with air dashes who can touch the floor quickly would all be able to use their own fun relaunch combos, or anyone with a whiffable dive move. I'm fine risking the TAC counter here, because there's already been a decent amount of damage after the reset, and swag and mad damage beckons like no other. Shoutouts to the X-23 subforum and Hikarihoshi for figuring it out with Nova instead of Nemesis (Nova's is easier to input for X-23 and has a better DHC by far, but mine does a bit more damage without the DHC, and can work off a command throw)

• FuzzykipsFuzzykips @FizzyKups Joined: Posts: 403
    Just saying, after Tentacle Slam and the DR relaunch, instead of going straight to S I'm pretty sure you could do st./cr. H into Clothesline Rocket, then relaunch from there.
    GT: FizzyKups
    UMvC3: Spencer/Dante/Frank West
    AE: Juri/Guile/Viper
    Yeah, a lot of times if I do a wall bounce first, they drop out during the first air series, so I usually go wall bounce, DR relaunch, but not both.

AND a lot of these setups that utilize the DR relaunch also use a wall bounce near the end of the combo. I suppose you could add more before what I'm calling the Unknown afterslam, but my X-23 stuff and the end-of-combo pseudo-Clothesline Reset require having the wall bounce around.

Has anyone dabbled in crossup sH? It does hit on the other side afterall. I'm in the lab looking into it, and it is very unusual to confirm with. You have to confirm in the other direction if the launcher hits on the tail end. Usually DP+M, but QCF works too. And yes, it does work, but not in the corner. Stick to cH there. Thoughts anyone?
    Is there a video showing the proper spacing and timing for crossup cr. H?

Don't have a video, but I recommend that you do it late if that helps
  • FuzzykipsFuzzykips @FizzyKups Joined: Posts: 403
    I get a lot of crossup st.H when trying to use it as an anti-air... never on purpose though... I always mess up the hit confirm, too.
    GT: FizzyKups
    UMvC3: Spencer/Dante/Frank West
    AE: Juri/Guile/Viper
  • Psych0Sh0tPsych0Sh0t CAW CAW CAW Joined: Posts: 1,856
    So, I'm getting crossup cr.H about 50% of the time. Well, when I was testing it out, I set the computer to auto block, and then command grabbed them and snapped someone in. Now, if I call Vergil with Rapid Slash in at the right time, and I actually get the cross up, then it leads to some stupid ambiguity. Still working on setups with Rapid Slash and Akuma Tatsu.
    Zombie/Dark Knight/Foot Dive
  • harleywastakenharleywastaken Joined: Posts: 266
    I get a lot of crossup st.H when trying to use it as an anti-air... never on purpose though... I always mess up the hit confirm, too.

i've got some random crossup s.H's and tried to launcher, but it comes out on the wrong side more often than not - is this what you mean by messing up the hit confirm?
    i've got some random crossup s.H's and tried to launcher, but it comes out on the wrong side more often than not - is this what you mean by messing up the hit confirm?

Yeah, that's what I was talking about. That's why confirming into DP+M is the best as it hits most of the time.
  • insaneleeinsanelee duyw0rk Joined: Posts: 1,007
    not sure if this was ever mentioned but when using the cH crossup for incoming, theres a fun thing you can to surprise opppenent. since opponents blockstun disappears right away the moment they land, on a blocked cH you can go for a command grab the moment they land. you can also space the cH to always cross up but mix up the side nem ends up on once opponent lands. essentially you get a shitty second mixup. just mash dat S <3
    [14:38] <@Chang>; pz john
    [14:38] <@Chang>; hes pretty trustworthy

.. .
  • serpentaurusserpentaurus just watching Joined: Posts: 4,625
    Why isn't anybody here discussing the newfound Unknown x OMG Andre rivalry? not offtopic since Unknown is one of the best Nemesis players atm :) ...
    umvc3: Thor / Dr.Strange / Ammy - Thor / Dorm / Doom - Wesker / Dr.Strange / Vergil - ssf4: Vega
    Why isn't anybody here discussing the newfound Unknown x OMG Andre rivalry? not offtopic since Unknown is one of the best Nemesis players atm :) ...
    I'm not really big on rivalries, but when was this whole thing started? I usually am on a ton of streams, but have not seen any Maryland stuff in the past few weeks.

yeah, I missed the rivalry

honestly, I'm not hip on rivalries, alot of them feel shoehorned rather than genuine
    Side note on Nemesis crossups: I DO NOT RECOMMEND using DP+M. Not because it doesn't connect, but because your so very, very, very, very, VERY unsafe on block. More of an on principle thing than anything else. However, if you wait just a little bit, you CAN launch them, which is good because it allows you time to hit confirm and choose not to go into launcher. Plus since you're crossing them up, you hit them at the end of the active frames and recover quicker and you can even still cancel if need be. The same applies to the cH mixup. Delaying the confirm into launcher is probably recommended, as you still have options and cancels open to you if you are blocked, where as you have to cancel into unsafe moves nearly as soon as possible for them to work.
    And so ends the reign of the DP+M hit confirm. You will be missed. Long live the new hit confirm!

And so ends the reign of the DP+M hit confirm. You will be missed. Long live the new hit confirm!

Sorry, I haven't been paying attention

What's the new hit confirm?
    Sorry, I haven't been paying attention

What's the new hit confirm?

Launcher. Old one was DP+M, which worked for sH but not for cH crossups. Launcher works for both if you delay it.