Persona 4: The Ultimate in Mayonaka Arena

Comments

• nihil679nihil679 Joined: Posts: 34
    'Come support this game so it can be replaced by something else next year' is what I got from that. Is everyone really just playing P4A in between other Arcsys games? I thought support for P4A would mean more P4A in the future.

I personally think of it less of "Support P4A so we can get another game next year!" and more of a "Support P4A for the future of ALL anime fighting games!"
  • LivewireXLivewireX Joined: Posts: 5,831
    'Come support this game so it can be replaced by something else next year' is what I got from that. Is everyone really just playing P4A in between other Arcsys games? I thought support for P4A would mean more P4A in the future.

I think, as has been said, P4A and the scene behind it has the responsibility of carrying the flag and bearing the weight of the Anime/Airdasher community as a whole. Even if people don't necessarily play P4A, or if they prefer another game over it (why, I myself personally prefer BBCSX, but still know that P4A is a pretty legit game), now's as good of a time as any to start, and now's the time, if you want your game to succeed to push for P4A, tell people about it, and spread the word. Support for P4A will most definitely lead to more P4A in the future, but it will also lead to more great games like it being able to shine.

I love P4A, but if Arcsys doesn't do anything beyond what we've got now and continues to update BB and/or GG its chances of staying alive past this year aren't good.

I don't think it's as much that at all and that you're being a little harsh on Arcsys. They've put out some good games and the fault has ultimately fallen on us as a community for being too divided when we need more now than ever to be unified. They gave us a chance in 2011 with BBCS2 and we blew it, even after we had to claw and get that spot. The fact that they gave us a 2nd chance is NOT something that should be taken lightly and I feel at this point 90% of the responsibility falls on US as the players, and those people that run the scenes and the events to support the games because if we don't support each other, then nobody is going to support us. The MK community gets a shit ton of crap, but they stay strong together and it's resulted in them being in EVO 3 times in a row despite what the naysayers will try to claim. We can be that community, we can do what they can do, and we can bond together just as well as the KOF community did to get KOFXIII into EVO last year. They're giving us a rare second chance and gave us the ball, now it's up to us to run with it.
  • aisightaisight Joined: Posts: 13
    ??? How am I being harsh on ArcSys? All I said was that if we continue with what we have right now while ArcSys keeps working with BB and possibly even making a sequel to GG then I don't see P4A keeping active in 2014.
    ??? How am I being harsh on ArcSys? All I said was that if we continue with what we have right now while ArcSys keeps working with BB and possibly even making a sequel to GG then I don't see P4A keeping active in 2014.

While it's certainly possible, putting out a new BB or a sequel to GG in and of itself won't kill P4A. I feel P4A should be treated as a separate series made by the same company as opposed to a sequel for one game. Like, I don't view P4A as the sequel to BBCSX, the same way I don't consider Injustice to be a sequel to MK9. I mean, I can't blame Arcsys for putting out new games as much as people for not being consistent in support.
  • aisightaisight Joined: Posts: 13
    P4A is a single game, of which it is a spin-off from an RPG series (can you really call P4A a series based on that?) and has inconsistent support across countries - NA doesn't have the DLC that was later released in Japan, and Europe doesn't even have the game. To further its niche status, Atlus was content releasing P4A in a single wave, with no plans of restocking or resupplying. You can bet that I'll be competing in this game for EVO 2013, but there's precious little going for it as a lock for EVO 2014 even if numbers are impressive for 2013... it really is realistic to expect other ArcSys titles thrive in the future off of the support P4A receives this year.
    Well yeah, but my point was just that being realistic doesn't mean you have to be pessimistic about it, is all. But I apologize if my comments are coming across as harsh or 'strong'.
  • BlackstarrBlackstarr Joined: Posts: 232
    Some new matches from japan

Main Team: Firebrand/Iron Man/Sentinel
    Dante/Ammy/Doom GT: KiD Xx5N1P3xX
  • nihil679nihil679 Joined: Posts: 34
    If it seems like P4U isn't getting the support from the developers like it should, then we should pick up the banner and show them that this game is worth the time and effort to support. We should be playing the game, we should be voicing opinions, we should be getting people to play with us and growing this game.

One of the popular excuses is something along the lines of "they wouldn't pay attention no matter what we do." Then it should be up to us to make them pay attention.
  • d3vd3v Coughing DAT PINK SPIT Joined: Posts: 36,389 mod
    I love P4A, but if Arcsys doesn't do anything beyond what we've got now and continues to update BB and/or GG its chances of staying alive past this year aren't good.
    Screw waiting for developer support. We kept games and communities alive fine even without developer support throughout the so called "dark years" between 2000 and 2009. If you want a game to thrive, you can't simply wait on the devs, it's up to us, the community, to put in the blood, sweat and tears to keep the game and the community alive.
    You can't ask for well-thought-out changes off day 1, week 1, or mostly even month 1 play...and that's when the game is out and everyone's in the lab.
    -Mike_Z

If there's anything we do best, it's breaking games and then making everyone suffer with all the cheapness.
    -PersiaXO
  • MoTheHawkMoTheHawk Just Fight. Joined: Posts: 170
    I didn't hesitate to book a flight to Vegas and a room in the Paris the moment this game was confirmed for EVO. It'll be my first!

I've also been in the lab all this week getting ready for a local tournament (and Final Round qualifier!) this weekend. Everyone else's sloth is my gain.
    Check out our monthly MAXOUT tournaments in Kansas City - Twitch Channel - Twitter - Facebook Group - YouTube Channel
  • Number 13Number 13 The Courage to Skullgirl Joined: Posts: 1,545
    I didn't hesitate to book a flight to Vegas and a room in the Paris the moment this game was confirmed for EVO. It'll be my first!

I've also been in the lab all this week getting ready for a local tournament (and Final Round qualifier!) this weekend. Everyone else's sloth is my gain.

23wuv.jpg
    THATS THE SPIRIT!

Speaking of that..I should probably plan out some Vacation Days now..
    Currently Played Fighters [other alias: HooliganComboFTW]
    Persona 4 Arena: Yu Narukami Skullgirls: Solo Filia SSFIV AE: Cammy Dead or Alive 5: Hitomi/Rig
    KoF XIII : K'/Athena/Terry SoulCaliber V: Siegfried Tekken 6: Lili/Lars SF3OE: Alex SSF2HDRMX: Cammy
  • AnneIFrankAnneIFrank Joined: Posts: 428
    Got back on the grind and hit S rank last night ^_^ idk if I should feel good because I keep running into B-A ranks that autocombo for every confirm -_-
    Got back on the grind and hit S rank last night ^_^ idk if I should feel good because I keep running into B-A ranks that autocombo for every confirm -_-

To be fair, sometimes if you get too mash happy you start going into the autocombo anyway, and a lot of people will just say "screw it", instead of by the 3rd hit of it, backing off so they don't do it.
    I'm talking like they'll land a clean hit with the chance for some good damage, and then just autocombo every time. I'll play against an A Mitsuru who's like 90-10 that only knows they have a reversal and autocombo. I have no idea how that happens. Almost every character can take a 5AA and get a better convert than autocombo with time to confirm, but people still autocombo. there's no excuse for that.
    I'm talking like they'll land a clean hit with the chance for some good damage, and then just autocombo every time. I'll play against an A Mitsuru who's like 90-10 that only knows they have a reversal and autocombo. I have no idea how that happens. Almost every character can take a 5AA and get a better convert than autocombo with time to confirm, but people still autocombo. there's no excuse for that.

Oh, I getcha, yeah. I mean...admittedly I'd think they would have to have at least learned some basic challenge combos. Though, that being said, isn't your rank more based on games played?
    Since you can rank down past C you have to be somewhat consistent with winning. Idk if it's a bug or ratio thing or people are just not accepting good matches.
    Since you can rank down past C you have to be somewhat consistent with winning. Idk if it's a bug or ratio thing or people are just not accepting good matches.

I don't know, my win/loss record is quite possibly one of the most embarrassing things ever, and I'm somehow at C.
    Well, once you hit C you can't rank down lower than C, but if you go higher and lose you'll get bumped back down again.
    Well, once you hit C you can't rank down lower than C, but if you go higher and lose you'll get bumped back down again.

Ahh, alright. That explains why I'm not back to E again then, lol.
  • EmilEmil Joined: Posts: 4,389
    The way the ranking system works is you have to win some consecutive number of matches against players either in your rank, or one rank above or below it (so an A rank has to win some consecutive amount of matches against B+, A or A+ players). Beating players way above your rank doesn't help you rank up in any way.

If you lose a certain amount of matches more than you are winning, you can derank...and it doesn't have to be consecutive matches lost and it doesn't matter what the rank of the player is that beat you.

It's a pretty bad design that can easily be exploited.
    KoF98UM - EX Yama, Eiji, Orochi Yashiro | KoF2k2 - Kim, Whip, Athena, Choi |
    Kof13 - Saiki, Shen, Vice | P4U2 - Shadow Labrys, Rise | GGXrd - Bedman
  • CorreaCorrea HYPER CATINEL FORCE Joined: Posts: 177
    There's also the fact that a lot of the better players that bothered with ranked are now mostly S or above. Back when the game released (and for about a month after that), you could still find plenty of good players around B~A rank.

Since they've all moved higher (or don't play ranked at all, or used to but don't anymore), the vast majority of the remaining people aren't as good. So there's more room for people who honestly aren't all that good to get all the way up to A. The ranking is really just another way of displaying win rate: it doesn't account for how good you are or how good the people you beat were, only how often you won in general. The way it's structured, you can't use it as a measure of skill at all.
    PSN: tcorrea
    P4A: Mitsuru
    UMVC3: Doom / Storm / Sentinel
  • NarcowskiNarcowski Joined: Posts: 841
    The way it's structured, you can't use it as a measure of skill at all.

I'm not so sure; I think you have to be pretty decent to make it to MASTER at least. There's some truth to what you're saying, but in the end a top ranked player has at least shown the ability to outperform the majority of people most of the time (hence the >50% winrate necessary to climb in rank).
    I'm not so sure; I think you have to be pretty decent to make it to MASTER at least. There's some truth to what you're saying, but in the end a top ranked player has at least shown the ability to outperform the majority of people most of the time (hence the >50% winrate necessary to climb in rank).

This scrub janne-da-arc24, is Master rank:

This is how he plays vs. everone, mash R-action and B raging lion all day. This guy also ragequit on me in ranked...and he has 9000 matches played.
    Y'know, if he's that absolutely awful, then I'd hate to think of your opinion of the guy who lost to him 3 times in a row.
    Yolo Narukami shenanigans is a common sight online. Rank holds little weight to actual skill. Treat a F Rank player the same way you treat a SS player(Unless they request to go easy because they are beginners). You never know if they play offline and don't bother with the near dead Rank Online. Most of the activity is at the Player Lobbies anyway
    Persona 4 Arena: Yu Narukami Skullgirls: Solo Filia SSFIV AE: Cammy Dead or Alive 5: Hitomi/Rig
    KoF XIII : K'/Athena/Terry SoulCaliber V: Siegfried Tekken 6: Lili/Lars SF3OE: Alex SSF2HDRMX: Cammy
    Y'know, if he's that absolutely awful, then I'd hate to think of your opinion of the guy who lost to him 3 times in a row.

I think his opponent was better actually...more composed, understood how to apply the Yu oki atleast. That said, he got mashed out of a lot of things and just wasn't ready for that...both players played pretty bad but I think if his opponent just calmed down a bit, he would have beaten janne.
    I think his opponent was better actually...more composed, understood how to apply the Yu oki atleast. That said, he got mashed out of a lot of things and just wasn't ready for that...both players played pretty bad but I think if his opponent just calmed down a bit, he would have beaten janne.

That may be so, but unfortunately understanding oki and that doesn't mean much if your defense is lacking. Like, sure I know the oki and how to attack, but I have a bad tendency to press buttons when on defense and get hit by stuff or sometimes even wakeup DP. So sure, having proper attack is nice, but to be a complete player you really have to have good defense too.
    Well the reason I mentioned it is that janne-da-arc has 9000 matches played but very recently asked(on gamefaqs) why he should do Yu oki and how to do it. That's disturbing to me for someone who's played that many matches and is supposedly "Master Rank".

Anyway he is an extreme case but still, there are many fraudulent high rank players out there and it's pretty easy to take advantage of the flaws in this ranking system.
    Heavy uses of Big Gambles and variations of raw ground/air raging lions is the new Narukami tech that the people must embrace. Izanagi Oki is such a hassle and not reckless enough for the ideal Narukami player
    Heavy uses of Big Gambles and variations of raw ground/air raging lions is the new Narukami tech that the people must embrace. Izanagi Oki is such a hassle and not reckless enough for the ideal Narukami player

That's amusingly enough something that sometimes bothers me since I don't like feeling like I have to rely on Big Gambles or Raging Lions as I feel aside from the SB version of Raging Lion, those are potentially easily baitable. I'm starting to like parts of Chie's oki better, or at least some of her corner stuff. Like 5B>2B>236A>236A>5B>5C>stuff (that can sometimes be 236B>236B).
  • Janne-da-arc24Janne-da-arc24 Joined: Posts: 1
    Man, this is my first fighter and already people are talking about me :) I feel honored you would put a video up of me and its not even of me losing. Thanks Emil (or more than likely Albedo lol). Anyways yeah who cares if I dp and raging lion all day? If it gets me the win great :) If people blocked it then I might try other moves. If that makes me a scrub then I now announce myself King of the Scrubs!.............but I still win :) Anyways yeah whatever I can be Master rank but the onyl thing it proves is that I am STILL living rent free in your head lol.
  • YorkYork Master Button Masher Joined: Posts: 80
    Hey guys. I just picked up Persona 4 Arena today due to the Gamestop sale, and I'm really enjoying it so far. How is this game dead? With the lower price it should have easier time getting new players who were on the edge. Anyways, the only fighting game I've been playing right now is Marvel. I don't know what to expect from this game combo/play wise, if anyone could link me to helpful sources I would really appreciate it. I'm thinking of picking up Teddy as my main right now, but I'm having a good time with most of the cast. Hope you guys will welcome a new player! I'm one of those guys who is relying on the autocombos for most of my damage right now haha.
    UMVC3 Team: Tron/Viewtiful Joe/Haggar
    XBL Gamertag: TdogCubed
    When people say game is "dead",its really not with a few exception. Persona 4 Arena is not "dead" as of now, thats the infamous stream monster logic

Its fine to start getting the hang of the game relying on autocombos at first. The Tutorial Mode is a good spot to get spotted. The Challenge Mode is another good place to start learning some of Teddie stuff. Otherwise just slowly move on from auto combos to basic combos to some of the more advanced stuff like IMC and Burst technology
  • CorreaCorrea HYPER CATINEL FORCE Joined: Posts: 177
    Anyways, the only fighting game I've been playing right now is Marvel. I don't know what to expect from this game combo/play wise, if anyone could link me to helpful sources I would really appreciate it.

And don't worry about auto-combos, the whole point of them is to have an easy go-to conversion so you can learn the rest of the game without having to worry about inputs. Get used to the core mechanics first (DPs, rolls, bursts, the fact that throws can't be option-selected like in Marvel and they have whiff animations, your character's overall style - i.e.: managing items for Teddie).

Once you're comfortable with those, you can hit up training mode and work on better combos.
    PSN: tcorrea
    P4A: Mitsuru
    UMVC3: Doom / Storm / Sentinel
    The amusing thing about that whole bit is that with DSMoove in Japan, Dacidbro dumped Akihiko and is going Chie for now, lol.
  • OerbaOerba Just a joke! Joined: Posts: 1,373
    Yeah, I recently picked this game up due to the GS sale and this game from what I've messed around with seems awesome. I hope I can get comfortably good by the time EVO rolls around:) That being said, considering SRK is more Capcom based, is there another forum out there I should be visiting for more information?
  • ciddypoociddypoo Block. Just block. Joined: Posts: 31
    Yeah, I recently picked this game up due to the GS sale and this game from what I've messed around with seems awesome. I hope I can get comfortably good by the time EVO rolls around:) That being said, considering SRK is more Capcom based, is there another forum out there I should be visiting for more information?
    Dustloop, pretty much.

It's felt like the game's been getting a bit more active now that P4's been announced for EVO2K13.

Ranked matches work like this:

If you are F rank to D+, any three wins in a row will rank you up. Any three losses in a row will rank you down. The opponent's rank does not matter in these cases. If you're D+ and you lose three times to SSS people, you will still drop to D.

From C rank to A+, you can only rank by either winning 3 in a row or losing 3 in a row to players who are within a 'half-step' of you. So if you're C+, only matches against C and B will count toward/against your rank.

When you reach S, you can only rank up by winning 5 in a row to players who are within a half-step, but you can rank down by losing only THREE in a row to players within a half-step. So from S and higher, you need to be more consistent.
    Skullgirls: Filia (MP Updo)/ Parasoul (HK Napalm Strike)/ Double (HK Hornet Bomber)
    UMVC3: (Zero-B, Dante-B, Magneto-A) / (Wesker-B, Doom-A, Phoenix-B)
    Anime & Gaming Blog
    Dustloop or Mayonaka Midnight Forums, although this thread used to be pretty active pre-release
    I'd never even heard of MMF before you mentioned it, actually. And it's REALLY good to see people getting active with this game since it's been announced for EVO. It's like...before people didn't think it had a chance to make it in and so they kind of were considering giving up on it, and now that it's in, they're starting to realize that we can actually do it and get our games in and are giving it more of the love it deserves.
    When you reach S, you can only rank up by winning 5 in a row to players who are within a half-step, but you can rank down by losing only THREE in a row to players within a half-step. So from S and higher, you need to be more consistent.

Pretty sure you don't have to lose matches in a row and it doesn't matter the rank that you lose to. The thing is, once you've reached the point where you will derank, you must fight someone who is within one rank higher/lower than you to get the "Lose and rank down" match.

So technically, as an S rank player, you can lose a ton of matches to an F rank player, but until you fight someone who is in A+, S or S+ rank, you won't get the "lose and derank" message.