Advice for anyone trying to get better at fighting games, from a Novice. (Story of my return)

ItsNotJackieChanItsNotJackieChan Joined: Posts: 112
Don't give up. I know this has been pounded into your heads but give me a chance to explain something here. I am one of those guys that has been a huge fan of fighting games for years, watched streams and tournaments, and developed deep knowledge of the games that I watched. Sounds great right? However the only problem still lingering over my head was that when it got down to it, I was bad at them. I had no 'fundamentals' (although i had an understanding of the term in relation to FGs). None of my friends were really into fighting games and there was no arcade scene around me. On top of that, seeing high level play would discourage me and make me say things like ''1 Frame Links? Yeah I can't do those. Guess i can never play Street Fighter". Now that i've finally decided to take time to get better, my only avenue of play is online. Another cloud lingering over my head. I also believed that learning the game through online matches was pointless due to possible latency. These are all excuses that I told myself so that I had a reason to hold back. I tried to make myself content with being a spectator forever. But as bad as all of my ideas were, they weren't the TRUE source of my problem with fighting games. (This isn't me from years ago. What i mean is i was thinking this way last week... hell yesterday.)

My problem with fighting games was that i couldn't get good as fast as i wanted to. I wanted everything to be rushed and i wanted to get good fast so i can have fun. Many new players in this generation suffer from this. When I did try to learn and I failed or I had a practice session that didnt end in success, I would lose my drive and feel that there was no point. I gave up a lot. Often times i would look up advice from other players explaining that the art of fighting games is the 'struggle': Constantly developing new tactics and getting better, fighting discouragement from losses and learning from mistakes. They talk about how 'fun' it is to level up your skills in fighting games and i thought to myself, how can constant failure be fun?

I still dont have friends that play SF, and all last week i've been struggling to find the drive to keep playing. Today i decided to just get into some online games and try my best. Not my hardest, but try to play as well as I can (good spacing and fundamentals, patient defense, safe but effective offense). I didn't TRY to do flashy combos or set ups, i let those situations come naturally during the fight, and i improved, and it felt great. I lost a few matches, but i just slowed down my style, used my replays to study my mistakes, and i actually started winning, and not by getting lucky or using gimmicks (against players that were more skilled than me!)

Now mind you, i still am a Novice! Im still sloppy, i still get flustered, there are still some matchups that i have no knowledge of, I still drop combos, and i still can get blown up. But I can now see that i actually DO have the potential to get better, and i think everyone does. I just wanted New Players to know that they are not alone in the struggle and that it is possible to get better, you just have to take your first few losses and hold them bitches in your chest for a little while before you can improve. The game that i've decided to use as the bedrock, or the, Genesis, of my return to fighting games is SSF4AE 2012. I got back into it about a week and a half ago, and i'm maining Bison and starting from the bottom. I often hear good players say that "It takes years to become a good street fighter player", and it's true! But i don't think this should discourage anyone. It doesn't mean it takes years to see improvement, it's only taken me a few days. It just means that you will play for years before you reach the point where there is little room for improvement. As with any skill that one should practice. Well that's all I wanted to say and i'm sorry for the length, and the sloppiness lol.

TL;DR

Don't give up on your quest to become better in the face of failure because noticing your own improvement is an amazing feeling and it inspires you to improve more. You have to see failure as just another doorway to success, teaching you how to squash your mistakes and become a solid player.

P.S. Anyone that wants to play on Xbox Live, whether it be new players that want to level up together, or Vets that want to help a nigga out a little bit let me know!
I'll play SF4, SFxT (reluctantly), or Injustice.

Comments

• LammeLamme Joined: Posts: 109
    Great post! You're making the same points as most others are, but a story from a personal perspective is always nice and motivational to read.
    Steam: Lamme PSN: Lammez- Live: Lammaz
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/realLamme
  • xEGAxBeastkingxxEGAxBeastkingx Sorry about yo damn luck Joined: Posts: 2,514
    You sound pretty cool. If you want to do some Endless or some shit hit me up. GT is in the sig.
    Gamertag - GDxKingofBeasts
    SFV - Balrog
    Saints | Cardinals | Suns fan
  • ItsNotJackieChanItsNotJackieChan Joined: Posts: 112
    You sound pretty cool. If you want to do some Endless or some shit hit me up. GT is in the sig.

word i'll add you tonight, and thanks for the feedback guys

• D.R.E.D.R.E. One. Little. Voice. Joined: Posts: 1,293
    Pretty insightful. I'm in a similar boat, as I played SF for about three years before I just gave up and bowed out the scene..been gone about a year from playing, but I've still enjoyed spectating and watching videos...I just stopped playing becase I got discouraged due to my lack of discipline to work on advanced techniques in training mode until I could apply them in matches, so I plateaued pretty tough after the first couple years and could never consistently compete against higher level players.

I didn't know that was my problem then, but being away from the fgc for a while has given me a new perspective and I'm ready to rededicate myself to this hobby. I still have a basic running knowledge of fundamentals just ime to man up and put the time in and the work in to level up properly
  • DimeDime Wasting time Joined: Posts: 10,682
    Well Jackie chan I'm glad you have come back to the fold. Yes the struggle is one of the parts of playing fighting games. And yes fighting games are something that you can continue to get better and better at as you get older. I made top 32 in evo for the first time, playing skullgirls... A side tournament. But I've been playing fighting games since 91.

I've had to take ALOT of losses and I will continue to take lots of losses, but that's the nature of the beast. A little piece of advice:

EVERYONE LOSES ALOT. With the possible exception of those that make top 8 in tournaments everyone loses alot cause everyone picks stronger and stronger opponents to play against as they get better.

It gets VERY BORING to beat the same people over and over again. So we naturally seek out tougher and tougher competition (which means losing)

I'm telling you this in case you think that one day you may be able to overcome losing alot, cause in the highest likelihood you won't overcome it... Cause the point of fighting games is to constantly improve and you need stronger and stronger players to play against to do that.

Also, if latency scares you, you may want to try skullgirls. It has the best online right now. Don't be scared either cause now that the pc version is out there are alot of players playing it that have never really played a fighting game and are bad... So they can be good competition for a beginner to play against.

And finally, one of the biggest draw of fighting games amongst those that play it as a hobby but don't really win that many tournaments, such as myself, is just learning a character or characters you really vibe with.

So a last piece of advice is to use characters that you love, be they high tier or low tier... Just keep a high tier character that you can stomache, in your back pocket.
    Gettin' my derp on.
  • XthAtGAm3RGuYXXthAtGAm3RGuYX SRK's ResidentSleeper Joined: Posts: 11,891
    Hey OP add me on Xbox. MJR Poltergeist.
    I fell off the SF4 wagon for awhile and I want to come back and level up before ultra drops. I just need some people to play against honestly. I hate ranked match
    Unchallenged owner of worst user name on SRK
  • sikwiditsikwidit Joined: Posts: 2,027
    Play KoFXIII.
    sikwidit wrote: »
    Play KoFXIII.
    I actually think KOFXIII is one of the best looking fighters out, but after hearing how bad the online play is (which is a major factor for me, since my friends don't play FGs and i dont live near local players/arcades) I decided to give it a pass. No point in buying it just to sit in practice mode by myself forever.
  • CelerityCelerity Professional Necrodancer Joined: Posts: 798
    Play KoFXIII.
    I actually think KOFXIII is one of the best looking fighters out, but after hearing how bad the online play is (which is a major factor for me, since my friends don't play FGs and i dont live near local players/arcades) I decided to give it a pass. No point in buying it just to sit in practice mode by myself forever.

It's just been released on Steam with improved netcode. I only played it for a little while, but it does seem like a vast improvement over the console version. Good enough to not drop simple combos at least.
    (P4AU) Marie :::: (UNIEL) Vatista :::: (BB) Izayoi/Rachel :::: (USF4) Juri
  • Xr0s-upXr0s-up Go banana! Joined: Posts: 1,137
    Congrats for your improvement
    Nothing feels better than seeing yourself improve

My 2 cents, try to find people who play fighting games. Just ask them or something. Do you go college or something? I found a few there and starting a little meetup to play games
    UMvC3: MODOK/Doom/Ammy; Magneto/Arthur/Haggar; Wright/Raccoon/Doom
    Revelator: Johnny

Youtube: Dentalplan
  • SNAAAAKESNAAAAKE WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!? Joined: Posts: 13,098 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    just keep pressing jab and short at the same time in shitty fighter 4

works great............ :coffee:
    you must defeat my Shen Long to receive the reward

• sikwiditsikwidit Joined: Posts: 2,027
    Play KoFXIII.

Actually KoFXIII Steam Edition is coming out to PC shortly and the netcode has been proven to be amazing. SF4 level or even better.

I was actually being serious though when I said Play KoFXIII.
    Alot of people I try to get to play the game just say "oh it is amazing but its too hard." Whenever I find someone with your attitude I always try to get them to play KoFXIII as it is a game that will truly reward you for your time and effort put into it.
    Xr0s-up wrote: »
    Congrats for your improvement
    Nothing feels better than seeing yourself improve

My 2 cents, try to find people who play fighting games. Just ask them or something. Do you go college or something? I found a few there and starting a little meetup to play games

Well i moved to South Philadelphia in July of this Summer, and i've heard of this place, University Pinball (?). Apparently it has AE and Marvel 2 cabinets so I might give this a shot. Gonna be scary playing randoms in arcades again lol (haven't done this since childhood). If/when i get some free time I want to stop by that place.

And yeah i go to Community College, where everyone just goes to lecture then goes straight home/to work.

• pheraipherai LIVE FOREVER Joined: Posts: 11,885 mod
    edited September 2013
    There has always been players that don't have the patience to get good at fighting games :wonder:
    pherai gouki dated gwen stefani in HighSchool. Thats why today she likes all things Japan. smokin.gif
    Actually KoFXIII Steam Edition is coming out to PC shortly and the netcode has been proven to be amazing. SF4 level or even better.

Alot of people I try to get to play the game just say "oh it is amazing but its too hard." Whenever I find someone with your attitude I always try to get them to play KoFXIII as it is a game that will truly reward you for your time and effort put into it.

Perhaps one day when i get a decent PC and i become satisfied with my skills in AE. As for now i want to become solid at AE before i move on to advanced 2D fighters like KOF, or airdash games, or anything like that. "It's too hard" may sound childish but for my current situation it is true. It's the same reason why im starting out AE with M. Bison and not Guy or Gen. Im trying to take baby steps here lol.

• Xr0s-upXr0s-up Go banana! Joined: Posts: 1,137
    Well i moved to South Philadelphia in July of this Summer, and i've heard of this place, University Pinball (?). Apparently it has AE and Marvel 2 cabinets so I might give this a shot. Gonna be scary playing randoms in arcades again lol (haven't done this since childhood). If/when i get some free time I want to stop by that place.

And yeah i go to Community College, where everyone just goes to lecture then goes straight home/to work.

Ah, community college, fair enough
    Good luck with f2f competition. It's so much fun compared to online
    UMvC3: MODOK/Doom/Ammy; Magneto/Arthur/Haggar; Wright/Raccoon/Doom
    Revelator: Johnny

Youtube: Dentalplan
  • MIRACLEARROWMIRACLEARROW Kendoka Joined: Posts: 2,012
    Love it. Cant agree more. Even for vets, we miss combos and our setups. Thats just what happens. We arent perfect all the time. So we've gone through the struggle, even more so then you newbies. But with hardwork you will get there. And once you're there all will start to make sense.

If you ever play on PC add me. MiracleArrow is the ID. I have some vids in the evil ryu forums too :D
    Check Out my Evil Ryu Combo/Mixup Video!!
    2012 Main: Evil Ryu and Ryu
    Retired: Guile - *Shades*, Makoto
    PSN - TojiSake
  • GrapeApeGrapeApe Joined: Posts: 37
    Add me on XBL! Newbie here too down for some games.
    SS4AE- Fei-long/Yun scrub
    Injustice- Zombie Wrestler scrub
    UMvC3- Spidey/Tony/Dr. Fingerlazerz scrub

XBLIVE- Dollafidy
  • LiLiXAsuKALiLiXAsuKA Joined: Posts: 1
    edited September 2013
    Hello, I have ps3, I'm looking for someone who looks for a partner, I'm learning Lili combos, and i know Asuka combos that do 480dmg, If someone know anthing about Lili or chun li, say me please, i want to learn to play with that characters, add me at Ps3: ssub_0 Sorry for my english ^^ :)
  • cidbahamutcidbahamut Joined: Posts: 87
    Every time I think I'm improving I inevitably end up facing an opponent who thoroughly confirms that that is not the case.
  • TRUEB7UETRUEB7UE The Once and Future King Joined: Posts: 359
    add me dude, you are awesome (GT is my SN) and I feel your story, I also am in the process of leveling up without much of a local scene (Vegas is primarily Marvel with a dash of KoF for good measure and none of my friends have the drive to play FGs competitively..).

Lets play sometime!
    Twitter: @I_B_V_K_I
    CFN: MINUSTHEFIGHTER
    I work a lot so my GT is MAG7VUM BROW7V for anyone that wants to add me. Sometimes i dont have time to get on at night lol
  • microMXLmicroMXL Joined: Posts: 40
    I'll add you mate, I mostly play at night when the girls are sleep lol
    TRUEB7UE wrote: »
    add me dude, you are awesome (GT is my SN) and I feel your story, I also am in the process of leveling up without much of a local scene (Vegas is primarily Marvel with a dash of KoF for good measure and none of my friends have the drive to play FGs competitively..).

Lets play sometime!

Yeah definately. I wish i had ANY scene let alone marvel or KoF. Shit i'd drop everything for divekick if there were people around willing to play it lol.
  • delldroiddelldroid Always willing to learn. Joined: Posts: 41
    I've been on the grind for the last few months as well getting back into ss4ae. Grinding out the matches and sitting in the lab trying to better my execution. Its true once you take a step back and observe where you lost a match or mistakes you make its helps eliminate them. Very insightful to the OP and a nice refresh on the mindset more people should have.
  • delldroiddelldroid Always willing to learn. Joined: Posts: 41
    Also I'm always down to learn more matches and just have good/fun fights with people. My tag on XboxLIVE is delldroid if anyone would like to add!
  • YorKeYYorKeY Binary Mode [ON] I'm pretty much the boss of SRK. Joined: Posts: 7,241
    edited September 2013
    Play KoFXIII.

Didn't you hear? Capcom fighters are the official fighting games.
    Dota 2 player.
    SFV: No one and everyone (Yun in the future)
    MvC Infinite: Captain MarvelxGamora/Captain AmericaxMegaman
    Currently playing: Valkyria Chronicles and MvCi
    " Shill of Shills. " - DevilJin
    If you play MvC click this link for kreygasm

• AzureXIIIAzureXIII Joined: Posts: 284
    Motivational. Thanks for taking the time to write this out.

Personally, aside from being discouraged, I've been addicted to the laziness drug and it's caused me to become a pretty uneventful fellow, but more importantly, a guy who is shit at fighting games. I lose without properly applying myself because I don't train, and I don't train because I get discouraged and bitch out when I don't master a combo or set-up in half-an-hour. NO MORE. I'm going forward with real drive and confidence from here on in. No giving up.

We all gonna make it.
  • petran79petran79 Here comes an old challenger Joined: Posts: 1,913
    AzureXIII wrote: »
    Motivational. Thanks for taking the time to write this out.

Personally, aside from being discouraged, I've been addicted to the laziness drug and it's caused me to become a pretty uneventful fellow, but more importantly, a guy who is shit at fighting games. I lose without properly applying myself because I don't train, and I don't train because I get discouraged and bitch out when I don't master a combo or set-up in half-an-hour. NO MORE. I'm going forward with real drive and confidence from here on in. No giving up.

We all gonna make it.

it isnt laziness but rather a defense mechanism.
    I could master a combo with ease too if I devote some time. I caught the input mechanism and timing. Problem are the repercussions. This will cause me such a mental strain and frustration that I'll be tense for the rest of the day and if you add the online input delay etc my day and my mood will be ruined.
    This if I play during morning/noon hours. If I do this at night I wont be able to sleep probably.....

I prefer to learn things at a slower pace instead of trying to do all at once. Not just with videogames.
    too slow!
  • NinjanuityNinjanuity Love shall prevail Joined: Posts: 806
    Play GG. :D