Unpopular gaming opinions SECOND IMPACT

Comments

• petran79petran79 Here comes an old challenger Joined: Posts: 1,913
    Superstar Soccer Deluxe was a million miles better than the fifa was.

Shit you can still play it today and enjoy it, i tried playing fifa 95 recently, fuck me how did we play that shit?

FIFA 96 was nice too but only on the PC. We bought the game together with my friend. but he always demolished me because I didnt have the game to train.
    at that time there were many soccer alternatives. Sensible Soccer, Actua Soccer, Kick Off etc

The PC version of NBA Live 95 was very good too, with CD music, HQ player photos and stadiums and a cool intro. we played that game for hours . Now they made all sports games so detailed, tiresome and difficult.

too slow!
  • RagingDemonStormRagingDemonStorm The power of elevation Joined: Posts: 3,182
    MvC2 is patchwork. Something like a compilation of the Marvel series. It was rushed, 90% of the cast's sprites were already done, no endings, weird stages and music, dry modes, but the fans are what made it what is today. It has its moments when its very good and has its times when its flat out broken. I like to think of it as a reverse NetherRealm game. A game that the fans justified rather than the developers.
    CVS2 Akuma\Geese\whoevers top tier in that groove
  • AlanEdrickAlanEdrick Joined: Posts: 1,216
    XeroSagas wrote: »
    Here's one that should hit hard here. MvC2 is a terrible game that is way overrated.

Let's start with control.
    Light and Medium were one button, so you can't do any medium attacks without doing a light first. Incidentally, you only have 2 version of specials. Assists only come out on negative edge which makes no sense to me.

Stylistically, most of the music and SFX are crap. Also, this could just be me, but it seems like there was a noticeable drop in sound quality from MvC1.
    The re-used sprites, off-model portraits, and 3D backgrounds combine to make the whole game seem like particleboard, a bunch of different art designs glued together.
    I wasn't expecting there to be 56 completely unique movesets, but there are way more clones than I care for (as if we really needed 2 Wolverines).

Everything about the game feels lazy yet it happens to be one of the biggest fighting games of all time.
    to me mvc2 was one of the laziest fighting games ever made, they keep re-using the same sprites over and over. Seeing AVHB, or HSF for the 1st time is cool. Though after seeing it for the 100000 time it gets old. People act like its one of the best fighting games ever which is lol. Storm run away is boring to watch, Mag and cable do the same thing every match. Sent is the only character I like watching; even more is Id rather play CvS2 again then mvc2. Though people complained about Roll canceling, people did almost the same amount of broken shit in mvc2

• Will_DieselWill_Diesel Noble Savage of the inner city's darkest quarters. Joined: Posts: 1,189
    Rictorxix wrote: »
    Operation Raccoon City was a fun co-op game. Some people have know idea what a "spin-off game" actually is.

People "KNOW" what spin off games are about, doesn't mean the game is any less crappy.
    Liberalism is a mental disease.
  • RichterRichter ~~~00~~~ Joined: Posts: 1,881
    Operation Raccoon City was a fun co-op game. Some people have know idea what a "spin-off game" actually is.

People "KNOW" what spin off games are about, doesn't mean the game is any less crappy.

Settle down slugger. A few days ago, people already brought up the same observations you just now mentioned. My opinion and lack of grammatical review must be so unpopular and infuriating to you, that it prompted an immediate response before you began to read any of the following posts.

Okami is an overrated game. That game is so easy that I don't even know if there is a game over screen. Combat consists of mashing the attack button and drawing a line across enemies. The story isn't anything new either, it's just a different take on Japanese mythology.
    coffee.gifapplaud.gifkarate.gifthumbsup.gifwtf.gifpray.gifsmokin.gifparty.gifcool2.gifchinasmile.gifnunchuck.gifsad.gifeek.pngmad.pngcybot.gif
  • ShogunZShogunZ When's DBZ? Joined: Posts: 1,971
    That nigga speaks before thinking 100% of the time.
  • LouiscipherLouiscipher Joined: Posts: 8,177
    KOF 13 is not the return of old school fighters. A lot of dudes hype it up as a return to older fighters that didn't have comeback mechanics and catered to scrubs and it isn't that. It's just not as obvious about it like Capcom fighters. EX Moves and EX supers are derpy as hell. And the devs took away the ability to do a regular grab on wakeup and they took away Mexican Uppercuts that stop hop pressure from a ton of characters.

It's not a bad game but it's not like the other KOF's. It basically breaks down to get one combo, put them in the corner, hop pressure/psych out, GG. And the other games weren't like that. It's too bad.
    STOMP!
  • Virtua_LeonVirtua_Leon Gal me seeeerious Joined: Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    petran79 wrote: »
    Superstar Soccer Deluxe was a million miles better than the fifa was.

Shit you can still play it today and enjoy it, i tried playing fifa 95 recently, fuck me how did we play that shit?

FIFA 96 was nice too but only on the PC. We bought the game together with my friend. but he always demolished me because I didnt have the game to train.
    at that time there were many soccer alternatives. Sensible Soccer, Actua Soccer, Kick Off etc

The PC version of NBA Live 95 was very good too, with CD music, HQ player photos and stadiums and a cool intro. we played that game for hours . Now they made all sports games so detailed, tiresome and difficult.

It's really shows up the problem with modern gaming, you dont hardly have any choice now, it's either fifa or pro, there's nothing else, kinda sad really, i really loved that one on the saturn world wide soccer i think, not the sega one, i cant remember who made it, i just remember micheal owen on the cover.
    I was the best footie game up till when iss98 came and destroyed it
    AAAAAAAAS WE ENTER!
  • XeroSagasXeroSagas Long-time Lurker Joined: Posts: 19
    edited October 2013
    The story isn't anything new either, it's just a different take on Japanese mythology.

I spy...a contradiction! That's like saying Dragonball wasn't new because it was a different take on the Monkey King.
    Or Resident Evil wasn't anything new, because it was just a different take on zombies.
    Or Street Fighter wasn't anything new, because people have been fighting since before recorded history.
    I could go on.

By the way, just because something's easy or derivative, doesn't make it not good. Almost everything Nintendo, half of the fighting genre, every MMO ever, etc...

But then you're entitled to your opinion.

I might be one of the few people who likes DLC to the point I won't play a game until all the DLC is out and there's a GOTY/Enhanced/Complete edition out.
  • M.D.M.D. digs older chicks Joined: Posts: 4,188

Mario Kart is the only game that's fun playing with hackers

Except hackers have unlimited access to items to keep themselves in first place, and even if they don't finish first, they can make the results show that they did to keep their rank.

Man, hacking is dumb[/unpopularopinion]

"I'm deeeeeaaaadd!" - Williams
    UMVC3: Shehulk/Haggar/Thor
    SSF4: Seth, Gen, Zangief
    KOFXIII: Kim Team, Ikari Warriors, Hwa/98 Kyo/Raiden
  • RichterRichter ~~~00~~~ Joined: Posts: 1,881
    edited October 2013
    XeroSagas wrote: »
    The story isn't anything new either, it's just a different take on Japanese mythology.

I spy...a contradiction! That's like saying Dragonball wasn't new because it was a different take on the Monkey King.
    Or Resident Evil wasn't anything new, because it was just a different take on zombies.
    Or Street Fighter wasn't anything new, because people have been fighting since before recorded history.
    I could go on.

By the way, just because something's easy or derivative, doesn't make it not good. Almost everything Nintendo, half of the fighting genre, every MMO ever, etc...

But then you're entitled to your opinion.

I might be one of the few people who likes DLC to the point I won't play a game until all the DLC is out and there's a GOTY/Enhanced/Complete edition out.

I never said anywhere that the story in Okami wasn't interesting, good, etc. I just said it was a different take on Japanese mythology. Okami isn't the first story to have its own take on Japanese mythology and it won't be the last. Resident Evil and Street Fighter weren't very special in terms of story either, the gameplay was what made those games unique.

coffee.gifapplaud.gifkarate.gifthumbsup.gifwtf.gifpray.gifsmokin.gifparty.gifcool2.gifchinasmile.gifnunchuck.gifsad.gifeek.pngmad.pngcybot.gif

Settle down slugger. A few days ago, people already brought up the same observations you just now mentioned. My opinion and lack of grammatical review must be so unpopular and infuriating to you, that it prompted an immediate response before you began to read any of the following posts.

Okami is an overrated game. That game is so easy that I don't even know if there is a game over screen. Combat consists of mashing the attack button and drawing a line across enemies. The story isn't anything new either, it's just a different take on Japanese mythology.
    people who complain about a game being to easy or too difficult is dumb, I can beat almost any game with out having a game over so who cares, people play games for fun. If you only want to have a challenge, I suggest you start doing speed runs for battle toads, dark souls, super ghouls and ghost, and solomans keys
    Megaman 3 is the harder then 1

SF4>KOF13.

I'm sorry.
    STOMP!
    Yeah.
    STOMP!
  • Smoothjazz101Smoothjazz101 Joined: Posts: 1,480
    If you think Plants vs. Zombies is enjoyable in any way I do not want to be friends with you
    I thought it was okay. I don't get the hype behind it.
    STOMP!
    I fucking hate the EX moves and HD combos in 13. Too retarded.
    STOMP!
  • DoctaMarioDoctaMario Sometimes It Snows In April... Joined: Posts: 3,511
    KOF 13 is not the return of old school fighters. A lot of dudes hype it up as a return to older fighters that didn't have comeback mechanics and catered to scrubs and it isn't that. It's just not as obvious about it like Capcom fighters. EX Moves and EX supers are derpy as hell. And the devs took away the ability to do a regular grab on wakeup and they took away Mexican Uppercuts that stop hop pressure from a ton of characters.

It's not a bad game but it's not like the other KOF's. It basically breaks down to get one combo, put them in the corner, hop pressure/psych out, GG. And the other games weren't like that. It's too bad.

I think when people call it a "return to old school fighters" they're talking about games that don't hold your hand, have tough execution, and punish you hard for making mistakes. It's not a ton like the older KoF games, but it's closer to old school than pretty much any other major fighting game this generation.

And other than the HD/Max mechanic being a bit too powerful and the metagame starting to become kind of one dimensional, it's probably THE best fighting game of this generation. It's definitely more fun to play than most of the others.
    "Money matches are against the law in Japan. They can never be good at Marvel." -4r5
    Best by default is still kinda' sad though.
    STOMP!
  • RagingDemonStormRagingDemonStorm The power of elevation Joined: Posts: 3,182
    I fucking hate the EX moves and HD combos in 13. Too retarded.

Mr Karate EX Ryuko Ranbu too stronk

CVS2 Akuma\Geese\whoevers top tier in that groove
  • M.D.M.D. digs older chicks Joined: Posts: 4,188
    I don't care about EX moves and HD combos so much; I just wish everyone wasn't so free to jump-ins and everything didn't trade so much.
    "I'm deeeeeaaaadd!" - Williams
    UMVC3: Shehulk/Haggar/Thor
    SSF4: Seth, Gen, Zangief
    KOFXIII: Kim Team, Ikari Warriors, Hwa/98 Kyo/Raiden
  • RoGE9RoGE9 Joined: Posts: 1,711
    unpopular opinion. I liked the OST for MVC2.

I like it too for the most part, just not as a fighting game soundtrack. It just didn't match the gameplay imo. Kinda wish it was like MVC1 music.

On another note, I need to go the fuck to sleep.
    Best by default is still kinda' sad though.

It's not best by default, it's a fantastic game. I do agree with what @M.D. Said about things trading. There really aren't any truly safe moves in the game which kind of sucks when you're getting ready to unleash a super and it gets stuffed. The game's high risk.

I think the runner up would be BlazBlue. It's not as sound as Guilty Gear but it's a great game in its own right, especially Calamity Trigger. I wish they'd go back to that type of game but balance it out better.

"Money matches are against the law in Japan. They can never be good at Marvel." -4r5
    There are totally safe moves, it depends on the spacing and again we come back to EX moves. Nothing is going to stop Athena from throwing out an EX Fireball from fullscreen, nothing is going to stop Kim's EX Hungetsuzan and very, very few things can punish it, and you can't safe jump or approach Beni at all on wakeup when he has meter. 4 Frame EX SRK AND 1 Frame EX Command Grab... Fuck.

I'd love to play a koryou version that removes EX moves, EX Supers, and HD mode.
    STOMP!
  • araider08araider08 Use your head! Or I will... I need a new bowling ball. Joined: Posts: 1,035
    edited October 2013
    Jet Set Radio Future has a longer entertainment life and replay-ability than most IP's of the current gen era. I can go back and gladly play thru JSRF far more times than I can tolerate the most recent Splinter Cells... Which haven't made the most graceful transition to this gen.
    Also, Mortal Kombat Shaolin Monks is the BEST thing to come out of the franchise.
    PS2MKSM.JPG
    ^^^^The BEST

Huh... What do you know, Lego Star Wars came out the same year.
    2005 was a great year in gaming.
    MakSwag
    There are totally safe moves, it depends on the spacing and again we come back to EX moves. Nothing is going to stop Athena from throwing out an EX Fireball from fullscreen, nothing is going to stop Kim's EX Hungetsuzan and very, very few things can punish it, and you can't safe jump or approach Beni at all on wakeup when he has meter. 4 Frame EX SRK AND 1 Frame EX Command Grab... Fuck.

I'd love to play a koryou version that removes EX moves, EX Supers, and HD mode.

The thing about using EX moves and EX Supers is that it takes away your ability to do an HD combo. So in using one thing, you lose the ability to use another. If there's one thing that really is brilliant about KoFXIII, it's the way they implemented meter management. You can got for a more balanced plan of using EXs when you need to, or you can stockpile meter in an attempt to land an HD/Max. Overusing EX moves can out you in a bad spot too if you need to do a GCR. So if someone wants to spam EX moves, good on them. It just means I'm going to have an easier time with them because they're burning meter.
    edited October 2013
    You would think so but landing said EX into a combo or using one Drive Cancel in said combo goes back to the problem I keep bringing up. One combo does almost half your life, now you're in the corner, and now you have to guess block hop pressure, GG. This is especially true with the top tiers.
    STOMP!
  • Smoothjazz101Smoothjazz101 Joined: Posts: 1,480
    I thought it was okay. I don't get the hype behind it.
    It's another piece of piss 'tower defence' game and you know it
  • CanadianDstryrCanadianDstryr The Mundane Cinderella Joined: Posts: 2,071
    I definitely agree KoF XIII isn't the return to old school fighting games its often promoted as, and all the flaws you pointed out within the game are definitely an issue.
    However I can't cosign KoF XIII is a worse game overall than SFIV.

That game is just too bogged down by option selects and setups for me to want pick up and play again. Plus that game also has a good number of options for the cost of meter that allow you to circumvent a footsies situation. Not quite at the level of utility of a KoF EX move, but its a similar issue.

While we're on the subject of unpopular opinions and KoF though.
    KoF XIII is the easiest fighter this gen from a strictly excecutional standpoint. There's a ~5f input repeater, a massive input buffer, and more hitstop than any game I've ever played. You have no excuse to drop a BnB in KoF XIII, and unless you're pushing for the most meter efficient damage you can possibly do, the same goes for your HDs.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file