UD-CPS2: Fully Consolized Capcom Play System 2

Comments

• undamnedundamned Wake up! Time to die! Joined: Posts: 1,686
    October builds shipping out soon:

th_DSC08596_zps1bc50696.jpg

-ud
  • MrWizardMrWizard Supreme Commander Joined: Posts: 22,135 admin
    Button Config:

Hold down the six buttons you want to use while plugging in the usb. wait for the light by the usb plug to flash. once it starts flashing, hit jab, strong, fierce, short, forward, rh in that order.
    Shoryuken.com
  • RotaniborRotanibor @ROTANIBOR Joined: Posts: 202
    Got mine yesterday. Works perfectly and am loving it so far!

What is the word with PS1/2 pads using a USB converter? I tried a PS2 pad with a USB converter, and directional inputs would work, but as soon as I pressed a button the light started blinking orange.

Are PS1/2 pads supported in this way at all? Or do I need a different converter? All of the pad players I know want to use PS1 pads for the most part.

Thanks!

Also thanks again MrWizard for helping me out with button configuration, haha.
    Rotanibor wrote: »
    Got mine yesterday. Works perfectly and am loving it so far!

What is the word with PS1/2 pads using a USB converter? I tried a PS2 pad with a USB converter, and directional inputs would work, but as soon as I pressed a button the light started blinking orange.

Are PS1/2 pads supported in this way at all? Or do I need a different converter? All of the pad players I know want to use PS1 pads for the most part.
    Glad you like it!

Well, I haven't focused much on converters. My interface doesn't know what's on the other end of a converter (PS1/PS2), so I don't technically support PS1/PS2. I know Ganelon (ST player) and a few others have been using converters fine, but I don't know which ones.

The short answer regarding converters at this point is: your milage may vary!

I'll try and drum up a list of converters that work at present and also look more into this for future firmware updates.
    -ud
    I tested my converter again, with my PS2 pad, PS1 Analog and PS1 Digital pads. It turns out I was a bit off before. It registers the directions AND button presses for a moment, but then starts flashing orange after about 3 seconds.

The one I have is pictured here, it is just some generic one you can get from ebay:
    li5PnJH.png

There are no identifying labels of manufacturing on it, so you'll just have to know from looks that it does not work.

Also my USB Saturn Pad gives immediate flash orange when I plug it in. I'll look into using that tool you have in the other thread.
    The problem with those generic converters (and PC USB pads in general) is that there are a bazillion different button configs. I have 1 or 2 here, but I think I gave up on them when I realized the sky was the limit and just stuck with PS3/X360. At some point I may go back through my PC USB pads and converters and just pick the few most common configs and support those.

It's been a while since I defined my port LED indications, but I think I defined flashing orange as "not supported", so that's funny that it would start out working and then fail. Like I said, your mileage may vary :)
    -ud
  • RagingAvatarRagingAvatar Joined: Posts: 61
    WAIT WAIT WAIT..

I didn't know about this!

How much are they? Are they still available to order?
  • yogaboyyogaboy Joined: Posts: 65
    Add me to the list of those interested in the standalone USB->Discrete PCBs.
    Whenever you have it ready.
    Easiest solution that would please almost everyone -> a decent port. That is, the DC version of ST running on a PS4/XBOX.
    Difficult part -> get capcom involved. Whoever achieves that gets the golden egg and solves the problem for once and for all. Period ;)
    yogaboy wrote: »
    Add me to the list of those interested in the standalone USB->Discrete PCBs.
    Whenever you have it ready.
    Yup, no prob. Gonna try and order circuit boards this week and get some out before Christmas. Keep your toes crossed!
    -ud
  • FreedomGundamFreedomGundam Freedom, ikimasu! Joined: Posts: 2,521
    edited December 2013
    I'm definitely wanting some of those USB->Discrete PCBs, at least enough for 2 controllers/sticks.

Out of curiosity: would you be offering these PCBs with all the components in, but without any USB jacks or wire screw-terminals and whatnot? Not that it's the biggest deal, I'd be looking to put those into a Supergun that already has USB jacks on it, so it'd just be a simpler install if I didn't have duplicate ports.
    Current at-home stick: Hori VLX Kuro (LS-40-01 + PS-14-K)
    Current portable stick: Mad Catz TvC (LS-40-01 + PS-14-KN)
    Current guest-sticks: custom ABS Modular stick (JLF + OBSN-30), custom Saint-stick (Happ/IL Competition)
    Cabinet: custom "Resistor" cabinet (32" LCD, X360, P1=LS-32-01 + PS-14-KN, P2=JLF + OBSC-30)
    Previous sticks: custom Happ CvS2 Double-sticks, custom Happ Hitomi-stick & Xenosaga-stick, custom Sanwa/Seimitsu Neptune-stick and Sylvia-stick, modded Mad Catz TvC, modded Mad Catz Brawlstick, modded Hori FSVX, modded Exar Exaprize

Looking for:
    CPS2 (green or blue): Hyper SF2
    Naomi GD-ROM: SF Zero3 Upper, Puyo Puyo Fever, Triggerheart Excelica, Ikaruga
  • jugosojugoso FG enthusiast Joined: Posts: 208
    my unit arrived yesterday, but haven't tested it yet (I don't have any ssf2x/game board).

gonna leave some pics/vids when I do
  • Half-RoHalf-Ro Omae wa mo shinderu.... Joined: Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    I had the opportunity to play on the cps2 today and I must say it is one quality product. My experience today definitely solidified my thoughts on buying one.

Jan cant come soon enough :)
    edited December 2013
    Played a small Vampire Savior tournament at Super Arcade on this yesterday. Everybody keeps telling me how much better this feels to play on compared to console haha.

I tried out 2 PS1/2 to USB adapters while I was there. One was completely unresponsive, the orange light didn't even turn on. The other seemed to work fine, only used it for about 1 minute but it seemed ok. I only tried it with a HRAP, and no pads though.

The one that worked was the Sumoto PS2 to PS3 Adapter you can see here: http://i.imgur.com/LBGDOkr.jpg
    It seems pretty hard to find for sale anywhere online annoyingly enough.
    Post edited by Rotanibor on
  • footmeetsskullfootmeetsskull River Killer Joined: Posts: 3,256
    Just got mine yesterday. Loving it!
  • UnessentialUnessential Joined: Posts: 1,170
    So someone here in Toronto bought one of your boards (he doesn't have a b board though). Itching to try it out with ST for casuals. Probably tomorrow. I have high hopes :) I'll let you know what I/we think
    <quitjockinmystyle> everybody i wil approve what is cheating moves or not.
    STToronto https://www.facebook.com/groups/499056723549379/
    Because very few ST players check SRK anymore. mostly it's the local facebook group and NHC.
    PM me here or on facebook if you need a stick mod or repair. Same with arcade boards and superguns.
  • MarkManMarkMan BRAND & COMMUNITY ADVISOR FOR TEKKEN | EVO BIZ DEV | ? ? ? Joined: Posts: 5,164 mod
    I really need one of these in my life. I'm going to Japan in a few weeks and going to pick up some CPS2 boards just for this.
  • UnessentialUnessential Joined: Posts: 1,170
    the consolized cps2 was pretty sick. I personally saw one hiccup but I might have imagined it since no one else saw it (just a tiny stutter with the graphics) buttons set up properly by default, clips on nicely to the B-board without the need for the metal clips (which I forgot to bring to his place), I find that without the jamma port , it was a TINY but harder to remove the b board from the A board, but i'm really just nitpicking.
    <quitjockinmystyle> everybody i wil approve what is cheating moves or not.
    STToronto https://www.facebook.com/groups/499056723549379/
    Because very few ST players check SRK anymore. mostly it's the local facebook group and NHC.
    PM me here or on facebook if you need a stick mod or repair. Same with arcade boards and superguns.
  • eltroubleeltrouble Joined: Posts: 5,718
    the consolized cps2 was pretty sick. I personally saw one hiccup but I might have imagined it since no one else saw it (just a tiny stutter with the graphics) buttons set up properly by default, clips on nicely to the B-board without the need for the metal clips (which I forgot to bring to his place), I find that without the jamma port , it was a TINY but harder to remove the b board from the A board, but i'm really just nitpicking.

Those metal clips aren't needed period. They're just sort of there as added latch security. B board can plop on just nicely without it.
    WAIT WAIT WAIT..

I didn't know about this!

How much are they? Are they still available to order?
    @RagingAvatar, I PM'd you a while back. Check the FAQ in the OP for details. Still available, but backlogged.
    MarkMan wrote: »
    I really need one of these in my life. I'm going to Japan in a few weeks and going to pick up some CPS2 boards just for this.
    @MarkMan, e-mailed your Madcatz address a few days ago.
    the consolized cps2 was pretty sick.
    Glad you liked it!
    I personally saw one hiccup but I might have imagined it since no one else saw it (just a tiny stutter with the graphics)
    I think I know what you talking about. I've actually seen a small glitch on arcade ST (on cabs & UD-CPS2). It's been a while since I've seen it, but i think it was something like 1 frame blanking out. Pretty rare, but I've seen it on multiple occasions (in person and in videos).
    I find that without the jamma port , it was a TINY but harder to remove the b board from the A board, but i'm really just nitpicking.
    Ha! I don't think I've ever tried to separate CPS2 boards by prying from that area!
    eltrouble wrote: »
    Those metal clips aren't needed period. They're just sort of there as added latch security. B board can plop on just nicely without it.
    There are differing opinions on this. For cabs it makes perfect sense being as the boards are mounted upright and you don't want them separating when moving a cab around. For UD-CPS2, it depends on how worn the board connectors are. I have a 19XX board that has super worn connectors and getting a solid connection can be tricky. Clips can help in those situations. But in general, if the connectors are in good shape and the boards are sitting horizontal, you shouldn't need clips.
    -ud
    Almost done with another batch of systems. It's amazing the little details you forget after only a few months of not building something!
    -ud
  • beast1x5beast1x5 Joined: Posts: 63
    I think I may be purchasing one very soon
  • ISIMORNISIMORN CLAW Joined: Posts: 74
    PM-ed ! Fr FGC would love one !
  • UNW4NT3DUNW4NT3D Joined: Posts: 417
    Also PMed! UK needs more of these :D
  • JayzeJayze Joined: Posts: 6
    I finally got my UD CPS2!! It is awesome and I love it! This whole experience was great. UD was very communicative and attentive to many details. Thank you UD!!! This will most definitely get plenty of use.
  • johnhandyjohnhandy Joined: Posts: 193
    edited February 2014
    Got mine last week. This is some good stuff and better than lugging my supergun setup to friends places. Being able to plug in any stick does wonders. Also seconding the good communication from emails to ship. He also forwarded some extra links for video info when I had questions. Thank you, good sir!
  • parkpark Joined: Posts: 4
    edited March 2014
    What are the true differences between playing on a CPS2 board and just playing an emulated cps2 game over MAME or on GGPO?
    park wrote: »
    What are the true differences between playing on a CPS2 board and just playing an emulated cps2 game over MAME or on GGPO?

Reduced input lag, proper speed settings, no differences in game data. That's the main stuff. Tourney competitors prefer arcade hardware.
  • worm1444worm1444 Joined: Posts: 28
    PM sent
    undamned wrote: »
    Hate these things. Capcom security pins were used in both CPS2 motherboards and games early on. They later stopped using them (realized what a pain they were for legit maintenance?).

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee311/undamned_photobucket/Arcade/DSC08642_zps0f874b38.jpg

But they are no match for drill.
    -ud
    My first CPS2 B-board (Blue SSF2) that I got in November 2013 had one of those. Pain in the ass to get rid of if you don't drill it. I used two sets of needle-nose pliers, grabbed both sides and twisted in opposite directions. Fortunately, the metal used for those bolts is incredibly soft, and tear apart quite easily.

On a side note, the SSF2 I mentioned above, after cracking it open, was running of a Maxell battery (standard issue for Capcom at the time).
    Considering SSF2 was originally released in 1993, and Super Turbo came out in 1994 (after which I presume Capcom had stopped issuing SSF2), does that mean my SSF2 was still running off that battery for TWENTY years?
    Current guest-sticks: custom ABS Modular stick (JLF + OBSN-30), custom Saint-stick (Happ/IL Competition)
    Cabinet: custom "Resistor" cabinet (32" LCD, X360, P1=LS-32-01 + PS-14-KN, P2=JLF + OBSC-30)
    Previous sticks: custom Happ CvS2 Double-sticks, custom Happ Hitomi-stick & Xenosaga-stick, custom Sanwa/Seimitsu Neptune-stick and Sylvia-stick, modded Mad Catz TvC, modded Mad Catz Brawlstick, modded Hori FSVX, modded Exar Exaprize

Looking for:
    On a side note, the SSF2 I mentioned above, after cracking it open, was running of a Maxell battery (standard issue for Capcom at the time).
    Considering SSF2 was originally released in 1993, and Super Turbo came out in 1994 (after which I presume Capcom had stopped issuing SSF2), does that mean my SSF2 was still running off that battery for TWENTY years?
    Good question. I don't know if Capcom ever re-install security pins when people sent them B boards for battery swap. If so, that would bump the last battery swap date.
    -ud
  • DarksakulDarksakul Your lack of faith disturbs me Joined: Posts: 23,812
    So what the security pins do?
    Just keep people out?
    Or do they serve a function, like holding the case together?
    “Strong people don't put others down... They lift them up.”
    - Darth Vader, Philanthropist
    Darksakul wrote: »
    So what the security pins do?
    Just keep people out?
    Or do they serve a function, like holding the case together?
    They don't really hold the case together, because they're relative loose and spin around, but some have had just screw-bolts there, and they can serve that purpose if you want.
    They're definitely there just to keep people from tampering with the innards; since there's no way to take them off without destroying them, and Capcom was the only ones to have the security bolts with the Capcom "C" icon on them, they'd be able to differentiate the tampered ones from the clean ones...

Looking for:
  • emphaticemphatic Joined: Posts: 478
    I think it's just a fancy, metal "warranty voided" sticker. ;)
    I love shmups and never play fighting games.
    Here's my Guwange stick: http://www.emphatic.se/?p=197
    emphatic wrote: »
    Ironically, they actually place a warranty sticker over the security pin O_o
    -ud
    undamned wrote: »
    emphatic wrote: »
    Ironically, they actually place a warranty sticker over the security pin O_o
    -ud

So it's a warranty sticker on top of a warranty security pin. Seems like overkill, but understandable given how Capcom was REALLY anti-piracy in the CPS-1 days.

How were you even supposed to originally remove the security pin anyways? Special socket tool? Plastic clip remover? Capcom-approved drill?
  • PrinceMurphyPrinceMurphy Joined: Posts: 322
    Got to play check out a UD cps2 this weekend at final round. Awesome device.
    Got to play check out a UD cps2 this weekend at final round. Awesome device.

Nice! I'm glad to see more people are getting their hands on it. I didn't even hear there was one there. I thought everyone was just playing ST on the cabs. How many setups did you guys use? Was it used for tourneys too?
    eltrouble wrote: »
    How were you even supposed to originally remove the security pin anyways? Special socket tool? Plastic clip remover? Capcom-approved drill?
    The head of the security pin is recessed into the plastic casing, so there's not much room for a tool, but it's possible they had something custom. I'm considering modifying some pliers to see if I can come up with a reliable non-drill solution. The key is not damaging the plastic, so your options are limited.
    -ud
    Yeah. Even using two pairs of needle-nose pliers, you'll end up scraping the inner walls of the recess at least a little.

Looking for: