Japan Thread: The population really is declining for SRK Japan.

IparryUIparryU LoL Addict...Joined: Posts: 766
edited April 2015 in World
This year we start off with the anti-secrecy act in play and we can be jailed if we reveal any "secret" information... be very very quite... dey is listening...

My friend "DoubleD" is running a gaming group on Meetup.com, details below! Also big thanks to ScottPopular for arrnanging foreign friendly randbats at kick ass locations. More to come from him and his posse, but if you need some FYI/101 for the gaming scene, refer to the below!

Rules for Posting:
- Keep it clean! No unnecessary flaming.
- If you're coming to Japan for a vacation, cool! Welcome!
- If you're in this thread cuz you have a hardon for Japan but have no way of coming here, GTFO.
- If you dislike Japanese girls, GTFO.
- If you enjoy some sweet ass curry rice, welcome!

Visitors to Japan
If you have a question, feel free to ask us, but first COMPLETELY read and answer the following questions:

1. Where are you going to stay? (Tokyo is not an answer, it is just like saying New York City, L.A., London, or Hong Kong)

2. What games do you play?

3. If you are asking for budget approximations, please give detail about:
-The number of people you will be with
-Where you want to go
-How luxurious of a place you want to stay in
-What your spending needs are (ie. gifts for the family, everyday arcade, sightseeing, etc.)

Need help locating arcades? Ge-Sen.com: http://www.ge-sen.com/
Just input the name of the arcade (very specific search!!!!) and the list will pop up! This site is Google Translate friendly(ish) so try it out!

I have been organizing ThrowBack Tokyo events with my boy DD for quite some time now. Cool people and we always go low budget. Basically drinking, gaming and more drinking! We got gamer girls there too that need some female friends! So girls are welcome!
ThrowBack Tokyo on Meetup:
http://www.meetup.com/ThrowBack/

ThrowBack Tokyo FaceBook Page:
https://www.facebook.com/ThrowBackTokyo

ThrowBack Tokyo Google Community: (dont really use that much...)
https://plus.google.com/b/111282545857869850765/dashboard/overview

FRB Tokyo FaceBook Page: (Kick ass events organized by ScottPopular!!!!!!)
https://www.facebook.com/FRBJapan

Useful links, old threads, etc.:
Train Directions in English:
www.jorudan.co.jp/english

Bus Maps in Japanese:
http://www.kotsu.metro.tokyo.jp/bus/areamap/

#1 Recommended Forum for Japan talk:
CAUTION: This is the best place to get solid advice on just about anything... but I warn you, you have to be able to take the shit that goes a long with it. Lots of Non-PC, NSFW, and sarcasm. You are warned, if you squirm when someone says, "go fuck yourself", this is not the place to go... you should try looking for a 0120 help hotline number instead...
http://fuckedgaijin.com

So you wanna be an Engrish Teacher? Check here:
(credit to Jazz for his success in less than 2 weeks time with NO visa/job offer prior to arriving Japan)
I had wanted to go to Japan since a very young age...and in college I even minored in English and worked in my school's writing lab as a tutor for 3 years to make myself more eligible for jet and other programs ...I ended up graduating and never even getting an interview with jet and the aeon "interview" was a total fiasco...so I just got a job with the us government and worked for a while.

When my government project ended I had saved up a good bit of cash and decided to do it the hard way....I was going to go to Japan and get a job there.

I booked a flight for the day after my project ended and paid my deposit for a sakura house room...this gave me an address in Tokyo.

Now at this point, I had a lot of questions even after a little research. I got a lot of different advice from different people and I got a lot of conflicting reports from different people. Some said its easy finding a job some said chances are "slim to none." I decided I would try my luck and find out for myself.

As directed by several sources, I looked up ads on Dave's ESL cafe and ohayosensei about two weeks before I left for Japan. The long of April is a good time to search (as well as August) because they are at school semester intervals.

Note about ad hunting: many ads will say they require a variety of things. The most common are
a) must currently reside in Japan
b) must hold worker's visa
c) must have EXPERIENCE
d) tesol / tefl cert

If you are like I am/was, all you have is your bachelor's degree. In my case I have a b.s. in biology minoring in chemistry and English (which I got in 4 years :) ) this is fine...you may feel inadequate reading al these descriptions of what employers want and such but the truth is all you need is one company to tell you yes ...remember that.

It's important to find ads that claim they will sponsor your workers visa. His is of course, your true desire as it is your ticket to stay in Japan and find work freely. Once you have one, getting a job becomes much simpler, since employers want to hire someone quickly without having to sponsor someone from overseas. Getting a workers visa takes time, and as we all know in business time is money.

Anyway, look at some of these listing sites to get an idea of what you need to submit to apply. The most common items I found were as follows:

Prepare these items
A) a resume ...remember Japan is a fairly conformist society so don't make your resume stand out....focus on content rather than attractiveness. If you can make reservations at a sakura house or have a place to stay in Japan, use that address to give the employer the idea that you are acquainted with Japanese lifestyle and that you are in the country

B) cover letter
The cover letter should be concise and to the point...this is not a personal statement but a cover letter to enclose your references and resume with. Google examples if need be to get the idea

C) photo
A tasteful photo of yourself dressed nicely. ( I used college graduation photos)

D) a short list of professional references with emails and phone numbers

Once you have these tools, simply go through your ads and adjust your resumes and cover letters to address that specific job ad. Email the requested items (usually the above 4 items sometimes more sometimes less)

I emailed over 22 ads in one night and heard back from 4.... the next day! One of hose 4 gave me interviews over the next 4 days and what actually happened was I didn't get the position I applied for. However, I did so well in the interviews that the director reapplied my information for another position in the company that had JUST opened up...and I got it. 7 days later I landed in Japan and started work.

You don't need certifications you don't need hookups you don't need jet or to dive across the country for bullshit aeon "interviews."

You do need time effort and motivation...and an email account. Using these tools you can find work in Japan too!
Post edited by IparryU on

Comments

• IparryUIparryU LoL Addict... Joined: Posts: 766
    edited July 2014
    Note about PSN ID and XBL Gamertag:
    I would like to keep this updated with the people who live in Japan... purely because of the connection. If you are going to be here for more than a few months, no problemo, but for the short tearmers... sorry... but I aint puttin your info up.

PSN ID:
    SRK_Name = PSN_ID
    IparryU = IparryU
    Ion317 = Ion_317
    tribaL = tribaL112
    Mashyu = Kaitou-Saitou & AnnieBot
    ElvenShadow = ElvenShadow
    Higashibashe = Higashifighter
    xero15 = zrodadonjp
    Americanmeowth = shochusunset
    Prouddisciple = ProudDisciple & ProudDisciple2
    Reno = Reno
    Vlade = XenoVlade
    UnD34D = UnD34D Zealot
    Spikingt= Spiiiking
    UnD34D = Cable_AHVB
    GANGANSTYLE = GANGANSTYLE
    Tommy_TSW = ThePolyglot
    ukyo_rulz = ukyo_rulz
    weedian = bayouhorns

XBL Gamertag:
    SRK_Name = XBL_Gamertag
    HFX = abelity001
    X_Sword = SwxrdZ
    xero15 = zrodadon
    Prouddisciple = ProudDisciple
    Reno = itsumobasho
    Blaziansolja = xKonfuciousx
    Fataldmg = FatalDMG
    seriouslyWTFandre = Heart Break Dre
    Cynistar = cynistar742

Router configuration for PSN and XBL
    static ip:
    PSN DNS: http://community.us.playstation.com/message/6611105#6611105

XBL DNS: ?

wired > wireless

set up dmz with same IP as the above static ip:

Portforward PSN ports
    3478-3479

Portforward XBL ports
    Post edited by IparryU on
  • SirSmoovSirSmoov Keepin' the distance Joined: Posts: 87
    Hello hello, so I'll be in Kyoto until the middle of March and I'm trying to figure out where A-cho is. I know it's in Kyoto somewhere. I'm currently in the Yamasina ward. If I can just figure out which trainline to take and get off at (general area), I figure I can wing it from there. Do you have any info on that or know someone who does? I tried looking on their website but couldn't find anything. If you can help at all I would appreciate it
    "Sleep is for babies...Gamers player ALL NIGHT!!!"
  • SirSmoovSirSmoov Keepin' the distance Joined: Posts: 87
    edited January 2014
    I found this but can't make heads or tails of it. http://www.a-cho.com/acho/access.html

edit: Answered my own question, was able to activate my sharingan using this - http://www.hiragana.jp/

I don't plan on being there much, but I may go once or twice. I don't think it's possible for me to be this close to A-cho and not go.
    "Sleep is for babies...Gamers player ALL NIGHT!!!"
    Japanese and maps.... could not be any more difficult. Just goes completely against logic and the direction of north...

Use this site for now on: http://www.ge-sen.com/
    a-cho: http://www.ge-sen.com/am/3225/
    Directions are still pretty shitty, but thanks to Google Maps to walk on the street... i found it!

http://goo.gl/maps/KY2bH

If anyone is down to go to takadanobaba and game let me know!
    http://www.meetup.com/ThrowBack/events/161854202/

We will hit up HUB for some drinks and then off to Mikado and some other random arcades out there. It would be sweet if you RSVP, but if you just want to show up... its all good.
  • doragonkoroshidoragonkoroshi Joined: Posts: 1,225
    SirSmoov wrote: »
    I found this but can't make heads or tails of it. http://www.a-cho.com/acho/access.html

edit: Answered my own question, was able to activate my sharingan using this - http://www.hiragana.jp/

I don't plan on being there much, but I may go once or twice. I don't think it's possible for me to be this close to A-cho and not go.

Man, sorry bro. I haven't been on SRK in ages. All of my SRK buds moved over to facebook, so I haven't really checked this thread since I've been here. I was just at A-cho yesterday. I live in Kyoto prefecture, but I'm pretty far from Kyoto city, so I don't get to go all the time, but whenever I'm in town (had to get my driver's license yesterday) I stop in on A-cho. Well, this is pretty much useless to you at this point, but just sorry, and yeah, I live in Japan too I guess. Actually moving to maybe Okayama at the end of the month though...

I guess I still probably won't check here all the time. Twitter me at doragonkoroshi I guess if you want to talk?
    "My first girlfriend turned into the moon."
    "...That's rough, buddy."
  • eternalfateeternalfate just bring it Joined: Posts: 54
    anyone know if theres a scene in iwate close to morioka?
    UMVC3: zero, dante, vergil

peace in christ
    Hey everyone, we are meeting up at Mikado tonight for some 3s and GGXRD. We will also go down the street to play some TTT2.
  • sakabato24sakabato24 Dat アイドルマスター Playah Joined: Posts: 1,679
    Hello. I'll be moving to Japan in about 6 months, and was wondering if anyone will be near Misawa AB. I'm looking for anywhere I can play AE and some people willing to teach me BB:CP. I play on XBL and PSN @ sakabato24. Hope to see and make new friends.

~Saka
    Twitter: sakabato24
    YT: sakabato24
    Twitch.tv: SakaPro765
    I had a couple of friends at Misawa that just got shipped out a few months back... not coming back anytime soon, but I will ask around the bases to see who games out there.

When you get on shore let me know and I will have some friends show you the ropes out there... if they are still there.
  • WoodWood Joined: Posts: 189
    Man, I keep forgetting to check the forums here. I've been here at Yokota for a few months now, so I think I'm in the swing of things now. What's going on? And are you guys down for meetups?
    Wood wrote: »
    Man, I keep forgetting to check the forums here. I've been here at Yokota for a few months now, so I think I'm in the swing of things now. What's going on? And are you guys down for meetups?
    Sure thing man. Just let me know when you are in the city. I am at the arcades once or twice a week.

Weekends are a no go for me though... I got my kids on weekends. But Friday nights are the usual time for me.
    http://www.meetup.com/ThrowBack
    sakabato24 wrote: »
    Hello. I'll be moving to Japan in about 6 months, and was wondering if anyone will be near Misawa AB. I'm looking for anywhere I can play AE and some people willing to teach me BB:CP. I play on XBL and PSN @ sakabato24. Hope to see and make new friends.

~Saka
    Hey man, Misawa is hella far from the city, been out there a few times, really nice base. I will add you on PSN later tonight, or you can just add me first ;p
  • WoodWood Joined: Posts: 189
    Yeah, I keep seeing the meetups, but I've been having weird hours at work that have been preventing me from going. I did take a trip to Taka to check out both the Big Box Taito Station and Mikado. Both of those places are actually pretty great!
    Mikado is my hangout spot, so you should see me there on weekdays!
  • Zyx WhitewindZyx Whitewind Joined: Posts: 140
    anyone know if theres a scene in iwate close to morioka?

That's where I used to live around 6 years ago. The arcade there closed down shortly after I moved away... Coincidence? Who knows if there is any kind of scene there now.

I haven't checked this forum in a long time. Some of you might remember me... Maybe. I'm still in the Nagoya area myself. Next time I drop by Tokyo I'll check out your events there IParryu.

PSN: Zyx_Whitewind
    SFV: Chun, Rashid USF4: Guy, SCV: Aeon
    Tekken 6/ TT2: Feng Wei, Leo, Zafina
    UMVC3: Spider-man, Taskmaster, X-23
    Jyanken: Rock
    I remember you! We got on 3s on PSN a few times. I haven't been playing any SF for quite some time... been playing League of Legends more than anything.

But ya, when you do come out here, we have to hit up a few arcades.

Anyone get on that Ultra yet?
  • Zyx WhitewindZyx Whitewind Joined: Posts: 140
    IparryU wrote: »
    I remember you! We got on 3s on PSN a few times. I haven't been playing any SF for quite some time... been playing League of Legends more than anything.

But ya, when you do come out here, we have to hit up a few arcades.

Anyone get on that Ultra yet?

Haha, I only play off and on, but wanted to play more recently cuz of Ultra. We have a lot of places with Ultra here actually. I play LOL as well, along with other stuff like Wow and Hearthstone recently.
    PSN: Zyx_Whitewind
    SFV: Chun, Rashid USF4: Guy, SCV: Aeon
    Tekken 6/ TT2: Feng Wei, Leo, Zafina
    UMVC3: Spider-man, Taskmaster, X-23
    Jyanken: Rock
    Ya, add me on LOL, IGN is IparryU.

Top: Rene
    Mid: Kayle, Vel'Koz
    Bot: Annie, Vayne
    Jung: Shaco, Rene
  • Talim_JPTalim_JP Talim Practioner Joined: Posts: 91
    Hi! I'm new to the SF scene.
    Ordered SFIV AE (for PS3) from Amazon JP and am waiting for it to be delivered.
    Have been a SC (Soul Calibur) playa for 10 yrs. but wanna try a 2D game. None of the other 3D games are for me.
    As I only use Talim I can only play SCII HD Online now (Namco ain't givin Talim any love) and thought it'd be nice to play a game where I can actually find someone online any time and can find it in the arcades (I love playin in the arcades).
    I live in Chiba City and have been in Japan since '91. Am from Los Angeles and was born in 1967 (but my age stopped at 25, haha).
    I'll prac up on the game (think I'll try Juri) and post up again.
    Soul Calibur playa since 3/27/03- SCII hit JP Xbox.
    Talim and Talim ONLY playa.
    SC playa to the end.

Hopin for SCVI news; now playin PS3 SCIIHD Online, PS3/4 and arcade Project DIVA Miku gamez.
    Welcome Talim. I am going to get back into the SFIV scene since Ultra is in arcades now.

If you want to come out and drink/play, I help organize weekly meetups for the Tokyo gaming comunity.
    www.meetup.com/ThrowBack

add me on psn too!
    IparryU
    I don't drink but love gamin!

After I get some prac in I'll be ready to hit you guys (& gals) up for some gamez (I'm a complete SFIV AE newbie now).

I'll add ya!
    SC playa to the end.

Hopin for SCVI news; now playin PS3 SCIIHD Online, PS3/4 and arcade Project DIVA Miku gamez.
    Talim_JP wrote: »
    I don't drink but love gamin!

After I get some prac in I'll be ready to hit you guys (& gals) up for some gamez (I'm a complete SFIV AE newbie now).

I'll add ya!
    No problem. I am the most... Experienced person in 3S, CvS2 and SF4...In fact, I'm the only one who seriously plays those games. Newcomers are always welcome.

Always good to watch other people as well so you can practice the things that are applicable.
    edited April 2014
    Thanks!
    I'll let you know when I'm free, but it won't be till sometime after GW.
    I wanna get the basics down and then hit the arcade to see how bad my butt gets kicked, haha.
    SC playa to the end.

Ultra is also out and there has been some changes to all the characters FYI.
  • HeLGeN-XHeLGeN-X Pro Kramer Joined: Posts: 351
    Looking for people to play 3S in Fukuoka. Most of the arcades for 3S closed aside from Game Greenland and Taito Station in Tenjin, but I'm sure there's got to be at least one new spot with it since the last two years I've been absent from Fukuoka.

Let me know. I also play SF4.
    IparryU- Ya I know about Ultra.
    If I go to an arcade I'd probably try to go to one that doesn't have Ultra (and prob one of the arcades in Aki).
    SC playa to the end.

• Zutsuki RiotZutsuki Riot Epic Cale Joined: Posts: 466
    Hi all, I'll be backpacking in/around Tokyo for a month starting mid-may. I'd like to play some Ultra. Is ultra in only a few arcades? What are some good arcades to check out? I've heard of big box takadanobaba, taito hey akihabara, and club sega. Relative player skill doesn't matter to me, just looking for a fun environment to spend some days playing ultra and maybe to meet people.

Thanks for any advice. I've been googling but all I can find re: good places to play ultra is information about location tests... But we're past that, right?
    "Later on I ran into Cale. I've always known Cale was a con-artist. The way he greets you with the utmost respect and shakes your hand, it's all warm, all the time. Then he picks Raiden." --FlyMike
    "Players who beat your ass and aren't dicks about it (no matter how unwilling they are to draw you a map) are about the best thing you can ask for." --ShawnMcCool
    "But yeah, apparently people like to make it rain over a plate of fire..."--Negro Justice
    edited May 2014
    Yep it's only in a some arcades.
    It's in Japanese only but this site shows where:
    http://usf4.nesica.net/location.html
    Tokyo area lists 61 arcades.

I'm pracin and will be playin the regular game in the arcade once I prac up at home, gonna be a while before I'm good enough to drop 100 Yen on my skillz, haha.
    SC playa to the end.

Thinkin of havin gamez at my place in Chiba (I live on JR Keiyo Line), mostly SFIV AE w/some SCII.
    We usually game from anytime after 11 till about 7. Then go out to eat & everyone goes home.
    Still a newbie but if anyone wants to come let me know.
    SC playa to the end.

Thinkin of havin gamez at my place in Chiba (I live on JR Keiyo Line), mostly SFIV AE w/some SCII.
    We usually game from anytime after 11 till about 7. Then go out to eat & everyone goes home.
    Still a newbie but if anyone wants to come let me know.
    Man... If i would have known earlier i would have came out.

Today was my last day to go out on a day off. Having kids has some huge cons.
    I have a son too but he's 17.
    I'll post when I can have gamez. The date isn't today but 3 weeks from now.
    SC playa to the end.

A bit behind you man. 6 and 4 year old boys here. They liked Watching me play games when i lived with them. Now i just watch videos with them on weekends.

But ya, i haven't played sfiv ae since ultra came out, but I'll turn on the ps3 and add you in so we can run a few.
    Will be a while before I'm ready for some action anyways. I learn slow and only have time on the weekends, need to get some bread and butter down cause mashin buttons won't win gamez.
    SC playa to the end.

Will be a while before I'm ready for some action anyways. I learn slow and only have time on the weekends, need to get some bread and butter down cause mashin buttons won't win gamez.
    Training mode.

Especially with juri. Lots of release timing. Mock vidoes and what not.
    Yep. Readin up on game basics, watchin vids (and streams) on YouTube, etc. Learnin a new game takes a long time, one reason I played only SC (II-IV) for 10 years.
    Plus that and Juri looks like a pretty complex (and can be rewardin, haha) chara. My work is cut out for me...
    SC playa to the end.

Yep. Readin up on game basics, watchin vids (and streams) on YouTube, etc. Learnin a new game takes a long time, one reason I played only SC (II-IV) for 10 years.
    Plus that and Juri looks like a pretty complex (and can be rewardin, haha) chara. My work is cut out for me...
    Yes indeed... Just dont try learning viper or gen. I didn't even attempt those two...
    edited May 2014
    I use only 1 chara. My choice has been made and I think it won't change, for better or worse.
    (re I used Talim only for 10 years, I have no sub chara.)
    EDIT
    I'm stubborn, haha.
    Post edited by Talim_JP on
    SC playa to the end.

• HintaloveHintalove Joined: Posts: 51
    Looking for BB netplay with people in Japan. PM me on here if you want to play. I don't have my playstation plugged in to the internet very much.
    I use only 1 chara. My choice has been made and I think it won't change, for better or worse.
    (re I used Talim only for 10 years, I have no sub chara.)
    EDIT
    I'm stubborn, haha.
    well. if you are good at Talim, then I guess you spent your time properly! lol
    Hintalove wrote: »
    Looking for BB netplay with people in Japan. PM me on here if you want to play. I don't have my playstation plugged in to the internet very much.
    have you found anyone to play with yet? no reply on dustloop forums either.
  • HintaloveHintalove Joined: Posts: 51
    Not really, another rl friend and I are gonna play some today, and I have another friend who will play but he's too good for now. Need to level up!
    Once I get some moves down I'll hit online (but will only play with green 5 bars).

I'm OK w/Talim, in any case I had fun (and that's what counts).
    SC playa to the end.

• seriouslyWTFandreseriouslyWTFandre #Route16 Joined: Posts: 22
    Does anyone know where to buy arcade stick parts (sanwa) around Fussa-Tachikawa. I'm aware of the shops in Akihabara but can't make it out until this weekend and I have a mini tournament tomorrow.
    Nope. I only know the shops in Aki.
    SC playa to the end.

Went to Aki Club Sega today & got my Ultra Nesica up & runnin. Now need to prac at home.
    Games at my place on Sun but all of my friends are busy so only Japanee SCII HD playas will be comin.
    SC playa to the end.

Hey ppl, we are having a little get to gether for the 3s anniversary. Gonna be going to Mikado after some drinks at HUB. Details below, feel free to come just for the drinks or just for gaming!

http://www.meetup.com/ThrowBack/events/184248802/
  • ProuddiscipleProuddisciple Looking for games in or around Abilene, Texas Joined: Posts: 165
    Anyone here playing Killer Instinct? Add ProudDisciple please!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/ProudDisciple
    ProudDisciple on XBL and PSN currently in Japan
    No Killer Instinct for me... would love to, but I am currently addicted to LoL..
    Had gamez at my house in Chiba yesterday, literally about 7 hrs of SCII HD on PS3 and 360.
    Had 3 Japanese friends come over so we were switchin off and playin the whole time.

No 3s or drinkin here, in the interest of low on dough and already spent too much for the month ahead will sit this one out.

Only SCII and SSFIV for me.

Got a US Gold account on my 360.
    Will DL SSFIV AE when it's free for Gold members (next month), then will pay (about $15 I think) to upgrade to Ultra.
    So I will eventually have the PS3 (JP) and 360 (US) SSFIV Ultras.
    SC playa to the end.