Super Street Fighter II Turbo, in the house

Comments

• CigarBoBCigarBoB Joined: Posts: 895
    Kesh! the footage NKI is talking about is the 3v3 ST tourny I put on. It is my footage and EVO is not using it for their tourny. But Wizard will be hosting the torrent on this site.

Keep your eyes out for it soon.
  • SirFritzalotSirFritzalot Bragging Rights Out Now Joined: Posts: 320 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Somebody help me out with beating E. Honda? I use Guile, and Balrog(claw).

What are my best Jump-in options with Guile and Balrog(if that is the thing to do)?

Should I turtle? cause with Guile, I normally play aggressive, I just don't normally understand this match-up. I'm normallly real good with pressure and flash kick traps and such, but it just seems like a tough match-up for me, seeing as I don't know many people who play with Honda, and it seems like a 50/50 match-up to me.plus I constantly get caught up in the bacbreaker grab into thousand hand slap in the corner. I know he shouldn't even get that close, but he does psychic headbutts and he makes me whiff flashkicks by doing the lp version of the move. I use the Champion edition version of Guile or the turbo version. Sometimes the ST version.

It seems like an easier match-up for Balrog, considering his pokes and air game, but lately he's been improving on it. He's learning not to jump-in as much, and he's playing alot safer, more turtleing, and stuff like that

Any input?

-Fritz
  • Duck StrongDuck Strong Yin to all Yang Joined: Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Guile owns up Honda pretty bad. Just turtle your ass off and meet him with RH or Fierce in the air when he jumps or butt slams over your booms(he will jump because he has no choice). There isn't much else to be said except don't come to him. There is absolutely no reason to go on the offense against honda with most characters, period. You should control the whole match, just don't let him get in because Honda is a fucking tank when he gets close.

I honestly think Honda has an easier time against Balrog.
    My youtube channel (various MVC3 vids etc.):

http://www.youtube.com/user/CrouchStrong?feature=mhsn
  • NKINKI Mashers Joined: Posts: 1,788
    SaBrE - thanks for the kind words. Too bad we didn't get to play. :sad: Next time, eh. :tup:
    Ouroborus wrote:
    -whats this i hear about balrogs hp being duckable? and which version does this apply to?
    This is not true. I tested it, and Deejay can not duck Boxer's st.Fierce in the PSX version, just like he can't in the arcade version.
    -i heard something about CE sagats tiger uppercut unblockable. any idea how its done?
    Whether or not it exists, I dunno, but I've never heard of that before.
    -how do you "combo" bisons scissor kick into a throw. most of the time i tried it, i get thrown afterwards but there are a few times i can get my throws in.
    Anytime you do point-blank scissor kicks, the opponent gets a free throw on you. The only time you get to throw them is if they mess up. You can do it safely (so that you can't be thrown) by doing it from max range, and the Short version works best.
    -can any anti chun tricks with new sim be ported over to old sim?
    The only anti-Chun trick with Sim that I know of is the one Cole mentioned (cross-up Forward slide after noogie). O.Sim can't do it because the slide is counted as a far move, and because you can't control O.Sim's normals, he automatically does the close cr.Forward (N.Sim's D/B+Forward kick). I really see absolutely no reason to ever play O.Sim, because as far as I know, he has no advantages over N.Sim, only disadvantages.
    Somebody help me out with beating E. Honda? I use Guile, and Balrog(claw).
    This may not be the answer you want to hear, but to beat Honda, you just have to turtle that ass. Guile is tailor made to beat Honda...that's probably one of Honda's worst fights (if not the worst). Honda has no effective way to get around Guile's Sonic Booms without being countered. All Honda's jump-ins and butt slams will lose cleanly to Guile's j.RH.
    What are my best Jump-in options with Guile and Balrog(if that is the thing to do)?
    With Guile, you should never put forth any offense at all against Honda. Claw actually has a hard time with Honda because Honda can out-turtle you by a lot. Honestly, I don't even know how Claw is supposed to win that match, other than wall dive shenanigans. If you can't get that started, you pretty much lose.
    I constantly get caught up in the bacbreaker grab into thousand hand slap in the corner.
    You can Flash Kick the hands, but if he sees that coming and fakes, then you will be giving him another throw if you whiff the Flash Kick.
    I know he shouldn't even get that close, but he does psychic headbutts and he makes me whiff flashkicks by doing the lp version of the move.
    Just use cr.Jab to beat his headbutts. That way you can keep your charge, and you don't take any risks. (Note: not sure if this works for CE/HF Guile, but it works for ST Guile.)

-Nicholai!
    It was a fun ten years.

http://nki.combovideos.com
    Thanks to BlazeD and Preppy for hosting!
  • I Am LotharI Am Lothar ಠ_ಠ Joined: Posts: 2,798
    Does anyone want to write an easy mode ST Dhalsim guide for me? I want to pick him up but I haven't found much basic info on him. Just the basics would be great, thanks in advance.
    AIM: SubtleDagger256
  • ManxManx Something is wrong... Joined: Posts: 22,399 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    I can't wait for the DVD to come out. I been trying to get my buds into ST for a long time now, and there's just no excuse since PS2 version is out now. Thanks for all the cool threads and info, NKI and A-Dhalsim!
    ... and I'm out like I stole somethin'
    SRK thieves lasted about 5 mins until "tha man" locked me up. Even on SRK a thief's gotta hit the underground!
    "So I just realized the crip walk is just black people's version of the riverdance." - Havatchu
    "Brittany Spears gave me a leg job in an Alabama gas station bathroom" - Shaft Agent

My blog, where I write like it means something or some shit: http://manxbladesake.wordpress.com/
    Official 'Kevin Witness'
    Achievement unlocked! Offered drugs to a SRKer in real life
  • ScampScamp Making Miracles! Joined: Posts: 1,003
    I apologize if this has been handled before but I gotta ask: What are the differences between "arcade perfect" and SF:AE for the PS2?
    I don't think this will ever change.
  • SaBrESaBrE BAI BAI Joined: Posts: 4,495 mod
    the most noticeable differences between AE ST only and arcade ST, is the fact that ST new characters cannot tech ST old characters in AE, yet they can in regular ST. which is sillyy, teching throws is an st feature, they should be able to tech all characters. the other major difference is o.sagat got nerfed big time. tiger shots are very, ver slow. im sure theres little things here and there, but im not as hardcore into all the changes since i rarely see an st board these days, except now since cigarbob got one that i can play on all the time now...
    AZ fighting game crew, team hAZmat

www.teamhazmataz.com

www.twitch.tv/teamhazmat
  • ToodlesToodles da Fetus of Gawd! Joined: Posts: 10,778
    I thought the "hold start when selecting game version" gave you arcade perfect settings, including the stored ochio, stored claw flip, stored chun super, and un-nerfed O.Sagat. Does anyone know of any differences between the 'start selected' Hyper characters and authentic Super Turbo characters?
  • SystemSystem Joined: Posts: 508,676 admin
    NKI wrote:
    Yeah, I came down for the get-together a week ago or so, but gas is way too expensive for me to be taking a bunch of random road trips just to play ST. If you want to come up to STL, I own an arcade cabinet with ST, so we can play here.
    If you were wondering, my name is Bryce or 'smilie', I play at gunthers a lot when I can, just ask Josh, he knows me, he can tell you about me.
    Toodles wrote:
    I thought the "hold start when selecting game version" gave you arcade perfect settings, including the stored ochio, stored claw flip, stored chun super, and un-nerfed O.Sagat. Does anyone know of any differences between the 'start selected' Hyper characters and authentic Super Turbo characters?

Nope. You can pick SSF2 and SSF2 Turbo characters with the glitches but the some characters are still nerfed and hit boxes for many characters are fubar.
  • ToXYToXY Scrubs up? Joined: Posts: 598
    i havnt played ae for a while, i got it on xbox and i think you need to hold select (back) on super mode to get old characters,
    so would this mean you have to press start + select to get an arcade perfect o.sagat, and do you hear a sound or chime if it worked?
    let me break this down

in ST, st old characters are hardly similar to ssf2 characters. that is a major misconception with people. st old characters are NOT like ssf2 characters. a basic example (not talking ae here only arcade st and ssf2) is fei long, in ssf2, only normals he can buffer are close s.fierce, jabs, shorts, and up close strong i believe. in ST, when you pick old fei, almost every normal he has, buffers. c.forward, c.strong, s.fierce far, etc. pretty large difference between st old and ssf2 characters.

so back to AE. when you pick super mode, you are getting the legitimate ssf2 version of that character. when you hold mode or start (depending on if you use xbox or ps2) when selecting super, you will get the ST old characters, hence the different icon during the fight.

this is a big confusion that most people have.

when you legitimately pick old sagat, hes been fucking nerfed to death. hes so slow. in ae, for the most part, they made old sagat basically the same as ssf2 sagat from what it feels like. if you want a sagat thats effective as hell, you have to pick hf sagat or ce sagat. and that shit aint gonna cut it if someone wants to use AE as an st only version, since hf/ce sagat will carry over the retarded dizzy properties.

hope this clears up a lot of confusion

www.teamhazmataz.com

www.twitch.tv/teamhazmat
  • ToXYToXY Scrubs up? Joined: Posts: 598
    oh so you cant get an arcade perfect o.sagat on AE?
    NO.

["he got nerfed"]xN

:P
  • SuperkingSuperking dat mooney dolemite Joined: Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Can't we just end the whole HSF2 AE-ST arcade perfect argument by saying that AE is not ST and is just supposed to be its own crazy game?

P.S. Anybody got any good crossups with Claw? :D
    DS: she's looking hot in that interview, fuck, keep in mind, i don't have yellow fever, i just know a hot girl when i see one, gonna rape her and call her julia chang
    Superking: lol
    DS: julia chang for life
    agreed. ae is just its own game.

anyway, back on topic. vega dive = crossup of ownage. other than that, not really

www.teamhazmataz.com

www.twitch.tv/teamhazmat
    Ok, that's what I figured anyway, the wall dive shenanigans are more than enough.
    DS: she's looking hot in that interview, fuck, keep in mind, i don't have yellow fever, i just know a hot girl when i see one, gonna rape her and call her julia chang
    How much do you think using the psx version affected the outcome of evo this year? And do you think that it would have been the same with the DC version?

Also, were these differences a surprise to the players? It has been announced for some time that the psx version was the one to be used, right?

Just curious.
    i guaruntee the outcome woulda been drastically different if it was arcade. seeing cole as the only og st player in final 8 is beyond weird. watson, choi getting eliminated rather early is really funky. that NEVER happens. choi's sagat was not on par at all, watch him on arcade later that day and super choi came back full force, owning everyone up in the 3on3 tourney except gian. all his uppercuts were coming out and he was feeling the tiger speeds. on ps1, he clearly was not. watson was frustrated with bisons psycho crusher not going full screen like it should and various other things. kuni was also outraged with ps1 and how it recognizes pp for ppp attacks. so he got a lot of lariats when he wanted spd's. its really frustrating for the players.

when things dont work the way you are used to having it work, it gets really frustrating and discouraging. especially when you been playing on the arcade version almost exclusively for 11 years.

also, not taking away from players like nki and dsp. they are very strong players, who can manage top 8 anyways. but i think even buk was suprised at how high he ranked i would think. even tho he was playing well regardless.

hell, dc is a shit version too. i think the outcome woulda been different, but still not in a good way. when changing to dc, a whole other slew of problems arise. the biggest problem is sprite sizes are way too small. so that means more empty space on the screen which dramatically changes zoning tactics. plus some combos dont work right with the smaller sprites as well.

its just a no win situation. but its a process that needs to be adapted to since thats where the whole scene is headed, to shitty console

www.teamhazmataz.com

www.twitch.tv/teamhazmat
  • margalismargalis Joined: Posts: 714
    The fact that players complained about "differences" that ended up NOT being different makes me think the versions didn't affect much at all, or they did but not in the way people think.

Not to pick on people, but if someone is saying "WTF, in the arcade you can't duck that!" or "OMG, in the arcade this does way more damage!" and that turns out to be bogus, it doesn't seem to me they are all that detail-oriented to begin with. If they can't tell the difference and can only spot bogus differences, it's hard to believe it had much effect.

We aren't talking like A3 PSX or A2 Gold vs. Normal where there are pretty immediately obvious, game-changing differences.
  • ParryAllParryAll Dangerous Posts Joined: Posts: 3,311
    Pardon my ignorance, what is a Supergun??
    "Third Strike just has that flow which somehow alienates you from your surroundings and really plugs your brain into the match your playing and your able to comprehend so many different situations and mind games and mixups in such a limited amount of time and all this without even thinking" - Nubilous

"[3rd Strike] makes you feel like the character is an extension of yourself when you get good enough." - AzureWolf

"Street Fighter is now like The Simpsons. It's been bad longer than it's been good." -ParryAll
  • ToodlesToodles da Fetus of Gawd! Joined: Posts: 10,778
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SuperGun
    A device that allows you to play arcade PCBs like the arcade SuperTurbo on a TV. 100% authentic arcade game without the hassle of a full cabinet.
  • Golden_GunmanGolden_Gunman Joined: Posts: 636
    This is a great thread, but this is an idea for the moderators: Move parts of this thread into character specific threads in the "Other Games" section of the site. There is some absolute golddust here for any ST player, but you have to read through many pages split across two threads to get it. I think there should be a "complete" thread for every character, similarly to how it is laid out in some of the 3S sections. You could have "The complete Chun-Li ST thread," for example. Put a description of all her move-sets and strats, and then deal with character specific match-ups. Granted, you wouldn't get as much traffic as in this thread, but it would make things a LOT easier.

Maybe you could then keep this thread and in the first post just put a "linker" to every one of the "complete" threads.

Anyway, back to the spirit of this thread: I have a question, how do you deal with O.Sagat with N.Ken? Those tiger shots are so much faster than Ken's hado's. If I can get close enough I can psychic DP his long limbs when he throws one, or I can get in and Knee-bash throw shenanigans, but it is just really hard to get close. Even Ken's air hurricane is owned by Sagat. Any tips?
    Question, how do you combo guile's super. I've been trying to cancel crouch strong into it, but it just aint happening.

I've tried:
    1.strong xx cdb, df, db, uf+K - super comes out too late and doesn't combo
    2.cdb, df+strong, db, uf+K
    3.cdb, df, db+strong, uf+K
    These two just end up as strongs cancelling into flash kicks.

I also tried changing the last part to ub+K cause its quicker but still nothing. Whats the proper method of cancelling crouching strong or any other crouching attack with guile into super?

Thanks in advance
    r3ko
  • kesh!kesh! It's all up to Y O U Joined: Posts: 524
    haha wtf i can never get guiles super off :((( I tried my hardest doing a 'smooth motion' like

cdb, d, df, d, db, d, df, f , uf + k that doesnt work :( am i going too slow?
  • DeskDesk ハイパー・ディーサイド・デスク Joined: Posts: 705
    r3ko wrote:
    3.cdb, df, db+strong, uf+K

it's that one, except hit ub+k insted. I like to kinda roll the stick from df all the way to up back (like a half rotation) hitting strong half way, i find it easier that way.

so the motion would be...cdb, df, d, db+strong, b, ub+k.
    Thanks alot, its working now, with some practice i'm sure i'll be able to get it off fairly consistently, the damage it does is deals out is impressive.
    r3ko wrote:
    Question, how do you combo guile's super. I've been trying to cancel crouch strong into it, but it just aint happening.

It's much easier (and more practical) to do 2 d.LKs or d.LPs into it. You can also hit-confirm this way and do it after crossup j.LK.

d.LP x2, super flash kick motion+LP~HK
    or
    d.LK x2, super flash kick motion+LK~HK

I think it's kara or renda cancelling or something.. meh, whatever it is, it is MUCH easier than straight up cancelling.
  • Master_ChibiMaster_Chibi .: Dynamites! :. Joined: Posts: 15,063 mod
    NKI, JSJ, Sabre, whoever, can you guys suggest a character to start with for a begining player? Every time I play this game I feel stupid, the game doesn't sit well / feel right with me, and I'd like to remedy that. I'm not looking to win tournaments, just have some fun with it is all.

;p
    ~*Hai! Back to Japan!
    NKI, JSJ, Sabre, whoever, can you guys suggest a character to start with for a begining player? Every time I play this game I feel stupid, the game doesn't sit well / feel right with me, and I'd like to remedy that. I'm not looking to win tournaments, just have some fun with it is all.

;p

well a gurly man like yourself should play with chun li.
  • Duck StrongDuck Strong Yin to all Yang Joined: Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG

;p

OG Ken is pretty simple.
    My youtube channel (various MVC3 vids etc.):

http://www.youtube.com/user/CrouchStrong?feature=mhsn
    Claw and Boxer are both ownage, not saying that you should start with them just saying. :tup:
  • Master_ChibiMaster_Chibi .: Dynamites! :. Joined: Posts: 15,063 mod
    This game is alot more dependant on normals and knowing what beats what than much anything else I played, I've noticed that much.

I am leaning towards Chun-Li though.

;D
    ~*Hai! Back to Japan!
  • Gen-AnGen-An 何で彼女出来ない? Joined: Posts: 616
    Dictator (Bison/Vega) is pretty easy to use IMO, and more than anything he is FUN!!!
    Cast in the name of God, ye not guilty
  • BuktoothBuktooth vietnamazing Joined: Posts: 1,713 mod
    fools are lucky i wasnt in the 3on3

THATS RIGHT I SAID IT

how come gian wins every throw battle against me (and not against nuki)?
    -Campbell Tran

as of 12/02/09:

me: did pz john ever give the japanese players their money
    bas: hahah of course no
    And how come NKI is the goddamn sexiness? Besides playing XvSF, I am a psychic. Behold:

http://www.shoryuken.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97513

What's up Buk? I'm Victor, I met you playing random a3 and st matches in Valle's room at like 9 am. Good shit dood. Too bad you're a bully.

-vic
  • Saotome KanedaSaotome Kaneda Watch your back Joined: Posts: 5,332 mod
    Buktooth wrote:
    fools are lucky i wasnt in the 3on3

THATS RIGHT I SAID IT

how come gian wins every throw battle against me (and not against nuki)?
    Haha

No Vietnambush for you this year, huh? =p
    Original Team Sp00ky Member - Only the finest of Poverty™ Gaming Hipster™
    Comic-Z vs Super Metroid Watch if you want to lose your mind
  • RenegadeRenegade Joined: Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Ok... I have to ask this... NKI... what the hell was up with the character selection in Top 8 this year?

4 chuns? (you, buk, nuki, tokido) (even though I saw tokido use Vega too)

What the heck was with that? I know Chun's pretty good... but isn't she strictly mid tier in this game? (dhalsim+bosses=top, then come shotos+ dee jay).

And the counterpoint, where was O.Sagat? Chun's most feared counter character?

And, my friend Billy was discussing the Vega "soft ban" in Japan that people have talked about. Which made me think that when I went to Japan, I saw vega's being played (a really cheap CE vega at MORE). Is the "soft ban" thing really true? I'm starting to think not.

Thanks for your time
    http://rvatournaments.com/

Your one stop shop for RVA, Virginia, and East Coast Fighting game news and tournament updates.

Your signature has been modifed, please read the rules.
  • margalismargalis Joined: Posts: 714
    Actually I think dictator is one of the harder characters to use at first. He has nothing abusable at all.

Easy players to start with, I would say DJ is pretty easy. He has an ansti-air special, a fireball, decent normals, a crossup, etc. OG Ken is a good choice, any Ryu is a good choice. OG Boxer is a good choice as well. (And OG Boxer is pretty good to boot, very underrated.)