Super Smash Bros. General - Patience and Spacing....or Whine and Moan

Comments

• ReggieHadokenReggieHadoken Power Up Joined: Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Man, the wait for Smash 4 is just about over. Well for the 3DS version, which I am stupidly stoked for. If only I didn't have to work on Thursday and Friday. I usually get out after 12AM all the time at work so I'll more than likely miss GameStop's midnight launch, meaning I'll have to wait to pick up the game on Friday and won't be able to play it until Saturday. Eff my work life.

• Colonel-GilgameshColonel-Gilgamesh Akuma Matata Joined: Posts: 9,469
    edited October 2014
    Just woke up shaking with excitement. Tonight.............
    NNID: a2handedmonk
  • Phantom AngelPhantom Angel The Divine One™ Joined: Posts: 27,564
    1...more......day..
    "Old enough to know better, Young enough to not give a fuck"

R.I.P. YusukeUrameshi aka Yusuke_The_Detective
  • HitzelHitzel jump jump jump jump jump Joined: Posts: 468
    edited October 2014
    I'm still not sure if I'm getting the WiiU version, I've always been more hyped for the 3DS versions since my close friends and people around school are getting it.

I've been looking more into the edge trump mechanic and how you can use it to punish people. Apparently if you grab the ledge, jump off, and grab it just after the opponent does you can get guaranteed followups or at the very least great frame advantage. It was thought that the recovering player could simply roll immediately upon grabbing the ledge to avoid a trump, but apparently the window of invincibility when grabbing the ledge prevents rolling, so the earlier in that window you grab the ledge, the more frame advantage you get to followup.

Also, some characters can act off the ledge faster than others. Pikachu can followup faster than any other character in the demo apparently. I wonder of multi-jump characters will be able to act fast, since they will probably have the easiest time timing the ledge grab.

FC: 0731-4925-9217
    Trish / RR / Ammy
    High-level Halo 1 with commentary.
  • Red Rick DiasRed Rick Dias The republica-- I mean, Titans, must be stopped! Joined: Posts: 3,337
    In other words, Rayne, you might describe yourself with this phrase?: "I'm motivated. :| "

In other news, it seems people are beginning to make Layton Miis. I regret to discover that Layton's most typical sword, which appears to be some kind of 'swept-hilt rapier' (or something fairly close to it) has no direct equivalent. Anyone hoping for authenticity will find the generic European sword (the one provided by the 'normal suit') or the saber (provided by some of the fancier suits) are as close as you'll get, and those do fight somewhat differently from how rapiers are used. I suspect this omission owes to how the Mii Swordfighter mostly does slashes, and while rapiers were capable of cuts they were far more specialized for thrusts. So the good professor will, for Smash at least, have to switch from a duel-optimized sword and go for a more general battlefield-use blade.
    I've been offhandedly looking for Mii's to emulate, but all the characters I want look like garbage. The best I could find for Brawler were SF characters(who admittedly look good). There's a half decent chance I could do Dart from Legend of Dragoon for Sword Fighter. Gunner is baffling me though. You'd think there's be a good TF2 mii out there but unfortunately they all lack features really
  • Red Rick DiasRed Rick Dias The republica-- I mean, Titans, must be stopped! Joined: Posts: 3,337
    You'd think there's be a good TF2 mii out there but unfortunately they all lack features really

Try this? miicharacters.com/index.php?mii=13134

• LordWilliam1234LordWilliam1234 Lab Cat Joined: Posts: 22,447
    edited October 2014
    So, Eventhubs made an entire article about how Rosalina is top tier because of this:

29_rosaline_strong.gif

I...don't see how this makes her top tier. He could have hit both of them there...
    PSN/Steam/NNID/CFN: LordWilliam1234
    SFV: Ed, Zeku | Smash 4: Toon Link Blazblue: Kokonoe
    Smash 4 Frame Data
    SFV Frame Data
    SFV Combo Tier List (Season 2.1)
    edited October 2014
    w;khfgl2hfljhgwfjlg2jgfjgjg;ajgd SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT TIERS

Live footage of me reacting to this 'article' and all talk on the same topic (I'm the one not holding a gun):

9yr0.gif

The game has been out for 3 weeks in Japan and 1-2 days (counting broken street date) in the west. Here's everyone's precious tier list since they just have to fucking have one:

Intuitive and Obviously Powerful in the Immediate Term But Who Knows If This Will Remain True Long-Term Tier: Bowser, Little Mac.

Needs More Exploration Because the Game Just Released and we Don't Know Everything about them Yet Tier: Everyone else.
    People ask for tiers BECAUSE it's been out in Japan for 3 weeks. They can't go play and learn for themselves because they have to order a japan 3ds and a japanese copy to do so. So it's easier to ask 'Who's strong in this game' in the form off 'What's the tier list' than buy it and play it themselves.

And also because people are stupid.
    Oh, sorry. Forgot an entry on the tier list.

Fuck him up, mah homie Tier: Flying Man

That should cover everything for the earliest stages of the game's life. We can have a serious discussion on the topic in another month to six weeks because by then we'll have enough play data to form meaningful early impressions of what we understand the game to be like. Then we can do early tier lists with some basis in reality and results.
  • po pimpuspo pimpus Beyond Anger... Ultra Rage Joined: Posts: 26,372
    Or they could shut the fuck up and play the goddamn game.

Next idiot to bring up a shitty tier list is getting a rant.
    "Capcom should listen to their fans... Mega Man is a cool character." -2048 President Elect Kevin at Age 10
    po pimpus wrote: »
    Or they could shut the fuck up and play the goddamn game.

Next idiot to bring up a shitty tier list is getting a rant.

It's SOOOOOOOOO tempting to poke the bear right now. You should appreciate my saint-like restraint.
    That was less about tiers and more about "Why is this article-worthy." (Of course, it's EH, so I shouldn't have been surprised.) More on thinking of ways that they could have better dealt with that situation, to counter the OMG TOP TIER crap. I figured it would lead to some more theory fighting.

While I don't like early tier discussion either, the one thing I do like is that it can lead to theory fighting about ways to counter the strategy is seemingly OP. Theory fighting is one of my favorite aspects of fighting games...it essentially lets me "play the game" even if I'm in a position where I can't practice (like at work).

Also Po, I wouldn't mind hearing your rant if you can manage to tone it down to "healthy discussion" levels. If that's even possible.
    Smash 4 Frame Data
    SFV Frame Data
    Bious wrote: »
    God Tier: Phantom Angel

Top Tier: SonicHuman, Bious, Gespenst, AlphaCommando

High Tier: Lord William, Saitsu, Red

Mid: The rest of the proletariat scum.

Bottom: Sennin, Po

Fixed.

High Tier: Lord William, Saitsu, Red

Bottom: Sennin, Po

This tier list is outdated. Saitsu has been losing matchup after matchup since the Bait glitch was discovered.

Also I'm not on the list. More proof it's antiquated
  • BiousBious Seasons Greetings Joined: Posts: 11,749
    Sorry PA, god tier is reserved for Sakurai, Mewtwo, and people who don't piss sitting down.
    ░░░░░░░░░░▄▄█▀▀▄░░░░
    ░░░░░░░░▄█████▄▄█▄░░░░
    ░░░░░▄▄▄▀██████▄▄██░░░░
    ░░▄██░░█░█▀░░▄▄▀█░█░░░▄▄▄▄
    ▄█████░░██░░░▀▀░▀░█▀▀██▀▀▀█▀▄
    █████░█░░▀█░▀▀▀▀▄▀░░░███████▀
    ░▀▀█▄░██▄▄░▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀░▀▀▀▀
    ░▄████████▀▀▀▄▀░░░░
    ██████░▀▀█▄░░░█▄░░░░
    ░▀▀▀▀█▄▄▀░██████▄░░░░
    ░░░░░░░░░█████████░░░░
    Preppy wrote: »
    Panda Express is an Asian plot to destroy your bowels. Winners Just Say No.
    Sorry PA, god tier is reserved for Sakurai, Mewtwo, and people who don't piss sitting down.

I'll scoop up 'Made the damn league' tier thank you very much! The nerve of this guy.......
    Gilgamesh omission has been fixed.

High Tier: Gilgamesh, Cyntalan, Oz, Lord William, Saitsu, Red

Low: Phantom Angel (for his blasphemy)

Bottom: Sennin, Po,
    ░░░░░░░░░░▄▄█▀▀▄░░░░
    ░░░░░░░░▄█████▄▄█▄░░░░
    ░░░░░▄▄▄▀██████▄▄██░░░░
    ░▄████████▀▀▀▄▀░░░░
    ██████░▀▀█▄░░░█▄░░░░
    ░▀▀▀▀█▄▄▀░██████▄░░░░
    ░░░░░░░░░█████████░░░░
    edited October 2014
    And you're still not God Tier... :joy: :joy: :joy:
    As I believe this is much more relevant come later, here is a list on how to unlock all the characters and stages. Spoilering for obvious reasons
    Bowser Jr.
    Play 100 Smash mode matches.
    Get through Classic Mode as Bowser on Extra Spicy (6.0 Intensity) difficulty or higher.
    Dark Pit
    Play 50 Smash mode matches.
    Get through Classic Mode four times.
    Dr. Mario
    Play 60 Smash mode matches.
    Duck Hunt
    Play 110 Smash mode matches.
    Falco
    Play 20 Smash mode matches.
    Get through Classic Mode one time.
    Ganondorf
    Play 80 Smash mode matches.
    Jigglypuff
    Play 120 Smash mode matches.
    Get through Classic Mode on Infernal (7.0 Intensity) difficulty or higher.
    Lucina
    Play 40 Smash mode matches.
    Get through Classic Mode with Marth on Standard (2.0 Intensity) difficulty or higher without using any continues.
    Mr. Game & Watch
    Play 90 Smash mode matches.
    Ness
    Play 10 Smash mode matches.
    R.O.B.
    Play 70 Smash mode matches.
    Wario
    Play 30 Smash mode matches.
    How to unlock all the stages

The Smash mode stages which can be unlocked by simply playing battles can be opened by playing against any number of opponents using any settings.

If you’re battling CPU enemies, the difficulty level is irrelevant to unlocking stages.

The easiest way to complete the Smash mode matches as quickly as possible and unlock the stages is to set the rules to one stock and KO yourself immediately after the match begins. If winning the match is a requirement, set the CPU opponent to level one.

Somw stage unlocks require the use of a Final Smash. The easiest way of doing this is to play against the computer and set it to level one with only the Smash Ball item turned on. Pick the Smash Ball up when it appears, hit the enemy with it and complete the bout.

Balloon Fight
    Use Villager three times in a Smash mode bout.
    Dream Land
    Use a Final Smash as Kirby in a Smash mode bout.
    Flat Zone 2
    Play 90 Smash mode matches to fight Mr. Game & Watch, then defeat him to unlock both the character and the stage.
    Pac-Maze
    Use a Final Smash as Pac-Man in a Smash mode bout.
    Magicant
    Play 10 Smash mode matches to fight against Ness, then defeat him to unlock both the character and the stage.
    Mute City
    Win three Smash mode battles with Captain Falcon.
    WarioWare, Inc.
    Play 30 Smash mode matches to fight Wario, then defeat him to unlock both the character and the stage.

I was planning on asking for this... Thank you, sir. You deserve to share God Tier with me.

• drwill439drwill439 I'll never understand. Joined: Posts: 2,957
    edited October 2014
    As I believe this is much more relevant come later, here is a list on how to unlock all the characters and stages. Spoilering for obvious reasons
    Bowser Jr.
    Play 100 Smash mode matches.
    Get through Classic Mode as Bowser on Extra Spicy (6.0 Intensity) difficulty or higher.
    Dark Pit
    Play 50 Smash mode matches.
    Get through Classic Mode four times.
    Dr. Mario
    Play 60 Smash mode matches.
    Duck Hunt
    Play 110 Smash mode matches.
    Falco
    Play 20 Smash mode matches.
    Get through Classic Mode one time.
    Ganondorf
    Play 80 Smash mode matches.
    Jigglypuff
    Play 120 Smash mode matches.
    Get through Classic Mode on Infernal (7.0 Intensity) difficulty or higher.
    Lucina
    Play 40 Smash mode matches.
    Get through Classic Mode with Marth on Standard (2.0 Intensity) difficulty or higher without using any continues.
    Mr. Game & Watch
    Play 90 Smash mode matches.
    Ness
    Play 10 Smash mode matches.
    R.O.B.
    Play 70 Smash mode matches.
    Wario
    Play 30 Smash mode matches.
    How to unlock all the stages

The Smash mode stages which can be unlocked by simply playing battles can be opened by playing against any number of opponents using any settings.

If you’re battling CPU enemies, the difficulty level is irrelevant to unlocking stages.

The easiest way to complete the Smash mode matches as quickly as possible and unlock the stages is to set the rules to one stock and KO yourself immediately after the match begins. If winning the match is a requirement, set the CPU opponent to level one.

Somw stage unlocks require the use of a Final Smash. The easiest way of doing this is to play against the computer and set it to level one with only the Smash Ball item turned on. Pick the Smash Ball up when it appears, hit the enemy with it and complete the bout.

Balloon Fight
    Use Villager three times in a Smash mode bout.
    Dream Land
    Use a Final Smash as Kirby in a Smash mode bout.
    Flat Zone 2
    Play 90 Smash mode matches to fight Mr. Game & Watch, then defeat him to unlock both the character and the stage.
    Pac-Maze
    Use a Final Smash as Pac-Man in a Smash mode bout.
    Magicant
    Play 10 Smash mode matches to fight against Ness, then defeat him to unlock both the character and the stage.
    Mute City
    Win three Smash mode battles with Captain Falcon.
    WarioWare, Inc.
    Play 30 Smash mode matches to fight Wario, then defeat him to unlock both the character and the stage.
    Thanks for this. All of them seem pretty easy to snag. You don't even have to do single player to get anything. I'm wondering which stage will be quickest to kill opponents off of. Are there any smaller than FD/Omega mode stages?
    Steam: [PCFL]Dr. Will Xbox 360/One: DrW1ll439
    PSN: drwill439 CFN:WKA439 (PS4) or drwill439(Steam)
    Just to ask, is that list known to be good? Can anyone verify it either directly, or even "I saw someone do that and it's real" or so on?
    Just to ask, is that list known to be good? Can anyone verify it either directly, or even "I saw someone do that and it's real" or so on?

Maybe, maybe not, but I haven'tbeen able to find much if anything that deviates from it when I was perusing earlier
    Gilgamesh omission has been fixed.

Dang it, now Po has access to the "Low Tier Hero" OS.
    Smash 4 Frame Data
    SFV Frame Data
  • drwill439drwill439 I'll never understand. Joined: Posts: 2,957

I saw a skimmed a similar list the other day on Reddit. They didn't have the alternate unlocking methods for characters, nor did it have the stage unlock methods, but the match numbers and characters match up (I remembered Dr. Mario and Jiggs from the reddit list, matches up here).
    Steam: [PCFL]Dr. Will Xbox 360/One: DrW1ll439
    PSN: drwill439 CFN:WKA439 (PS4) or drwill439(Steam)
    Here's the list according to Smashpedia, so make of that what you will
    Character Special Unlock Matches number
    Bowser Jr. Beat Classic Mode with Bowser on 7.0 difficulty or higher. 100
    Dark Pit Beat Classic Mode 4 times. 50
    Duck Hunt Beat Classic Mode 8 times. 110
    Dr. Mario Beat Classic Mode as Mario. 60
    Falco Beat Classic Mode for the first time. 20
    Ganondorf Beat Classic Mode with Link or Zelda. 80
    Jigglypuff Beat Classic Mode with a character using customizations. 120
    Lucina Beat Classic Mode with Marth, Ike and Robin. 40
    Mr. Game & Watch Beat Classic Mode 10 times. 90
    Ness Beat Classic Mode 2 times. 10
    R.O.B. Beat Classic Mode after obtaining 200 figures. 70
    Wario Beat 100 Man Smash.
  • Swedish ChefSwedish Chef Cream of the Crop! Joined: Posts: 8,888
    #BANNED: Swedish Chef

Fixed that for you. coffee.gif
    TAKING YOU PUNKS DOWN!!!
    ^Bubbleberry_VII you are so godlike for making this.
    Well, guess we'll know in a day or two. Thanks for posting it!
  • CyntalanCyntalan The Metamoderator™ Is Here Joined: Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    po, I think I know how to handle my situation now regarding LW's weeklong character.

As I have it narrowed down to 5, I believe I shall let you weigh in on the final cut, win or lose your matches with LW. Keep in mind, the reason behind this is to determine the True Horror Of Smash for LW, and I have presented evidence on why you should pick one over the other. I would like for you to present your recommendation and why.

I also ask you because I want a second opinion. Perhaps in your time in this thread, you have discovered the real one, or perhaps going through this thread again will lead you to it where I may have not seen. As it stands, I believe the evidence most strongly stands upon Mr. Game & Watch (I only went back 6 months), but again, another pair of eyes and another point of view may lead to a different result.
    ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ PRAISE HELIX ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

"NO! NOT LIKE THIS!" - Random audience member, Evo 2k9 SC4 finals. Go Hilde!
    "You are a weird, adorable little man, OZ." - Vynce
    "I violated marc but we definitely cool now." - dre37k
  • po pimpuspo pimpus Beyond Anger... Ultra Rage Joined: Posts: 26,372
    I, too believe that LW's most hated character is Game & Watch.

However, I'm not sure if that should be his punishment yet...
    "Capcom should listen to their fans... Mega Man is a cool character." -2048 President Elect Kevin at Age 10
    OH COME ON!!!

Why are you teaming up on me now?!
    Smash 4 Frame Data
    SFV Frame Data
  • CyntalanCyntalan The Metamoderator™ Is Here Joined: Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    edited October 2014
    OH COME ON!!!

Why are you teaming up on me now?!

Quiet you.
    po pimpus wrote: »
    I, too believe that LW's most hated character is Game & Watch.

However, I'm not sure if that should be his punishment yet...

You have another character in mind? All I can do is pick his character.
    ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ PRAISE HELIX ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

"NO! NOT LIKE THIS!" - Random audience member, Evo 2k9 SC4 finals. Go Hilde!
    "You are a weird, adorable little man, OZ." - Vynce
    "I violated marc but we definitely cool now." - dre37k
    Cyntalan wrote: »
    You have another character in mind? All I can do is pick his character.

He still thinks he's gonna win, which has more consequences for me. Namely an avatar change for a month.
    Smash 4 Frame Data
    SFV Frame Data
    Okay, putting up one HP Fire Froakie on LW to win.
    ░░░░░░░░░░▄▄█▀▀▄░░░░
    ░░░░░░░░▄█████▄▄█▄░░░░
    ░░░░░▄▄▄▀██████▄▄██░░░░
    ░▄████████▀▀▀▄▀░░░░
    ██████░▀▀█▄░░░█▄░░░░
    ░▀▀▀▀█▄▄▀░██████▄░░░░
    ░░░░░░░░░█████████░░░░
This discussion has been closed.