Bison (dictator) Thread

Comments

• 7 5 07 5 0 Joined: Posts: 458
    California sounds greater than I thought. Sounds cool to hear old school gatherings pop up. One of these days I'm going to have to make a trip there to experience the fighting scene. I presume some of you players are in your 30s like me long enough to be gaming.
    I used to verse Nohoho in Chinatown NYC arcade ten years ago, but he has disappeared from scene and stopped updating his blog then never heard from him since.

But HF is one helluva fun game for nostalgia sake with my favorable cps1 audio. Anytime I play ST, I just look back and say I miss the cps1 old days. If any of you STer's are in the NYC area, hit me up here. Maybe a ranbat can happen at my workplace.
    *raises drink* Cheers to the community
  • eltroubleeltrouble Joined: Posts: 5,714
    7 5 0 wrote: »
    California sounds greater than I thought. Sounds cool to hear old school gatherings pop up. One of these days I'm going to have to make a trip there to experience the fighting scene. I presume some of you players are in your 30s like me long enough to be gaming.
    I used to verse Nohoho in Chinatown NYC arcade ten years ago, but he has disappeared from scene and stopped updating his blog then never heard from him since.

But HF is one helluva fun game for nostalgia sake with my favorable cps1 audio. Anytime I play ST, I just look back and say I miss the cps1 old days. If any of you STer's are in the NYC area, hit me up here. Maybe a ranbat can happen at my workplace.
    *raises drink* Cheers to the community

We have it pretty good here in Cali, but as it is, the scene doesn't meet up NEARLY as we need to in order to get better. Everyone's just too busy with real life stuff, as the older you get, the less time you have to spend hanging out at arcades late at night.

Most of us are in our late 20s/early 30s. I've actually managed to get a few players joining our weekly tournaments at Super Arcade who got into the scene because of SF4, so they're most like early 20s. We got some nice variation.

NH2 pretty much disappeared off the face of the planet once ToL1 ended. He packed it up and rode off into the sunset never to be heard from again.

NYC still has ST gatherings here and there. Mostly they get together for the 2old2furious tournaments at Next Level down in Brooklyn. They get something like 30 entrants, which is a pretty big deal for ST outside of majors, so you might want to look into attending those if you haven't already.

I like HF. Very fun game to play, but ultimately, there's probably not enough meat in there to keep a healthy scene going long into the current age of gaming. It's very simple, very little in luck, rewards skill and substance over flash, and only 12 characters to play with, most of whom don't get played. It was great for a time when there was nothing else to play, but now that we have like a thousand-and-one fighting games to choose from, games need a bit more to draw in new crowds.
    Excuse the derailment in this thread, my apologies. No SF2 of any variation so far :(
    this new place has hit SNK titles than capcom games. didn't expect that, Good thing I'm a SNKer.
    http://barcadestmarks.com/games/
    Anyone buffer a standing short to super consistently?
    I pulled it off twice only and need tips on that.
    Anyone buffer a standing short to super consistently?
    I pulled it off twice only and need tips on that.

Never just straight up. I've done the cr.jab, st.jab x super combo, although you buffer the super input before you hit st.jab.
    I've been connecting jab, short x super knee press gradually.
  • Jion_WansuJion_Wansu Joined: Posts: 6,061
    Old Dictator does have a crossup psycho crusher. Also, both dictators can cancel a jump kick in to a knee press, without any other moves in between.
  • ShinVegaShinVega Shoryuken'n est. 92' Joined: Posts: 191
    How Jion_Wansu? How can you x j.kick into Head Stomp!?
    No freely available material is allowed on this site, no exceptions. - ptp
    SF2 Code v1.0: t s+ T++ r f++ g+ m+ s+ v++ M++ n++:-- o++
    Negative edge
  • hlidskjafthlidskjaft Joined: Posts: 32
    how do you cross up with psycho crusher while the opponent is in the corner? i seen yuu-vega use that cross up. but every time i try to execute, i remain in the same spot.
  • FuddFudd High Level Parking Joined: Posts: 1,215
    hlidskjaft wrote: »
    how do you cross up with psycho crusher while the opponent is in the corner? i seen yuu-vega use that cross up. but every time i try to execute, i remain in the same spot.
    It's character/side dependent.

"See, Super Turbo is a real man's game... But Street Fighter 4's like Chuck-E-Cheese, baby. Y'know what I'm saying? Where a kid can be a kid. I'm a grown-ass man, so clearly I'm not old enough to go in the ball pit." -Steve Harrison (Translation: dat Fo' make you soft)
    Super Turbo Revival
    "Everyone has a plan until they get magnetized." -SpiderDan
    PSN: Metonymous | Battle.net: Noun#1214 | Steam: Noun Proper | YT
    can someone please review my video?

challenge-6563-1455353725.81@ssf2xj

i was playing on fightcade. it's about my 4th-5th time playing ST online. I've always played against the CPU. I can say I main vega (dicator, will be refering him as vega), and i'm pretty confident with him. i need pointers against hondas and blankas. i struggled a lot against blanky since he kept jumping foward with a MK and following up with MP and bite. my opponent kept doing that over and over and i couldn't figure out how to get out of that. i manage to eventually beat his strategy by doing a "sac-throw", but my sac-throws attempt failed sometimes and he would just 3 hit dizzy combo me.

tl:dr pointers against jumping mk + bite blankas.

can someone please review my video?

challenge-6563-1455353725.81@ssf2xj

i was playing on fightcade. it's about my 4th-5th time playing ST online. I've always played against the CPU. I can say I main vega (dicator, will be refering him as vega), and i'm pretty confident with him. i need pointers against hondas and blankas. i struggled a lot against blanky since he kept jumping foward with a MK and following up with MP and bite. my opponent kept doing that over and over and i couldn't figure out how to get out of that. i manage to eventually beat his strategy by doing a "sac-throw", but my sac-throws attempt failed sometimes and he would just 3 hit dizzy combo me.

tl:dr pointers against jumping mk + bite blankas.

As a general advice, it's helpful to watch matches on YouTube of high-level Dictators to get a feel for what to do in the matchup. My usual go-to player to watch is YuuVega and Taira.

Versus Honda, just play hit and run and don't challenge him in the close mixup game. You will lose. Get your hits in or chip damage and run away. Conserve super meter for punishes or escaping his tick throw attempts. Jumping back is a great way to punish Hondas who like to abuse fierce headbutts, REALLY good Dictators are able to stuff it clean with a st.jab (very tough to do consistently though) On knockdown, it seems best to go for a safe crossup attempt into a blockstring that does chip damage and run away.

Versus Blanka it's pretty much the same idea as his tick throws are virtually guaranteed. Against j.MK the most successful things I've landed is a preemptive j.MP juggle or j.LP. As you noted, sac throw also works, but requires that they hit you high on the head. If they catch on to what you're doing ,they'll just aim low and hit you clean. Being proactive in getting your hits is the same strategy here. Stick and move, hit and run, just don't stay stationary for long.
    vega vs deejay help please. i was up against deejay and he did the cheapest shit ever. i know there's no such thing as "cheap" when you're trying to win (balrog, o.sagat players) but seriously. this deejay would just cornered me every time and there was nothing i could do to get out. his jumping jab and short have higher priority over my pyscho crusher. once i was in the corner, he would just foward jump jab (or short), and i could either take damage, and then be thrown, or block and be throw. his throw seems to have higher priority over mines because i couldn't get a reversal throw in there.
  • Born2SPDBorn2SPD SPD Fanatic Joined: Posts: 276
    At that kind of situation dictator doesn't has any move that beats Dj's jumping jab unfortunatelly, but really, this isnt as strong of a tactic as you think, since Jab doesnt give him enough block/hit stun Deejay will usually land on very little frame advantage if any (not enough for a combo/blockstring), so its obvious that he is going for a throw, and no, Dj's throw has no priority or anything of the kind against Dictator's throw.. in fact, Dic's throw has more range so It's Dj that should care about throw disadvantages, not you. The way out is simply throwing him, really. He probably just has his ticking timing perfectly.
    I keep reading stuff about ST revival, about bringing this game back to life...
    Its nice to see big tourneys happening and old top players giving this game a chance again...
    But what we really need is new players... And having a strong scene obviously helps...
    But in my opinion what will really bring new players to our community is good tutorials/character guides so they can learn easily and have something to start... So, actually good players, stop being selfish and write stuff about the chars you know! The wiki is lacking so much basic content... Stop being lazy and do something about it.
    "My usual go-to player to watch is YuuVega and Taira."

Same here. Does Taira still compete? He's been missed.

Can someone confirm if Dictator has a full death combo? I tried it and couldn't believe it.
    Cross up HK, 4x shorts, knee press, dizzied opponent, repeat 6 hit combo, done. This was done on honda if that matters.
    vega vs deejay help please. i was up against deejay and he did the cheapest shit ever. i know there's no such thing as "cheap" when you're trying to win (balrog, o.sagat players) but seriously. this deejay would just cornered me every time and there was nothing i could do to get out. his jumping jab and short have higher priority over my pyscho crusher. once i was in the corner, he would just foward jump jab (or short), and i could either take damage, and then be thrown, or block and be throw. his throw seems to have higher priority over mines because i couldn't get a reversal throw in there.

Cheap is winning effectively. It's best to approach the game with a "huh, that's a tough situation, wonder what I can do about it" mentality. Again, watching high-level YouTube matches helps here a LOT. Just analyze and x-copy the strats until you eventually learn why or how certain counters operate.

That being said, it's a tough match for Dictator. He has a lot of tough matchups. Playing Dictator at any level requires both a high knowledge of the game and a strong ability to play vs. the player and not the character. If his jump jab is bothering you, just sac throw. With good timing, you should be able to throw him when he lands from the jump attack.
  • oldschool_BRoldschool_BR Projectile spammer Joined: Posts: 2,442
    Can someone confirm if Dictator has a full death combo? I tried it and couldn't believe it.
    Cross up HK, 4x shorts, knee press, dizzied opponent, repeat 6 hit combo, done. This was done on honda if that matters.
    Either jumping attack from the front, st.short, cr.fwd xx knee press, or cross-up fwd or RH, st.short x2, cr.fwd xx psycho crusher ('cos there is not enough time for knee press, which demands more charge time). That's a guaranteed dizzy, and the next combo kills - unless maybe Gief, I don't play him.
    The knee press happens to work on cross up. I've done it. The st. short x3 into knee press btw. An early RH cross up is key to pulling off the special move (never deep jumping attack) since is one of the few short height characters squatting at you.

I'm experimenting against different characters and will post later.
    The knee press happens to work on cross up. I've done it. The st. short x3 into knee press btw. An early RH cross up is key to pulling off the special move (never deep jumping attack) since is one of the few short height characters squatting at you.

I'm experimenting against different characters and will post later.
    You are right. It is good to use the short version when the cross-up fails, so it is safe on block. I've seen a bunch of YuuVega footage yesterday, and he uses it that way. When it connects, he uses psycho crusher. I suspect this is due to the high stun on the aerial attack: the knee press will dizzy on the first hit, so psycho crusher ends up doing more damage.

I know Chun, Claw and Dee Jay are thin, so the full cross-up combo does not work on them. I ain't sure which ones work on who, though, and it is not in the wiki, yet.
    Yeah it is character dependent as I expected. Also, when a player counter attacks the opponent usually deals more damage out of them; hence I pulled off the full death combo 12 hitter while I was at work taking a break. Honda randomly gets dazed at the last knee press hit. So try to strive for the 6 hitters and finish it up to end the round achieving the full death combo.
    Excuse the derailment in this thread, my apologies. No SF2 of any variation so far :(
    this new place has hit SNK titles than capcom games. didn't expect that, Good thing I'm a SNKer.
    http://barcadestmarks.com/games/

Update: barcade now has Alpha 2. Not an Alpha guy, but to those in the NYC area next week, I will swing by there for Crazy Taxi, SamSho 2, Metal Slug 2, and Strider 2, a bunch of 2's XD
    Still play Crazy Taxi on Dreamcast and Steam.
    jesus chirst, against gief there's no hope. he can just spam lariats and none of my special moves will hit him. lariat also works as anti air against vega.
    jesus chirst, against gief there's no hope. he can just spam lariats and none of my special moves will hit him. lariat also works as anti air against vega.
    His sweep can punish lariats, but you gotta react fast. The matches of Murasaki against Gunze should provide insight on how you play this. Also, watch YuuVega, the one Dictator master.

death traps against vega.

many players do this death trap against me, just as effective as gief or hawk.

with deejay: jumping jabs or shorts will cancel out any of vega's special. in the corner i can't seem to get out of the block stun death trap. they will jump forward with jab or short continuously, crouching jab or shot, then fire ball. rinse and repeat until chipped to death.

2. chun li: standing strong will cancel out vegas specials. crouching forward will cancel out vega's reversals except his super. in the corner this is super effective and i can't get out of. they just execute a standing strong, another strong, fireball, and repeat until i die. i can't manage to get out of this. even if i reversal psycho crusher or scissor kicks her standing strong, or crouching forward or fireball with cancel me out.

chun li players do not even have to fire ball. they can just strong or forward tick into a throw.
    Whiff punish Gief's lariat with a sweep. If this is proving too risky for you, you can also try to react to which lariat they are doing and just walk up st.MK or st.HK to either punish, push them away, or counterpoke their follow up poke. Use st.HP as an anti-air, it works extremely well against Gief's jump attacks.

Learn to use your normals or make risky jump forward attempts. Dictator is not a character where his special moves will save you. You need a lot of knowledge and experience in knowing where and when to use his normal and command normal attacks. It's part of what makes his design extremely unique and interesting.

slide
  • RelinquishedRelinquished Joined: Posts: 3
    edited March 2016
    As Eugene and others have mentioned, slide is your best punish for constant lariat. You have to be a little careful as good Zangief players will use the fast lariat as well, which can have you careening into a blocking gief, ready for the SPD.

You'll want to keep him at your MK and HK ranges as with the tip of these moves Zangief cannot sweep you. There are a few ways you can play this one, so study Yuuvega, Taira, and also Murasaki for 3 different takes on the same match. For me personally, using scissors or psycho crusher in this match is not recommended. Gief has options to stop scissors and can get you into SPD if you time it poorly, so you need to be patient and careful.

Learn the spacing for your attacks and hold him down with your standing kicks, stopping jump in attempts with either Neutral HK, Standing HP, or sometimes Jump Strong depending on the jump angle.
  • ExposedDExposedD NO SQUIGGERINO Joined: Posts: 6,392
    Make gief fear your standing roundhouse or mk and you can implement consistent walkup throws to your game.
    affinity wrote: »
    I mean, you can't even play as a cat in that game. wtf. it's 2017.
    chadouken! wrote: »
    It's called Sonic the Fucking Hedgehog, not Sonic the Cat, you dumb bitch.
    edited June 2016
    Dude in Singapore picked Akuma and still beat him Lmao
    replay:challenge-3301-1466006401.68@ssf2xj
  • PresidentGuile69PresidentGuile69 Joined: Posts: 4
    If you select Bison with any button, the colours are different:
    Low Punch: Blue - Yellow
    Low Kick: Light Blue - Red
    Medium Punch: Green - Orange
    Medium Kick: Brown - Black
    High Punch: White - Red
    High Kick: Purple - Aqua
    Start: Black - White
    Hold: Gold
    The full color list can be found for each character on the ST SRK Wiki.
  • PastriesPastries Yep Joined: Posts: 48
    edited January 11
    Walk Super.

Years ago people argued its execution speed; my experience was to execute it quickly with careful neutral joystick movements.

my fight moneyyyyyyyyyyy
    How effective is this in ST? Walk up super setups that look similar to this have been known for some time.
    edited January 11
    eltrouble wrote: »
    How effective is this in ST? Walk up super setups that look similar to this have been known for some time.

Hi eltrouble,

Agreed, I saw it a decade ago, and you can do it with DeeJay, Honda, Blanka, Boxer, Chun, though a little differently in each case. The closest to dictator's is DeeJay's. I didn't see any tutorials online so I made this clip.

As far as effectiveness, in the right situation, i.e, the corner, you could feign a tick throw with 2 jabs and do it, or whiff some crouching short/medium kicks and walk forward and do it. In Japanese tournaments I see it pop up occasionally, with the tick throw setup, and I've seen a few videos in which Rizone, the American player, does it.
    my fight moneyyyyyyyyyyy
    I mean, it's an effective trick for sure, but I wasn't entirely sure if there were input window differences between ST and HDR for that move.

Outside of Chun and Honda's glitched supers, I think Dictator benefits the most from it, since his fast walk speed makes it appear as if he's going in for a tick throw a split second before he activates.
    It catches people off guard.

Sirlin says the input windows are the same, but I haven't tried it on ST proper (maybe you can test it?).

The charge time and motion are the same except that it's not a fluid movement from back to forward as you normally would do.

On a stick, it needs to spring back to neutral between each movement. On a pad (what I used), press each direction as a separate input, i.e, take your thumb off the pad and let it to go to neutral, then press the next direction.

It has to be done very quickly. If you watch the video, you can see the exact moments I'm pressing the directions as Dictator looks like he's having a small seizure.

my fight moneyyyyyyyyyyy
    I've been able to pull off the walk-in supers consistently. It also works the same way in HDR.
    Dictator is extremely fun to use.

To reiterate on the full death combo (Touch of death?)
    It also works against Guile, Chun?, Zangeif, Hawk, Sagat and possibly a couple others.

It is random doing it on Chun. I always found her xenophobic executing moves on her. It's like you need a vip pass to grant access.
    In most cases it is easier to do MK cross up on the rest of characters.
  • irl II Wilsonirl II Wilson Play third strike,its a good game. Joined: Posts: 422
    New to st. Playing against o,ken and he keeps using tatsu and im sitting down back. It keeps going over me of course but every button i pres to punish it misses. Can someone tell me how to punish tatsu ?
    "I remind you of the things you were made to forget."
    My Youtube channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0T85fjkfLsfIuSPLTEkdmw
    New to st. Playing against o,ken and he keeps using tatsu and im sitting down back. It keeps going over me of course but every button i pres to punish it misses. Can someone tell me how to punish tatsu ?

Which character are you playing as?