Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

drunkards_walk

About

Username
drunkards_walk
Joined
Visits
4,545
Last Active
Roles
Registered
Points
2,714
Posts
3,443
  • Re: Guilty Gear Xrd -REVELATOR- one of life's gilty pleasures

    Naeras wrote: »
    However, I think you're wrong about some other stuff too. Ravens normals are virtually unchallengable too

    Nope.
    he has the best normals in the game on the ground and in the air.

    Uh. No. His air normals are quite good, but Millia, Chipp, Elphelt, Bedman and Jam all have scarier air normals. As for ground normals? They're also good, but by no means the best. I'd put Sol, Ky, Elphelt, Venom, Chipp, Johnny and Jack-O clearly above him in that regard.
    Any hit he gets leads into a knockdown and then you have to guess (even off a so-called "bad" knockdown his pressure forces you to guess, and off a good knock down you literally guess high/low).

    First off, he does not get a knockdown from everything. Those "bad" knockdowns aren't even scary. A lot of that pressure isn't real, test it in the lab.
    His "proper" knockdown game is legit scary, but that doesn't bother me.
    He has the best fireball in the game and can play a solid keepaway, his neutral in general is really amazing. He's every bit as good as some of those characters you mentioned above. He's basically a turbo-charged version of Ky; Ky with a command grab, wayy better conversions, way better mixups, better neutral/normals, an invincible forward dash, ans a better fireball. His trade off is slightly worse defensive options, yet he still has one of the best metered reversals in the game.

    It's kinda funny that you think he's a turbocharged Ky, when Ky straight up beats him in the matchup. Raven also struggles with Sol and Chipp if I'm not mistaken.

    You're still not mentioning his mobility issues; lacking a proper airdash is a huge deal in a lot of matchups, especially if he gets cornered. He also doesn't hit very hard at all, especially compared to pre-nerf Elphelt, Johnny and Zato (who would probably kill you if they touched you twice). Obviously damage isn't everything, but obscene damage and amazing neutral is why those three were retarded, and why I think the comparison between Rev2 Raven and those characters is just silly.
    Not to add that this is all on the game's most simple character. It's just really fucking dumb, and like I said, it's bad design. If he had all that but required eddie execution then I literally wouldn't give a fuck

    Okay, so everyone's on the same page now. It's literally just the salt talking.

    Those characters you mentioned don't have better air normals than Raven, they just have a normal or two that is really strong (Jam j.S, millia j.P, bedman j.P, el j.S), while Ravens entire arsenal is godlike (j.P, j.k, j.S, j.H) are all really strong. The only one who even comes close in that regard is Chipp, but even his aren't as good imo.

    Same thing with grounded normals, his entire arsenal is crazy (5K, 4P. 5H, 2H, 2S, 6P, f.S) none of those characters you mentioned have such a solid arsenal. The only one who even comes close imo would be Ky; I think including Chipp is silly because his are more designed for pressure rather than neutral control (although raven pressure normals are solid too).

    Also his pressure is definitely real, he gets a meaty and then you are forced to try and anticipate an iad or get frame trapped, or if he has 25 meter you're holding a mixup; it's a pretty scary scenario to be in considering how crazy his conversion game is and especially considering once he gets the good knockdown you're in a "guess wrong and die" scenario. Also, A LOT of his pressure/combos are burst safe, so it's just all around bad news.

    People I've talked to say he goes even with Ky, flat out beats Sol, and has a slight disadvantage with Chipp, shrug. I also disagree about the damage. Pre-nerf Millia and Bedman were top tiers (arguably the best in the game) and both did below average damage. However, they were really godlike for the same reasons Raven is godlike now: godlike neutral, godlike conversions, and oki/mixup where you are forced to guess.
  • Re: Guilty Gear Xrd -REVELATOR- one of life's gilty pleasures

    Naeras wrote: »
    Naeras wrote: »
    Raven has nothing on Rev Johnny or SIGN Elphelt, and I think several other of the SIGN top tiers (Ram, Zato, Millia) were significantly scarier than Raven is now, too.



    Is it the fact that Raven is an easy character, while the others here are either intermediate or incredibly difficult to play?

    This is my biggest issue with him by far. Chipp is really strong (although not as strong as Raven), but he at least has some hard to learn execution techniques and still has to take risks in his approach while being really low health. Johnny requires a fair bit of executional prowess and the same can be said for El (she has a ton of character specific combos and doing her unblockables requires an intricate knowledge of wakeup timings among other things). Raven has none of those things. Even pre-patch Sin was less egregious than Raven. Raven is just way to simple, his oki/mixup is just too straight-forward strong; he's the easiest, most straight-forward character in the game while also being the strongest character in the game, which imo is terrible design and a really silly combination.

    However, I think you're wrong about some other stuff too. Ravens normals are virtually unchallengable too, he has the best normals in the game on the ground and in the air. Any hit he gets leads into a knockdown and then you have to guess (even off a so-called "bad" knockdown his pressure forces you to guess, and off a good knock down you literally guess high/low). He has the best fireball in the game and can play a solid keepaway, his neutral in general is really amazing. He's every bit as good as some of those characters you mentioned above. He's basically a turbo-charged version of Ky; Ky with a command grab, wayy better conversions, way better mixups, better neutral/normals, an invincible forward dash, ans a better fireball. His trade off is slightly worse defensive options, yet he still has one of the best metered reversals in the game. Not to add that this is all on the game's most simple character. It's just really fucking dumb, and like I said, it's bad design. If he had all that but required eddie execution then I literally wouldn't give a fuck
  • Re: Guilty Gear Xrd -REVELATOR- one of life's gilty pleasures

    I think it kind of sucks that we are likely going to be stuck with Rev2 for a while. While generally the balance is really good, I still think this is the worst version of the game to date just because of how large the disparity is between the top tier characters and the other characters (even the high mid tiers). Chipp and Raven (and arguably Johnny and Ky) are just wayyy too strong relative to everyone else atm. However, the good news is that they are only a few adjustments away from having a really balanced game.
  • Re: Guilty Gear Xrd -REVELATOR- one of life's gilty pleasures

    Rev2 Millia is fun as shit, I might start gradually transitioning to full time Millia; she is just 100x more interesting these days. They did a really good job with her in Rev2
  • Re: MVC Infinite Lounge: Monster Hunter is U N G G A W A I F U 4 U N G G A L A I F U

    Syke1 wrote: »
    Syke1 wrote: »
    Where were all you "other game" guys when the AH3 US lobbies were barren as shit? Why is fightcade still iffy on everything not ST/KOF/3S?

    Was that post supposed to be a counter-point? Because you do see that all it does is lend credence to my argument; I would say that mostly like everyone was playing Capcom games, and still are on FightCade

    I'm trying to ask what the fuck do these people complaining even play? Marvel players in general play a lot of stuff. Calling them capcuks have always been weird to me. Always beating on Capcom players play...? They don't touch SNK or French Bread titles and only dive into ArcSys stuff for a week. They mostly just sit in streams and kappa and moan. With a vocal presence so loud you would think the other games would be maxed out in tourney reg
    Syke1 wrote: »
    Syke1 wrote: »
    Where were all you "other game" guys when the AH3 US lobbies were barren as shit? Why is fightcade still iffy on everything not ST/KOF/3S?

    Was that post supposed to be a counter-point? Because you do see that all it does is lend credence to my argument; I would say that mostly like everyone was playing Capcom games, and still are on FightCade

    I'm trying to ask what the fuck do these people complaining even play? Marvel players in general play a lot of stuff. Calling them capcuks have always been weird to me. Always beating on Capcom players play...? They don't touch SNK or French Bread titles and only dive into ArcSys stuff for a week. They mostly just sit in streams and kappa and moan. With a vocal presence so loud you would think the other games would be maxed out in tourney reg

    I can only speak for myself, my main game is GG. However, there are loads of other games out there with a combination of fun gameplay and good animation/looks: GG, UNist, BB, AH, Melty, Skullgirls, Chaos Code, Catherine, etc. All I'm saying is it's hypocritical to be like "I only care about the gameplay" when a lot of the people saying it only play SF5 and MvCi. Plus it sort of implies that MvCi having good gameplay is a foregone conclusion when in fact it is debatable.