1-UP: Resurrection - Blacksburg, VA - 3/19/2011

Presented by the Gamer’s Group of Virginia Tech

Saturday, March 19th, 2011.

Casuals begin at 12 pm, Tournament will begin at 1 pm. Schedule to be posted soon!

Located on Virginia Tech’s Campus, Torgersen Hall, Room 1060
(Torgersen Hall located on Drillfield Drive)
Blacksburg, VA

Here are some pictures of Torgersen Hall as well as a map of the campus, with eligible parking in yellow. (Any F/S or Faculty/Staff spot is open on the weekends. Avoid S or Service spots, though).
Torgersen Hall from the Drillfield
Torgersen Hall from the Alumni Mall/Squires Student Center
Campus Map

It’s time for the first local Marvel vs. Capcom 3 Tournament in the New River Valley! We’ve rented out one of the largest rooms on Virginia Tech’s campus to accommodate any number of people who wish to compete. We encourage people of all skill levels to attend, as we are focused on providing both serious competition and a healthy venue for new tournament players to enter the tournament community.

Schedule:

Set-Up - 11:30 am - It’d be great if everyone who volunteered to bring TVs/consoles/setups could get to the room between 11:30 and Noon.

Casuals - begin at 12 noon
SSF4, Melee and Blazblue - 1 pm
3rd Strike - 2 pm
Marvel vs. Capcom 3 - 3 pm

• Keep in mind that these are very rough estimates, as it is difficult to predict how long each game will take. The respective games won’t begin before the listed time.

• Registration for games will end about 15 minutes before the game is scheduled to start. I’d advise for people to be at the venue 30 minutes before the scheduled time.

*When your name is called for a match, you’ll have 5 minutes to respond. If we don’t hear from you within those 5 minutes you’ll forfeit the match.

NOTE: Shuma-Gorath and Jill Valentine are allowed in the MvC3 tournament.

List of Games and Entrance Fees:

Marvel vs. Capcom 3 - $10
Super Street Fighter 4 - $10
Street Fighter 3: 3rd Strike - $5
Blazblue: CS - $5
Super Smash Bros. Melee - $3

Payouts will be 60%/30%/10% for all games.

The venue fee will be $5 at the door, but only $3 if you pre-register online right here: https://survey.vt.edu/survey/entry.jsp?id=1296800414692

While obviously 3s will be played on PS2 and SSBM will be played on Gamecube/Wii; MvC3, SSF4 and Blazblue: CS will be played on both XBOX 360 and PS3 as we will be playing on whatever setups people are able to provide. You are responsible for bringing your own controller/stick to the tournament.

Again, please pre-register online to get your discount and to help us prepare for the number of entrants we’ll be having. The link is here: https://survey.vt.edu/survey/entry.jsp?id=1296800414692

Make sure to bring some form of ID with you on the day of the tournament to get your discount for pre-registering.

If you require any more info, feel free to PM me!

Search “1-UP: Resurrection” on Facebook!

DISCLAIMER:
The tournament hosts will not be responsible for stolen property or damages. Please keep an eye on your belongings to prevent any incident. Also money will not be reimbursed for being disqualified after the tournament has started, so be sure to stay near the venue if you are participating.

I’m there. Bringing a 360 and some games. GET HYPE!

Ill be bringing a PS2 with 3s.

Hopefully people can bring PS2 sticks!!! :open_mouth:

M.V.C.FRAAAAAAAAAAAAAY

And I am in there on that Melee.

Will be there, looking forward to it :tup:

jyeah

wouldn’t miss it

We’re on the event calendar!!

I’ll bring these:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/516nqDUGDSL.SL500_AA300_PIbundle-3,TopRight,0,0_AA300_SH20.jpg

And this:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51O6dbGTjOL.SL500_AA300.jpg

I’ll be there for sure. looking forward to it.

Now posted on dustloop: 1-UP: Resurrection - Blacksburg, VA - 3/19/2011

How many 3s players do we have so far on that survey? ;D

Only 10 right now. You’ve been repping the tournament up in the MD/NOVA thread, right?

I can’t see too many people coming from too far out for $5 tournaments.

Yeah, entry fees should be $5 minimum, more like $10 if you want to get people from outside of VATech area to show up.

good points. although I am trying to get others to travel to the tournament I didn’t want to leave the Tech crowd out as well. at the very least it should be a test of skill for most other players if they wish to travel

Well, that’s the issue that comes up then. If your local scene won’t put up $10 to play, they can’t expect others to put up much more than that in travel expenses to bring comp to your door. Personally, I need at least the prospect of breaking even, for me to drive for hours.

Maybe the idea of outside comp coming in will energize your local base. Maybe it won’t…

And not to be a dick, but Blacksburg doesn’t have some rep for strong play, that would bring in outside players. SF4 isn’t particularly fun against weaker players anyway. The idea of driving 5 hours to play players without a strong rep, while guaranteed a financial loss isn’t really attractive.

Again… not trying to be a dick… just trying to give you an honest look at what out of towners are considering. You can decide whether or not you want to cater to that in any way.

Good luck.

The solution would be to offer a pot bonus, keep the entry fee low but still have a decent pot for the winners. i troll u.

Nah the input is appreciated. Finding a balance between appealing to the casual players of Tech and the more serious players of surrounding areas (as well as those in Blacksburg) has proven to be slightly difficult. Might as well advertise in other threads however just to see if anyone has an interest.

The idea of a pot bonus actually is a good one… granted the source of that extra money is the problem. I’ll see if I can’t work something out.

good shit… event host who handles constructive critisim usually fairs the best.

As of right now there is a decent possibility that Gamestop will either sponsor the tournament or provide a prize for the winners in addition to the pots.

I’m going to consider raising the entrance fees for the other games as well.