2010: Most Ironic Ending

Thanks for clicking on my post. Not really sure of what to make of the situation that has been handed to me. However, I am open to any NON-Trolling thoughts and opinions.

Back story:

My friends and I were sitting at a restaurant one day and deemed me as the ?Chandler? of the group. This is mostly because I am always joking around and end up getting into the oddest situations. When you read below, you may or may not agree. One thing for sure is that 2010 has been filled with up?s and down?s, so far, I cannot complain about an uneventful life.
The Main Event:
A while back I met this girl named Cammy (Psuedonym) at a friend?s house. She already had a boyfriend, so I did nothing to try and scheme or anything. However, needless to say, there was a mutual attraction. Both body language and chemistry was very apparent. Within the first night of meeting with her, she hugged me multiple times, kissed me on the cheek at least 7 times, and she even sat on my lap during a session of Geometry Wars. She even vocalized that she would be dating me if she weren?t already in a relationship. This left me sort of confused. So conflicted that the next night, I couldn?t sleep for like 3 hours.
So what were my options? I had no clue. I knew that I wasn?t about to stand by and do absolutely nothing. I?ve done that in the past and always left a regret of ?what if?s? and ?I should have said something?. I decided, that since it was Christmas time, I?d go ahead and vocalize my experience with her and allow her to decide. Essentially, the ball was in her court.
Now the delivery. How was I supposed to vocalize the situation to her. I wanted to speak to her in person, but that was highly unlikely cause she would rarely ever come to my friend?s house. I could have visited her at work, since I am friends with her co-worker, but I felt as if that was inappropriate. Considering that she did have a boyfriend. After a few weeks of pondering the next step, I chose to send her a note. Should it be via text, email, or Facebook. I figured, neither. After that first night, we exchanged some small talk on Facebook. I?m sure there have been many successfully interactions online with people, but that seemed a bit corny.
I decided to not only send her a note, but to also add the personal touch of creativity. Designed and constructed a heart shaped box with a fabric lining and cover. I also attached a CD of Christmas songs that weren?t so ?Christmasy?.

1. Mariah Carey - All I Want For Christmas Is You
  2. The Chipmunks - Christmas Don’t Be Late
  3. Destiny’s Child - 8 Days Of Christmas
  4. John Lennon - So This Is Christmas
  5. Jackson 5 - Give Love On Christmas Day
  6. Beach Boys - Little Saint Nick
  7. Peanuts - Christmas Time Is Here
  8. Brenda Lee - Rock’n Around The Christmas Tree
  9. Wham - Last Christmas
  10. Band Aid - Don’t They Know It?s Christmas Time

When she?d open the box, she will see a letter rolled and tied with a red ribbon. Upon opening the letter, it contained a handmade rose made with a red ribbon. The letter essentially said my peace with no intention of receiving anything back. I wanted to go on after this event knowing I did what needed to be done. (I may or may not post pics of the heart-shaped box)

The Chandler Part:
Well, unbeknownst to me, irony was right around the corner. I figured that this gift was nothing more than overly hand crafted greeting card. Ready for the irony? On the Friday before Christmas, I sent the gift via FedEx. My friends and I hung out that Friday night. During a casual conversation, my friend?s girlfriend said, ?Oh BTW, Cammy is engaged now?. So there I was turning into all different shades and colors due to the high level of embarrassment. What was I to do except, man up to the plate. They were going to find out somehow. So with all my strength, I told my friends of the situation. My friend?s GF volunteered to intercept the package for me. However, I requested that she only remove my contact information from the packaging. I mean, I worked really hard on the gift, Cammy should at least see it. If she decides to throw it away, well, that?s her choice. However, I have yet to hear any sort of information to her reaction. Just little tid bits of random information would fly across my path. Unintentionally listening, I was at a gathering and they were discussing Cammy?s engagement. Apparently, there have been many vocalizing the disapprovement of the engagement because Cammy and her significant other are constantly fighting. Cammy also called my friend?s GF requesting to talk about ?the stuff we cannot talk about at work?. Don?t get me wrong, I?m not looking forward to anything, my part is done really. So there you have it. I went ballz out, only to be pwnd by much irony. I don?t consider this to be a defeat, but I cannot help but wonder what Cammy thought of the gift. For now, I guess its “To Be Continued…Maybe”.

Don’t think your situation is very ironic actually.

So dude smashed already. Move on to the next breezy.

Deadpool,

Really? You don’t think it was ironic that the one time I decided to do something, the chick gets engaged? Well, I guess you wouldn’t be the kind of guy that would get embarrassed if you were in that situation.

:chainsaw:

Pablo_the_Mex,

Yeah, that’s the plan. I just felt like sharing this instance. It’s a pretty cool story in my book. But yeah, I agree, I’m moving on. However, it still interesting to know that there is possibly something going on in the background. LOL.

Niko,

What’s with the chainsaw?

It’s not ironic, it’s coincidental. Since this thread doesn’t have much of a conversation point as well, I expect this to be trolled and closed around the end of the day.

Also if I was a female and was kinda half-ass flirting with a dude at a party just to get attention, I’d find it fucking creepy if said guy sent me a stupid CD wrapped in a gift box with a love gushing note attached to it. If a few hugs and lol kisses get you so worked up over a women I’d hate to see how much $ you blow on random bitches.

Are_you_okay?!,

Hrmm, you make a valid point. And to answer your question about the money spending, not at all. I was just trying to do something nice. But I respect your view point. Thanks for the blunt honesty.

Life’s a mean one, Mr. Grinch. Personally, Since you don’t sound like the kind to try and sneak in, I’d say just move on. You tried, you were just too late this time. Me? I probably would’ve gotten the box stopped if possible and make it as a wedding gift instead. After that, plan the strategy to get her sister.

-Starhammer-

Starhammer,

Yeah, you definitely right about that. I am not the type to sneak around. As far as moving on, definitely. I’m just going the phase of closure, I guess.

“Me? I probably would’ve gotten the box stopped if possible and make it as a wedding gift instead. After that, plan the strategy to get her sister.”

OMG, I LOL’d. :smiley:
Thanks.

Look up irony in the the dictionary.

Deadpool,

Well, took your advice and did just that. See below. I see your argument about how this is mere coincidence, but there is a level of irony within the situation. Whether you chose to acknowledge that, is up to you. Thanks anway.

Irony - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

Definition of IRONY
1: a pretense of ignorance and of willingness to learn from another assumed in order to make the other’s false conceptions conspicuous by adroit questioning ?called also Socratic irony
2a : the use of words to express something other than and especially the opposite of the literal meaning b : a usually humorous or sardonic literary style or form characterized by irony c : an ironic expression or utterance
3a (1) : incongruity between the actual result of a sequence of events and the normal or expected result (2) : an event or result marked by such incongruity b : incongruity between a situation developed in a drama and the accompanying words or actions that is understood by the audience but not by the characters in the play ?called also dramatic irony, tragic irony

don’t mean to derail the thread but George Carlin breaks irony down pretty well. Unfortunately I can’t find a youtube video of this so I can only link some text instead. But if you do find the audio version of it, it is hilarious:

Carlin on mangling the language

so i don’t think your situation is ironic. it would be more ironic if your anonymous love package that you put together ends up healing the rift in their relationship because she thinks he sent it.

Fishjie,

Thank you for the clarification. I guess the irony of my post is the lack thereof. Its all good. Thanks.

[media=youtube]I-okOWMzIOI[/media]

1. The fact that you and your friends are sitting around talking about which friends cast member you are is damning evidence. I can’t even calculate the amount of man points lost for that. So for the rest of the story I am imagining you as a little girl.

2. Just because she is engaged doesn’t mean you lost. It just means the hunt is more complicated, and probably more fun. Getting something is fun, taking it from someone else is even more fun.

3. You really sent that after meeting her once? I have no objection to falling crazy in love, but you knew a girl for at most a few hours. You can’t know someone well enough in that time. I am going to guess you don’t have a lot of girls flirt with you if you attached such significant meaning to what was probably just a silly night. I mean you counted the number of times she touched you, that isn’t magical, it’s creepy. You will understand this better as you get older. Oh and if there was alcohol involved then nothing said can be taken at face value.

All that being said, I’m glad you don’t give up. I’m rooting for you. What is the worst thing that could happen? You try and fail and she thinks you’re an idiot, but who cares if she thinks that, you aren’t talking to her again anyway. You don’t try and then you aren’t talking to her again anyway.

Oh and since this is SRK, how dare you offer pics of just the box and not the girl in question. Learn the rules. Pics! I don’t even care, but the rules are rules. Pics! Now!

when i was 18, I made out with a neighbour of mine. She was at the same party as me, and we were both drunk of our asses. I could (should?) have banged her that night. I knew she was engaged to a guy who served me coffee on the way to work.

theres no irony. ure story kinda reminded me of this, and im just rambling. i wonder whats up with her

The girl was hugging him, kissing him, and riding his lap - no doubt on top of a fist full of Bing, given the dude’s excitement.

If he didn’t smash then, he ain’t ever smashing.

The irony of this thread is that old dude thought a Christmas mixtape was a way in; particularly when all he had to do was go unfly while she was sitting on his lap, given the particulars enumerated above. :\

@O.P. - do not listen to So This Is Christmas, this year, if you are spiking your eggnog, and have access to a loaded firearm.

As I see it.

True story:

its ironic that alanis morissette uses no examples of irony in her song “Isnt it ironic”

True story:

you shouldve banged her night one because thats when they are most vulnerable. After night one, they have time to think about their options and the “right” thing to do. Also this gave time for the b/f and her to have had make up sex from the prior day’s fight which clearly you were supposed to have filled the void for.