Well since the release date for the 2012 patch was just confirmed recently, I thought it would be good to get a thread going for everyone to chip in with ideas and predictions regarding how things might work out in 2012; strategies, matchups etc, as a sort of countdown until release, if you like. It’s a big turning point in Hakans short lifespan so far.
I know we had threads about the changes, but it was really just confirming the changes; and reaction to the changes. So now that we’ve had a good while to digest all the changes, and going by the pretty lackluster threads that have been created last few weeks or so, maybe it would be good to have something concrete to have a discussion on. It would be good if we could get the guys from the Seasons Beatings tournament to give some input here as well, after just playing Hakan at tournament level.
Here’s a list of the changes, just to refresh everyones mind:
Hakan gets oiled from the start of the match. (Edit: Confirmed as being around 12 seconds)
• Neutral Jump Light Kick hitbox is bigger.
• Neutral Jump Light Punch is active 8 frames.
• Neutral Jump Medium Punch is active 4 frames.
• Jumping Light Punch is active 8 frames.
• Crouching Hard Punch now hits twice.
• Toward + Medium Punch has a smaller vulnerability area during the start of hit detection.
• Hakan now slides when you do Guard Position (Command Crouch) from a dash and you’re oiled, applies to both forward and back dashes.
• Oil Slide does more stun; if you input Oil Shower follow-up, the slide does 100 stun. If you do the Body Press follow-up, 150 stun total during the press. This means you won’t miss your combo chances if you stun an opponent with the slide.
• Oil Dive’s trajectory and reach revised, buffing Hard Kick and EX.
• Medium and Hard Oil Dive, when whiffing a crouching opponent, will go past your opponent to make punishing him harder.
• Light Kick Oil Dive has a faster startup, Medium Kick has the old LK startup, Hard Kick has the old MK startup.
• Dive won’t whiff against shorter characters if they’re standing.
• Hakan’s Super activates faster, throw priority has been increased and, like Oil Dive, Medium and Hard versions can pass over crouching opponents. LK and MK have a faster startup.
So there we have it.
Bear in mind, even with all these changes, Hakan will still take a lot of skill to use efficiently, just how we like it!
So, Hakan - 2012, Pros, Cons? What matchups are going to change? How will the new oil dives work? Lots to get through so…