2015 SRK Tech Talk Awards

Once again, it’s that time of the year where we vote for the best TT related stuff that’s come out during the year.

The categories are:
2015 New Arcade Stick(Non-Custom) of the Year
2015 Arcade Stick Revision of the Year
2015 Arcade Stick Mod of the Year
2015 Tech Talk Company of the Year
2015 Custom Arcade Stick of the Year
2015 Custom Arcade Stick Maker of the Year
2015 Arcade Stick Modder of the Year
2015 Tech Talk Member of the Year
2015 Tech Talk Accessory of the Year (PCBs, Parts, Bags, etc.)
2015 Tech Talk Rookie of the Year

New categories for 2015:
2015 Artwork of the Year - for any top panel or arcade cabinet art (or art series) that you think is the best one made this year.
2015 Fighting game controller of the year - for pads that you think are the best for fighting games released this year.

Anything released from January 1, 2015 to December 31, 2015 is eligible. Stuff released earlier is ineligible. Nomination period ends on January 1, 2016 after which we’ll have up until January 7, 2016 for additional voting. Only one nomination per category is allowed and each nomination also counts as a vote.

Winners gain the right to use the SRK Tech Talk Gold Badge (aka bragging rights). If anyone wants to donate stuff for prizes, we’re open to that as well.

Winners

[list]
[*] Jasen’s Customs, Panzer FS 2.0 - ||||||||||
[/list]

[list]
[] Hori Real Arcade Pro. 4 Premium VLX for PlayStation 4 - ||||||||||||||||
[
] Chun Li TE2 - ||
[/list]

[list]
[] @hibachifinal Suzo 500 in a HRAP DoDonPachi stick - |||||||
[
] @TheBlackHombre dedicated Smash Bros. arcade stick - |||
[] 7 band equalizer LED set up in the Soundwave stick. It’s a shill of my work, but I’m really proud of what Sam and I did. 2 x 2 7 band frequency analyzers on 16 LED rings, rotating like tape cassette cogs and reacting to the music from the beats pill. - |
[
] @Gummo RetroPi mod with portable LCD screen - |
[] @AshleyAshes Sega Twin Stick for Xbox 360 - |
[
] @Gummo guitar stick - ||
[/list]

[list]
[] Jasen’s Customs - ||
[
] Paradise Arcade Shop - ||||||||
[] Brook - ||||||
[
] Arcade Shock - ||
[/list]

[list]
[] @b15sdm Soundwave with Beats Pill and sound responsive LEDs - |||||||||
[
] @deserada 's “thing” - |
[] @DeeQue ErgonomicStick - ||
[
] @kraken667 Portable Arcade Machines - |
[] @JesseJames’ Project Diva Stick - |
[
] @jonyfraze mini bartop cabinet - |
[/list]

[list]
[] @souji5 - ||||||
[
] @jonyfraze - |||
[] @b15sdm - |
[
] @JaceBuilder - |
[] @FoeHammer - |||
[
] ArcadePC - |
[*] Giantsword
[/list]

[list]
[] @FrankCastleAZ - ||
[
] @Gummo - |||||||
[] @EJM - ||||
[
] @Vicko - |
[/list]

[list]
[] @deserada - |
[
] @hibachifinal - |
[] @Darksakul - |
[
] @PresidentCamacho - |
[] @Vicko - |||||||||
[
] @Moonchilde - |||
[/list]

2015 Tech Talk Accessory of the Year (PCBs, Parts, Bags, etc.)
[list]
[] SPLITFRAME FS Transporter Bag (Regular and XL versions) - |
[
] Brook Fightboard - |||||||
[] Brook super converters - ||
[
] Paradise Arcade OBS-MX - |||||||||
[*] Gimp SMD - |
[/list]

2015 Tech Talk Rookie of the Year - TBD
[list]
[] @dponwakeup - ||||||||
[
] @JRDIBBS - ||||||
[/list]

2015 Art of the Year
[list]
[] @EJM Engraved FH hitbox - ||
[
] @hibachifinal - ||
[/list]

2015 Artist of the Year
[list]
[*] @hibachifinal - ||||||||||
[/list]

2015 Fighting Game Controller/Pad of the Year
[list]
[*] HORI Fighting Commander 4 PRO - |||||||||
[/list]

I request not to be eligible for Tech Talk Member of the Year this year.

Which category does the Panzer 2.0 fall into? Custom or Non? If Non, would it be a new stick or revision? Also, does anyone agree that we should have a stick art category?

I would think it depends on whether Panzers are mass produced or made to order. Mass produced sticks like HORI and MadCatz stuff fall under Non-Custom, while cases like the Tek-Case or FoeHammer cases which are made to order count as Customs. That’s how I think it works though; the mods may have a different way of categorizing.

Seconded!

Custom, they are made to order

Jasen himself confirmed. Custom it is.

Is there no category for customs/mods that are not-specifically-sticks? Like Superguns, cabs, consolizations?

Was there even a new arcade stick (non-custom) released this year? I think they’re all revisions.

Even the Venom arcade stick release in Europe, it was a rebranded Mayflash.

All my nominations are TBD at this time.

2015 New Arcade Stick(Non-Custom) of the Year - ???
2015 Arcade Stick Revision of the Year - Hori Real Arcade Pro. 4 Premium VLX for PlayStation 4
2015 Arcade Stick Mod of the Year - TBD
2015 Tech Talk Company of the Year - TBD
2015 Custom Arcade Stick of the Year - TBD
2015 Custom Arcade Stick Maker of the Year - TBD
2015 Arcade Stick Modder of the Year - TBD
2015 Tech Talk Member of the Year - TBD
2015 Tech Talk Accessory of the Year (PCBs, Parts, Bags, etc.) - SPLITFRAME FS Transporter Bag (Regular and XL versions)
2015 Tech Talk Rookie of the Year - TBD

Mayflash V2 is a different case than the original. Did this come out in 15? I thought it was made in 14. I think it was even nominated.

Yeah that was last year. I really can’t think of a new commercial FightStick that made it’s debut this year.

Nor can I.

Yeah, it seems that there wasn’t any new stick design that came out this year. Thinking of merging the categories because of that.

I am going to ask for reconsideration of the PFS 2.0, it is a production stick that is customized to order but the base is a stock design. You could nominate a specific set up as a custom…
2015 New Arcade Stick(Non-Custom) of the Year - Jasen’s Customs, PFS 2.0
2015 Arcade Stick Revision of the Year -
Hori Real Arcade Pro. 4 Premium VLX for PlayStation 4
2015 Arcade Stick Mod of the Year - Going to Nominate the 7 band equalizer LED set up in the Soundwave stick. It’s a shill of my work, but I’m really proud of what Sam and I did. 2 x 2 7 band frequency analyzers on 16 LED rings, rotating like tape cassette cogs and reacting to the music from the beats pill.
2015 Tech Talk Company of the Year - TBD
2015 Custom Arcade Stick of the Year - B15SDM Soundwave
2015 Custom Arcade Stick Maker of the Year - @souji5 Souji arcade sticks
2015 Arcade Stick Modder of the Year - @Gummo Yeah I know, he may win this alot, but this year @Gummo reached beyond the usual comfort zone and created the GIMP to help with mods. He’s also an amazing resource and just all around great guy.
2015 Tech Talk Member of the Year - @Vicko because, somewhere below all that salt, is a heart that keeps giving, even though he sounds like he’s about to kill half the people posting, he continues to answer questions and help people with projects. In some cases he offers insight that allows people not to need his services.
2015 Tech Talk Accessory of the Year (PCBs, Parts, Bags, etc.) TBD
2015 Tech Talk Rookie of the Year - @JRDIBBS
2015 Art of the Year
2015 Artist of the Year @hibachifinal Why? Well because while many people do a great job at reformatting stock art, @hibachifinal actually creates new visual treats. His breadth and abilities deserve this award.
2015 Fighting Game Controller/Pad of the Year - TBD

I’m with that @armi0024. I think you could consider it retail because all of the customization is cosmetic with the exception of the actual internal parts (joystick and button type).

It’s like buying car, with options. IMHO that’s what makes it the winner of the award

Looking back on previous year’s awards, the Mod category is for modded sticks. This means it isn’t about a specific mod but the finished, modded, retail stick. Is that accurate?

2015 New Arcade Stick(Non-Custom) of the Year - Jasen’s Customs, PFS 2.0 @"Jasen Hicks"
2015 Arcade Stick Revision of the Year -
Hori Real Arcade Pro. 4 Premium VLX for PlayStation 4
2015 Arcade Stick Mod of the Year - Suzo DoDonPachi HRAP by @hibachifinal
2015 Tech Talk Company of the Year - Arcade Shock for bringing us Splitframe, the Kuro VLX, Third Strike Sanwa stuffs, Sanwa clothing, and for bringing gachapon to Evo.
2015 Custom Arcade Stick of the Year - B15SDM Soundwave Stick @jimmy_shoegazer @b15sdm
2015 Custom Arcade Stick Maker of the Year - Souji Sticks @souji5
2015 Arcade Stick Modder of the Year - @Gummo because he has continued to Gummo this year and I like that shit.
2015 Tech Talk Member of the Year - @Moonchilde - For running the fb group (now kinda only loosely attached to this site even though most if not all of us are from here) and trying to keep everyone honest and moral. I may be biased because he’s a good friend but he cares more about this hobby than most of us.
2015 Tech Talk Accessory of the Year (PCBs, Parts, Bags, etc.) - Brook PS3/4 PCB with PAS breakout board. This will be the first, simple, retail DIY PS4 PCB with no 8 minute timeout. Sharing is caring and this is a great collab.
2015 Tech Talk Rookie of the Year - @dponwakeup
2015 Arcade Stick Artist of the Year - @hibachifinal for his entire body of work this year.

Yes

@armi0024 Bryan, I moved your vote to custom of the year.

Also added an “Art of the Year” category. Now win me an award you bakas.

Panzer 2.0 - Cleeeeean!

Hori RAP4 Premium VLX PS4 - The World just needs more VLXs

@TheBlackHombre and @Gummo for finally closing off the first iteration of the “Yes We Can!” Smash stick project. I know it’s still ongoing, but it’s working and has been a really cool project to follow. Went off and did a lot of reading as a result of this project. Looking forward to the LS-64 Edition in 2016!

Jasen’s Customs Loads of community interaction this year, some cool experiments/collabs and, of course, the rollout of the PFS2.

Gotta say, I’ve missed @Epi 's weird stick building this year. That said, there’s been some great stuff going on. My vote goes to @JesseJames for completing an awesome Project Diva controller. Just got everything right, executed it all really well and did a really tidy job at putting it all together. Perf boards everywhere.

TBD

TBD

@deserada - last year’s ROTY was challenged to stick around and contribute and he’s certainly delivered. The 19" rackmount stick was great, complete with a detailed build log.

2015 Tech Talk Accessory of the Year
Brook Fightboard

2015 Tech Talk Rookie of the Year
@JRDIBBS - he’s been around for a wee while now, so may have outgrown “rookie”, but has stepped it up a notch and really reached notoriety in 2015, making everything from sticks, to mods, to apps

Tallied up to this point.

Considering that @JRDIBBS only joined at about this time last year. I’ll give him a pass.