360's Kinect - Now with Nyko Zoom!

http://microsoftfeed.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/Stormtrooper-white-Kinect-sensor1-600x214.jpg

The Kinect Thread: Where people who blew a large chunk a change on a device to flail their entire bodies about can get together to discuss Kinect games, apps, hacks, and how to rearrange their home to play the world’s most involved motion controller.

So anyway I’ve wanted a Kinect only thread for awhile since Kinect news might get lost in the usual 360 shuffle. There’s been quite a few ‘apps’ and smaller arcade games on the Kinect that have piqued my interest so I feel like the Kinect is finally moving somewhere. Oh and the dashboard’s fall update has even more Kinect integration. I think we can finally select and do everything (minus System Settings) using our Kinects. About damn time.

SRK’s Top Kinect Games (will add more later)

1. Dance Central/Dance Central 2
  2. Child of Eden

This week marks the arrival of the latest ‘high profile’ Kinect title, The Gunstringer. I preordered it along with a Nyko Zoom (widens and shortens the distance needed to play Kinect games for one or two people). Hopefully both turn out to be great, especially the Zoom. I’ll have a review for both asap.

Nyko Zoom
[media=youtube]5i_UQ04Iylk[/media]

IGN.com’s Review of The Nyko Zoom 10/10 ?!

The Gunstringer
[media=youtube]KtO2YjgCtOs[/media]

Kinect Titles that I’m looking forward to.

• Steel Battalion Heavy Armor
  • Forza 4 (for the Auto Vista and Head Tracking)
  • Dance Central 2
  • Leedmees
  • That Sesame Street game from Double Fine
  • The Gunstringer
  • Fruit Ninja Kinect
  • Rise of Nightmares (I heard some good things about this one)

Yes please do post a review about the Nyko Zoom. I’m interested in getting one for my apartment but am usually hesitant about buying 3rd party add ons.

Also The Hole In The Wall is actually pretty fun (no homo)

-DJ-

I also want a review of the Zoom

Kinect has so much potential but the games are sooooooo bad right now :frowning:

I got Child of Eden last week for $9.99 at Best Buy…

It isn’t. It was a BB goof, was supposed to be 19.99.

Great game.

Zoom add on is interesting, I have a large enough living room to not need one, but that’s a great option for those in smaller spaces.

My arm gets tired as wet shit playing Child of Eden. I’m My wrist feels all tight too from making that pushing motion. We need to make a Kinect warm-up plan.

hows the zombie game? Rise of Niiightmaarees!

So it’s time for my Zoom review. If you want other opinions hit up Amazon.com’s page for the Nyko Zoom. Scores are all over the place (few are in the middle though).

My Review

Spoiler

This thing sucks. Adds a big black splotchy area on the camera and it has trouble following my hands. I fucking bombed at Fruit Ninja so I won’t even dare try anything else. However, other people are LOVING this thing so YMMV.

I’m going to return it for a refund. I’m just going to have to deal with it.

Fruit Ninja Kinect

• It’s fun but I’ll go to swing my arms sometimes and it won’t register the swing. Like swinging across the body confuses the shit out of it I think. So I feel less surgical in my slashing than when I play on my phone. I worked up a sweat too after two arcade sessions.

The Gunstringer

• I’ve only played two stages and my arms fell victim to arm fatigue but it’s a fun game. It’ll take a bit more time for me to get acclimated to moving in and out of cover but the shooting mechanic works fine. Lock on to enemies by waving your hand over them and snap your wrist and arm back a bit like it’s the recoil of a six shooter and you’ll fire off your shots. I’m enjoying it more than Child of Eden that’s for sure.

Something really cool that happens that I don’t want to spoil for you but…

Spoiler

Near the end of stage two you get a second pistol and it goes into dual wielding mode and it’s just silly fun trying to keep track of both your hands and all the targets while you bang bang bang with your six shooters. Good times.

ign said it was fucking horrible

I am seriously thinking that Kinect is fucked if they don’t release a proper peripheral for it. They need something for your hands so:

a) it can register where your hands are when they cross your body in front or behind
b) so you can have some triggers/joysticks, so you can move in the 3D world (rather than play a fucking rail shooter) and have triggers to shoot guns easier.

They need one of those virtual women games, where you caress, slap, punch, etc… on your virtual GF…

It’s not ‘fucked’ but i do agree about a pair of controller wands. It’s not like Microsoft can’t break the 360 pad down the middle and sell them as pair. But what we need are more games like Steel Battalion that uses the controller and kinect while sitting.

A Star Wars game would be kinda cool with Kinect…I want to force choke someone!

Too bad that the current Star Wars Kinect game in development looks like complete trash.

That’s why I think they pushed it back. Kinect games are like the Field of Dreams. If they build it right we will come.

^Well good luck.

project DRACO

Is just straight up Panzer Dragoon Kinect. And I bet NO ONE is complaining.

Preview: http://www.joystiq.com/2011/09/16/project-draco-preview-fly-a-fantasy/

Why the Controller Isn’t Supported: http://www.1up.com/news/tgs-project-draco-doesnt-support-controller