[9/19/09] SF4 Night Tourney @ PC Arena- Fullerton, CA

[ATTN: Date has changed!!]

Hey Everyone! It’s time for another tournament!

We’re going to try something a little different this time; we’ve decided to have a late start time to avoid some of the heat problems and hopefully allow more people to attend/arrive for sign-ups on time. We will be running the matches primarily using the PC version of SF4, so everyone is encouraged to bring their sticks/pads (it doesn’t matter what system they’re for; they’ll all work) or at least make sure that you have access to one that you can use during the tournament. Like last time, I’ll do my best to accommodate those who have stick logistic issues, but it would be greatly appreciated if everyone could have stick arrangements worked out ahead of time so that matches don’t get held up; I’d prefer not to DQ anyone if I don’t have to. :wink:

Since we’re going to be running the PC version (and we have a lot of PCs), we’ll be running probably around 10 matches at once. I anticipate that with all of the stations the tournament should run its course within approximately 2 hours (though it really depends on the turnout). We’ll still be running matches on the big screen TVs with sticks to allow extra stations and for those of you who do not have your own stick or cannot make arrangements.

So, with that explanation out of the way, here are the quick facts:

-Saturday, September 19th at 9:00 pm Yes, PM = NIGHT TIME.

-Sign ups will begin at 7:00 pm and close at 8:50 pm, at which point I will generate the bracket. Those of you who attended our last tournament will be seeded according to how you placed. New entrants will be seeded at mid-range skill level.

-We will not be capping entrants, so anyone who makes it in before sign-ups close will be allowed to enter.

-Entry Fee will be $10, with a $4 venue fee, for a total of $14 to join.

-1st place will take 70% of the pot, with 20% and 10% for 2nd and 3rd place respectively.

-As always, if you don’t shower/deodorize/wear clean clothes, I may have to kill you (or get a large Samoan man to do it for me). And dispose of the body far away where we can’t smell you, of course.

Tournament rules and guidelines:

-Double Elimination brackets

-Matches will be determined by best 2 out of 3 rounds. Sets determined by best 2 out of 3 matches. Grand finals set will be 3 of 5 matches.

-Console characters allowed

-Winner must stick with their character. Only the match loser may switch characters.

-Pausing or otherwise interrupting the match will result in a round forfeit.

-You must be ready for your match when I call you. If you do not appear within 3 minutes of your match announcement (even if you need a stick, please check in with me) you will be disqualified. If you have any special stick requirements, please let me know ahead of time. I will do my best to work around your needs.

Venue:

PC Arena
104 N Raymond Ave, #A-1
Fullerton, CA 92831

We’re located at the intersection of Raymond and Commonwealth, adjacent to an Albertson’s and Speedy Cash. Parking is abundant and free of charge.

If you have any questions, please feel free to either post them up in the thread or PM me!

Thanks and hope to see you all there!

Simone & Will

A 9pm tournament? If a decent amount of people enter this, it’ll last until at least 4-5am! While I’m normally up for a ranbat or tournament, I just don’t think I could stick around that late. =(

I’ll definitely watch the first round or so though! =)

sounds good

Late night gaming is where it’s at.

in!!

iono… if its late night i think it should be single elim =/, but coolios!

Is there any likelihood that an HDR tourney might take place in the future at this venue?

Dekar: woah woah woah… who said anything about this tournament taking a long time?
With all the setups we’ll have available this should only take an hour or two. Everyone should be able to play their first match at the same time. :wgrin:

Vintage: We have no plans for any HDR tournaments quite simply because there isn’t any interest for it here.
I’ve tried to slip in some other fighter games during peak hours but the only thing people seem interested in is SF4… and maybe a touch of MvsC2.

Oddly enough my console setups are slowly turning into computer setups…

Just curious, how many people came to the last one? (mostly to get an idea of the pot. haha…)

What if lack of deodorant is someone’s tourney tactic? Smell games > Mind games?

(In all seriousness, sounds fun and this is a cool location.)

we got ~30 people or so last time.

Boots/Simone is pretty strict on the deodorant issue… which wasn’t a problem last tourney.
That won’t stop people from farting though. Last time somebody let one rip, and since it was really hot, the heat COOKED the fart as it slowly moved through the shop…

… reminds me when I’d fart while standing in front of the heater when I was a kid… bad news.

Yeah, seriously… Someone ordered half the McDonald’s value menu and cut one in the the middle of a big crowd. There’s nothing worse than a McDonald’s fart. Unless it’s an Alberto’s fart.

…no, I think McDonald’s is still worse.

Anyway, we had a 32 man tourney last time with about 5 days notice. I’m thinking with a longer lead time we should get a larger turn out. Honestly, unless we get 1000 people or something ridiculous like that we should really get this squared away inside 3 hours max. Typically our crowds can stick around until 3:30 or 4 am, so I don’t think being done at midnight is too much of a deterrent. Plus, everything went really smoothly last tourney (I really don’t like to waste time) so I don’t anticipate any long delays.

I will be there to defend my title.

And by that I mean I will lose to Dustin 1st round.

There is no sleeping after WC Warzone!
Practice up kids!!

This tournament sounds like fun =].

Ah shit, can’t wait to get beasted. Me and my dirty stock 360 pad are gonna be there (hopefully with a couple friends!) for sure. Hyyyyype.

Oh… you gonna show up on time this time around? :lovin:

Hi everyone,

I changed the date of the tourney due to some scheduling conflicts. The tournament will now take place on the 19th!

lol we’ll see…

I’m still iffy about the 9 p.m. time even though I prefer it. Haha.