A few easy questions from a nub shopping for his first stick,

Any comments / advice / tips would be greatly appreciated!

1. Are arcade sticks region free?

-I hear a great many things about Asian manufacturers, but some of the sticks I’ve been recommended can’t be found from your typical online US retailers. So I was turned onto play-asia. There, I noticed that the sticks were listed as “Japan” or “Asia”. I know region is important for digital media due to change in formats and standards, but does this also apply for controllers / arcade sticks / accessories?

1. What stick would you recommend to someone like myself (360)?

-So far the big name I’ve heard thrown around is Hori. I will say that I am not looking for a top of the line stick. More middle of the road, solid stick that isn’t the greatest but you can’t really go wrong with. Currently, the stick that holds my eye is the Dream Stick since it is what it is: A frankensteined 360 controller connected to arcade parts in wooden housing. I dig how it looks and how easy it is to upgrade.

1. Are the Qanba sticks reliable and well made?

-Just today I read something about the Qanba Q4, and how it’s 360 and PS3 compatible straight out of the box. Considering I own both a 360 and PS3, and my friends vary in terms of preferred console, this would be an awesome addition to a solid stick. This is more of an addendum to my second question, but I’d be grateful for any feedback on their previous sticks as the reviews aren’t easy to come by.

And that’s what I’m wondering. If you made it to this point, thanks for reading and I look forward to reading your responses.

1. yes, they are region free
  2. i would suggest the Mad catz TE or a Hori Real Arcade Pro VX SA
  3. i’ve heard good and bad things about them. I think more bad than good, especially regarding the PCB it has.

1. Yes, just like controllers, they work in all regions

2. You may want to look at the Madcatz WWE brawl stick. It is a very high quality stick that is just short of authentic Sanwa or Seimitsu parts, cutting the price a bit, but the buttons and joystick are well made, and a step up from the typical SFIV SE. Other options are madcatz TE or Hori VX-SA, but those are the high-quality expensive ones.

3. http://shoryuken.com/f177/official-qanba-fightstick-thread-new-q3-wired-fightstick-lots-photos-219959/ There is a new one coming out by Qanba that uses Sanwa parts, the same found in Japanese arcades, the same found in Madcatz TE fightsticks, the same found in many high-quality Hori sticks. But more often than not, you can dual mod for 360.

WHAT.**

The stick isn’t released yet.
We don’t even know what PCB it uses yet.

It uses a slide switch to swap between PS3 & 360 modes, so it is NOT an AkiShop PS360 (which is the PCB with some issues lately).

This thread from the newbie guide should answer most, if not all of your questions.

http://shoryuken.com/f322/srk-newbie-saikyo-dojo-arcade-stick-faq-read-before-asking-questions-231888/

Simple answer. Get a Madcatz WWE brawl stick.

Thank you all for the quick responses. I must have skimmed over the answers to my questions in the stick FAQ.

I had heard have the Madcatz TE, but I couldn’t find any online retailers carrying it. The Hori VX-SA is tempting though. Looks like it might be a nice all around starter stick.

I also just read through most of the Qanba thread (the Q4 half anyway) and I have mixed feelings about it. I loved the idea of the Q3 having a wood base and being more weighty than other arcade sticks, but the Q4 is plastic. Although, due to the upgraded PCB, I’m tempted to believe it was done as a cost cutting method… Maybe? I haven’t ruled it out quite yet due to the fact that the PCB is the only unknown. I mean from what I understand the joystick / buttons are quality.

Thanks again. This is all confusing for a new comer due to the fact that the mass market sticks are typically bought simply to mod. I can probably replace buttons and sticks, but I don’t quite understand what’s going on under the hood just yet…

Slagcoin.com can de mystify a little bit of that.

That is a very helpful site. Thank you!

I’m learning, slowly but surely.