A few tips for Third Strike beginners/intermediate

Yeah, I’m new here at the Shoryuken forums, but I’ve played third strike for quite awhile, and I hope to contribute to the community and get more people to play third strike/understand it. I will try to write this as simple as possible so people can understand and get into third strike, so enjoy reading and have a great time with your gaming!

P.S: Sorry if there is another guide like this; but if this guide helped even one person, then it was worth the time to write it.

Guide:
LP - Jab - Light Punch
MP - Strong - Medium Punch
HP - Fierce - Hard Punch
LK - Short - Light Kick
MK - Forward - Medium Kick
HK - Roundhouse - Hard Kick
AP - Any Punch
AK - Any Kick

SA - Super Art
Kara - (Kara Canceling) Canceling the first few frames of an attack for added range on a throw/special/super art/other.

CR - Crouching
CL - Close
FR - Far

QCF - Quarter Circle Forward
QCB - Quarter Circle Back
HCF - Half Circle Forward
HCB - Half Circle Back

Basics:

Hit confirming: Now, what comes to mind when most people think about hit confirming? They assume that a crouching forward will hit confirm into a super art, now, hold on, this is true, however, hit confirming is where you use the normal attack not only to link into the super, but to have adequate time to see if the super will connect, or not, here are some examples.

We’ll use Ken using SA3

[ CR.MK -> 2X QCF -> (MK Connects) -> AK ]
[ CR.MK -> 2X QCF -> (MK Doesn’t Connect) -> Follow Up ]

You can buffer the super motion inside of the animation of the attack you used; be it LK, MK, or MP HP, you can buffer anything inside of anything.

If you buffer the two quarter circles during the animation of the CR.MK, don’t automatically press the kick button to release the super right away, only if the attack connects, should you press the kick button, this is hit confirming, now, if you’re having trouble with this, keep practicing, because trust me, even amazing players have trouble hit confirming ALL of the time.

Throwing: Throwing is a big part of third strike, it requires speed, mind games, and footsie to pull off a throw, however, if done correctly, you earn yourself a very important part of mix up, mind games, and damage.

Throws cannot be blocked, however, you can tech a throw. Teching a throw is where both players use throw (LP+LK) at the same time, both players are knocked back slightly, and receive no damage. Teching is also unfathomably important, practice anticipating throws and teching them.

Common ways to set up a throw:
Blockstrings; we’ll get into this in the next section;

CR. (LK LP LK) -> Dash -> Throw
The infamous “Tick Throw” - CR. LK - Walk slightly - Throw
Tick throwing is almost guaraunteed free damage, however, if you throw too much, this like all things can be predicted and punished.

Blockstrings: A block string is where you use a series of normals to keep your opponent in block stun, and then use another normal, or special, to beat their next attack, an example would be:

CR. (LK LP LK) - CR. MK

The CR.MK would beat their next move since they are still in block stun from the LK.

Block strings can be used effectively to set up throws, hit confirms, footsies, and mind games.

Intermediate:

Footsies: Footsies are mid-range battles of mind games, technique, speed, prediction and reaction. I can’t stress the use of normals enough, specials are very punishable, normals are only punishable when parried, which is not very often, unless you become predictable, so work on your mixup.

An example of footsies would be:

Ken vs Ryu

You are playing as Ken, and your opponent is Ryu. Everytime you knockdown your opponent, you get close for mix up on wakeup, but everytime you do, he does a shoryuken and beats your attack; playing footsies here would be to dash in 2-3 times, and as he is getting up, either block, or dash backwards (work on the timing); this will bait him into using his shoryuken to counter your attack; and then once he whiffs, you can easily punish him with a super, or a large combo of choice.

Another example of footsies would be:

Both players are mid-screen, you notice the opponent is weaving back and forth alot to get you to make the first move, walk in slightly, and sweep him at maximum range to floor him (sweeping is horrible as close range, but very effective at max range, hard to punish, and unpredictable)

Mind games: A mind game is almost the epitome of a battle, it all comes down to it, no matter how good you are at execution, if your opponent is smarter, he will win.

An example of a mind game would be:
(Using Gouki/Akuma)

You do a tick throw (as mentioned above) maybe once, maybe twice. as your opponent is getting up for the third time, this time, go for a tick, and then do a F-MP (Gouki is ungrabbable when he does this overhead) to play with your opponent’s head and earn yourself some free damage in the process.

Parrying: This is a really controversial subject, as everyone wants to be great at parrying, just keep in mind, if your opponent is rather unpredictable, it is 150 million times better to block, rather than to parry, the only time you should parry is perhaps stray hadoukens, a random super, or jump-ins.

If your opponent starts to get predictable, you can parry him, if he is not predictable (and sometimes, they will be predictable on purpose for mindgames) then continue to block, and not parry.

Anyhow, this took me a decent while to write, let me know if I left anything out, and have a good one.

Sayonara!

GGPO: Onisura

I just wanted to contribute a bit to the community that has contributed a lot to me, thanks to everyone at Shoryuken

theres a 3s section…

Woops! Slipped my mind, I thought this would file under fighting game discussion.

If a moderator could move this post for me it would be greatly appreciated.