A question about a combo finisher

cody

When am I supposed to know when to use ruffian kick or criminal upper as a combo ender like which one should I use at the end of a bnb and why?

Most of the time you’re going to want to end your combos with hp CU. There are times when using a RK would be a better choice such as spacing, corner combos, or if you pick u1 and have bar to combo into it.

does hp CU offer more damage and stun or something the main thing that concerns me is the damage scaling for like a long combo and then a CU it would do less than say a mk rk, right?

CU does do more damage than RK in a combo, even if you do a ridiculously long combo for no reason.

I feel that CU is for making your opponent farther away since it knocks the opponent away about half screen, and RK is for making your opponent close to you if you want to mix them up. I mostly do cr. lp, cr. lp, cr. mp xxx hp CU out of habit, but I have been practicing to do RK for certain match-ups.

Off the top of my head, Rufus, Abel, Adon, Akuma, Ken, Ryu, Akuma, Fei, C. Viper, Cammy, Dudley, Zangief, T. Hawk, Bison, and Balrog should always get combo’ed into a CU, because they have a tough time to get in on Cody or they need to get up close to beat Cody (Rufus, Abel, etc.).

Dhalsim, Guile, Chun, Gouken, Honda, and Rose you should use RK, because Cody needs to get close to beat them. I recommend lk rk because you cannot quick stand it and it gets you closer to your opponent. At that point, you can do butt-cheek mixups and get to raping. However, lk rk is a tad bit slower and I think its harder to combo into. mk rk is extremely easy to combo into, but its easy to quick stand and it knocks the opponent about the same distance as CU.

All other characters, I would suggest hp CU because it does more damage (which is important in the seth match up imo), but honestly, its your choice.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that the Dhalsim/Guile/Chun/Gouken/Honda/Rose match-up is best played at the corner, so if you want to get them to the corner, use mk rk or hp CU. Otherwise, use cr. mp xxx lk rk.

scaling doesn’t happen for multiply “hits” but usual for multiply button presses.
e.g => f.hp (cody’s over head) count’s as 1 hit in terms of combo scaling. so does hp cu. chun li’s j.hp (x2) air combo requires an additional input and count as 2 hits.
gen’s gekiro can be done with up to 8 hits, each of requires another input and therefore the last hit is reduced by up to 70%!

and btw, the less you use c.lp / c.lk in your combos the more damage you’ll net in a combo. c.lp, c.lp, c.lp, c.lk xx hp cu will deal less damage then c.lp, c.lk xx hp cu for instance.

?100% damage for first and second hits of a combo.
?80% damage for third hit.
?70% damage for fourth hit.
?60% damage for fifth hit.
?50% damage for sixth hit.
?40% damage for seventh hit.
?30% damage for eighth hit.
?20% damage for ninth hit.

the same applies for stun btw.

so tl:dr
both scale the same but hp cu does 160 damage and 220 stun while mk ruffian does 130 damage and 100 stun.

i like criminal upper for damage and mk. ruffian for positioning. definitely depends on how many hits you got in your combo and the situation. just be “damage scaling smart”

read my post above . it doesnt matter hp cu will ALWAYS do more damage and stun no matter when in the combo.
mk ruffian is for positioning ONLY.