A truly bizarre question (N64 Controller)

Here’s a truly weird question…is there any way to use a Nintendo 64 pad on a PS2?

There’s a certain kind of N64 pad (minus the autofire / slo-mo) that I’ve been using for years (6+ years exclusively, actually) on a Adaptoid.

Of course, a N64 to PS2 adapter doesn’t exist, and as far as I know, there isn’t a USB to PS2 adapter. Might there be a way of fitting a PS2 PCB into such a controller, or some other means of getting a hold of something with a similar shape to that controller?

Thanks in advance to any help! :tup:

Off of my head, I can imagine that it might be possible to highjack the pcb of the n64 with a ps1 series controller. I imagine soldering wires from the ps1 controller to the traces that lead to the buttons on the pcb of the N64 controller. I have two N64 controllers but dont think I will try this on my own. I might open it and look.

If you use the way I said it, you might be able to fit the pcb of the Series A solderless type into the shaft of where you would insert a memory card. Talking about it makes me feel there is a way.

Also the pcb from the SF anniversary stick seems small enought to hide almost in the controller. You would mostlikely have some of it hanging out. I am sure given the size of the N64 controller, getting a good grip wont be a problem.

Hmm, I hope there’s a way. I have 5 or 6 of these N64 controllers laying around and I’d really, really like to have the guts of them replaced with some form of PS pcb if at all possible. Unfortunately I don’t know thing one about wiring and such. :shake:

It’d be an absolute godsend to have one or two of these done in time for FRXI.

You might want to talk to fallback he did a similar mod where he used a street fighter pad and hacked it for the 360 check this thread out.

I actually have a pad that I had taken apart to clean while back but didn’t get around to putting it back together. Perhaps some detailed pics of it’s innards would help put things into perspective.

Front
Back
PCB / Front
PCB / Back
Housing / Inside-Front
Housing / Inside-Back

A lot of space could be saved with the removal of the analog stick and the rumblepak / memory card slot. What do you guys think? :wonder:

The problem here is the Joystick, its analog, hacking that, would be the tough part, unless those wires coming of out of it, are the directions, , I can’t see normal directions coming from it, I’d imagine you could hijack, and use a UPCB as the interface. Otherwise it looks like a PSX pcb ironically.

Toodles get in here! :wink:

Also: This comes out in USB? If this uses standard protocle, you may be able to get an custom made adapter for it for ps1/ps2 play.

Three of my four N64 controllers are the Super Pad 64. I can’t stand the regular N64 controller. Well I can but I like the Super Pad better.

Oh, the analog stick and the memory card I could completely do without: I never used them. It’s the shape / layout of the controller that I’m primarily interested in.

The problem with the Interact / Performance pads (and something I’m sure Blackbond has experienced) is they don’t tend to last that long. Typically they last about 6 months or so before you start losing directions and you get weird activities with the buttons (I can’t count how many times I’ve gotten :snka:'s or :snka:+:snkb:'s when I push the :snkb: button). But up until that starts happening, they perform great.

They’re also exceedingly rare, with any that appear online quickly getting snatched up. :wow:

Big, talk to me on MSN or PM me about this, I could quite possibly do this for you.