ABC #6 - Weapons (Voting in Progress!)

Ok! here are the entries for the 6th avatar battle challenge!

Again, I want to thank everyone who entered, as well as my generous sponsors, Evil Morrigan and OrangeCat. As you mayknow, the three of us are providing the prizes for this competition.

First off, the standard rules:

PRIZES:
1st place animation: 1 month of premium membership to shoryuken.com
2nd place animation: 1 month of premium membership to shoryuken.com
3rd place animation: 1 month of premium membership to shoryuken.com

1st place still: 1 month of premium membership to shoryuken.com
2nd place still: 1 month of premium membership to shoryuken.com
3rd place still: 1 month of premium membership to shoryuken.com

#1: No one discusses the avs until ALL FIVE judges have passed judgement. This is to prevent people from giving away who the artists are. This is not limited to the artists. Even if you did not submit an av, please refrain from commenting until after the judges have voted. The judges do not know who has submitted an av, and I don’t want you giving away to them that you DIDN’T submit an av by starting to comment on them.

#2: Judges: you are to pick your favorite 3 in each category based on whatever criteria you want. You will then order them from 1 to 3. Your #1 pick gets 3 points, your #2 pick gets 2 points, and your #3 pick gets 1 point. The points will be tallied, and a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place for each category declared.

**#3:**Judges can feel free to discuss among themselves any aspects of the avatars they like. They may confer with each other before voting, but do not have to. Feel free to discuss what you like or dislike about any of the avatars --1 Restriction, though! Judges may not speculate as to who the artists are, as your speculations may affect the other judges.

The judges are:
Hail And Kill
monkeyspank
Nightraid
Rei
Spooty Whiteboy

#4: After the judges vote, the points will be tallied and I will reveal the artists behind the avatars. Discussion is then open for anyone and anything about the avatars.

That being said, here are the avatars (in order by title…as in all the previous competitions, if the artist did not provide a title, I made one up)

Entries marked with

got a free point for being somehow related to Soul Calibur. Explanations below.

STILLS

“Burn”

“Cassandra”

“Glowing Taki”

“Hollowpoint Ink”

“Kenshin is Scarface”

“Kiss My Gun”

“Kojiroh”

“Mitsurushdown”

“Raphael”

“Samba de Maracas”

“Siegfried”

“Soul Calibur Street Corner Salsa”

“Taki Coloring Book”

“The Soul Still Burns”

“Weapons of Choice”

“Xianghua”

“Yoshimitsu”

ANIMATIONS

“Another Unoriginal AV”

“Capcomstrike”

“Nightmare”

“Soul Edge”

“Weapons of Future Past”

“Yoshimitsu”

CREDITS:

Executive Producer: OrangeCat

An Evil Morrigan production:

Directed by givequicheachance

Get voting, judges!

…seriously.

What do the starred entries have to do with Soul Calibur?

Because some of the references are hard to spot, here are the ones I caught:

STILL
"Burn" - Mitsurugi.
“Cassandra” - Cassandra
"Glowing Taki" - Taki
"Misturushdown" - Mitsurugi.
“Raphael” - the artist assures me that is Raphael, not Ken.
“Siegfried” - Siegfried
"Soul Calibur Street Corner Salsa" - Voldo
"Taki Coloring Book" - Taki
"The Soul Still Burns" - Mitsurugi
"Weapons of Choice" - clippings of Ivy’s ass and Taki’s chest.
“Xianghua” - Xianghua
"Yoshimitsu" - though I know that’s Tekken 4 Yoshi, since Yoshi is an SC character too, I’ll allow it.

ANIMATED
"Another Unoriginal AV" - Mitsurugi
"Nightmare" - Nightmare
"Soul Edge" - Soul Edge
"Yoshimitsu" - though I know that’s Tekken 5 Yoshi, since Yoshi is an SC character too, I’ll allow it.

If you are an artist whose av has a soul calibur reference that I didn’t spot, pm me and I’ll add it to the list, and give it the bonus point.

…seriously.

Wow Soul Edge looks great, but damn days of Weapons of Future Past has style just dripping from it, I love it!

Some of the stills look great too.

DAMN I AM NOT A JUDGE~

claps

all soul calibur? wow… nothing original? hats off to “Capcomstrike” and the rest that did NOT do SC avatars… samurai showdown anybody, wtf?

good stuff

btw… whoever did the future past thing… TIGHT!!! just why sentinel’s s.mp from x cota?

no judges yet? btw some nice ass stills

im just point out the ones i like…
STILLS
"Glowing Taki"

See Adam Epstein

uh, sick.

“Kenshin is Scarface”

See Adam Epstein

lol, makes perfect sense.

“Kiss My Gun”

See Adam Epstein

sexy.

See Adam Epstein

very nice and diffrent.

“Weapons of Choice”

Adam Epstein uploaded this image to

drool at those lips

“Xianghua”

See Adam Epstein

ANIMATIONS

“Capcomstrike”

See Adam Epstein

“Nightmare”

See Adam Epstein

lovely sprite

“Soul Edge”

See Adam Epstein

too broken.

“Weapons of Future Past”

See Adam Epstein

i have a feeling who did that one…

LMBAO!

I personally like:

See Adam Epstein

Love the look / brushes used here, though the right side is a bit empty. Kojiroh ftw~

See Adam Epstein

This was a great idea, but you can’t really tell its him at all. If it wasn’t for the title above the avatar I wouldn’t have known.

See Adam Epstein

I am sucker for blood in avs / tags, but the border in this one kind of ruins it (too much red, the blood on its own would have suficed).

See Adam Epstein

Awesome, just awesome, haha.

See Adam Epstein

Man I know exactly who did this. <3

See Adam Epstein

Totally love this avatar.

Oh and m1x4h, the MP was used because of the rocket, hence the ‘weapons’ theme I guess.

I told you guys the animated talent was sick this time around…

…seriously.

EDIT: I PM’ed the judges over an hour ago…still none of 'em here, eh?

I’m working late tonight, so if the judges don’t show up by early afternoon, I’ll reveal the artists either late tonight or early tomorrow morning.

sorry i didnt enter 2 avs like i said, turns out my internet wasent back up =(, it went down again that night… well anyway the cable company comes today so hopefully itl be fixed.

Wanna share with us the av that didn’t get submitted?

…seriously.

STILLS

“Samba de Maracas”

See Adam Epstein

#1: What can I say? Composition is solid, and the ultra small text is well done enough to be readable. It stuck out for me because it is clever due to the liberal interpretation of the weapons category to include maracas.

“Kenshin is Scarface”

See Adam Epstein

#2: I’m a sucker for elegance. The only problem I had with it was that the original scarface graphic has pacino in all white clothes. Something about the sandles and the black gi makes be think of Paula Abdul’s Straight Up video.

“Mitsurushdown”

See Adam Epstein

#3: Nice border, and the color scheme comes together well. The only thing that I would change is sword. If there was a little blood dripping off the sword, it would unite the piece as one piece rather than foreground/background with no interaction.

“Burn”

See Adam Epstein

Well done, but I’m not a fan of airbrush, liquify, blur, smudge, or soft focus blending tricks. If it was a little darker, and everything was de-saturated a hair except for the flames at the bottom I would have liked it better.

“Cassandra”

See Adam Epstein

Good job, a few issues. The solid black lines give it a cell-shaded look and the font isn’t going along for the ride. It would be better with a graphitti font or something that lends itself to the same cell-like stroke that the main graphic has.

“Glowing Taki”

See Adam Epstein

First of all, blending objects with outer glow makes me vomit. That aside, the color scheme is spot on, and it has few design problems aside from the fact that it looks a little tutorial shopped to death.

“Hollowpoint Ink”

I live in L.A. I think I saw this avatar on the back of the stop sign near my house.

“Kojiroh”

See Adam Epstein

The foreground and the background are blended together so much that I had a hard time finding the character in the av.

“Kiss My Gun”

See Adam Epstein

I’m a big fan of destroyed courier. (For the cheap seats: courier is the font used by typewriters, and destroyed courier is commonly used in typeset art pieces to emulate a broken typewriter.) The colors need to be redone so that it looks a little cleaner, and I would have placed this one in the top three if the text said, “Kiss Kiss Bang Bang.”

“Raphael”

See Adam Epstein

I’m not a fan of the noise. Maybe if it wasn’t so neon, and had a some color harmony rather than random ume.

“Siegfried”

See Adam Epstein

Clean, well done, but a little sterile. There is no deep idea behind the av aside from, “hey, that’s really pretty.”

See Adam Epstein

Nice looking, the Soul Caliber text doesn’t blend in well, and I would have liked it more if it was the Soul Calibur Lambada.

“Taki Coloring Book”

See Adam Epstein

Nice idea, but I would have liked it if it was “Taki Color by Numbers” and had line art with numbers on it fading into a full color coloring book taki.

“The Soul Still Burns”

Eminmem lyrics? Good av, but the sprite needs a little retouching to clean it up.

“Weapons of Choice”

4chan much? The whole negative mask over nipples only works if you can see the rest of the body.

“Xianghua”

See Adam Epstein

I liked this one, and it may have made top three if outer glow wasn’t used on the sword.

“Yoshimitsu”

See Adam Epstein

Excellent avatar, but it needs more clever. It would have placed if it had text that said something along the lines of “T4: Rise of the Samurai.”

ANIMATIONS

“Soul Edge”

See Adam Epstein

#1: Artwork well done, animation is smooth and I’m in love with the border. Easily the best of show.

“Weapons of Future Past”

See Adam Epstein

#2: Solid idea, well implemented. The only problem is that “The battle has begun…” needs to be in a san-serif font so that it goes with the rest of the av.

“Yoshimitsu”

See Adam Epstein

#3: Another excellent avatar, but doesn’t have substance.

“Another Unoriginal AV”

See Adam Epstein

Another Unoriginal AV.

“Capcomstrike”

See Adam Epstein

Nicely done, but why Jin? Seems to me that guile would have been a better choice.

“Nightmare”

See Adam Epstein

Nice job, but the eye bugs me. If that would have been fixed, this av would have placed.

Scores so far

STILL

1st Place:
“Samba de Maracas” - 3

2nd Place:
“Kenshin is Scarface” - 2
"Misturushdown" - 2

3rd Place
"Burn" - 1
"Cassandra" - 1
"Glowing Taki" - 1
"Raphael" - 1
"Siegfried" - 1
"Soul Calibur Street Corner Salsa" - 1
"Taki Coloring Book" - 1
"The Soul Still Burns" - 1
"Weapons of Choice" - 1
"Xianghua" - 1
"Yoshimitsu" - 1

4th Place:
“Hollowpoint Ink” - 0
"Kiss My Gun" - 0
"Kojiroh" - 0

ANIMATED

1st Place:
“Soul Edge” - 4

2nd Place:
“Weapons of Future Past” - 2
"Yoshimitsu" - 2

3rd Place:
“Another Unoriginal AV” - 1
"Nightmare" - 1

4th Place:
“Capcomstrike” - 0

…seriously.

well i didnt finish it bc i wanted to use a different sprite, but this is what i uploaded b4 my net went out

i uploaded both so i can see what they look like on srk so i could see what needs to be fixed easier (i dunno why that helps me lol)… but i was planning on just using the standing animation with his arms folded, and have some of the bg mix in with him

oh and also, my first ideah was lightning. i had the animation just right… but it was way too big =(.

Try not to judge the entries by their titles. About half the titles (this one included) I make up because the artists don’t provide them.

“The Soul Still Burns” is from soul calibur 1, as in [voice=over-dramatic SC announcer]“Sophitia was seriously injured, but the soul still burns.”[/voice]

I always do that too. Good stuff there, Nas.

…seriously.

dood i thought u said titties! giggles

i know what rei meant by eminem lyrics… he made a soul calibur song called “hellbound” HOT track u should check it out if u a SC fan

I had no idea.

…seriously.

All the avs are sweet…excellent work everyone.

My favs:

Still:

See Adam Epstein

Animated:

See Adam Epstein

STILLS

#1: “Xianghua”

See Adam Epstein

The composition is nice. Doesn’t feel too empty at any point. My only complaint is that the sword sticks out too much.

#2: “Mitsurushdown”

See Adam Epstein

The Bloody background gets +10 cool points. I really would have liked to seen a different border though, as the red seems to take away the darkness of the piece. Blood on the sword would have been a nice addition, but only if it was done right.

#3: “Kiss My Gun”

See Adam Epstein

3rd was a really hard decision, because I thought a few deserved it. There isn’t too much going on in the avatar, but that’s a good thing this time. Also, black and pink are two colors that go together nicely.

ANIMATIONS

#1: “Soul Edge”

See Adam Epstein

Simply amazing. It’s soo fluid that I wonder how the maker got soo much in without going over the size limit? Great border as well.

#2: “Weapons of Future Past”

See Adam Epstein

The comic style works great with this avatar. Nice addition with the sound effects/words, but what kind of sound is “Ba-Krash?” My only complaint is that the end doesn’t flow into the beginning.

#3: “Nightmare”

See Adam Epstein

My 3rd place choice came down to “Nightmare” and “Capcomstrike.” Both good pieces, but I could really make out some of the words in the “Capcomstrike” without squinting. This avatar, of course, would have been the clear winner if the eye wasn’t so fast and jerky. The colors and borders are nice. I like how the border disappears near the top of the avatar.

ha, that could be a good one liner.

“yea, gul, Black and Pink always go good together…if you know what i mean.”

:clap:

lollerskates

Scores so far

STILL

1st Place:
“Xianghua” - 4
"Misturushdown" - 4

2nd Place:
“Samba de Maracas” - 3

3rd Place