About the arcade

Even though arcades are basically dead stateside does that really mean that arcades will stay dead. Remember, prior to Street Fighter 2 arcades were dying as well.

Yes arcades are dead, don’t need to rub it in our faces :wasted: But as long as you have a thriving competitive scene, then the arcade is just an extra add on. But it really helps your seen thrive if you do actually have an arcade.

They’re dead and they’re not coming back.

Every now and then a fighting game turns arcade competition around. It’s nothing new…

It’s posts like these that make you SRK’s sweetheart. :rolleyes:

You know it’s true :stuck_out_tongue:

Yep, you’re definitely going to be a pioneer in the arcade renaissance of 2009 :wgrin:

I have alot of friends at school who really miss arcades, so its not like people don’t want them around. It’ll come back soon enough.

Every arcade I’ve been to has either mostly fighters with broken controls and a few casual gamer cabs (driving, shooting, dance-dance, and other stupid shit), or mostly casual and ONE fighter, usually Tekken 5…and the controls are broken.

There’s an arcade in the Killeen Mall in Killeen Texas that have a decent amount of good games. I think there’s one near by my house that might be alright too.

I want the internet to die for killing arcades. Seriously.

only if they get a horse power far greater than those from current consoles.

back then that was the main reason why we loved arcades.

The point is arcades don’t do anything better than the home consoles now. So what they have to do (because I am such a great business analyst and totally know how to completely revamp the dead and buried arcade scene) is get into those card games that the kids love so much in Japan. Make a Pokemon one, get all the kids into it, and then they can continue with Mushi King, soccer ones, etc. Once arcades have a big money draw again (and make ancillery profits from selling cards), as well as a whole new audience, they can start to add all the other games for people to play as well. That’s my theory anyway, and I’m sticking to it.

I mean there are some sweet arcade boards out like the Tri-Force

Exactly! And I just noticed when I followed that link that they are making a Pokemon game for it right now that uses “pucks” instead of cards. If the hordes of American kiddies who love the Pocket Monsters could get their hands on that in arcades around here demand would surge. My friend worked at a hobby/gaming store, and he said Magic the Gathering and Pokemon cards basically kept that store afloat for 5 years. Plus I’ve always wanted to play that Key of Avalon game.

That’s exactly what I’m trying to say, when the arcades started dying back in the late 90’s. One of the reasons was competition from consoles, once we hit the 21 century they were officially dead. What I’m saying is that they don’t have to stay dead, Prior to Street Fighter 2 arcades were dead too. . .

So, in conclusion we just need an actually good new arcade game.

Yeah I’m sure drive-in movie theaters just really need a great new drive-in movie. I’m not saying it’s impossible, I’m just saying it’s very, very close.

Although this is the umpteenth topic about the arcade scene dying there still remains a variety of reasons why the arcades have gone down, and I don’t think you can simplify it to “they need another great game.”

Originally the arcade and console market showed a higher degree of contrast. Ever played Double Dragon on arcade then NES? Like night and day. The consoles just could not compete. Now the distinction has flipped, a lot of of times the home version of the game features more stuff than the arcade edition. (Heck even in NES days more people played that version of DD.)

Also consider it’s not the hardcore gamers that arcades need to win back, these are the people who are still clinging to the few arcades that are left. What killed the arcades was that average gamers no longer desired to go. So one more great game would not help, since it wouldn’t be widely available (I have to drive hours to get to any decent arcade, something a casual gamer will not do when they can just play from their house), and no matter how many hardcore gamers like it, the rest are more than happy to wait for it to come out on console and play more conveniently.

The big pros of the arcade used to be the community that you could create through gathering gamers in the same place, but being able to play from home, for people who weren’t hardcore enough to want to be “the best” at a game, and just wanted to have fun, allowed them to play with their friends and control the experience. (The same problem that movie theaters are running into, the fact that now with home entertainment centers people are much more happy to sit at home and control the experience than go to the movies. It’s why you see so many theaters opening new movies solely for late screenings, or going digital to save on scratched film, there is just a squeeze because only the numbers generally are down.)

Now you can play on the internet in many games and create those communities that way. Whether that is better or worse than in person is not the point I’m trying to make, it’s just that many internet based multiplayer games have stayed afloat and have captured both casual and hardcore gamers. You have clans playing games and just the average joe who logs in from time to time.

I think the most important thing that gives consoles, pcs, etc, an edge on arcades for the casual gamer is access and availability. Almost all gamers have a console of some sort, or know someone who does. That makes those games very convenient to play. With the advent of the internet for these systems, it also makes access to competition very simple as well. (Again the distinction between whether online comp is good or bad is not the point I’m trying to make, just that the internet has it’s part to play in why arcades are no longer in the same force they used to be.)

So needing a new game that was good would help, but you’d need the arcades to already be more numerous because I don’t think one game can drive that market anymore. (Besides most arcades I’ve been to, at least around here, the DDR machines are the one most likely to get casual, and even sometimes, non-gamers to play.) They would need a game that is better than the home version, (the casual gamer really doesn’t care whether a game is “arcade perfect” or anything like that, if it’s fun, it’s fun, and that’s all the casual gamer is there for) and the structure and set up of an arcade would need to change. Dual purpose setups, like LAN/Arcade, Resaurant/Arcade, help absorb the costs of running such a thing, and maybe able to get the casual gamer to come play. (Besides you get your later hardcore players out of the group of casuals who come to play, so that would be your target audience.)

There is actually an arcade at my school campus that does ok (UCF). It’s not like things were in the glory days, but it’s something. Plus they sell beer. Beer + Street Fighter = good. Granted many of us have better sticks for our home systems, but at leasts it’s a place to meet different players.

The problem with arcades these days is that to most gamers, the arcade systems don’t offer much that their home systems can’t. The arcade scene is basically being supported by games that have become niche, not mainstream.

I can’t help but wonder whether the relative inaccessablity of modern 2D fighting games hasn’t contributed to the relative decline of the scene. Having 30+ characters with 6 different grooves provides great depth for someone who has been playing for years, but rather intimidating to the newbie.

If another killer app was released arcade only, I could see a revival. The problem is, considering the power of home systems, it would probably be based around some sort of perephrial play that would be expensive to port for home use.

Or something.

i think the more important question that no one ever seems to bring up in these threads is not so much concerned with whether or not arcades are dead and gone, but the arcade culture. i mean, who’s preserving the culture of arcades? who can name all the arcades that have come and gone? why are there no websites that really categorize what happened? why do most people not remember yesterday’s top players who were crazily good at the older games and invented most of today’s tactics? what tournaments established today’s tournaments? Twin Galaxies seemed to be a good try, recording the high score thing, but it seems like fighting games don’t have an equivalent. nobody seems to really be able to tell you who the best MK2 player was and where they played, or the best Samsho 2 player, and whether or not you like those games the example carries across all games in terms of knowledge of gamer history; people just dont seem to acknowledge arcade culture generationally. no one seems to want to step up and preserve the culture, the tradition, nay, the soul of the whole thing, and that to ME is really why arcades are phasing out.

They didn’t have all these High-Tech consoles, computers(emus), and other home gaming devices back then either. No possibility of online play either.

It is a very different era from those days. Arcades may not be coming back again like they did before.