Absolute Question and Answer Thread (ASK YOUR QUESTIONS HERE!)

I could really use some advice. I recently decided that I want to build a supergun because it’d be a fun project. The only thing holding me back from starting this immediately is the fact that I don’t yet have a solution for 2 sticks (and this is a pre-req for starting it, as no one I know has a PSX compatible stick). My plans are to build the SG and get 2 FGW converters to use with PSX compatible sticks. My main issue is that out of all of the sticks I have, I only really have one I can mod easily to work with this, so I need some suggestions on the easiest/cheapest way to get a second stick to work.

I have 4 sticks right now:
360 TE-S - already dual modded with Teasy Strike so not much I can do
PS3 TE - I’m planning on dropping an MC Cthulhu in here so that’s the one stick that will work
360 HRAP EX-SE - stock
PS3 T6 hori wireless stick - stock

Is there an easy/cheap way for me to mod either of the last two? One of my issues is that I don’t want the RJ45 jack to take up the select button slot, and I’m fine with putting in another hole somewhere for it. Also in the case of the T6 stick, if I did anything with it at all I’d need to swap out the buttons and the stick so that drives the price up $50 right there. I’m also not opposed to finding a used tvc stick and dropping in an MC Cthulhu or something similar if that happens to be the best solution. Thanks for any help!

When I have this kind of problem, and can’t find any broken or bridged connections, or any other obvious problem, I start removing components until the problem goes away. If you end up with everything dismantled, test the individual PCBs and see if either still shows any symptoms. Either something is wired up wrong or one or both of the PCBs are wonky.

im thinking that its the board thought because i found out that at one point he tried hooking up led lights through the ground and a hole on the actual pcb.

HRAP EX-SE is easy, as long as you don’t want to Dual Mod. It has quick disconnects and the like to make part swaps easy.

Tekken 6 is not easy. You will have to grind and drill to fit Sanwa parts. Lots of mods.

Tekken 6 wireless is common ground, can be dual modded with PS3 using the stock PCB

HRAP EX-SE is not common ground. Stock PCB must be removed and replaced with a common ground xbox 360 PCB to dual mod.

The thing about the EX-SE is that I want it to keep 360 compatibility, I don’t care about it having PS3 compatibility at all. As far as I know there’s no way to get 360 + older consoles without also dual modding though right? The only things I know of to get an RJ 45 jack is the Kitty (which I didn’t think supported HRAP or does it?) and the MC Cthulhu which involves replacing the stock PCB with the common ground one. I’m leaning towards doing that if there’s no way to just get 360 support + RJ 45 jack.

Would still constitute of a dual mod, meaning using multiple PCBs. Since the HRAP EX-SE is not common ground, you cannot use it in a dual mod. You can, however, padhack a common ground 360 controller, such as the Madcatz brawalpad and stick it in there.

Only HRAP to support the Kitty is the HRAP premium VLX.

You can use an RJ-45 jack with the MC Cthulhu and Imp V2. Or just use the MC by itself.

Another option for RJ45 is the PS360+ when it releases. It will support Xbox 360, PS3, PS1/PS2 all through a single RJ45, without the need to dual mod.

That’s about what I figured. Thanks for the help :slight_smile:

Hey guys. Just wanted to ask about soldering irons. Is there a particular brand that is widely trusted for electrical jobs or is simply known for consistent performance? I’d really like something with a temp. gauge or at least a very stable constant temperature, but I don’t even know where to start looking.

There really isn’t much to say about them, or any kind of brand. Get something that’s only a few dollars and in the 15ish or so Watt range. I know one of our top modders, Gummowned, uses a regular RadioShack brand soldering iron. You can use higher wattages if you want, they just generate more heat than lower wattages. However, when starting out, it’s better to start with lower temperatures to make it work more slowly while you practice.

Bottom line is, The only point of the iron is to generate heat into a tip. Get something with a fine tip, with the right amount of power (which may take some experimenting. I like 30W, but I’m thinking of getting something with a bit more power)

Only thing that you should spend a lot of money on is a soldering station, then you may actually want to look for a specific brand or attributes.

Wow, thanks for the comprehensive reply!

Speaking of soldering kinda sorta not really, has anyone tried this stuff? Seems interesting, at least for those of us too lazy to learn to solder and won’t be doing particularly extreme projects.

I dont know if i would trust something like that. One of the biggest downsides is the “dries overnight” That would really slow down a mod or another project that you could be trying to do in a timely manner.

Hey guys I need some help. I’m almost finished building a custom stick. It’s all wired up to a Cthulhu board and worka perfect on PS3. I’m in the process of wiring a madcatz fightpad to a terminal that’s already set up. I’ve wired the back, start, and home button along with the red wire from the USB and the black wire from the USB (power and ground). I hooked those wires up to the terminal and plugged it into the 360 and the green lights flash but none of those buttons work.

Do I need to do anything with the green and white wire from the USB from the fightpad? Or do I need to hold down any buttons to use it on the 360? I would like to test out a few connections at a time before I wire up everything.
Any ideas. Please help! And thank u in advance

You need a Imp or a Double Pole Double Throw (DPDT) Switch.

The white and green wires needed to we wired to a switch on both the xbox 360 PCB and the Cthllhu

Read this thread for more Info

i know its best to use a little bit of solder when adding quick disconnects to your wires rather then just crimping them which is what i had been doing, but whats the best kind of solder to use? a cheap easy to use soldering gun for super beginner newbs?.

Don’t have to solder to add QDs, really. Just know the proper method of Crimping a Quick disconnect.

Spoiler
Spoiler

As far as a type of solder for just soldering? Get cheap, thin, leaded solder. Don’t get the lead free stuff, it has a higher melting point, which makes it a pain to work with. It’s also more expensive. You don’t have to buy a lot. The small 2.5 ounce size should last you a long time.

Type of soldering tool? I don’t like the soldering gun. You have to hold the trigger to heat it, which kind of wastes time, in my opinion. Just get a cheap soldering iron, no more than $10. Wattage in the 15ish to 20ish area. There isn’t a science for wattage, it just boils down to how hot you want your iron. If you’re starting out, you probably want it cooler so that solder will melt more slowly and solidify more quickly, so you’d want a lower wattage. Don’t spend a lot on an iron, unless if you’re planning on buying a soldering station.

But maybe you just wanted to solder so that you could crimp quick disconnects, and it’s unnecessary to solder for that :sad:.

But maybe you’re willing to learn how? Maybe you should watch http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wX1dZIC0Gp0

hey man thanks for all your great info!

Ok, I have a QCF case. The top panel is probably a little over half an inch thick and there is plexiglass on top of it. So how do I mount the pcb? Just screw, screws through the holes into the top panel till it’s sturdy enough without going through to where the artwork and plexiglass will be? Or do you guys have another more sophisticated method?

PCB feet like this:

Some have adhesive, so that you can stick them on, and screw the PCB into place.

I’ve also just used cable tie mounts with some zip ties holding it in like so:

Just stick the mount to the panel, and then put a tie into the hole, then pull the zip tie tightly to hold it down.

Thanks for the heads up nerrage! Also what size drill bit and screws do I need for mounting the Neutrik adapter?